Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,954 members, 7,848,874 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:22 AM

Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received (539 Views)

The Best Relationship Advice For Everyone This 2020 / Pamela Adie: "Coming Out As A Lesbian Is The Best Decision I Ever Made" / Are there Victims In an Abusive Relationship ( the case study of tonto dike) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received by Wejustok2: 2:24am On Dec 24, 2016
Relationships are hard. They take a lot of dedication, focus, and work. Finding the right person to settle down with can often feel like a very frustrating game of chance.And even when you do find the right one, you’ll still have your work cut out for youas you make an effort to maintain your relationship.If you’re looking for a little guidance whenit comes to love, you’ve come to the right place.The Cheat Sheet spoke with eight top relationship experts to get some of their best advice. So pull up a chair and read on for more.1. Take it easyThe best relationship advice I’ve ever gotten,and that I give, is “easy does it.” Too often we get caught up in fear-based needsto control our partner. This pull becomes adestructive compulsion that corrodes the integrity of the relationship. It replaces respect andcompassion with anger and resentment. It destroys the quality of our lives and over time, the relationship.This advice impacted the way I approach romantic relationships in that I allowed for a lot more space, which in turn allowed forless reactivity, more peace, happiness, and respect.The classic struggle of all relationships is finding the right calculus in the togetherness-and-autonomy equation. Typically, when a relationship is under stress, one of the partners asks for physical space to break the tension.This is suboptimal. The best way to incorporate space is by being proactive andproviding emotional rather than physical space. To do this, partners need to allow each other the space to be themselves and to have their experiences without trying to control the outcome or think that you are responsible for their lives and reaction. It’s hard work and takes practice, but the rewards are well worth the effort.2. Give 90%My parents advised what they did in their own marriage: “both of you always think about giving 90% to your partner and youboth will be very happy.” They meant it’s so important to think about how your partner is feeling, to stand in their shoes, to be giving and compromising, and emotionally generous. That 10% is for the understanding that sometimes it’s also OK to be a bit selfish, to place your needs first, or stand firm on something. They also made clear that this only works if youare both giving 90%.I just celebrated my 26th wedding anniversary.I definitely think about my spouse’s needs and feelings the majority of the time and try to be compromising. In return I feel heis 90% thinking of me and how to consider my feelings and be supportive andloving. Sometimes this means giving something up, but actually most times this means we both get what we want and we both feel very loved, supported, and that weare in each other’s corner. I don’t feel afraid to be giving, because he really has my best interests at heart.We are a terrific team and often we agreeon what we want. And whenwe don’t, we tend to take turns supportingthe other’s wants.3. You are responsible for your own happinessIt’s not my partner’s job to make me happy. It’s my job to make me happy. Of course it’s easy to feel good when my partner is acting ina way that I want —but needing them to be a certain way in order for me to feel good —that’s bondage.Thinking that they’re always going to be ina good mood and directing their affectionate attention towards me — while that may be possible during the initial stageof a relationship, is impossible to sustain long-term. I’m responsible for my happiness.My partner is responsible for her happiness.We deliberately focus on things to feel goodin ourlives and for things to appreciate in one another.If you’re looking for someone to complete you —or vice versa—you’re looking in the wrong direction for the lasting happiness, wholeness, and fulfillment that you truly seek.Wouldn’t it be better if you could find a way to feel how you want to feel regardless of what you’re partner is sayingor doing?This advice transformed every relationship inmy life – not just the romantic ones. Before I knew these things, I was unintentionally holding my partner responsiblefor my happiness. When I learned that I’m responsible for my own happiness and whenI learned how to consistently align with it, my entire world transformed. I now have the freedom to choose if and when I spendtime with someone else, and I deliberately choose to spend time with others who get this, too. My relationships are more meaningful, more loving, more free, and most importantly – more fun! And myoverall happiness continues to grow, too, regardless of whether I’m in a relationship or not.•FromJeff Bear,life coach and founder ofBear Partners.4. Stop waiting and live your lifeWhen I was single and stressed about finding love, my good friend, Scott, a confirmed bachelor, told me this. He said, “Lisa, you need to calm down, chill out, andstop expectinglove to be here already. Your sense of entitlement is killing your ability to attract a good man.” When I realized he was right, I stopped waking up every day feelingangry that love hadn’t found me yet. I stopped being resentful that my friends were married and having lives that felt out of reach to me. Istopped feeling like my life was on hold. As cliché as it sounds, I stopped waiting and started living .Overnight, my outlook changed.My results changed, too. I started meeting men wherever I went. I went on dates, hadfun, didn’t give my heart away foolishly, and met my husband. I knew he was The One when he told me, “I’ve always been too nice for the naughty girls and too naughty for the nice ones.” That had been my experience with men.My advice for singles who are struggling intheir search is to look within and ask themselves what part of their own life still needs work.When you clean up your side of the street,you make room for a perfectlyimperfect person to see you, celebrate you, and love you. And remember that Mr. Right[or Ms. Right] will not be perfect, but willbe perfect for you, just as you’ll be perfectly imperfect for him [or her].FromLisa Steadman, relationship expert andauthor of It’s a Breakup Not a Breakdown.5. Love yourselfYou can’t love anyone more than your willingness to love yourself. Through this advice I learned about the importance of caring for my mind, body, and spirit. I liken love to the oxygen mask on a plane. You have to apply it to yourself before applying it to the person next to you.This advice improved my chances ofwinning my wife’s hand in marriage. She was searching for true love. She wanted someone to spend the rest of her life with.Conveying to her that I loved myself signaled that I could be a pillar of strengthand compassion.FromPaul C. Brunson, matchmaker and author of It’s Complicated (But It Doesn’tHave to Be): A Modern Guide to Finding and Keeping Love .6. Don’t put boundaries on othersYou can’t put boundaries on someone else—only yourself. If someone is treating you badly, you can’t change their behavior. But you can ask yourself why you accept it and how you can put a boundary on yourself so that you won’t accept it again.It made me take more responsibility for myrole in bad relationships.Instead of feeling like a victim of circumstance, I was empowered to reject bad treatment and choose a different person. Also, [rememberthat] life is a self-fulfilling prophesy.If you believe you are undeserving of happiness, love and prosperity, that’s what the universe will give you.FromDr. Wendy Walsh, relationship expert and author of The 30-Day Love Detox .7. Sometimes love is where you’d least expect itThe hottest, most fun, sexiest, interesting, growth-stimulating, spontaneous, most romantic, most eye-opening relationships or experiences all were not with people that I thought I would end up with.Just because a relationship has a shelf life doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enter into it. This advice allowed meto enjoy each interaction for what it was and not try to make it something it wasn’t. And at the end of the day, our life is just a conglomeration of memories and I have many happy memories to think on. This gives me the freedom to experienceall life has to offer!Other good advice: “Always be unexpected.”This doesn’t have to be in grandBoeures, but predictability in a relationship = Boein
Re: Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received by Divay22(f): 2:39am On Dec 24, 2016
What is the name of this Novel again plz?

2 Likes

Re: Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 24, 2016
Op. you have no conscience atall. Who wan read al these?

2 Likes

Re: Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received by Idydarling(f): 3:55am On Dec 24, 2016
op, who go read this thing??

1 Like

Re: Relationship || The Best Relationship Advice I Ever Received by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 24, 2016
Here's my own advice.

'' I’ll like to start by saying; the purpose of relationship is not for two incomplete people to become one, but rather for two complete people to join together as one. A lot of people go into relationship in pursuit of happiness and completeness from the other person. They say stuff like, ‘I just want someone that will make me happy and complete me, someone that will always be everything for me’’. And when they finally get involved with that person and he/she isn’t meeting up with their expectations, they opt for a break-up.

Babe, you can’t depend on another person for your completeness. You might not know but that’s the root from which complications arise in relationships. You expect the other person to fill the void in your heart that only your self-acceptance can fill. Besides dear, it’s a whole lot of responsibility to put on him, and I’m not sure how you’ll be quite comfortable with that. No one can complete you. You must understand your completeness and be at home with yourself as you are before you’re able to be at home with the other person’s inconsistency.

“This is it!” Adam exclaimed. “She is part of my own bone and flesh! Her name is ‘woman’ because she was taken out of a man.” Gen 2:23-24 TLB

Relationship is for two complete people; two people that are complete in the knowledge of God’s love for them and that will be able to manifest that level of love to another. See, the goal of relationship is for two people to be able to see each other from the point of their completeness and be able to accept the other person in same light; complete in spite of an.......

Follow the link to continue reading: http://www.myrealityblog.com/2016/12/relationship-101-understanding-basis.html

(1) (Reply)

Guys What Are The Things You Use To Value A Woman? / 5 Signs To Know Your Relationship Is Over / Serious Lady For Relationship In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.