Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:21 AM

What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? (1140 Views)

Should I Go For Marriage Or Career? / Sex Before Marriage Or Sex After Marriage? / Do Not Sponsor Her Education Or Career If She Is Not Your Wife: Miss Cokie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by naijainfogalery: 3:02pm On Nov 16, 2016
WHAT REALLY DEFINES A WOMAN; STATUS OR STATUS (MARRIAGE OR CAREER)?

I told a friend that ‘’being in a relationship doesn’t define who I am’’, and she went ballistic, saying ‘’so being single is good, people don’t respect girls your age who are still single’’. This statement got me thinking; I started wondering if what she said is true, if I am truly defined by my status, if the societies I find myself in have no respect for single ladies?

Every day I get the ‘’when will you marry speech’’? And I wonder if men go through the rigorous process women face in terms of being single. I keep wondering why our society believe that a woman’s place is with a man. Now am of the school of thought that ‘’marriage will happen when it is off the appointed time’’, it can’t be forced and shouldn’t be rushed. But then again I remember that I am of the African descent and I’m sure my mother already has a ‘’war room’’ built just for my sake.

So my question is; should being married define a woman, are men also under the same pressure women face every day, is there a way we can bring up the next generation to not dwell so much on marriage? Share your opinion with me, and I’m sure others will learn from your answers.

By Detoun

Source http://www.naijanani.com/%E2%80%8Bwhat-really-defines-a-woman-status-or-status-marriage-or-career/
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by naijainfogalery: 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2016
So what really makes a woman?
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 3:12pm On Nov 16, 2016
Go get married girl that's your highest achievement, coupled with your career will give you much prestige. I know feminist will bash me for his comment but that's the natural order of things...

2 Likes

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by naijainfogalery: 4:14pm On Nov 21, 2016
You are so wrong, getting married isnt a womans greatest achievement, Her greatest achievement will be knowing her self worth so as not to settle for anything less
talktonase:
Go get married girl that's your highest achievement, coupled with your career will give you much prestige. I know feminist will bash me for his comment but that's the natural order of things...
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hmmmmm. What is your self worth? Is it anything other than the power to bear seeds,and stand as an appendage or supportive being to your man? Your definition wont be anything more than the ability to compare yourself mentally, physically and in terms of financial resources. Acquire all these and you will still not have peace until you have that man that will rule over you and your desire shall be for him...
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Splinz(m): 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
naijainfogalery:
WHAT REALLY DEFINES A WOMAN; STATUS OR STATUS (MARRIAGE OR CAREER)?

I told a friend that ‘’being in a relationship doesn’t define who I am’’, and she went ballistic, saying ‘’so being single is good, people don’t respect girls your age who are still single’’. This statement got me thinking; I started wondering if what she said is true, if I am truly defined by my status, if the societies I find myself in have no respect for single ladies?

Every day I get the ‘’when will you marry speech’’? And I wonder if men go through the rigorous process women face in terms of being single. I keep wondering why our society believe that a woman’s place is with a man. Now am of the school of thought that ‘’marriage will happen when it is off the appointed time’’, it can’t be forced and shouldn’t be rushed. But then again I remember that I am of the African descent and I’m sure my mother already has a ‘’war room’’ built just for my sake.

So my question is; should being married define a woman, are men also under the same pressure women face every day, is there a way we can bring up the next generation to not dwell so much on marriage? Share your opinion with me, and I’m sure others will learn from your answers.

By Detoun

Source http://www.naijanani.com/%E2%80%8Bwhat-really-defines-a-woman-status-or-status-marriage-or-career/

A woman is not define by career nor marriage.

Now, that you're not in a relationship at a point in time doesn't necessarily makes you a lesser woman. What do they say again? "There's a time for everything".

But then, what is it really that defines a woman Simple. A woman is define by womanhood!
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
Marriage is kinda synonymous to giving up some dreams. I believe it's personal growth and career and the name carved for herself any idiot can get married but a career that takes skills.
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
Hmmmmm. What is your self worth? Is it anything other than the power to bear seeds,and stand as an appendage or supportive being to your man? Your definition wont be anything more than the ability to compare yourself mentally, physically and in terms of financial resources. Acquire all these and you will still not have peace until you have that man that will rule over you and your desire shall be for him...

Am curious why does the achievement of a woman revolve around a man ? It actually makes no sense mother there's a had a great achievement and she was not married so would you say she never had the greatest achievement just because she didn't marry a man.
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
pcguru1:

Am curious why does the achievement of a woman revolve around a man ? It actually makes no sense mother there's a had a great achievement and she was not married so would you say she never had the greatest achievement just because she didn't marry a man.
Such kind of women have a prima facie appearance of strong will and perseverance meanwhile you are not there when she cries, the sleepless nights,the cold nights of tortuous loneliness...
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
Such kind of women have a prima facie appearance of strong will and perseverance meanwhile you are not there when she cries, the sleepless nights,the cold nights of tortuous loneliness...
Big deal everyone regardless of sex does the same. Sadly I can't cry but I get severely depressed. You'd be surprised to see men who break down to cry. So am waiting for your answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 9:05pm On Nov 21, 2016
pcguru1:

Big deal everyone regardless of sex does the same. Sadly I can't cry but I get severely depressed. You'd be surprised to see men who break down to cry. So am waiting for your answer
You want to drift the topic to the cliff right...
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
You want to drift the topic to the cliff right...
No am only curious as to why you think a woman's achievement is measured by marriage. That's comment was just a counter to refute your previous point. Am actually eager to hear your views, trust me am not looking to tackle your comments.
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
pcguru1:

No am only curious as to why you think a woman's achievement is measured by marriage. That's comment was just a counter to refute your previous point. Am actually eager to hear your views, trust me am not looking to tackle your comments.
I hope you are a believer of the creation story? After man disobeyed God,a pronouncement was made upon both of them.The ground was cursed and man had to till it before he eats till he returns to dust.The woman shall suffer pain in child bearing as her desire shall be for her husband and he shall rule over her...I hope this answers your question.
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
talktonase:
I hope you are a believer of the creation story? After man disobeyed God,a pronouncement was made upon both of them.The ground was cursed and man had to till it before he eats till he returns to dust.The woman shall suffer pain in child bearing as her desire shall be for her husband and he shall rule over her...I hope this answers your question.

I see ........the religious approach. This doesn't answer my question it just takes a source that's not meant to be opposed. Anyway I personally cannot judge a woman's achievement on marriage. I don't see the marriage institution as something to serve as an inspiration as the foundation is centered around companionship. I believe a better metric is contribution to the society in terms of knowledge sharing and improvement in the society be it in any form it comes. But that's my opinion
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 9:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
pcguru1:

I see ........the religious approach. [b]This doesn't answer my question it just takes a source that's not meant to be opposed. [/b]Anyway I personally cannot judge a woman's achievement on marriage. I don't see the marriage institution as something to serve as an inspiration as the foundation is centered around companionship. I believe a better metric is contribution to the society in terms of knowledge sharing and improvement in the society be it in any form it comes. But that's my opinion
Disobedience and rebellion is what has placed us in our predicament!
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by talktonase(m): 9:54pm On Nov 21, 2016
pcguru1:

I see ........the religious approach. [b]This doesn't answer my question it just takes a source that's not meant to be opposed. [/b]Anyway I personally cannot judge a woman's achievement on marriage. I don't see the marriage institution as something to serve as an inspiration as the foundation is centered around companionship. I believe a better metric is contribution to the society in terms of knowledge sharing and improvement in the society be it in any form it comes. But that's my opinion
Disobedience and rebellion is what has placed us in our predicament!
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Leriebloom(f): 10:09pm On Nov 21, 2016
Being single is not a bad thing,a single woman has the ability to dedicate herself to her career. If your work is important to you, it is your opportunity to develop your career. Being single helps you know yourself and develop yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 21, 2016
Career first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:35am On Sep 09, 2017
naijainfogalery:
So what really makes a woman?
the quality and content of what is in between her ears, what she has done for herself materially,financially or academically, the services she has offered to men and women in her field and the LIVES SHE HAS IMPACTED. THAT'S WHAT MAKES A WOMAN to those within and around her.basically her service to humanity while she's still alive

1 Like

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:39am On Sep 09, 2017
talktonase:
Disobedience and rebellion is what has placed us in OUR PREDICAMENT!
what does the capitalized word mean?what predicament are you talking about?
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:42am On Sep 09, 2017
pcguru1:

I see ........the religious approach. This doesn't answer my question it just takes a source that's not meant to be opposed. Anyway I personally cannot judge a woman's achievement on marriage. I don't see the marriage institution as something to serve as an inspiration as the foundation is centered around companionship. I believe a better metric is contribution to the society in terms of knowledge sharing and improvement in the society be it in any form it comes. But that's my opinion
exactly. Women like Oprah Winfrey accomplished a lot and was an extemely succesful american media woman years when she was single before she eventually got into a relationship
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Lalas247(f): 10:45am On Sep 09, 2017
Career Biko
Our achievements shouldn't be judged on if you have a man or not ..... that's weak

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:45am On Sep 09, 2017
talktonase:
oga Ade I'm a Christian and science is advanced.you said the Bible said women shall suffer pain in child bearing abi? Bros there's something called epidural

A woman can CHOOSE not to suffer pain in child bearing.google it,I'm not the one going to educate you on that
Secondly there's something called power of choice. I don't have to be married or buy the marriage idea to have not just a child but children of my choice

This is 21st century. I can eat my cake and have it

1 Like

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:48am On Sep 09, 2017
Lalas247:
Career Biko
Our achievements shouldn't be judged on if you have a man or not ..... that's weak
true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by Becina(f): 10:50am On Sep 09, 2017
I don't understand this life ,you're single people complain, you're in a relationship problem, then you get married ah its a Thorn.
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 10:53am On Sep 09, 2017
talktonase:
sadness and depression is not peculiar to a gender. Anyone can get sad over any thing or issue they find painful. Stop watching too much nollywood it makes you think shallow and gives you the impression every single woman cries at night alone because of her marital status.many of this nollywood storylines are written by school dropouts who went to the movie industry, unexposed, village chauvinistic men.I don't want to mention names
Re: What Really Defines A Woman; Status Or Status (marriage Or Career)? by dangotesmummy: 11:00am On Sep 09, 2017
talktonase:
there are good marriages that have stood the test of time and there are also bad marriages but you painted the order of things according to your societal expectations/demand or cultural/religious inclinations....

The world has evolved past that. You can achieve or accomplish whatever you want to regardless of your marital status.at work or in business no one is interested in whether you're married or not.the question usually is can you do the job? What does he/she have to offer.your marital status is none of anybody's business at the end of the day

Meanwhile marriage comes with so much expectations, cycles and regemented lifestyle that chokes your freedom, time, life and space. It Allso comes with family burden that all the after job comes marriage noise makers will not be there to help you carry

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How To Have Sex With A Friend / Oboi! I’m Walking Into 2017 A Chaste Person –sexy 27-yr-old Lady (photo) / This Girls Boot Is Appealing- See Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.