Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,383 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens (39707 Views)

We Pay N1.5billion To Poorest Nigerians Monthly - VP Osinbajo Says / "Jonathan, The Poorest Ex-President, His Parlour Can’t Hold 10 People" - Igali / How We Selected Beneficiaries Of N5,000 Stipend To Poorest Nigerians- Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Geniro: 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2017
greenpasture:

I am not sure many understand that the overall aim of the conditional cash credit is to stimulate the economy as a means of reducing long term poverty. 2% of Nigerians own over 90% of money in the banking system so definitely 1m beneficiaries out of a total population of 160m plus is a drop in the ocean.

However when it comes to stimulating the economy, the injection of this amount monthly and it's multiplier effect at the base of the pyramid especially towards agriculture is immense.

So
1. Will it wipe out poverty in the short term NO
2. Will it stimulate a domesticated economy YES
3. Will it improve Healthcare through mandatory inoculation of beneficiary households YES
4. Will it provide incentive that increase financial inclusion YES
5. Will the cumulative impact of 2&3 reduce long term poverty YES

Brother, you haven't answered the pertinent question of how they generated the current database to reflect the most vulnerable Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2017
Geniro:

Brother, you haven't answered the pertinent question of how they generated the current database to reflect the most vulnerable Nigerians.

I have no doubt that the 1m people will be amongst the most vulnerable.

Why?

The BVN database is the complete database of banked individuals but was also crossed with sim card registration data in 2016. This greatly expanded the database. Mobile telecom penetration is 94% of the adult population. And will be higher when calculated against the number of households and not individuals. Meaning the database is NOT a small sample size. It is actually very large. The cross between mobile phone numbers and BVN makes this so.

The actual beneficiaries in this exercise were obtained by running a data script to capture the historic lowest averages in bank deposits and monthly retention.

There is a lot of nit picking over this program. People are understandably wary of government but this is not a new program, it isn't unique to Nigeria and it is going to work. The convergence of three biometric exercises in the last three years; voter registration, sim card registration and BVN registration makes this an inflection moment for citizens data.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2017
Boydehot:
Who are the unemployed graduate? Which data base will be use to checkmate the money distribution or is this another avenue to embezzle money.

Where did FG tell you 5k will be given to "unemployed graduates". You just don't read, yet come on to spew ignorance
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2017
Fortissimo502:

1. I can see with my eyes. Oh! really?

2. I'm not asking for a quick fix. The 5k per month thing is the quick fix. Focusing on infrastructure is much more strategic with potentially longer lasting economic benefits.Just simply say you don't understand and too lazy to find out about the scheme. If it seems to you that 5k is frivolously doled out, then you're just not comprehending the social safety net intervention scheme. "infrastructure" that you tout, yet fail to articulate is not a substitute for social safety interventions. They are absolutely mutually exclusive

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2017
Kingspin:
You are the one that is highly living inside ignorance. How do you think Counties like Dubai and European are doing it? They have made good plans, rules and regulations and have been carrying them out for better development of their society and people. If you break the law no matter how you are you find it difficult to escape. Nigeria is one of the most internal divided people. A country dwelling so much on religion and tribalism rather than development will struggle to grow and may never grow. The country will never move forward unless they have agree on that in practice/action. I don't need to type too much one thing is to make law and another is to fellow it or get punished for it. If you fail on this regard you are calling for anarchy. Our leaders know the right things but pride selfishness,greed and lack of love for the country and one another will not allow them. Those calling for restructuring of the system has a big point.

For a minute, I was wondering what this "o'level" lecture has to do with social intervention programs?........ Yet I'll take it in for "new knowledge" as I've "never" been to "Dubal", "European" nor Mars grin grin
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by SleekyPosh(m): 11:39pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Bros,

Weep for yourself.....especially the fact that you are probably a graduate, yet cannot comprehend beyond a baseline

smiley I will let u slide..

4 the best of reason your generations will never ever understand.

Itz owk.

But please...Learn how to read other pplz opinion and move on without qouting them owk.

Use ur Brain..itz nt just a toy hanging in ur skull.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Kingspin(m): 1:13am On Jan 04, 2017
mapet:

For a minute, I was wondering what this "o'level" lecture has to do with social intervention programs?........ Yet I'll take it in for "new knowledge" as I've "never" been to "Dubal", "European" nor Mars grin grin
You can sit right inside your hut and do the googling about countries or are you new on earth?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Boydehot: 5:36am On Jan 04, 2017
Mr reader oya tell me the reason behind the payment of 5000 stipend
mapet:

Where did FG tell you 5k will be given to "unemployed graduates". You just don't read, yet come on to spew ignorance
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 7:34am On Jan 04, 2017
Boydehot:
Mr reader oya tell me the reason behind the payment of 5000 stipend

Why should I be responsible for your reading and comprehension deficit? I ask again, where did the FG tell you that the 5k social intervention fund is for unemployed graduates?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 7:36am On Jan 04, 2017
Kingspin:
You can sit right inside your hut and do the googling about countries or are you new on earth?

Some of you are just patently ignorant and unashamedly arrogant. Your limited knowledge and exposure you show in a crude way.

So my take is that you want me to know you have been to Dubai............cos beyond that you hardly made sense
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 7:38am On Jan 04, 2017
SleekyPosh:

smiley I will let u slide..

4 the best of reason your generations will never ever understand.

Itz owk.

But please...Learn how to read other pplz opinion and move on without qouting them owk.

Use ur Brain..itz nt just a toy hanging in ur skull.

Oh! Noted. At least I will put into consideration that some people are slow and should be overlooked
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Boydehot: 8:43am On Jan 04, 2017
Oga don't always claim to be wise. When apc promised to pay 23million vulnerable nigerians 5000 stipend monthly and u think that unemployed graduate(youth)those not fall to that category?
mapet:

Why should I be responsible for your reading and comprehension deficit? I ask again, where did the FG tell you that the 5k social intervention fund is for unemployed graduates?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2017
Boydehot:
Oga don't always claim to be wise. When apc promised to pay 23million vulnerable nigerians 5000 stipend monthly and u think that unemployed graduate(youth)those not fall to that category?

You are just demonstrating you comprehension deficit the more. Did APC promise unemployed graduates 5k? You are just reducing the intellectual quality of the discussion.....
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Kingspin(m): 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2017
mapet:

Some of you are just patently ignorant and unashamedly arrogant. Your limited knowledge and exposure you show in a crude way.

So my take is that you want me to know you have been to Dubai............cos beyond that you hardly made sense
If I told you there is something called 'Obamacares' the next thing is? I leave in America according to you. All these while you never proffer any thing on how the Nigeria should be best govern rather you focus on making irrelevant comments and silly remarks. Hope you're not a gossip type? Take to issues please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 05, 2017
bookface:

Nice shoes trustyshoes. cheesy wanna go cycling sometime? I know some really good places aroud Wales. cheesy
Sure smiley
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by emusbyz(m): 8:26am On Jan 15, 2017
No, I want you to tell your president and my president to stop deceiving Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Report Any Filling Station Selling Higher Than 87# / ChukwuEmeka Woke Arrested For Dakuku's Assassination Attempt / Governor Kashim Shettima Harvests Cucumbers From His Farm (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.