Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,320 members, 7,836,385 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Saraki's Speech As Buhari Presents 2017 Budget - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Speech As Buhari Presents 2017 Budget (11694 Views)

Row Over $496m Jets: Buhari Presents Documents, US Letter To NASS / Aisha Buhari Presents Gifts To Quintuplets And Their Parents / President Buhari Presents 2017 Budget To The National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Saraki's Speech As Buhari Presents 2017 Budget by SolomonAdeola: 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2016
DropShot:
Great speech.

Just make sure no padding this time around.

I pray the budget lives to expectations and affect positively on Nigerians.

Just for the purpose of educating those who don't know, in practice, the 2016 budget continues to run and be used till June 2017. This particular one takes effect only from July 2017. I guess this answers those who think this budget takes effect from January 1st 2017.

Pardon me, but this is not totally correct. The new budget takes effect immediately it is approved. However, the Executive can continue to operate on the prior year budget for up to six months, but must not exceed the limit of the prior year appropriation.
The Constitution allows for this in anticipation of a few issues that comes up between Executive and Legislature.

So if the budget is appropriated today, it takes effect January 1, 2016.

Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ypp's Presidential Flag Bearer, Prof Kingsley Moghalu Nominate' Umma Gesto As VP / Buhari, ECOWAS Condemn Failed Coup Attempt In Ethiopia / Lagos, Ogun, Ondo To Experience Power-Cut For 72hrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.