Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,791 members, 7,820,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson (38617 Views)

Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa / 30 Things You Should Know About Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther / Some Chronicles About The Fulani-yoruba Tussle For Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Olu317(m): 2:46pm On Dec 20, 2016
lawani:

NOTHING GOOD CAN EVER COME OUT OF A THEOLOGY SAYING ONE MAN IS SOMETHING OTHERS CAN NEVER BECOME! OR THAT SAYS 'DONT WORSHIP OTHER GODS', THAT THREATENS UNBELIEVERS WITH HELL FIRE AND ETC
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by okuneddie(m): 10:21am On Dec 22, 2016
naijalander ooooo
naijalander ooooo
.......don't let me call u the third time before u finish this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 5:05pm On Dec 25, 2016
Merry Christmas every one GOD bless us all smiley

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 5:07pm On Dec 25, 2016
There is spam bot on my trail. My posts have been mysteriously removed but I pray it is resolved soon.

Happy Holidays! smiley
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by RockHard: 11:20pm On Dec 25, 2016
LordAdam7:

Don't twist history.

From the account written above, the rebellion against the Alafin was clearly institutional. Had nothing to do with a noble aim to stop slave trade.

Rebellions happen all the time in those days, so no biggie. Princes dethrone kings.

But what the account tells is a chilling tale of how the Yoruba country in its might fell from grass to grace with the complicity of powerful Yorubas.

I think there is a fine line between personal ambition and national preservation. And many influential Yoruba people who had the power to change history were on the side of the invaders.

The Yorubas are a great people, but that recurring incidence of treachery doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth at all.

-Lord

Get off your high horses Mr. ITK. The Yorubas of those days weren't any more or less treacherous than the Israelite tribes that occupied Palestine in the biblical times as recorded in the bible with their many internal wars and strife. Funny thing is that your likes would revere those Israelites of old, who were eventually uprooted, conquered and sent into wholesale slavery by foreign powers, literally excised from their homeland for centuries according to biblical accounts, while talking smack about Yorubas -- atleast Yorubas still managed to repel and even defeat the fulanis in spite of their so-called 'treachery'. Rubbish and nonsense.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by RockHard: 11:33pm On Dec 25, 2016
dEastActivist:

Go and check your history very well the greatest kingdom and the longest life spanned kingdom to be recorded in Nigeria is in the eastern part of Nigeria. NRI kingdom comes to mind
Igbos with their brothers have fought wars like the ekumeku war... a little Google research would have helped your life..
Slave trade was a Nigeria problem irrespective of ethnic group... except Yorubas where sold to their Fulani masters up north...
Yeye dey smell
Why Is treachery, backstabbing and betrayal synonymous with Yorubas through out history and present? cheesy

Yinmu. Yorubas of those days weren't any more or less treacherous than the Israelite tribes that occupied Palestine in the biblical times as recorded in the bible with their many internal wars and strife. Funny thing is that your likes would rever those Israelites of old while talking smack about Yorubas. E jus dey pain you say we have such an extentive and richly recorded history replete with dramatic and epochal intrigues akin to those recorded in the hebrew old testament biblical texts, unlike una wey have to do join join to come up with that sorry excuse that you call history. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2016
naijalander:
The Destruction of Egba Towns contd.

Rich with the booty of these expeditions, and finding no fresh fields of operation for their arms they decided to disband the army. The Ijebu war chiefs returned home and the Ifes set out to return by way of Oorun; the Oyos who had nowhere to go to accompanied them. There were thousands of Oyos already in Ife districts. At Oorun (a Gbagura town) they found fresh employment for their arms when the men of that place refused them a passage. Another circumstance also occurred which hastened the siege of Oorun and the fall of the remaining Egba townships. A dispute arose between the people of Idomapa a neighbouring town and the Gbaguras about territorial limits which at length broke out into war and Oluwole the king of Idomapa who was the weaker of the two combatants asked the aid of Labgsinde one of the leading Ife war-chiefs, and through him the rest of the Ife and Oyo war-chiefs against Ajiboso the king of the Gbaguras. The allies encamped at Idomapa and Oorun was the scene of conflict, where the Gbaguras concentrated all their forces to oppose the Idomapas and their allies.

The Gbagura army was swelled by re-enforcement from Ika, Owe Ikija, Iwokoto. The contest was furious and one Oga Ohoro a gallant war-chief greatly distinguished himself in the defense of Oorun. As long as he could handle his bow and arrows, the enemy was kept at bay ; but he fell in an engagement, and at the same time famine had commenced its direful work, and so the assailants successfully reduced the town. As their fighting men had all fallen at Oorun the conquest of all the rest of the Gbagura towns was complete. Oorun when captured was fired ; being a town situated on a high hill, the conquerors were able by the aid of the light to pursue their victory to the next town which they found deserted, and so on to the next and the next until they reached Ojoh6. The towns deserted and overrun that night were Oorun, Ijaiyemaja, Kosi-kosi, Ikerekuiwere, Ora, Ibadan. Ofa and Oje were also deserted, but the conquerors did not know of this till three days after as they lay outside their line of march. From Ibadan they followed up the conquest to Ojokodo Iwohaha, and Eguoto; all these places were deserted and plundered in
one night and by the dawn of day they were before 0]6h6. Ojoho offered a stout resistance and being weary from long marches the conquerors retired to find a resting place. Of all the towns overrun the previous night, Ibadan alone they found not destroyed by fire, and so this marauding band hastily occupied it, the war-chiefs taking possession of any compound they chose, and their men with them and thus Ibadan was again re-peopled but not by the owners of the town, but by a composite band of marauders, consisting of Oyos, Ifes, Ijebus, and some friendly Egbas, Maye a bold and brave Ife chieftain being their leader. Next to him was Labosinde also an Ife, but, through his mother, of Oyo descent.

These two leaders were men of different character and opposite temperament. Maye was of an irritable temper, in manners rough and domineering, and never failed at all times to show his contempt for the Oyos, chiefly because they were homeless refugees. At the head of the Oyos was Lakanle a bold and brave leader who alone of all the Oyo war-chiefs could venture to open his mouth when Maye spoke. Labosinde on the contrary was most agreeable and very fatherly in his manners and therefore much respected by all. Ibadan now became the headquarters of these marauders from which place Ojoho was besieged and at length taken. At this time also Ikeiye Owe and a part of Ika were deserted; the Ika people escaping to Iwokoto. All these were Egba villages of the Gbagura section.
pls include the names of those or places in the pictures included

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
naijalander:
There is spam bot on my trail. My posts have been mysteriously removed but I pray it is resolved soon.

Happy Holidays! smiley

What happened to this thread Come and continue o
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by SmokesAndMirror: 9:59am On Feb 20, 2017
LordAdam7:
Because the Yoruba people are AFONJAS.

Abi r u not reading the history with open eyes? Can't u see the many flagrant instances of treachery by fellow Yoruba people on their comrades after being coerced by their former slaves turned masters?

Is it any surprise that Tinubu after repackaging Buhari is receiving the same treachery from his fellow Yoruba comrades coerced by the same people that came begging caps in hands? Or even that Tinubu revolted against Southern interests for his purely selfish agenda of becoming the sole power in the region, only to be hackneyed by the same monster he created?

It is the same thing that happened between Akintola and Awolowo.

Yorubas are AFONJAS. They're back-stabbers, treacherous, and treasonous. Of course, it is immodest to generalize, but the trait is undeniably strong especially amongst the elites, and even more so amongst the hoi polloi.

How I wish the Obas in Benin during this period were not so vile, wicked, and lacking sufficient ambition. Bini would have successfully routed many Yoruba towns, especially Eko and Ikoyi, because the Yorubas would not have been able to put up a united front, seeing as they alternated between fighting themselves and becoming fodder to the rampaging Fulani cavalry.

These were interesting times indeed, and it is indeed entertaining to ponder on the number of death proportional to the population that occurred weekly during the raids, battles, massacres, and carnage. Many innocents falling due to the ego or stupidity of their lords.

Makes you value the fact you weren't born in those times, but now that we have Geneva conventions, and war crime parlance pervading the polity of the modern world.

-Lord

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the very STUPI.D and UNINTELLIGENT moderator who banned my account (https://www.nairaland.com/lordadam) because of the reply above the line on a history thread.

Let the BAST.ARD come here and maintain an intelligent discussion let NLs settle the scores.

I dare you FOO.L.

I'm talking about a trait that was well elucidated by Samuel Jackson and even revealed in modern times and the cry baby who cannot stomach criticism dare to ban my account for 5 months. What temerity?

Outside of NL can you police opinions because they are not favorable to you. In fact, who are you?

I was about to reply naijalander's civil reply with an explanation, and I discovered what the ethnic coward had done.

Yorubas are educated, brilliant, and proud people, but they are also treacherous. Every tribe has that one bad trait. The Igbos may be intelligent, formidable, and astute businessmen, but they are cunny. The Fulanis may be efficient organizers and very patient, but they are utterly vindictive.

If I cannot critique an historical piece about one of the big 3 tribes in Nigeria on the largest NIGERIAN forum, where can I do so without boundaries?

What has NairaLand turned into?

Seun, Lalasticlala, I need answers. How dare you guys hand over the baton of policing intellectual topics to a bunch of unintelligent, quack neophytes with irresponsible ethnic bias.

I'm livid is an understatement. This is not the politics section, it is the culture section for crying out loud!

I need my main account to be unbanned, I could care less what happened in 18th century Yorubaland, I use that account to conduct trades on this platform.

-Lord
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by lawani: 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2017
LordAdam7:

I'd hate to stop your flow, you're doing a nice service by telling Nigerian history.

And by the way, if you know where I can get the book online please tell me and I'll place an order.

But to answer your retort, Bini at some point routed Yoruba towns, even going as far as Eko (Eko is a bini word). If you dig hard enough you'll find a short list of Yoruba towns that were vassals to the Oba at various times of Yoruba history.

However, the issue was that the Obas were very vile and wicked. It is why there was mass emigration from the Bini empire by present day Urhobo, Isoko, and several other peoples in the SS regions. And why the Obas couldn't consolidate on victories to expand deep into Yoruba land.

I will also agree that feudal history in pre-independence Nigeria and in fact the rest of the world was marked by blatant and often shameful bouts of treachery. But the treachery I refer to here is not prince to king treachery, but the treachery against your own people for selfish reasons. The difference should be made. I wonder how long the Yoruba people will turn a blind eye to that (not that I care anyway).

I don't fully agree on the root causes you mentioned, but then that's another discussion altogether.

Keep the posts coming.

-Lord

Because Yorubas did not allow Igbos to colonise them in 1967, the Yoruba are therefore treacherous. Maintaining the cultural and territorial integrity of Yoruba is a humanitarian cause! You get?. If you had succeeded, it would be a calamity for humanity as you people rewrite history to suit yourself. Not only Yoruba loses but everybody. So keep your own culture and territory for Earth's library and stop your long throat without which the 500 thousand Biafran dead would have lived. Afonja was a great man who was killed for insisting that the post of chief Imam Ilorin should not be preserved for only Alimi's line despite that the children of Alimi's Fulani wives were disinherited and sent away. Afonja died at the post of a Yoruba nationalist unlike you lot who have nothing to fight for. He never did a single thing against Yoruba national interest. Not a single thing. Afonja was a great man whose shoe lace you are unworthy to untie.

On Benin, you people talk like kids but I will always teach you. Which Benin town is the Edo language spoken? Only in Benin and it was not spoken in the city in the past but in the suburbs. Other Benin towns spoke and still speak Yoruba apart from those who have gained Igbo from their neighbors. Urhobo, Isoko etc are totally different lnguages from Edo more than Norwegian is different from English!. So understand the issues before you spew nonsense. Ok?. Benin was a Yoruba state thorough and thorough like Ijesa, Ijebu or Oyo. No difference. Benin suburbs is the only place till today that ever spoke Edo language. Warri till today speak Yoruba as do Ugbodu in Aniocha. Onitsha did so in the past. So learn today and stop referring to the Benin empire as Edo because it was Yoruba.

Build your own legacy, focus on your land and stop trying to pull others down. It has never happened before in history that an invasion force is welcomed with dancing!. Akintola and Awo never betrayed each other. It was an ideological rift. Awo believed there should be opposition while Akintola said there is no need for opposition and Akintola will be proved right soon as opposition politics goes out of fashion. So find another treachery example.

Better sit up and stop crying over split milk. Thank God for the land you have too. Many groups will be happy to have that land to manage.

READ COL OJUKWU'S LETTER WHERE HE SAID IGBO TROOPS WILL REMAIN IN YORUBA LAND FOR AS LONG AS BIAFRA DEEM FIT AND THAT LAGOS WILL BE RULED BY BIAFRA. PLEASE IF YOUR FOREBEARS ARE IDIOTS, MINE ARE NOT.

https://www.dawodu.com/biafra1.htm

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Weedcrusher: 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2017
naijalander:

Happy Holidays! smiley

Can you please finish up the story on this thread?
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Olu317(m): 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2017
@naijalander,kudos must go to you thus far for the time and energy you channel at posting all these stories. You indeed earned my respect... It isn't easy doing all these coupled up with one's personal work.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2017
So sorry bro. I tried to complete it but the spam bot deletes any entry I make on the thread, I even complained to the mods, no solution. cry

Weedcrusher:

Can you please finish up the story on this thread?
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by naijalander: 1:58pm On Mar 27, 2017
Thanks my Oga. Please help me appeal to the moderators to get the spam bot deleting my entries.

Olu317:
@naijalander,kudos must go to you thus far for the time and energy you channel at posting all these stories. You indeed earned my respect... It isn't easy doing all these coupled up with one's personal work.
Re: Yoruba Revolutionary War Chronicles. By Samuel Johnson by Weedcrusher: 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2017
naijalander:
So sorry bro. I tried to complete it but the spam bot deletes any entry I make on the thread, I even complained to the mods, no solution. cry

Maybe you should try create a new thread as continuation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Check Out These Lovely Architectural Designs From Northern Nigeria / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief / Ooni Of Ogunwusi Visits Badagry, The First Storey Building In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.