Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson (38601 Views)

Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa / 30 Things You Should Know About Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther / Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by ayyoshert: 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2016
LordAdam7:

I put it to you that if the whole of Yoruba land was like the Sahel or Sahara, virtually 80% of Yorubas today would have been Muslims and the Oyo and Ife thrones would have been completely Islamized to become Emirates.

Just look at any 19th century map and consider the Golden century of Fulani dominance in what is now present Nigeria, Niger, and Chad. And how these extended to modern day Mali, Senegal, Gambia et cetera.

The topography was the same and the indigenous tribes fell to the Islamic Fulanis, Berbers, and Arabs.

Even Jerusalem fell to the Islamists. And the Pope launched at least two unsuccessful Crusades against the Muslims.

So don't give the Yorubas too much credit. I know the Yorubas are brave and formidable opponents, but if they couldn't win back Illorin then you should know that if all of Yorubaland had the topography of Illorin, a descendant of Dan Fodio would have dipped a Koran in the Atlantic ocean.

Afonja's betrayal to Yorubaland and his fellow countrymen was an indirect act of his rebellion to his King.

I'm not sure why you guys rever him that much (apart from his well-honed Machiavellian skills). He was a traitor to the sworn King of the Yoruba people, and single-handedly created the vermins that threatened Yoruba independence the most and almost revamped Yoruba land as we know it.

Even the woman that helped Ife win against their invaders deserves more commendation that Afonja.

Anyway, it is all a matter of perspective. And a people are free to treat their important figures how they deem fit.

But perhaps this tendency of the Yorubas to extol people who every neighbor deem to be repulsive is why Yorubas are seen as scheming, back-biting, and treacherous people.

I'm forced to say it's in your genes. It's how you guys see life. And it is why you guys would never be trusted.

And it is why regardless of how you paint AFONJA to be a hero (practically revising history), we'd always tag Yorubas as AFONJAs to mean a people who have no problem being treacherous.

It may seem harsh. But the truth is BITTER.

Awolowo could have reigned on Gowon to uphold the Aburi Accord that would have prevented the war and actually made Nigeria more prosperous. But he didn't and in fact made it possible for Gowon to win the war. This is despite a more astute Yoruba at the time Soyinka spending time in prison for the exact opposite thing. Today, no Yoruba would want to tag that singular action of Awolowo as a mistake or treachery of Southern interests.

Tinubu repeated same in 2015, essentially rebelling against the Afenifere (like Afonja against the Alaafin) and led Yorubaland to the pillaging of Northern interests and in treachery of Southern interests. Even today, while the same Afenifere he so despised are closing ranks to see that no Yoruba son suffers the Abiola treatment again, powerful Yoruba men (like in times of old) such as Fashola and Fayemi are actually helping the Fulanis do the opposite.

Is it just me, or don't u guys see history repeating itself.

You guys can make NL a pan-Yoruba forum and seek to police opinion and effectively remain in an echo chamber of "All Yorubas are Heroes," or "Yorubas aren't more treacherous than other ethnicities." But your actions prove otherwise.

Now as 2019 approaches, you guys have started courting your cousins and neighboring Southern groups because like again the Fulani monster than an AFONJA re-incarnate created has become too destructive, and you guys want to rein in for the good of Yorubaland and to protect Southern interests.

Exactly the same as a few centuries ago.

So maybe, we have to rest this issue of AFONJA and talk about something less divisive as the importance of Eko (Lagos) to the development of Nigeria (in fact, North, South Protectorate, and Colony of Lagos were joined in 1914 because the North Protectorate was bleeding money and the British wanted the South Protectorate and Colony of Lagos especially to provide the money to maintain their hold of the North). Apparently the feeding bottle system in Nigeria is exactly 112 years old.

And more importantly, how much it benefits the Yorubas (especially with their media behemoth) to rally around with other Southern interests to make fiscal restructuring happen before 2025.

Because as far as this AFONJA issue is concerned, there's no amount of lipstick that would make non-Yorubas see him as nothing more than what Johnson portrayed him as--a reckless, mindless power-crazed traitor who reared the beast that killed him and sacked his ancestral home.

-Lord
You have spoken well, truth is bitter.
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Noblecx: 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
vicadex07:

lol... stubborn guy. You too like trouble
Lol! Dude is actually the other way round.
I don't like things troubling me.
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
I suppose one can thank Afonja for being the first person to successfully rebel against the Alaafinate; key word successful but really don't get your hopes up with these old Yoruba dudes. From my study so far, all I see is egos clashing over petty issues. To be honest except for Awolowo (whom I still doubt by the way), I don't think we have such great Yoruba leaders, no offense but these guys were able to centralize an entire area with access to the coast, the coast! they never even tried to build ships. Aromire and co just sat there.

I think most Yoruba people don't get the fact that their ancestors spent the last century dealing in human souls. The economy until early protectorate was slavery, they killed the farms, they put the blacksmiths out of work, the artisans into slavery.

For me, our history is simply a shameful reminder that perhaps it's true; to be a black man is to a waiter at the Earth's banquet.

Olu317:
You know nothing about History. If Afonja wasn't a great physical and spiritual warrior,how come his name is forever in the mindsets of ILORIN YORUBAs and the rest of Yoruba Race even the Abdusallam whose mother was Yoruba which is not even important . Little do you know.Do you know how Emir Momoh died? Ilorin was recreated by the British Empire in 1895/1896 after the British defeated the Ilorin Army commanders who were the Baloguns who made the Emir their puppet. Irrespective of Afonja rebellion,he remained unshaven even unto death. That was A GREAT WARRIOR.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by ayyoshert: 8:56pm On Dec 13, 2016
I think there is the account of the the three Ibadan Generals in which without their act of valor displayed at Oshogbo by defeating and repelling the Fulani back to Ilorin, by now the whole of Yorubaland would have been subjugated by them.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 9:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
To be honest with you, the only I have seen Yoruba fail this country and especially the South is in leadership. We have not been able to practice what we preach, for me I think any tribe can be accommodating so the whole accommodating rubbish has to stop.

Meanwhile let's look at positive areas where Yoruba people have contributed better.

Arguably one can say that Yoruba people did sorta set precedent for compulsory education. Perhaps the first community to normalize child education, again am not saying Yoruba people are the first to go to school am just saying they made it fashionable for other people.

Religious tolerance and freedom. The Fulani brought their jihad to us and we fought them hard, they thought we were push overs but we were organized but for the petty disagreements between nobles, Ilorin may never have needed to write that letter and brought their main army. You should be thanking us because if they had won, then you would also be a Muslim with Rochas Okorocha grin grin as Emir of Imo. But really who else could have beat them back? Benin? gimme a break.

In the end we are all saying the same thing.

LordAdam7:

I put it to you that if the whole of Yoruba land was like the Sahel or Sahara, virtually 80% of Yorubas today would have been Muslims and the Oyo and Ife thrones would have been completely Islamized to become Emirates.

Just look at any 19th century map and consider the Golden century of Fulani dominance in what is now present Nigeria, Niger, and Chad. And how these extended to modern day Mali, Senegal, Gambia et cetera.

The topography was the same and the indigenous tribes fell to the Islamic Fulanis, Berbers, and Arabs.

Even Jerusalem fell to the Islamists. And the Pope launched at least two unsuccessful Crusades against the Muslims.

So don't give the Yorubas too much credit. I know the Yorubas are brave and formidable opponents, but if they couldn't win back Illorin then you should know that if all of Yorubaland had the topography of Illorin, a descendant of Dan Fodio would have dipped a Koran in the Atlantic ocean.

Afonja's betrayal to Yorubaland and his fellow countrymen was an indirect act of his rebellion to his King.

I'm not sure why you guys rever him that much (apart from his well-honed Machiavellian skills). He was a traitor to the sworn King of the Yoruba people, and single-handedly created the vermins that threatened Yoruba independence the most and almost revamped Yoruba land as we know it.

Even the woman that helped Ife win against their invaders deserves more commendation that Afonja.

Anyway, it is all a matter of perspective. And a people are free to treat their important figures how they deem fit.

But perhaps this tendency of the Yorubas to extol people who every neighbor deem to be repulsive is why Yorubas are seen as scheming, back-biting, and treacherous people.

I'm forced to say it's in your genes. It's how you guys see life. And it is why you guys would never be trusted.

And it is why regardless of how you paint AFONJA to be a hero (practically revising history), we'd always tag Yorubas as AFONJAs to mean a people who have no problem being treacherous.

It may seem harsh. But the truth is BITTER.

Awolowo could have reigned on Gowon to uphold the Aburi Accord that would have prevented the war and actually made Nigeria more prosperous. But he didn't and in fact made it possible for Gowon to win the war. This is despite a more astute Yoruba at the time Soyinka spending time in prison for the exact opposite thing. Today, no Yoruba would want to tag that singular action of Awolowo as a mistake or treachery of Southern interests.

Tinubu repeated same in 2015, essentially rebelling against the Afenifere (like Afonja against the Alaafin) and led Yorubaland to the pillaging of Northern interests and in treachery of Southern interests. Even today, while the same Afenifere he so despised are closing ranks to see that no Yoruba son suffers the Abiola treatment again, powerful Yoruba men (like in times of old) such as Fashola and Fayemi are actually helping the Fulanis do the opposite.

Is it just me, or don't u guys see history repeating itself.

You guys can make NL a pan-Yoruba forum and seek to police opinion and effectively remain in an echo chamber of "All Yorubas are Heroes," or "Yorubas aren't more treacherous than other ethnicities." But your actions prove otherwise.

Now as 2019 approaches, you guys have started courting your cousins and neighboring Southern groups because like again the Fulani monster than an AFONJA re-incarnate created has become too destructive, and you guys want to rein in for the good of Yorubaland and to protect Southern interests.

Exactly the same as a few centuries ago.

So maybe, we have to rest this issue of AFONJA and talk about something less divisive as the importance of Eko (Lagos) to the development of Nigeria (in fact, North, South Protectorate, and Colony of Lagos were joined in 1914 because the North Protectorate was bleeding money and the British wanted the South Protectorate and Colony of Lagos especially to provide the money to maintain their hold of the North). Apparently the feeding bottle system in Nigeria is exactly 112 years old.

And more importantly, how much it benefits the Yorubas (especially with their media behemoth) to rally around with other Southern interests to make fiscal restructuring happen before 2025.

Because as far as this AFONJA issue is concerned, there's no amount of lipstick that would make non-Yorubas see him as nothing more than what Johnson portrayed him as--a reckless, mindless power-crazed traitor who reared the beast that killed him and sacked his ancestral home.

-Lord

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by tunene66: 9:36pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander:
Yes there is a letter. However it does not explicitly say 'come and be king over us at Ilorin' It was a call for help against the pagans bullying them. The flag symbolizes Sokoto overlordship over the muslims of Ilorin, not the pagans.

Look except the book I just downloaded I have different books that deal with Yoruba history with reference to the decline/fall of the Oyo Empire n the Inter Ethnic wars of the 19th century.

It is a fact that Ilorin came under the influence of the Sokoto Caliphate. Whether its justified or not is debatable.

If the Emir Abdulsalami was only for the Muslims, who then is the King of the Non-Muslims in Ilorin?

If I get my facts right, there are six(6) king makers in Ilorin namely the four baloguns (Ajikobi, Gambari, Alanamu and Fulani), the Baba Isale and the Magaji Aare of Ilorin. All these are Yorubas. Till date they appoint the Emir for the whole Ilorin Emirate

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 10:36pm On Dec 13, 2016
naijalander:
To be honest with you, the only I have seen Yoruba fail this country and especially the South is in leadership. We have not been able to practice what we preach, for me I think any tribe can be accommodating so the whole accommodating rubbish has to stop.

Meanwhile let's look at positive areas where Yoruba people have contributed better.

Arguably one can say that Yoruba people did sorta set precedent for compulsory education. Perhaps the first community to normalize child education, again am not saying Yoruba people are the first to go to school am just saying they made it fashionable for other people.

Religious tolerance and freedom. The Fulani brought their jihad to us and we fought them hard, they thought we were push overs but we were organized but for the petty disagreements between nobles, Ilorin may never have needed to write that letter and brought their main army. You should be thanking us because if they had won, then you would also be a Muslim with Rochas Okorocha grin grin as Emir of Imo. But really who else could have beat them back? Benin? gimme a break.

In the end we are all saying the same thing.

Only people in their pettiness say the Yorubas are not accommodating. They trounce every tribe in Nigeria on the accommodating front.

And about Education, now that's something the entire South has to thank the Yorubas for. Till date, the Yorubas still run the bulk of the leading tertiary institutions in Nigeria

But finally on the war front, it's exactly the same point I'm trying to make.

Thank heavens for the topography, if not Afonja's mistake would have been very costly for the entire South. Maybe my name would have been Adamu instead of Adam if not for the topography (and okay I'll say it, the rally of the Yorubas to push back the invaders).

-Lord

11 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by lawani: 11:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
GOOD THREAD! TO MOVE AHEAD, YOU RECOGNISE EFFORTS OF YOUR HEROES PAST, THOSE ARE PEOPLE LIKE AARE AFONJA AND AARE LATOSISA WHO WERE FOREMOST YORUBA NATIONALISTS WHO DIED AT THE POST OF PROTECTING YORUBA INTEGRITY. YOU DONT RECOGNISE AND PAY OBEISANCE TO THEM? DONT YOU CANT MOVE AHEAD! AFONJA DIED FOR SAYING THE POST OF ILORIN IMAM MUST NOT BE MADE HEREDITARY, HE WAS KILLED BY THE JAMAA OR BRAINWASHED MUSLIMS. AFONJA DID NOTHING WRONG AT ALL. HE WAS A PRINCE AND CONTESTED FOR THE ALAAFIN AND LOST, HE WAS COMPENSATED WITH A POST BENEATH HIM AS A PRINCE BUT HE TOOK IT. HE JOINED WITH OTHERS TO REMOVE ALAAFIN AOLE. IF AFONJA WAS ALAAFIN, OYO MAY NOT HAVE FALLEN BUT YOU PUT AN AOLE WHO SOLD HIS FRIEND INTO SLAVERY? THEN YOU ASKED FOR YOUR NATION TO FALL! AFONJA JOINED WITH OTHERS TO REMOVE THE ALAAFIN, THEN REFUSED TO RECOGNISE THE NEW ALAAFIN AS HE WASNT CONSULTED. THAT WAS NOT WRONG. HE DID NOT EVEN CONTEST THE SECOND TIME BUT HE WAS A STAKEHOLDER.

HE LOST HIS LIFE AT THE HANDS OF THE JAMAA AT ILORIN BUT THE JAMAA LET HIS FAMILY REMAIN, REBUILT HIS HOUSE AND TITLED HIS DESCENDANTS. QUITE REMARKABLE. SHOW ME AN EQUIVALENT ANYWHERE! AFONJA WAS A GREAT MAN! AND LATER THE JAMAA TOOK HIS ADVISE AND MADE THE EMIR POSITION NON HEREDITARY!

WHAT A GREAT MAN! HE MUST BE IMMORTALIZED.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:56pm On Dec 13, 2016
Op,this very rich thread will not be complete without giving the account of the battle of Osogbo. That's where the fulanis met their waterloo. I would like to know why the Ibadan war Generals did not march on Ilorin and retake it from the Alimi's descendants and allies having defeated the fulani soldiers in that battle.

The so-called Emir of Ilorin will still go back to where Alimi,his progenitor came from ONE DAY. It is just a matter of time. Ilorin belongs to Oodua. I am proud of Afonja though he was treacherous and overtly ambitious, he was a great and brave warrior who fought to the last breath of his life.

Alimi,like every other fulani,was a very cunning, vindictive and treacherous person. He used religion to brainwash Solagberu of Oke-suna who should have provided the much needed assistance to Afonja during the palace coup.

The seat of Emir of Ilorin represents deceit,treachery,betrayal etc. We (Yorubas) should not allow it to stand on our soil. I have no doubt in our capabilities to correct the mistake of Afonja and just that we shall do ONE DAY. There is a score to settle !

deceit,treachery,betrayal etc

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by harffie(m): 6:01am On Dec 14, 2016
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by obiageIi(f): 7:40am On Dec 14, 2016
naijalander:
Wait till you see the drama between Efunsetan and Latosa. Pure Nollywood!

Oh really
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 8:53am On Dec 14, 2016
Consolidation & Balance of Power between Ibadan, Egba & Ijebu

1. The Evacuation of Apomu

We have seen above that the people ot Apomu being Ifes allied themselves with Maye at the Gbanamu war, hence after the destruction of Erunmu, they were afraid that the next wave will overwhelm themselves. They therefore sent an Oyo resident at Apomu, chief Agbeni by name, to encamp on the further side of the river Osun as an outpost, to watch and report upon the movements of the Ibadan army. But the Ibadans were not meditating any revenge on them; yet they were so ill at ease that they would not even wait for a report from their outpost, but one chief after another, one master of a large compound after another deserted the town for Ipetumodu till only the Oyo refugees remained at Apomu. At Ipetumodu they were however restless ; it seemed unreasonable that they should be famishing in another town when food could be obtained in their own farms ; therefore bands of pillagers and kidnappers issued daily from Ipetumodu to the Apomu farms destroying whatever they could not carry away. They also grew suspicious of Agbeni and sent a strong force to drive him away from the post where they had located him. But Agbeni was determined to maintain his ground, and he therefore dispatched messengers to Ibadan to ask for help. Only one desperate battle was fought between them, and the Ipetumodu men apprehending danger to themselves if they should wait to offer a second, as by that time reinforcements from Ibadan might have come, they retreated hastily home.

The Ibadan army arrived too late and were disappointed to find the Apomu army gone ; they were loth to return home empty handed as they lived by plunder, they therefore began to loot the houses of the residents at Apomu. But these were their kinsmen, the Oyo refugees who were left behind by the townsmen, and nearly every one of them saw a friend or a relative whom he was in duty bound to protect from violence and robbery. These relatives went over to them and with them to Ibadan. Lakanle their leader took away all his, and his friend Agbeni came over also with him. Lanase went over with all his belongings to Osun the chief of the cavalry, and so Apomu became deserted. Agbeni was located in Lakanle's farm and the site has since been included in the overgrown town and known as Agbeni 's quarter to this day with a market in front of his house. Chief Agbeni survived Lakanle and all his contemporaries and died at a good old age in May 1860. Thus the Oyo refugees at Apomu were merged with the Ibadan settlers, and helped to swell the population of that important town.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 8:58am On Dec 14, 2016
1819: Ipetumodu & Owiwi

The Apomu and Ipetumodu people having drawn attention to themselves, after a short respite the restless Ibadan chiefs declared war against Ipetumodu for allying with Apomu to kidnap the Ibadan caravans, who went to buy corn at Ikire, Iwo, Ile Igbo before the Erumu wars. Any pretext, however flimsy, would do when they were on mischief bent. It was just at this time that the Ijebus declared war against Abeokuta, and sought the alliance of the Ibadans. But they could not send them adequate help and advised the Ijebus rather to wait a while and let them get Ipetumodu off their hands. But the Ijebus would not wait, the Ibadans, therefore had to send them a small contingent under one Olugun^. The last decisive battle between the Ijebus and the Egbas was the celebrated battle of Owiwi (a stream so called) where the Ijebus were sorely defeated; they lost all their principal fighting men and their power was completely crushed ! Olugunk with his small force escaped to Oniyefun a town on the right bank of the river Ogun where he remained for a long time, apparently seeking for an opportunity to return home. The Ibadans on the other hand were successful in their own expedition, Ipetumodu was taken and those who escaped fled to Ile Ife their chief town.

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Olu317(m): 9:07am On Dec 14, 2016
naijalander:
I suppose one can thank Afonja for being the first person to successfully rebel against the Alaafinate; key word successful but really don't get your hopes up with these old Yoruba dudes. From my study so far, all I see is egos clashing over petty issues. To be honest except for Awolowo (whom I still doubt by the way), I don't think we have such great Yoruba leaders, no offense but these guys were able to centralize an entire area with access to the coast, the coast! they never even tried to build ships. Aromire and co just sat there.

I think most Yoruba people don't get the fact that their ancestors spent the last century dealing in human souls. The economy until early protectorate was slavery, they killed the farms, they put the blacksmiths out of work, the artisans into slavery.

For me, our history is simply a shameful reminder that perhaps it's true; to be a black man is to a waiter at the Earth's banquet.

.I can only affirm one thing here and that's the beauty of self expression. Do you even know it was the evil deed of the Oyomesi that created problems for Alaafinnate when they did lied and perfected the method of forcing AROLE OBA to commit suicide after his father's demise. I can categorically imagine how many would had ran away for their dear lives due to this reason(because Yoruba will say “ILE SANMI DUN JE JU OYE LO",. That was where the problems really started from because they overturned the status quo just to be able to curtail the excess power of Alaafin. Having noticed this, it was practically impossible for some of the things you mentioned as per proper development to be made to become reality because THEY WERE STACKED ILLITERATES. That's why the only thing they could remember was they migrated from Middle East which were proven by information such as these. Lineage Eulogy(ORIKI IDI LE), rendition, mourning of the death(difference between young dead ones and aged),Believe of life after death, worship of seven skull of the dead king of Israel under the name of Obatala , inheriting once brother's wife after one's brother's death, Elders as family heads etc. These were some of the things the remember because they were customs Yoruba naturally aren't the traveling type, even when they do, they always refer to their ancestral home,so these also gave rise to the problem you empahise. But in my greatest shocking finding was that, THE BRITISH EMPIRE NEARLY KILLED YORUBA RACE BECAUSE THEY CREATED NIGERIA AT THE DETRIMENT OF YOURUBAS. IMAGINE, IF IT WAS A YORUBA NATION, AND IN 1950S, AWOLOWO BROUGHT TELEVISION TO WESTERN NIGERIA, WHICH WAS THE FIRST IN AFRICA, WHEN IN FACT MANY COUNTRIES IN EUROPE WERE NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO DO SUCH, THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW THAT 50 YEARS AFTER, WE WOULD HAVE BE ON EQUAL ECONOMIC PROWESS WITH SOUTH KOREAN ON A LOW KEY BUT ON A HIGH NOTE, WITH THE SAME LEVEL JAPAN. WHY DID I MENTION JAPAN? JAPAN DOES NOT HAVE ONE SINGLE NATURAL RESOURCE. And Now am Happy because the GOD whom was our ANCIENT GOD has returned unto us because we have returned unto him. Almighty God has proclaim our land as the Land to worship him. And I hope you catch this spiritual information. They will come and praise Almighty God in Yoruba land either WORLD LIKES IT OR NOT. WE ARE THE CHOSEN RACE.SULTAN BELLO CAUGHT THE VISION WHEN HE EXPOSED US, BISHOP AJAYI CROWTHER TOLD THEM IN BRITAIN, REV. SAMUEL JOHNSON TOLD THEM IN HIS BOOK BUT THEY BURNT THE ORIGINAL COPY OR THREW IT AWAY. LOOK AROUND YOU, IN YORUBA LAND. YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 9:36am On Dec 14, 2016
Olu317:
.I can only affirm one thing here and that's the beauty of self expression. Do you even know it was the evil deed of the Oyomesi that created problems for Alaafinnate when they did lied and perfected the method of forcing AROLE OBA to commit suicide after all his father's demise. I can categorically imagine how many would had ran away due to this reason. That was where the problems really started because they overturned the status quo just to be able to curtail the excess power of Alaafin. Having noticed this, it was practically impossible for some of the things mentioned to be could not be made to become reality because THEY WERE STACKED ILLITERATES. That's why the only thing they could remember was they migrated from Middle East but another things proof these. Such as rendition, mourning of the death, worship of seven skull of the dead king of Israel under the name of Obatala , inheriting once brother's wife after one's brother's death, Elders as family heads etc. These were some of the things the remember because they were customs and traditions. Yoruba naturally aren't the traveling type, even when they do, they always refer to their ancestral home,so these also gave rise to the problem you empahise. But in my greatest shocking finding was that, THE BRITISH EMPIRE NEARLY KILLED BECAUSE THEY CREATED NIGERIA AT THE DETRIMENT OF YOURUBAS. IMAGINE, IF IT WAS A YORUBA NATION, AND IN 1950S, AWOLOWO BROUGHT TELEVISION TO WESTERN NIGERIA, WHICH WAS THE FIRST IN AFRICA, WHEN IN FACT MANY COUNTRIES IN EUROPE WERE NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO DO SUCH, THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW THAT 50 YEARS AFTER, WE WOULD HAVE BE ON EQUAL ECONOMIC PROWESS WITH SOUTH KOREAN ON A LOW KEY BUT ON A HIGH NOTE, WITH THE SAME LEVEL JAPAN. WHY DID I MENTION JAPAN? JAPAN DOES NOT HAVE ONE SINGLE NATURAL RESOURCE.

The colony of Lagos should have never been joined with the Southern and Northern Protectorates. It was solely about British interests. And it clashed with Yoruba interests squarely.

It's a shame really.

And when Lagos and palm oil from the core ND gave way for the discovery of oil, the Fulani knew the British interests could actually serve their interests. It is why to this day, even tho' the Northern and Western (to mean Western Europe and North America) way of life are at complete odds, their interests are well aligned as far as Nigeria is concerned.

It is thus disappointing that exactly 101 years after that shameful capitulation was done, eminent Yorubas who should have known better stopped the only chance at decisively proffering a workable solution in the 2015 elections. And in so doing, orchestrated the biggest mistake since 1960, by handing over power to the same Fulanis for at least the next 24 years (quarter of a century--8 years for each of the northern sub regions). By then, any hopes of restructuring would have been successfully and completely quashed.

And who loses?

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Pokermon: 9:47am On Dec 14, 2016
When i was young, i wanted to be a superhero to wipe the hausa-fulani mittens off the face of earth but now i'm wiser..
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 9:50am On Dec 14, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:
Op,this very rich thread will not be complete without giving the account of the battle of Osogbo. That's where the fulanis met their waterloo. I would like to know why the Ibadan war Generals did not march on Ilorin and retake it from the Alimi's descendants and allies having defeated the fulani soldiers in that battle.

The so-called Emir of Ilorin will still go back to where Alimi,his progenitor came from ONE DAY. It is just a matter of time. Ilorin belongs to Oodua. I am proud of Afonja though he was treacherous and overtly ambitious, he was a great and brave warrior who fought to the last breath of his life.

Alimi,like every other fulani,was a very cunning, vindictive and treacherous person. He used religion to brainwash Solagberu of Oke-suna who should have provided the much needed assistance to Afonja during the palace coup.

The seat of Emir of Ilorin represents deceit,treachery,betrayal etc. We (Yorubas) should not allow it to stand on our soil. I have no doubt in our capabilities to correct the mistake of Afonja and just that we shall do ONE DAY. There is a score to settle !

I think the window of opportunity to reclaim Ilorin is far gone.

I may be wrong tho'.

-Lord
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by barragan: 10:00am On Dec 14, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

Ilorin will remain as it is, the people there are bound by religion to their king, you will be doing them no good trying to force the way of other Yorubas on them.
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Olu317(m): 12:18pm On Dec 14, 2016
LordAdam7:

The colony of Lagos should have never been joined with the Southern and Northern Protectorates. It was solely about British interests. And it clashed with Yoruba interests squarely.

It's a shame really.

And when Lagos and palm oil from the core ND gave way for the discovery of oil, the Fulani knew the British interests could actually serve their interests. It is why to this day, even tho' the Northern and Western (to mean Western Europe and North America) way of life are at complete odds, their interests are well aligned as far as Nigeria is concerned.

It is thus disappointing that exactly 101 years after that shameful capitulation was done, eminent Yorubas who should have known better stopped the only chance at decisively proffering a workable solution in the 2015 elections. And in so doing, orchestrated the biggest mistake since 1960, by handing over power to the same Fulanis for at least the next 24 years (quarter of a century--8 years for each of the northern sub regions). By then, any hopes of restructuring would have been successfully and completely quashed.

And who loses?

-Lord
If I WAS AWOLOWO, I would had done again and again what he did. He refused to take YORUBA RACE into war against Nigeria . Do you know why? THE CALLOUS ACTION OF NNAMDI AZIKWE AND OTHER STRONG EBOES MEN IN THE ARMY. EVEN TILL NOW, YORUBA DETEST THE ARMY, NOT BECAUSE OF BEING AFRAID BUT CANT DIE FOR A COUNTRY THAT WON'T RECOGNIZE YOUR PERSONALITY IN THE FUTURE. THEN, HOW CAN I BLAME TINUBU EVEN IF HE BLUNDERED, AFTER ALL, JONATHAN HUMILIATED US, (YORUBA) AFTER HE USED OUR VOTES TO RISE TO POWER. AS YOU CAN SEE, BOTH FULANIS AND EBOES SEEKS SAME THING.... CONTROL AND OVERLORDING BUT THEY FEARED US (YORUBA) BECAUSE THREE THING WORKS FOR US, WISDOM(POWER OF PEN INCLUSIVE)ONCE WE SAY NO, IT IS FINAL and GOD.PMB has Failed and he can't even have the support of any western POWERS. THE ONLY THING IS THAT, IT IS EITHER PMB LIKE IT OR NOT, YORUBA WONT VOTE FOR IN 2019. AKEREDOLU WAS LEFT ALONE BECAUSE HE IS A YORUBA MAN. PEOPLE HAVE EYES AND THEY WHAT FAYEMI AND FASHOLA DID, BUT WILL THEY BE RELEVANT IN THE FUTURE IN YORUBA LAND?

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by quickly: 12:24pm On Dec 14, 2016
Olu317:
are you sure they are pagan? I thought Yoruba had and still have a Deity called Eledumare /olodumare /Olorun. Do you call that paganism? A people that stood and fight Against Islamization of Yoruba land. Do you think it wasnt GOD that helped the Yoruba warriors who fought against Jihadist? Yoruba Race are not ordinary Race. If you understand spiritualism, you know what I mean. It wasn't ordinary they fought against themselves at first and again fought and won against the Jihadist 1839/1840.

Exactly the same thing Boko Haram is doing. Those jihad is were worst than Boko Haram and of course they was no social media or telephone to warn neighboring town that blood sucking Islamist wanted everybody in ur town to bow to Mecca or die.

It's funny That some africans are still captured like that and bowing and facing mecca doing praying.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by sparkleboy(m): 12:28pm On Dec 14, 2016
Naijalander thanks for this post.
At least an exposure to our history

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by koladebrainiac(m): 12:43pm On Dec 14, 2016
dEastActivist:

I know my history very well...
I am a descendant of ERi son of Gad...
And other socio-Religio-political historical occurrence that occurred can be shared on request or via link sharing. cheesy

What do you think will happen when I ask you, the olugbo of ugbo, the ooni of ife, and the oba of Benin on the history of Yoruba in a setting??
You just crying up and down. You have no historical sense.

Olugbo gave account from their point of view.-meaning they argue for themselves. They wont blame themselves. Same with Ife- the same account with Bini vs Ife.

But the good news here is that the event happened. Names were recorded.towns were recorded. Culture n actions n norms n characters were recorded. We can ivestigate. Weapons n clothes, n city n agriculture at those times. This is brilliant history that should be made into movies. Its about heroes n villains.

Benin has history- they built a city long before anybody

Yoruba has history-they built an empire. Taking tribute n trade n their influence reached till Togo.Dahomey. n North- kastina kano niger .

Same with Hausa n fulani n even Nupe people.

Now where is Igbo hostory apart from the popular Chinua Achebe about ikemefuna n civil war n the myth that you re descendant of Eri or Gad or Isrealite with no corresponding evidence..

Man there is no history of heroism
Scheming
Trade.
Richness
Tradition
Clothes
Origin n trade in Igbo. So if you guys have,let us know

As for yoruba, we have history. We know our influence reach edo state,Togo,Dahomey,kano katsina niger etc. Even to delta state n environs.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by koladebrainiac(m): 1:03pm On Dec 14, 2016
LordAdam7:

If that were so, there wouldn't be no USA, Mexico, Britain, Canada, Germany, France, Russia, India, Pakistan...

Each of these powers I mentioned came to a cross-road at some point where they had a major foe that threatened their very existence, and they came together to disband that foe (even with their intra-rivalries).

So no, this is not just about the fall of the Oyo empire, this is about an educated people hampered by the treachery of a significant proportion of them.

If it wasn't for the topography, the Fulani would have overran the Yorubas (supported of course by greedy, self-centered Yoruba chiefs). That's the line I'm drawing. It is one thing to have rivalry between each other (every tribe has intra rivalry), it is a whole other thing for powerful people with a large followership (not just a few Judases) to allow a common enemy to kill their own blood.

Only I can slap my brother. If someone else outside the family slaps him, na police cell straight.

I hope u get my point.

-Lord

You got it wrong

There were formal country like USSR who were disbanded. Even Rome controlled the known world. They were very formidable. But where are they now? Where is Rome? Go n read about Mongolians their empire how islamization destroyed a beautiful culture. Go n read about Persian n medes n babylonians!

Please read history n learn. Treachery n politics n war has been in place b4 yoruba civilization.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by koladebrainiac(m): 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2016
Either way the Yoruba history depicts
Government in its every capacity.
Trade in crude n mordern manner -politics of forms,respect,homage,alliances, coup,military ,Royalty-regent government and leadership.

War in crude n mordern way-dipolamtic war,negotiations ,besieging ,allies, plotting and buiding of fortresses, sacking n repopulating cities,Refugee,prisoners of war, using guns-swords,marksmen,archery, swordsmanship, blacksmith horse riding civil war,gurellia war,ambushed war,surrendering,civil war,plundering, enslaving

Culture. -Songs,poems, dress, wealth-etc

There civility- compassion

Heroism- king committing suicide in the event of failure, soldier not returning home or suicide. Just like Samurai in east-and individual angry

Trade- slavery which is one of the oldest trade .-clothing,hide n skin,pepper,salt,Gold etc

And ofcourse -politics,scheming,plotting,treachery,uprising, revolution, rebels etc

The culture has history that can rival that of Hausa in the north.

Its war that reduced them to that small number if. Not,they would have boasted of the population of north.

Above all these shows yoruba civilization the rise n fall of great Empire just like Roman Empire.

So i love this hostory.

Some dont have History.
Just fable n myth. And they will quick condemn those that have history n tradition.

Long Live Yoruba race.
Proudly Yoruba.

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 1:44pm On Dec 14, 2016
koladebrainiac:

You got it wrong

There were formal country like USSR who were disbanded. Even Rome controlled the known world. They were very formidable. But where are they now? Where is Rome? Go n read about Mongolians their empire how islamization destroyed a beautiful culture. Go n read about Persian n medes n babylonians!

Please read history n learn. Treachery n politics n war has been in place b4 yoruba civilization.

Read my posts again, then you'll know not to compare Yoruba country(Oyo Empire) and Rome or USSR or the Persian, Assyrian, and Babylonian empires.

This is not science, it's art.

Treachery and politics and war between rulers and over-ambitious people is understandable. What isn't is treachery against your own people for very silly, selfish reasons. The Yorubas would have taken back Illorin if not for the treachery of some powerful Yoruba warriors and chiefs against Yoruba interests.

It's one thing to hate your king, it is another to hate your people.

One can hate Buhari or GEJ, but is a whole other ball game to hate Nigerians.

-Lord
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by OROSUNBOLB(m): 2:24pm On Dec 14, 2016
LordAdam7:

I think the window of opportunity to reclaim Ilorin is far gone.

I may be wrong tho'.

-Lord

That is what you think but trust me you're very wrong. We are not seeking any opportunity to reclaim Ilorin as it has always been Yoruba land and it will continue to be so. Not a single shot will be fired when the tittle 'Emir of Ilorin' will cease to exist.

I have been to that palace more than thirty times in the past and as recently as two weeks ago. On each occasion of my visit,I have always observed that Yoruba culture is promoted and highly visible in the palace. Yoruba language is the official language spoken at the palace. This is not borne out of love for Yoruba people but it is out of fear for the future of the fulani people of Ilorin and particularly that of the tittle-Emirof Ilorin.

Trust me,in a not too distant future,the tittle 'Emir of Ilorin' will cease to exist. Fulanis are no match for us in every shpere of life.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by koladebrainiac(m): 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
LordAdam7:

Read my posts again, then you'll know not to compare Yoruba country(Oyo Empire) and Rome or USSR or the Persian, Assyrian, and Babylonian empires.

This is not science, it's art.

Treachery and politics and war between rulers and over-ambitious people is understandable. What isn't is treachery against your own people for very silly, selfish reasons. The Yorubas would have taken back Illorin if not for the treachery of some powerful Yoruba warriors and chiefs against Yoruba interests.

It's one thing to hate your king, it is another to hate your people.

One can hate Buhari or GEJ, but is a whole other ball game to hate Nigerians.

-Lord
There has been rise n fall of every empire. Rome was reduced to very smaller state.

Mongolia is now extinct
Same for medes n persian.

Empire is meant to fall.

Its understandable for every subject to get tired of Oyo empire with their over bearing n form alliance with Alimi with his promises of military support.

Oyo was an empire. Forcefully ruling over smaller cities n big cities n potential big cities. . its sure thing for the rise of back stabbers n treachery.

If oyo had united n conquered Ilorin

The likes of Ibadan as the largesr city n Lagos may not have possible.

With all the might n military power of Uthman dan fodio, has it uplifted Kano n Bornu n Kastina n kaduna n zamafara from Economy hardship?

The only thing Northern state can boast of thats helping them is there Population- now its not am excuse for east n west nigeria not to be able to defeat them politically.

The only major Advantage oyo empire would have given to us present generation is population. I am not supporting most of their deeds but whatever each kings did those days was mostly done in the best interest of their immediate subject. Now dont get me wrong,most of this people' actions were crude n not necessary advanced but they did it anyways .

See now,if Hausa failed to manage their growing power over other region very well, they will soon fall like oyo empire.

Many tribes n region in the north are now aware of Fulani domineering. Very soon great revolution will come in the north that will usurp Fulani domination n n scattere every tribe n tingue in the north.

One precedence that has taken place now is the scattered opinions in the north. They are waging war on their religion* shites vs sunnis very soon it will affect them politically n it will favour us in the south both east n west .

Finally, mistakes are being made repeatedly by Yorubas. But i am sure they are now opening their eyez.

Telling our story is helping us to know the root of our problem. We will solve it. Thats what Ooni of Ife is attempting to do. We know our problem, we will solve it one way or the other.

My concern is that Igbos are just condemning us,blaming yoruba,Hausa even Niger delta for their own misfortunes. They havent pick their own problem always pointing accusing fingers on other people.

So we Yorubas has seen our truble-our mistakes n i am sure we will address it.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by tarano: 3:02pm On Dec 14, 2016
Well credit still should go to our forefathers. The Ibadans put up a good fight against the Fulani expansionist. It is not easy to face a jihadi army anywhere in the world.

Historians mistakenly attributes the failure of the Fulani to take the whole of Yoruba due to the topography.

My questions is if the Fulani horses could not maneuver on the fringes of the forest then what happen to the legs of the Fulani warrior. Since they are super conquerors why didn't they get off their high horses to fight and conquer the whole Yoruba. Simply put it it was not easy. Ko easy naa ni...

The Fulani Jihadist were not invincible. They were beating back several times by the Borgu. There is a popular Hausa saying that 10 Borgu warriors can hold back 100 Fulani horse men.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 3:36pm On Dec 14, 2016
koladebrainiac:

There has been rise n fall of every empire. Rome was reduced to very smaller state.

Mongolia is now extinct
Same for medes n persian.

Empire is meant to fall.

Its understandable for every subject to get tired of Oyo empire with their over bearing n form alliance with Alimi with his promises of military support.

Oyo was an empire. Forcefully ruling over smaller cities n big cities n potential big cities. . its sure thing for the rise of back stabbers n treachery.

If oyo had united n conquered Ilorin

The likes of Ibadan as the largesr city n Lagos may not have possible.

With all the might n military power of Uthman dan fodio, has it uplifted Kano n Bornu n Kastina n kaduna n zamafara from Economy hardship?

The only thing Northern state can boast of thats helping them is there Population- now its not am excuse for east n west nigeria not to be able to defeat them politically.

The only major Advantage oyo empire would have given to us present generation is population. I am not supporting most of their deeds but whatever each kings did those days was mostly done in the best interest of their immediate subject. Now dont get me wrong,most of this people' actions were crude n not necessary advanced but they did it anyways .

See now,if Hausa failed to manage their growing power over other region very well, they will soon fall like oyo empire.

Many tribes n region in the north are now aware of Fulani domineering. Very soon great revolution will come in the north that will usurp Fulani domination n n scattere every tribe n tingue in the north.

One precedence that has taken place now is the scattered opinions in the north. They are waging war on their religion* shites vs sunnis very soon it will affect them politically n it will favour us in the south both east n west .

Finally, mistakes are being made repeatedly by Yorubas. But i am sure they are now opening their eyez.

Telling our story is helping us to know the root of our problem. We will solve it. Thats what Ooni of Ife is attempting to do. We know our problem, we will solve it one way or the other.

My concern is that Igbos are just condemning us,blaming yoruba,Hausa even Niger delta for their own misfortunes. They havent pick their own problem always pointing accusing fingers on other people.

So we Yorubas has seen our truble-our mistakes n i am sure we will address it.

The statement in bold sums everything up nicely.

I think this soul-searching is necessary for every indigenous tribe in the South, Lagos to Cross Rivers.

About the Igbos, allow them to pass through this phase of being the serial entertainers of Nigeria. Hopefully, in the future, they'll mature as a people to understand that they too have deeply rooted problems that only Igbos can solve.

Maybe the recent chatter I hear about their illustrious citizens coming together to set-up a Pan-Igbo development commission to uplift the economic viability is a start. Maybe money will be the one thing that sparks up the discussion of addressing other seethed problems for them.

The recent call by Edwin Clark for SS governors to look inward and explain their use of ND commonwealth also means that indigenous tribes in the SS region are also thinking inwards to resolve their own problems.

It's still a long way off, but I think Southern interests will prevail in the long run.

The next two decades of Northern rule should be enough time for the Southerners to get their acts together, whether Yoruba, Igbo, Ijaw, Urhobo/Isoko, Ibibio, or Edo to promote togetherness, healthy competition, and a long-term thinking cap.

-Lord

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by LordAdam7: 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

That is what you think but trust me you're very wrong. We are not seeking any opportunity to reclaim Ilorin as it has always been Yoruba land and it will continue to be so. Not a single shot will be fired when the tittle 'Emir of Ilorin' will cease to exist.

I have been to that palace more than thirty times in the past and as recently as two weeks ago. On each occasion of my visit,I have always observed that Yoruba culture is promoted and highly visible in the palace. Yoruba language is the official language spoken at the palace. This is not borne out of love for Yoruba people but it is out of fear for the future of the fulani people of Ilorin and particularly that of the tittle-Emirof Ilorin.

Trust me,in a not too distant future,the tittle 'Emir of Ilorin' will cease to exist. Fulanis are no match for us in every shpere of life.

I sincerely hope so too.

Taking back Ilorin will certainly push back the incursion of Fulanis and checkmate the overbearing influence they have in the south. And more importantly be a morale boost for Northern minority christians and Southern farmers who have been pummeled by Fulani bandits (with subtle nudging from Fulani elite) for the past few decades.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by OROSUNBOLB(m): 4:01pm On Dec 14, 2016
tunene66:

Ilorin being in the Northern region might be a proof that there was a special tie with Sokoto. Abdulsalami son of Alimi was given a flag from Gwandu (the western empire of the Sokoto Caliphate). According to research done by Abdullahi Smith, a one time Professor of History ABU n Director Arewa House Kaduna, there is a letter in Gwandu written in 1829 from the Emir of the West(Gwandu) to the Emir of the Yoruba(Ilorin) Abdulsalami

I bet you've never been to Ilorin and to think it is geographically located in the north is naivety of the highest order. It is a political fraud to classify Ilorin and even the whole of Kwara State as north central.

If you're coming to the southern part of Nigeria from the north, through Makera,Makwa and Jebba axis, the moment you cross the Jebba bridge,you will definitely observe a sharp contrast in topography. This means the moment you cross Jebba bridge into Kwara state,you're no longer in the north. Kwara and some parts of Kogi shouldn't be part of north central or whatever. It is a political fraud! All these anomalies shall be addressed in our NEW NIGERIA in no distant future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Check Out These Lovely Architectural Designs From Northern Nigeria / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief / Ooni Of Ogunwusi Visits Badagry, The First Storey Building In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.