Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? (2354 Views)

Buhari And Fuel Scarcity: See How The WOMAN In Diezani Was Portrayed By A Fan / Chibok: I Am Not Uncaring As Portrayed - Jonathan / Idi Amin: A True African Hero Portrayed A Villain By Western Propaganda! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Constantin: 11:47am On Jan 08, 2007
Whatever you read or hear in Western media, be in in British, American German or French media they keep on bombarding Naija with bad news. "failing state", "on the verge of total collapse", "balkanisation of Nigeria", uncontrollable chaos", "419scam", insurmountable poverty", and so on and so forth, Is that all Nigeria has to offer for them?
At the same time, they shower poor countries in Asia like India, Cambodia or Vietnam that are faced with the similiar developing problems than Nigeria with tons of praise: "roaring tiger", star performer", "posterchild of development", "dynamic and innovative people" etc. They only show photos of malls, chic outdoor places where the newly rich hang around,multi-lane highways etc. of those countries to the outside world, just as if those things were inexistent in Nigeria. They forge people´s general public views on Africa, it doesn´t surprise me that people in the West keep on asking me silly questions like: are African still living on trees or do you know how to eat with knives and forks etc. cry cry cry

In my mind, this is all so unfair, and the worst is that the Nigerian government and Nigerian people don´t even pay heed to that (no marketing or public relations image campaigns to overcome those stereotypes), of course, Nigeria has multitude of problems, we all know that, but we are also moving forward. China is portraying Africa in a much more postive and hopeful light than Western media.

Why do Western people hate Nigeria so much, why are they so full of prejudices towards us? I can neither make head nor tail of it, it aches my heart too much, ooo!!! cry cry cry
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Danmasani(m): 3:17pm On Jan 08, 2007
I think the western press and general portrayal of Africa is disgusting and deplorable. I think it is more of showing to the world that their culture and ways are the best and the way forward. I hate each time on TV i see Africa portrayed as some insect-infested, uncultured,uncivilized and poverty-striken continent. Unfortunately, even some of the Africans repoting for western agencies tend to do the same-portray their motherland bad- eg Jeff Koinage from CNN. I think Africa really needs to sell herself another way-the Arabs just opened an International Al-Jazzerah Cable network, we could do the same to show that Africa isn't all about strive,poverty,disease and people dont live on treess with spears!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Constantin: 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2007
I think the western press and general portrayal of Africa is disgusting and deplorable. I think it is more of showing to the world that their culture and ways are the best and the way forward. I hate each time on TV i see Africa portrayed as some insect-infested, uncultured,uncivilized and poverty-striken continent. Unfortunately, even some of the Africans repoting for western agencies tend to do the same-portray their motherland bad- eg Jeff Koinage from CNN. I think Africa really needs to sell herself another way-the Arabs just opened an International Al-Jazzerah Cable network, we could do the same to show that Africa isn't all about strive,poverty,disease and people don't live on treess with spears!

If only more people had your viewpoint, this would give hope, instead we lose our time by plundering our countries and accusing "others" if all goes wrong afterwards, it is a vicious cicle!

I am very much in favour if Africa creates its own TV programmes, Jeff Koinage from CNN, I cannot understand what drives this man, only profit or what,isn´t he ashamed of his journalism? The show Inside Africa is a SHAME AND A BIG SLAP INTO THE FACE OF EVERY AFRICAN !

WE URGENTLY NEED SOMETHING TO DO ABOUT AFRICA´S IMAGE! NOBODY WILL DO IT FOR US,
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by roflmao: 7:39pm On Jan 08, 2007
Because we let the West do the portraying!
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by kimba(m): 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2007
rof-lmao:

Because we let the West do the portraying!

thank you o jare. How many Nigerian reporters have 2-heads to say that they want to go to America to film slums and ghettos and show to the African world(even on Nigerian TV) that some people are suffering in America?

people that got scholarships to go study in America are even denied visas, how much more a 2-headed journalist.
Its not their fault, if you ask me.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Sijien(m): 1:21pm On Jan 09, 2007
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by JJYOU: 2:20am On Mar 07, 2009
simply becos they are too nice
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Omolulu(m): 9:17pm On Mar 07, 2009
nigeria's negatives outweigh the positives
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by tpia: 9:18pm On Mar 07, 2009
because Nigerians portray themselves in a negative light?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by yousouph(m): 10:14pm On Mar 07, 2009
Tpia, u said it all. More negative dan d oda. Awon eyan buburu ba eyan rere je
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by dayokanu(m): 12:09am On Mar 08, 2009
In negative light? Do you know how many ridiculous things come out of Africa everyday? until we clean up our game The negative reports wont stop!!!

Some time back i heard some people were burning 5 year olds claiming they are witches. was it not in Africa a woman was stripped naked because she dared to use the same road as an admiral?

or didnt you see videos of people being burnt alive?
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by Kenezi: 12:12am On Mar 08, 2009
Call a spade a spade.
Re: Why Is Nigeria Invaribaly Portrayed In A Negative Light In The West? by yousouph(m): 8:03am On Mar 08, 2009
Tpia, u said it all. More negative dan d oda. Awon eyan buburu ba eyan rere je

(1) (Reply)

World Bank Distances Itself From List Of Nigerian Looters / Interim governor for Ekiti State: For Or Against / Chuka Umunna, The British Obama In Making?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.