Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity (9932 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Power Crisis ; See The Little Gadget That Rescued Me Last Night. PICTURES. / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 10:46am On Nov 03, 2009
Power crisis, i firmly believe still remains the biggest barrier between Nigeria and prosperity
I have concluded as above from an economists point of view. . . .
Others might argue about what pose the biggest threat to Nigeria and increased prosperity.
Do you agree or do you think something else pose a superior threat to power crisis? wink
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mrperfect(m): 11:01am On Nov 03, 2009
I think you are correct in my point of view, because this is one of the major culprit which most of the times fueled by ethnic obsession.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by akinalabi(m): 11:05am On Nov 03, 2009
Corruption is our biggest problem in my opinion
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Nov 03, 2009
akinalabi:

Corruption is our biggest problem in my opinion
Thanks for your input. . .
But from an economic point of view undecided
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by proudly9ja(m): 11:10am On Nov 03, 2009
I agree with you as regards the power issue.

I have said it over and over again. Give Nigerians 24/7 constant power supply and I assure you, we will do the rest. We will turn Nigeria to the fastest growing economy in the entire world. While other may term us as lazy people, I totally disagree. I know we are very hardworking and intelligent.
The FG should do this for us and we will do the rest.

And its easy. There are 36 states in the Federation. Let each state generate 500MW of electricity only and in less than 1.5years we will have 18,000MW of electricity. Thats more than we need for constant power!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Bennyboy11: 11:10am On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

Thanks for your input. . .
But from an economic point of view undecided

From an economic view point corruption is still the biggest problem
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 11:13am On Nov 03, 2009
Bennyboy11:

From an economic view point corruption is still the biggest problem
Fair enough. . .
We cant all agree on all fronts. . .I respect you and Akinlabi's inputs. . .  wink
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by OmoAlex: 11:26am On Nov 03, 2009
See, corruption is not our problem, It is possible for Nigeria to be corrupt and still generate enough electricity for the nation, build good roads, equip hospitals.  

It is possible for me as a corrupt contractor to inflate a road construction contract, collect 98% mobilization, settle my boys at the ministry and due process office, bribe all bribables and still construct a good road. Jullius berger n co worked in very corrupt enviroments, they did what they had to do to get the contracts but their work still remains even after many years.

Our main problem is stupidity and lack of intelligent reasoning in high office both at those giving contracts and those receiving the contracts. so it is a problem of Power[b] (Leadership) [/b]crises and Prosperity
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 11:29am On Nov 03, 2009
Omo_Alex:

See, corruption is not our problem, It is possible for Nigeria to be corrupt and still generate enough electricity for the nation, build good roads, equip hospitals.
It is possible for me as a corrupt contractor to inflate a road construction contract, collect 98% mobilization, settle my boys at the ministry and due process office, bribe all bribables and still construct a good road. Jullius berger n co worked in very corrupt enviroments, they did what they had to do to get the contracts but their work still remains even after many years.
Our main problem is stupidity and lack of intelligent reasoning in high office both at those giving contracts and those receiving the contracts. so it is a problem of Power[b] (Leadership) [/b]crises and Prosperity
Nice. . . .
I see where you are coming from!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mrofficial(m): 11:41am On Nov 03, 2009
Na corruption oooo.

And here it goes, once papa corrupt, pikin go emulate.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Bennyboy11: 12:33pm On Nov 03, 2009
Omo_Alex:

If you spend 4 or 5 time the amount needed to build a road then you will build less roads in total

The morale authority to oversee projects and insist on high standards is lost through corruption. How can you take the high ground and insist that a good job is done after taking a bribe?

The stupidity and lack of intelligence is what keeps the level of corruption as high and widespread as it is.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 12:41pm On Nov 03, 2009

Our main problem is stupidity and lack of intelligent reasoning in high office both at those giving contracts and those receiving the contracts. so it is a problem of Power (Leadership) crises and Prosperity

This is why government prefers giving big contracts to "white men" or foreigners.Give a black man a contract to construct another set of bridges to link V.I to the mainland and you watch out.Those bridges will collapse in less the five years while the older ones done by Julius Berger and others still remain intact (that is if the bridges ever get constructed in the first place)
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 12:49pm On Nov 03, 2009
Methinks our problem is Management.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 12:54pm On Nov 03, 2009
if you check out all those countries that are prosperos you will see that the ve always managed there resources an people very well.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by phuckNL: 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2009
proudly9ja:

I agree with you as regards the power issue.

I have said it over and over again. Give Nigerians 24/7 constant power supply and I assure you, we will do the rest. We will turn Nigeria to the fastest growing economy in the entire world. While other may term us as lazy people, I totally disagree. I know we are very hardworking and intelligent.
The FG should do this for us and we will do the rest.

And its easy. There are 36 states in the Federation. Let each state generate 500MW of electricity only and in less than 1.5years we will have 18,000MW of electricity. Thats more than we need for constant power!

Bro it is not that easy. You have forgotten about distribution and transmission. Even if we generate 60 billion MW. We need proper distribution and transmission terminals. How many times have you heard neighborhoods paying nepa for transformers that never show up. How many times have you heard that NEPA cables have been carted away by thieves. (nepa officials).
The problem really is corruption. PRIVATIZATION will fully solve the problem. IF the government completely removes its hand from POWER, the problem will be solved. How many times have you heard that MTN Cables have been stolen and as such we won't have access to phone communications anymore?
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by OyinlolaO(f): 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2009
corruption is one thing,
poor leadership is another thing
lack of intelligence another
                     but
selfishness and greed OMG!!!! u can never see beyond ur nose if u have these and oh we do have it in great proportions. this is the source of misappropriation of funds which = no money = no moving forward = going backward instead = Nigeria.

with people like us who care i see a tiny (hardly visible) light at the end of the tunnel but My God its so faint i wonder when its eventually going to shine.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 1:01pm On Nov 03, 2009
koyuid:

if you check out all those countries that are prosperos you will see that the ve always managed there resources an people very well.
So i can conclude that poor management of resources is a major element that contributed a large chunk to the current power crisis the country is mired in?!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 1:02pm On Nov 03, 2009
if you check out all those countries that are prosperos you will see that the ve always managed there resources an people very well

You have a point but i don't think that's our problem.Our problem is the way we think (i'm talking about BLACK AFRICANS).A lot of the people looting this country blind are well educated professionals. . .a lot of them in the management/economic field and yet do we see their impact on the economy? NO.

The "white men" who plundered our resources hundreds of years ago had to use guns to FORCE us to stop SELLING OUR OWN PEOPLE AS SLAVES.Think about that for a minute. . . . . . . . . . What does that tell you about our mentality? Funny thing is, there is no difference between then and now except GSM. . .lol. . .hehehehe

We actually had to be forced to quit harming ourselves (coz the sailiors didn't kidnap anyone for slavery.We did all the hard work ourselves. . . lol)

My people. . .lol grin
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 1:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
Most of our people (dont want to say leaders) lack management skills,no mission no vision dont interact with and explore our environment every aspect of our lives is disorganised nobody plans for anything etc. the developed world didnt just wake up and found themselves developed.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by jaybee3(m): 1:11pm On Nov 03, 2009
corruption/lack of leadership from an economic point of view
power from an infrastructural/developmental point of view

without an eradication to the corruption or perhaps zero tolerance on it coupled with a slight increase on good governance then their certainly wouldn't be any growth forecats on the infrastructural/development aspect.

They are all correlated.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 1:15pm On Nov 03, 2009
F
mccloud224:

You have a point but i don't think that's our problem.Our problem is the way we think (i'm talking about BLACK AFRICANS).A lot of the people looting this country blind are well educated professionals. . .a lot of them in the management/economic field and yet do we see their impact on the economy? NO.

The "white men" who plundered our resources hundreds of years ago had to use guns to FORCE us to stop SELLING OUR OWN PEOPLE AS SLAVES.Think about that for a minute. . . . . . . . . . What does that tell you about our mentality? Funny thing is, there is no difference between then and now except GSM. . .lol. . .hehehehe

We actually had to be forced to quit harming ourselves (coz the sailiors didn't kidnap anyone for slavery.We did all the hard work ourselves. . . lol)

My people. . .lol grin
funny stuff but true
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 1:17pm On Nov 03, 2009
jay bee:

corruption/lack of leadership from an economic point of view
[b]power from an infrastructural/developmental point of view[/b]Without an eradication to the corruption or perhaps zero tolerance on it coupled with a slight increase on good governance then their certainly wouldn't be any growth forecats on the infrastructural/development aspect.
They are all correlated.
True but then infrastructural developments wont happen if the power sector is piss poor you know. . .
It is imperative for Nigeria to sort out its power sector to see an increased prosperity economically
Virtually everything that keeps a nation moving requires a steady stream of ENERGY. . .  
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2009
On second thought i think our problem is that we are fu.ked up!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 1:23pm On Nov 03, 2009
Most of our people (dont want to say leaders) lack management skills,no mission no vision dont interact with and explore our environment every aspect of our lives is disorganised nobody plans for anything etc. the developed world didnt just wake up and found themselves developed.

I don't think so.There is virtually nobody at the upper tiers of Aso Rock who hasn't got at least a B.Sc.A lot of them have certificates that run into dozens.For instance :

Maurice Iwu : Educated abroad and well read.Did he use his expertise to save this country?NO.Why?Coz he knows there is no hope for the black man and it's pointless.WE ARE ALL OPPORTUNISTS.Simple as that.Black Africans will always be the same even 200 years from now.Our senseless greed knows no bounds.That is why we kept on kidnapping and selling our own people as slaves hundreds of years ago.No other race has ever done that.

IBB,Abacha,OBJ : All these people got some or most of their education abroad.Research on it.Did they use their management skills to develop the country?NO.Why?They know and understand that blacks don't really want progress.We can deny it all we want but it's true.Take Lagos for example.If LASTMA impounds your vehicle, the least you expect to spend is between N80,000 to N150,000 to get your vehicle back (depends on the gravity of the offense).The charges are ridiculously high but if the costs were like in the UK or US where you pay between $5 to $10 (i think) for parking tickets, i trust 9ja people.They will drive anyhow and abuse the whole thing coz after all, the offense is just "N500 -N1000".They will even spray the LASTMA official with a bunch of naira notes up to N5000,laugh at his face and tell him to get a better job. . .yes. . . This is the typical "educated" black African for you but even if you a billionaire and you are made to cough up over N100,000 for traffic offense, you will "behave" better next time.The only reason Lagos drives are a little more civil now is because of the huge amount they tend to lose if they are caught.So the only language a black man understands is force.He can't be reasoned with (even with education).Our leaders understand this and we can see how they "elect" themselves.THROUGH FORCE! ! !
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by lagbaja(m): 1:27pm On Nov 03, 2009
corruption is still top on the chart, if not for corruption, Nigeria should be generating much more megawatts than south Africa today if all previous allocations to the power sector were judiciously put to use. But, alas the corrupt leaders took them all. As long as corruption is here, we aint going no where, you can spend all the money in the world on power if you like. corruption will ground it all to a halt.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by koyuid(m): 1:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
you dont learn management in school
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 1:35pm On Nov 03, 2009
you dont learn management in school

OH YES. . management is taught in schools e.g

Economics
Marketing
Business studies
Bank and finance
Accounting
Political science
Public administration (i can go on forever but these are all MANAGEMENT SCIENCE courses. . . lol)

Besides, we all know the problem of this country.You don't need to have B.SC,M.SC,L.BC,T.LC and Run DMC to know that black Africans are completely bleeped up in mind,body and soul.Corruption will always remain and progress will always be halted.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by jaybee3(m): 1:38pm On Nov 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

True but then infrastructural developments wont happen if the power sector is piss poor you know. . .
It is imperative for Nigeria to sort out its power sector to see an increased prosperity economically
Virtually everything that keeps a nation moving requires a steady stream of ENERGY. . .  

true said and dats why i have stated that their is massive correlation between all the key criteria needed for to develop.

ask you self this question, would you trust any current leader to project manage a 50billion dollar power project?
most probably no simply because they are pissed corrupt so in order for us to reach the prosperity we so crave, all this key ingredients need to come together.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Mune: 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2009
Absolutely correct! With power,there will be economic prosperity,and as such: low poverty level. With economic prosperity,all the ethnic and tribalistic bruhaha will be a thing of the past.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by mccloud224(m): 1:55pm On Nov 03, 2009
true said and dats why i have stated that their is massive correlation between all the key criteria needed for to develop.

ask you self this question, would you trust any current leader to project manage a 50billion dollar power project?
most probably no simply because they are pissed corrupt so in order for us to reach the prosperity we so crave, all this key ingredients need to come together.

The only key ingredient keeping this country going is oil.Once the oil finishes, that's it.Trust me, PDP politic is based on oil.No oil,NO PDP.Once the oil runs out, the North will announce its intend to keep it's tomatoes and groundnut to itself,the South East will remember their cassava and yams, the South West will remember their cocoa and rubber produce.I mean face, what's all this rigging and political bloodshed about?It's oil money.The PDP stalwart on leave looted over $85 billion.Na from wia the money come from?Na "OYEL" money! ! !In another country, he would be facing at least 100 years in prison but here, he gets a slap on the wrist and people "sympathize" with him.The very suffering Nigerians "sympathize" with him and you begin to wonder why there is no progress.Petty thieves are shot daily at police stations. . .so much that nobody bothers anymore.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by blinx4real(m): 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2009
Every thing rises and falls on Leadership my pples,
The same way a crappy, incompetent CEo will crash a multibillion dollar company along with its capable staff and massive capital base, Nigeria is being systemically (note not systematically) collapsed.
The incompetence of our executives is so evident in their priorities and methods of resolving issues, i'll provide you with a classical example in the power issue.
Problem: Low power generation capacity;
Govt Solution: Award IPP contracts scattered all over the country from North to South
Addition problems arising from political location of IPP projects: Transportation of Turbine from Port to base, Laying of Gas pipelines to all IPP plants scattered all over the country, zero power distributon infrastructure, No gas processing facility available, etc etc I could go on and on and on,

A much simpler solutino would have been to adopt the European Commitee system, since the gas is in Niger Delta build the plants there, that removes the costly business of constructing pipelines, and transporting the turbines,
Simple solutions come only from minds that can reason, our current crop of leaders do not!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Shola2009(m): 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
Power crisis, i firmly believe still remains the biggest barrier between Nigeria and prosperity
thats spot on.
I believe if we can settle that Nigeria would certainly be a better place.
Increased standard of living,thriving business, and we would even draw foreign investors.
Not like now, that most production companies are closing shop cause the cost of powering their business is equivalent to the budget of a small country

people keep saying corruption! corruption!
Lies and corruption make up the fabric of ever nation.

Theres a difference btw coruption and greed.

why not steal $5mill instead of $20mil
our leaders are just wayy too greedy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Commence Investigation On Rivers Assembly Complex Fire / Buhari Embarks On 2-Day Visit To Morocco / Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.