Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:10 AM

External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn (9822 Views)

Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End / External Reserves Rise By $1bn In Two Weeks / External Reserves Rise Further To N26.2bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by chimhigher(m): 8:19am On Dec 27, 2016
Gt ntin 2 say except,

MY YANSH JES DEY SCRATCH ME DS MORNING OOOO
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by martineverest(m): 8:20am On Dec 27, 2016
wailers,over to u
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by bcashy: 8:20am On Dec 27, 2016
BeClever:

I can understand you position.. When hunger couldn't let you wait for the real change you were promised and everything sounds good to you..

A man broke your father's mansion and squats you in his BQ, frustration will make you think he has tried for you..

Buhari till 2023...Anuofia!
Oga go and sit down somewhere and stop constituting public nuisance. Your lack of ability to comprehend is nit excuse to come and display mumuism here

4 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by bettercreature(m): 8:23am On Dec 27, 2016
seguno2:

Source please otherwise stop spreading propaganda, lies and rumours.
It was about $44 billion.Gej destroyed everything

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by gbegemaster(m): 8:23am On Dec 27, 2016
They should release some of the money to help the economy and the people. Reserves na for who dey alive oh.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 8:24am On Dec 27, 2016
seunmsg:
The reserves will get better in 2017 since crude oil price is expected to remain steady at above $50 during the year and hopefully, our brothers from the Niger Delta region will stop the needless attacks on oil facilities.

Is our country only about oil from the Niger Delta?
What of the oil from the north that was recently discovered?
What of revenue from Lagos state that is almost third in Africa?
Do you mean all those were lies, rumours and propaganda that have no impact on our joint Federation Account?
What monumental corruption!

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 8:25am On Dec 27, 2016
bettercreature:
It was about $44 billion.Gej destroyed everything

Do you understand simple English?
Do you have a source?
Or do you not have a source?

Stalwert:
Thought it was over $60 billion when Jonathan took over?

Meanwhile you moved from "over 60 million" to "about 44 million" in just a few minutes.
The rate at which you are losing money, one can understand why you would defend an illiterate who has brought recession upon his fellow citizens.
So many lies.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by bettercreature(m): 8:28am On Dec 27, 2016
seguno2:

Do you understand simple English?
Do you have a source?
Or do you not have a source?
Google is your friend idiot! Obasanjo and Yaradua left about $44 billion behind

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by emymeeky: 8:29am On Dec 27, 2016
Stalwert:
[s][/s]

Nairalanders should gather food for this man oh... hunger dey cause madness oh

Na you need the food pass. When u no fit disprove the facts he presented, your only escape route na to resort to begging food for him grin

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 8:30am On Dec 27, 2016
bettercreature:
Google is your friend idiot! Obasanjo and Yaradua left about $44 billion behind

Obasanjo and Yar'Adua left the same amount?
Incredulous!
Did you get that from the idiots in Google also?
Hilarious!!!

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by bettercreature(m): 8:33am On Dec 27, 2016
seguno2:

Obasanjo and Yar'Adua left the same amount?
Incredulous!
Did you get that from the idiots in Google also?
Hilarious!!!
You are just embarrassing yourself! i have attached the screenshot.It was infact $45 billion

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 8:37am On Dec 27, 2016
bettercreature:
You are just embarrassing yourself! i have attached the screenshot.It was infact $45 billion

From the Foundation of the man who stole our $16 billion meant to provide us electricity?
The useless old man who crippled our universities and used their money to establish his own private Bells university?
Surely even the idiots in Google can do better than this.
Surely!!!

Meanwhile you are yet to show the source of the SAME amount that you claimed was also left by Yar'Adua.
I hope that you won't get that from his Foundation also.
Please check the idiots in Google.
And stop embarrassing yourself.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by 2sexynet: 8:39am On Dec 27, 2016
DropShot:
I am learning to ignore some trolls and dull posters on this forum. I hope I can sustain it.

Imagine some people already belly-aching at the prospect of the current administration getting us back to where we were four years ago; forgetting or deliberately ignoring the facts of the unparalleled damage done to our economy by their thieving heroes who later sponsored militants to frustrate government's efforts to save the battered economy.

They're equally pretending not to know that our major forex earners suffered a huge tumble such that we have been unable to earn a third of what their thieving uncles earned and looted.

They shall be shamed soon.

Until dollar returns to 180 naira, I don't care what Buhari does. This year would have been a greater investment year for most hard working and hustling Nigerians if not for the state of dollar. I know how many opportunities I have missed just because of high exchange rate. I am also sure there thousands of Nigerians like me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Coolgent(m): 8:41am On Dec 27, 2016
Some illiterate fools wl not consider this as an achievement
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 8:44am On Dec 27, 2016
Coolgent:

A man has a RUMOURED fat savings account yet his family is dying of hunger and cannot attend school due to unpaid school fees.
Would you say that the man is an:

a) illiterate
b) fool
c) all of the above.
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by wooleyboi(m): 8:53am On Dec 27, 2016
2sexynet:

Until dollar returns to 180 naira, I don't care what Buhari does. This year would have been a greater investment year for most hard working and hustling Nigerians if not for the state of dollar. I know how many opportunities I have missed just because of high exchange rate. I am also sure there thousands of Nigerians like me.

Abi Now, I relate well with you. Just that I prefer it lower. It was 150 remember...... On second thought I doubt if this dream go come true o

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by seguno2: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2016
wooleyboi:
Abi Now, I relate well with you. Just that I prefer it lower. It was 150 remember...... On second thought I doubt if this dream go come true o

You sef.
It is not a dream oh.
It is a promise.
From baba to his zombies.
N1 WILL BE made equal to the $.
We are waiting.
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by DropShot: 9:10am On Dec 27, 2016
2sexynet:

Some of you think there is magic to make Naira strong against the dollar. Perhaps you think PMB could print some dollars to replenish our foreign reserves that was looted by GEJ and his cronies.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Cekpo34(m): 9:35am On Dec 27, 2016
Coolgent:

But you the unrepentant simpleton here
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Cekpo34(m): 9:39am On Dec 27, 2016
DropShot:

Some of you think there is magic to make Naira strong against the dollar. Perhaps you think PMB could print some dollars to replenish our foreign reserves that was looted by GEJ and his cronies.

You aren't being fair here. Looting in Nigeria didn't start 6 years ago and didn't end in 2015... If OBJ could heal Nigeria on a harsher condition, ur principal has no excuse

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 27, 2016
[quote author=Truth234 post=52288034]
“We are not sure the extent this can go. Currently, the FX market is not a free-float one where the interplay of demand and supply determines price and volume. The uptick is not as a result of supply over demand. It happens when there is a slowdown in the allocation of FX,” the Chief Executive Officer, Cowry Asset Management Limited

The Nigerian economy is a simple economy that is only made complex by the political nature of its economic drivers. The reserves are dependent on consistent oil production of 1.8-2.0 bn bpd; meaning no little men who should be earning legitimate money, running around at night with dynamite. Even with a price of $40 pb the reserves will continue to rise. Oil is currently in the $51-53 range. The government has done reasonably well with the resources at his disposal. If it can resist playing to the gallery, we should see recovery in Q3 2017. If the government can obtain confessional funding then we can get recovery in Q2. Recession is not a terminal disease. Every economy goes into recession at some stage. What matters is HOW it comes out of it. If it adopts populist measures, listens to the crowd, then any recovery it manages to conjure will be short lived.

30 year olds should come together and take hold of a exposed areas of the economy using technology and social media as their levers. GT Bank founders were in this same type of situation when they launched the bank. They didn't ask the old generation to move away, neither did they ask for preferential terms or programs. They came together and acted using bandwidth.

Power is never given away, it must be won

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by rusher14: 9:50am On Dec 27, 2016
bettercreature:
What a dullard as the IPOD YOUTH use to call him
Saving money while my FORM M has been submitted since september and No dollar till now
Inflation will soon reach 50%

Form M for import no be so?

Abeg try export.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by DropShot: 9:57am On Dec 27, 2016
Cekpo34:

You aren't being fair here. Looting in Nigeria didn't start 6 years ago and didn't end in 2015... If OBJ could heal Nigeria on a harsher condition, ur principal has no excuse
What harsher condition did OBJ operate in?

Before you tell me the crude price per barrel in 1999 to 2007, also remember to tell me our population, our demand for imported goods then, as well as our GDP.

Many of you forget that natural course of events cannot make Nigeria function on parameters of 2010 talk less of 1999.

4 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Cekpo34(m): 10:01am On Dec 27, 2016
DropShot:

What harsher condition did OBJ operate in?

Before you tell me the crude price per barrel in 1999 to 2007, also remember to tell me our population, our demand for imported goods then, as well as our GDP.

Many of you forget that natural course of event cannot make Nigeria function on parameters of 2010 talk less of 1999.

I understand. But it shouldn't be this bad
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by DropShot: 10:06am On Dec 27, 2016
Cekpo34:

I understand. But it shouldn't be this bad
Two sides of a coin every time.

As bad as it is, many farmers are making millions this time around. Same goes for exporters.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Laka2bor(m): 10:21am On Dec 27, 2016
Haba! I Taut Dey Say GEJ Didn't Reserved Any Money For Nigeria.Where Do Dey Get Ds $25.9 Billion Dollas.I No Dias S Lot Of Secret Dat Will B Open Gradually Like Ds One.U Create D Battle U R Now Fighting D War By Ursef.Our God S Awesome God.I Av Once Go Down On My Knee & Ask God To Deal Wt Pipu Dat R Disturbing Peace Of Nigeria While Am Waiting To C GEJ To Go Down Afta His Govt But God C His @ Jst Like David In D Bible As Pure As Declared Afta God Own Heart For Nigeria.He Kip On Excel Home & Abroad.Remember Dangote Z Dollars Wil Rise To #500, Emir Sanusi Caution PMB On Rise Of Dollars & Pipu Dat Benefit Frm It. May God Deliver Naija From Rebellion,Tribalism,Ethnicity,Religion Diff. Naija Will B Great Soon.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Almand: 10:42am On Dec 27, 2016
Are we suppose to celebrate this when Buhari meet the thing at 30. He squander over 7billions in less than two years doing God's knows what. Now some idiot wants us to celebrate this like Buhari is growing our reserve
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by 4Play(m): 10:51am On Dec 27, 2016
DropShot:

Or maybe hired propagandists like you should stop cheerleading policies that make dollar inflow worse, like a fixed exchange rate regime.

You need to stop pretending you have principles other than religious/ethnic and pecuniary considerations for defending the indefensible.

3 Likes

Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by internetgangste: 11:00am On Dec 27, 2016
BeClever:

So if Buhari gets you back to where you were with a broken leg and damaged eyes after his 8yrs in office, you would still not see anything wrong?
You just sounded really stupid
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 27, 2016
2sexynet:

Millions u mean
Re: External Reserves Rise Further, Now $25.4bn by 4Play(m): 11:20am On Dec 27, 2016
On the subject of reserves, here is a post I made in July 2015 in a thread celebrating the rise of the reserves to $32bn which I think is is somewhat apt:

4Play:

If the CBN outrightly refuses to supply foreign exchange to many importers, reserves will go up but the downside is that the Naira's value will plummet. That is essentially what we have seen as US dollars become scarce.
The persistent decline of the naira in the parallel market followed the introduction of new measures by the central bank last month, restricting access to hard currency at the interbank in a bid to conserve dwindling foreign exchange reserves
http://www.punchng.com/business/money/cbn-adjusts-rate-as-naira-falls-to-244/

The accumulation of foreign reserves at the expense of the Naira's value is not new. Here is a quote from Wikipedia in respect of the Sani Abacha era
Despite the international shun his government endured, he oversaw an increase in the country's foreign exchange reserves from $494 million dollars in 1993 to $9.6 billion by the middle of 1997
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sani_Abacha. Was this because the Abacha regime was not corrupt? No. What happened to the Naira whilst all these reserves were accumulated? Naira went from 22 Naira to a $1 in 1993 to 84 Naira to $1 in 1998. https://www.nairaland.com/498412/nigeria-exchange-rates-dollar-history.

The true test of whether Buhari's anti-corruption measures are working will be a repatriation of stolen wealth to nation's coffers. We won't have to read between the lines as any refunded loot should be made public.

https://www.nairaland.com/2476038/buharis-corruption-watch-begins-yield/1#36253175

PS: The Abacha wikipedia link may have been modified since my July 2015 post. I have posted an up to date extract from his Wikipedia profile though which highlights the increase in reserves:

The Abacha administration became the first to record unprecedented economic achievements:[7] he oversaw an increase in the country's foreign exchange reserves from $494 million in 1993 to $9.6 billion by the middle of 1997, reduced the external debt of Nigeria from $36 billion in 1993 to $27 billion by 1997, brought all the controversial privatization programs of the Babangida administration to halt, reduced an inflation rate of 54% inherited from Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida to 8.5% between 1993 and 1998, all while the nation's primary commodity, oil was at an average of $15 per barrel.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sani_Abacha

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Visit Rekindles Ebonyi APC Leadership Tussle / Yuletide: Pay N800 Billion Subsidy Now To Avoid Fuel Scarcity - MURIC Warns FG / Labour To FG: Workers, Nigerians Suffering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.