Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,729 members, 7,851,505 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:55 PM

They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING (2947 Views)

Don't Miss This Next Big Thing - Don't Say I Didn't Try For You / Network Marketing Is The Next Big Thing.. Please Take Your Time To Read. / Npower December Allowance Payment: FG Lied To Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by Carmal90(m): 6:51am On Dec 30, 2016
spenca:

When you say words like this better you realize you are starting a discussion whether you chose to call it argument or not but since you don't want to "argue" I won't dignify your assumptions with a response.

Better,everbody has his or her own cross to carry
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by Lakol: 7:07am On Dec 30, 2016
I would suggest if u want to become reach in Nigeria, limit ur educational career to OND, if u av d money let it end to either Bsc or HND. Den go for hand work, or start a small biz.
My little story is enough. I am a Bsc grad of uniorin. 7 yrs ago.Immediately I graduated, I started my biz, its not up 3 months we were called up for youth service, I went for d orienntation camp, after which we where posted to PPA, I made arrngemeny wit my AI, so I left there back to lag to monitor my crawling biz and I forgot my allowed or wateva. 2 yrs after d service I went for my MSC at Unilag, I got d money for it from my biz. I finished my MSC and up till now still waiting for a dream job. I got married wit a kid and take care of my family wit my biz. Now was live happily in my own built house. Not too xoensive though.
Up till now I still av my mate DT still teach in private scul collecting 15k. Some working in a company wit stress and time consuming. Wake up 4 am rushing to a man's work while I will still be sleeping by 8.am.
In a nutshell had I know Di's is wat Di's country is I would av limited my education to bsc only.
Advice to the undergraduate, for d graduate is not too late, pls zero ur mind out of Nigerian job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 30, 2016
@ lakol: you have a valid point. The major issue in starting up a biz is finance. For instance, I have a lot of business ideas ranging from transportation to buying and selling, to production, but no capital. No bank wants to give loan without collateral and the ones that are willing to give loan without collateral will expect you to have a steady job or biz.

It's a tough one bro!

God help us!
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by jolak5(m): 10:42am On Dec 30, 2016
Wow....i am simply motivated...words cannot express how I feel right now. I presently work in a school whefe I get paid a meager amount. I keep on telling people that I want to quit but they tell u to manage what you have and be grateful. You inspired me sir...pls check my thread and you will see one of the ideas I want to pursue.. its my dream but people around me tell me its better to earn something than to chase a dream that is too wide. Thank you again...I would like to hear your feedback
Lakol:
I would suggest if u want to become reach in Nigeria, limit ur educational career to OND, if u av d money let it end to either Bsc or HND. Den go for hand work, or start a small biz.
My little story is enough. I am a Bsc grad of uniorin. 7 yrs ago.Immediately I graduated, I started my biz, its not up 3 months we were called up for youth service, I went for d orienntation camp, after which we where posted to PPA, I made arrngemeny wit my AI, so I left there back to lag to monitor my crawling biz and I forgot my allowed or wateva. 2 yrs after d service I went for my MSC at Unilag, I got d money for it from my biz. I finished my MSC and up till now still waiting for a dream job. I got married wit a kid and take care of my family wit my biz. Now was live happily in my own built house. Not too xoensive though.
Up till now I still av my mate DT still teach in private scul collecting 15k. Some working in a company wit stress and time consuming. Wake up 4 am rushing to a man's work while I will still be sleeping by 8.am.
In a nutshell had I know Di's is wat Di's country is I would av limited my education to bsc only.
Advice to the undergraduate, for d graduate is not too late, pls zero ur mind out of Nigerian job.
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by Lakol: 11:47am On Dec 30, 2016
Yea... If we look at it critically, we see dt d problem of starting up is also partial to finance. Like for me, had d opportunity of using my dad house as office startup.
Howeva, in as much as I had an opportunity of a space I tell u I still face challenges of financial and ability to take off. I tell u d space I use has been there yrs before I gained admission to scul. And it was after my scul dt I came back to discover it will b gud for my biz, I asked where are y brothers dt ave been looking for job, y culdnt dey discovered d space. My brother its still down to ur mindset as well dt no job, but if it comes gud if it does not, life goes on.
Every individual has opportunity at our disposal but we don't make use of it. It might not be space, it might idea, or finance tru ur family, it might be marketing idea which I myself lack an so on. Make use of d opportunity u have den pray towards it.
Wen I wanted to start my biz some of my mates in scul laugh at me. After few yrs dey are still looking for job, dey came to my office and say u are still doing Di's biz I said yes. Dey said wit Di's u cannot even get job. Today dey say guy u are d onw enjoying ooo, u are smart ooo etc.
Well I thank God today for my biz sha, if there is an opportunity for d so called white collar, my certificates are still there...
Let me pause here
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by emmanuelbrown26: 10:04pm On Dec 30, 2016
jolak5:
Deep in thought and alone in my room, I remember those days my mother used to tell me that getting a good education would take me places, I never knew it was a lie.........I can still remember all the songs they used to cajole us like "To ba ka we ree,bataa ree a dun koko kaa", "there is nothing like education" and so on. ....... now I am in my room with a Bsc certificate in the bag but I can't boast of a shining shoe......you see your friends that were "olodo" and unserious back then in school doing great things......you read your eyes out back then in school but ordinary school teaching job is hard to find........It was all a lie
I wanted to repair my phone and I went to a young engineer (probably my age), I was shocked when I saw the number of people that queued there, imagine how much the guy is making in a month but they told us, Education is the next big thing
We were never taught how to make money, we were taught how to memorize (CRAM)...
You can see what young Innovative Entrepreneurs acheive, even those that never went to school......
Education is never the next big thing, we were just lied to.....
Your opinions.........
Would appreciate it if people can share their view....still alone in my room
@op well the major problem we HV in this country is that we don't teach HOW TO BE FINANCIAL INDEPENDENT. Parents are not helping matter, we too are not helping matters, I believe its high time we start thinking outside the box. I always tell me brothers that the first thing I will teach my unborn children is HOW MONEY WORKS FOR HUMAN NOT HUMAN WORKING FOR MONEY. I have studied western countries I came to realize why they are waxing stronger day-by-day, u hear a 10 year old inventing new stuff why bcs they werent taught only to go to school but how to develop self

1 Like

Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by Engineermbugame(m): 5:54pm On Jan 02, 2017
Lakol:
wow ,words of wisdom
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:00pm On Jan 02, 2017
make you dey there dey looku looku

before nko...what do you expect.

the problem is that most of us are not thinking of practicalizing our ideas
we are looking for already made jobs in fashion of oil company and govt jobs,

go to farm, they said no.
Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by micky22: 4:29pm On Jan 04, 2017
jolak5:

I wanted to repair my phone and I went to a young engineer (probably my age), I was shocked when I saw the number of people that queued there,
Op I can feel your pain, knowing what it means to earn a university degree only to stay at home jobless for years. You did not mention your. course of study.
Now come to think of it, Nigerian young school leavers aspiring to go into the higher institutions need to be enlightened to identify professional courses that could guarantee them a career without much efforts upon graduation, be it from a university or a polytechnic. In developed countries, not every body obtain professional certificates for the purpose of being gainfully employed, so education does not necessarily guarantee employment, but guarantees professional presentations, and where one could stand out in the society when need be.
and finally, need I say that professionalism has been interloped by charlatans, and your statement doesn't help matter, but makes your being a graduate questionable. how can you call a phone repairer an engineer?
so sickening that most Nigerian graduates can't even id3ntify a crafts person, an artisan, a technician, technologist and then an engineer. This is a simple question that most graduates fail woefully in a test or interview, only to start blaming it on their non existing enemies when denied of employments.
But my friend, I don't mean to be rude, hence my apology. be positive, make the best use of the search engines and always follow up after interviews. I wish you best of luck.

1 Like

Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by GRACEGLORY: 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2017
jolak5:
Deep in thought and alone in my room, I remember those days my mother used to tell me that getting a good education would take me places, I never knew it was a lie.........I can still remember all the songs they used to cajole us like "To ba ka we ree,bataa ree a dun koko kaa", "there is nothing like education" and so on. ....... now I am in my room with a Bsc certificate in the bag but I can't boast of a shining shoe......you see your friends that were "olodo" and unserious back then in school doing great things......you read your eyes out back then in school but ordinary school teaching job is hard to find........It was all a lie
I wanted to repair my phone and I went to a young engineer (probably my age), I was shocked when I saw the number of people that queued there, imagine how much the guy is making in a month but they told us, Education is the next big thing
We were never taught how to make money, we were taught how to memorize (CRAM)...
You can see what young Innovative Entrepreneurs acheive, even those that never went to school......
Education is never the next big thing, we were just lied to.....
Your opinions.........
Would appreciate it if people can share their view....still alone in my room

No. They didn't lie, they didn't know better either as that was the same they were told.

But the truth begins from here: being able to differentiate school from education.
Education has never been to school.

1 Like

Re: They Lied To Us, EDUCATION Is Never The Next Big THING by jolak5(m): 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2017
micky22:
Op I can feel your pain, knowing what it means to earn a university degree only to stay at home jobless for years. You did not mention your. course of study.
Now come to think of it, Nigerian young school leavers aspiring to go into the higher institutions need to be enlightened to identify professional courses that could guarantee them a career without much efforts upon graduation, be it from a university or a polytechnic. In developed countries, not every body obtain professional certificates for the purpose of being gainfully employed, so education does not necessarily guarantee employment, but guarantees professional presentations, and where one could stand out in the society when need be.
and finally, need I say that professionalism has been interloped by charlatans, and your statement doesn't help matter, but makes your being a graduate questionable. how can you call a phone repairer an engineer?
so sickening that most Nigerian graduates can't even a crafts person, an artisan, a technician, technologist and then an engineer. This is a simple question that most graduates fail woefully in a test or interview, only to start blaming it on their non existing enemies when denied of employments.
But my friend, I don't mean to be rude, hence my apology. be positive, make the best use of the search engines and always follow up after interviews. I wish you best of luck.
you spoke well.... thanks for the insight
The usage of "engineer" doesn't mean i don't know the difference between an engineer and a phone repairer..... Thanks anyway.... point taken

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Insight Communication Selection Test!.contribute! / Any Hope For One With A 2.2 In Chemical Engineering / Vacancy For A Customer Relationship Management Executive (Salary Is ₦85,000)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.