Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens (39710 Views)

We Pay N1.5billion To Poorest Nigerians Monthly - VP Osinbajo Says / "Jonathan, The Poorest Ex-President, His Parlour Can’t Hold 10 People" - Igali / How We Selected Beneficiaries Of N5,000 Stipend To Poorest Nigerians- Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by buchilino(m): 6:57am On Jan 03, 2017
alfred007:
my fellow citizens of this country called Nigeria, good morning.
I believe that most persons on this forum are exposed and have a certain level of education. Also I would want to think that majority of us are YOUTH.

If my assumptions are true then why all these clueless and gullible comments.

1. Nigeria has no data-base: how will they know the poorest persons in the country?

2. I supposed, the money will be paid in the bank: how did they get the account details?

3. This government does everything on media: I bet you this will circulate for a while and die off. remember Saraki case and others, Saraki is still Senate President.

4. Do you not think this is the most foolish idea? What do an average youth spend in a day? how much do you spend in a week?

5. I think as youths this country belongs to us. when do we start holding our leaders accountable. they come up, say one thing or the other and will do nothing about anything.

THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE AFRAID OF ITS CITIZENS, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

THAT'S WHY AFRICA CAN NEVER DEVELOP.

SOMETIME LAST YEAR SOMEONE SAID BY DECEMBER RICE WILL BE SOLD 7500 A BAG BUT TILL TODAY I AM BUYING 25000 A BAG.

NOBODY HAS SAID ANYTHING TILL TODAY.

I WEEP FOR THIS NATION.

MY BROTHER, MOST PPLES MENTALITY IS TERRIBLE. IMAGINE FG SAYING DEY WILL PAY DEM 10 DOLLARS( $1=500NAIRA) IN A MONTH, N SOME JACKA.S IN NL R STILL SAYING SAI BABA. HOW DO U EXPECT "YOUTHS" 2 HOLD D POLITICIANS ACCOUNTABLE WEN DEY R ALWAYS READY 2 ACCEPT PEANUTS.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by musicwriter(m): 6:59am On Jan 03, 2017
Whenever I hear African countries relying on world bank data to perfom a simply task such as identifying most vulnerable Nigerians, it speaks volumes that no education is really going on in schools in third world countries. Otherwise, how could the world bank have such important data about Nigeria while the Nigerian government have none? Aren't there statisticians coming out of our universities?

Scrap this foolery called education!. Its not serving its purpose in Africa!!.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 03, 2017
Let's see how far this project goes,I don't understand how they are gonna get the poorest citizens in the country...Baba,use the money for reasonable projects,biko.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 03, 2017
musicwriter:
Whenever I hear African countries relying on world bank data to perfom a simply task such as identifying most vulnerable Nigerians, it speaks volumes that no education is really going on in schools in third world countries. Otherwise, how could the world bank have such important data about Nigeria while the Nigerian government have none? Aren't there statisticians coming out of our universities?

Scrap this foolery called education!. Its not serving its purpose in Africa!!.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Elfaris(m): 7:11am On Jan 03, 2017
disc20:
The Federal Government has commenced the payment of N5,000 monthly to one million vulnerable Nigerians.

In a statement released, Monday, by Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to Vice president Yemi Osinbajo, the government stated that the payment was effected through the Conditional Cash Transfer, CCT, of the government’s Social Investment Programmes, SIP.

According to the statement, one million Nigerians would receive N5,000 monthly payments under the CCT as a form of social safety net for the poorest and most vulnerable as budgeted for in the 2016 Budget.

Mr. Akande added that many of the beneficiaries have already reported receiving their first payments in the first batch that commenced last week.

“In the first batch that commenced last week, nine states would be covered, and many of the beneficiaries have already reported receiving their first payments by Friday last week, December 30, 2016.

“Funds for the commencement of the payments in four states were released last week to the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) – the platform that hosts and validates payments for all government’s social intervention programmes. Funds for another set of five states to complete the first batch of nine states would follow soon.”

The statement listed Borno, Kwara, Bauchi, Cross Rivers, Niger, Kogi, Oyo, Ogun and Ekiti states as states in the first batch to commence the CCT statement. It however said that the states were selected because they had a social register that identified the vulnerable and poorest Nigerians.

“Though the sequence for the payment of the money would be operationally managed by NIBSS, beneficiaries in Borno, Kwara and Bauchi States have started receiving the money. The other states in the first batch to commence the CCT payments are Cross Rivers, Niger, Kogi, Oyo, Ogun & Ekiti States,” Mr. Akande said.

“The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank. However other states have already begun developing their Social Registers and would be included in subsequent phases of the CCT implementation.”

According to the statement, the federal government, with the support of the World Bank, has adopted the CBT for developing the social register in the other states around the country for transparency, objectivity and credibility in the selection of the poorest and vulnerable Nigerians. Hence, the federal government will soon commence community mobilisation for the creation of the register in more states, to expand the scope and reach of the CCT across the country.

Other states listed to have complied with the stipulated framework provided and are set for the community based targeting method for development of social register include Plateau, Jigawa, Adamawa, Anambra, Benue, Enugu, Katsina and Taraba States.

These states, Mr. Akande said, are to be followed by Delta, Gombe, Kaduna, Kano, Imo and Ogun States. The government also assured that once the information garnered are entered into the social register, cash transfers would be disbursed to beneficiaries.

“Once the community mobilisation, identification and selection processes are completed, the information garnered from the poorest households would be entered onto the Social Register in the
states and the National Register at NIBSS, after which the cash transfers would be disbursed to the beneficiaries.”

The statement also disclosed that funds approved for the SIP are domiciled with the Ministry of Budget and National Planning.

Meanwhile, the federal government said that with the commencement of the CCT, the Buhari administration is now implementing four of the federal government’s SIP.
Mr. Akande said the N-Power Volunteer Corps designed to hire half a million unemployed graduates has now engaged 200,000, and the National Homegrown School Feeding Programme now runs in three states.

He said the Buhari administration has also kicked-off the Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme, GEEP.

“Under GEEP, soft loans ranging from N10,000 to 100,000 have been designed for artisans, traders, market women among others. Already, thousands of cooperatives, market women associations, farmers and enterprising youths, have been identified and registered for the purpose, on an ongoing basis, and the disbursement of the soft loans through the Bank of Industry have started since Nov 25, 2016.

“At the last count, for the first phase, beneficiaries have been drawn from the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abia, Adamawa, Bauchi, Delta, Imo, Kwara, Kano, Katsina, Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ogun and Kogi States.”

The statement however said that regarding the GEEP, disbursements were halted and deferred until after the festive season but vetting and approval of beneficiaries are now being continued
Commenting on the 200,000 beneficiaries of the N-power programme, Mr. Akande said about 100,000 graduates have been physically verified, adding that they have started receiving their N30,000 stipends.

“Regarding the 200,000 beneficiaries of the N-Power programme, close to 50 per cent of the graduates, have now been physically verified, and started receiving their monthly stipends of N30,000 last week. A second batch of 300,000 unemployed graduates are expected to be
selected early this year to make up the half a million target set by the Buhari administration.

“The verified graduates are now being deployed to work as assistant teachers in schools, as community health aides and as agricultural extension workers, in more than 20 States of the Federation. These sates include; Abia, Adamawa, Bauchi, Anambra, Benue, Cross Rivers, Borno, Gombe, Edo, Jigawa, Katsina, Plateau, Kogi, Osun, Rivers, Zamfara, Niger, Sokoto, Ogun and Taraba.”

In the same vein, the government said it has also started the implementation of the National Home-grown School Feeding programme designed to feed 5.5 million school children for 200 school days in the first phase of the programme. According to the statement, the initial design was to
feed pupils in 18 States but funding challenges had affected an earlier take-off. It however said that the programme has now commenced in Osun, Kaduna and Anambra States, adding that more states are expected to join this new year.

The federal government reiterated its commitment to touching the lives of millions of vulnerable Nigerians, especially in the new year, in fulfilment of its Change agenda.

“In the new year, it is the plan of the Federal Government to scale up the implementation of the SIP to touch the lives of millions of Nigerians in fulfilment of its promises and in furtherance of its Change agenda,” Mr. Akande said.

Source: https://yaanews.com/nigerian-government-starts-paying-n5000-every-month-poorest-citizens
Very good move by the government fulfilling those electoral promises.. Don't know why some people would come up here to criticise this when they would be the first to scream it out wen it isn't done.... hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by obailala(m): 7:22am On Jan 03, 2017
Oblang:

I guess u would have preferred the free money be shared with the likes of metuh,ffk and others through ATM dasuki...
Is that the only alternative activity that can be executed with money?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by DejiDaGreat(m): 7:26am On Jan 03, 2017
The baselessness of d programme notwithstanding, will d selected "vulnerable" Nigerians b paid their arrears since d it had been budgeted for in 2016? Height of fraud...well, I'm not surprised at all, since we are now in d era of systematic corruption. APC...deceptive govt, continue pls.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Oblang(m): 7:29am On Jan 03, 2017
obailala:
Is that the only alternative activity that can be executed with money?

Is that the only thing the govt is doing?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mfujah(m): 7:43am On Jan 03, 2017
[quote author=brostheo post=52478879]If I don't receive any alert, then na just propaganda[/quote you are not poor cos u are using Android.... abi u be almagiri ne ? lol
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by SleekyPosh(m): 7:52am On Jan 03, 2017
I REGRET BEING A NIGERIAN...This is nothing but utter shame and madness..Even the so called educated ones are just a bunch of retards..

If u have a 1st degree or HND from any institution and you still come here to believe this useless and illfated programme will even enhance the welfare of any poor person that zeven if it eventually gets into the hands of the actual less priviledged people and doesnt get stashed up in the account of this Bastard govt officials using ghost records and invisible data ti siphon funds meant for the needy..Then You are also a part of the problem of this country

i weep for this nation...We are bleeped already here..its a pity.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 03, 2017
Fg should reveal the identity of the 5k beneficiaries.This is a scam.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Boydehot: 8:26am On Jan 03, 2017
Am not yet convince till the money is distributed to all account holders and not selectively. All nigerians are entitle to that money. There is nothing like poorest Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by ideology(m): 8:33am On Jan 03, 2017
it is a very easy way of making people poor, but some gullible / ignorant ones will jubilate
nwosu35:
This ideology is very wrong.. . . Full stop
If they channel the money to industrialization, imagine the effect on the economy, new jobs will be create, it will help naira to dollar stabilize etc.

Our leaders are clueless event those with PHd's (very foolish thoughts)

embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

I weep for Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by zudozz: 8:38am On Jan 03, 2017
hausas d richest n poorest!
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 8:50am On Jan 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

What is the criteria for vulnerable poor citizens? How did the government got their data? How are we sure that the so called vulnerable poor citizens are what they imply? How are we sure the scheme wouldn't fail like SURE-P

Well from the report, it stated that the states had a social register of the poor, which met the set criteria of the social safety net scheme and vetted by World bank. In other words, it is left to the states to fulfil the first criteria, before qualifying.

I'm persuaded to believe that this scheme is sustainable and will not go the way of SURE-P. First off, it was painstakingly planned and now being executed. IF it were just for face-saving and political campaign schemes, cash would have been dolled out and the programme would have hit the rock

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Kayrich(m): 8:57am On Jan 03, 2017
I pray God forgive all antagonists of this.
You didn't go against it when it was mentioned during there campaign. You ve forsaken them when this programme wasn't forthcoming. It has come now, you re dragging it with the poor's who re the beneficiaries.
I so much believe this is not going to be for any nairalander who can afford data everyday here.
I pray u will not encounter poverty in your life.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by koolcat: 9:01am On Jan 03, 2017
our9ja:
Na everybody go school?
@least it can go both ways....increasing alawee and also paying tge aaid 5k to the poorest youths as they tagged it.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Reptyle(m): 9:12am On Jan 03, 2017
Lanretoye:
How do we knw the poorest citizens now?

Well for one, the poorest people aren't on Nairaland because they cannot afford data.

Thank God you can...so you aren't one of them.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 03, 2017
jagugu88li:
In countries were this welfare services has been active normally, the focus is at first those places we call slums, villages etc

Villagers (headsman or whatever you have) already know who's who. Social development arranges a meeting with the villagers, present their reason for visiting and are handed a list. Home affairs or Social affairs match the names in their system to check and verify them. Obviously, if one has a paycheck, were taxes are drawn, then you get nothing. Same applies to slums. They have ward counsellors, whom are expected to know who's who, drawing a better judgement as to who really deserves social grant. Street hawkers, vendors, trolley pushers, disabled poor......also benefit. For as long as one has no tax number.

The beneficiaries are expected to renew cards, update their details whenever the government feels necessary, as a measure of eradicating the moles in the system.

Unfortunately, corruption wont stop because where civil servants talk money........the rest is inevitable. Question is, will the government be able to sustain it?
Corruption is the key issue here
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 03, 2017
Rossikki:

Don't be heartless. The most vulnerable need a social safety net.
Am not being heartless but realistic. You and I know the Nigeria factor. Schemes like this may not get to the right persons.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by claremont(m): 9:24am On Jan 03, 2017
Those of you on the first page of this thread who keep on asking how the government will know who is poor and vulnerable, did you actually read this emboldened part of the article?! The government is using a well-proven framework that was modelled by the world bank.

This social welfare scheme is a fantastic development in my opinion, true development in any economy is measured by how it treats its poor and vulnerable. All major developed countries have social welfare schemes that cater for the poorest of the poor, Nigeria is on the way up.
disc20:

“The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank. However other states have already begun developing their Social Registers and would be included in subsequent phases of the CCT implementation.”

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 03, 2017
seguno2:

Yeah.
The head leads by example of N100 million for new kitchen utensils!
The head leads by example of N750 million rent for Aso Rock!!
The head leads by example of Aso clinic budget more than ALL Teaching hospitals combined but still goes to London to repair his ears!!!

Why is it so easy to fool us?
Why?
Well that's the citizens are being moved by religiosity and tribalism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Well from the report, it stated that the states had a social register of the poor, which met the set criteria of the social safety net scheme and vetted by World bank. In other words, it is left to the states to fulfil the first criteria, before qualifying.

I'm persuaded to believe that this scheme is sustainable and will not go the way of SURE-P. First off, it was painstakingly planned and now being executed. IF it were just for face-saving and political campaign schemes, cash would have been dolled out and the programme would have hit the rock
OK I think I agree with you to a large extend.Am only critical not because I don't wish this government well but we have to be realistic in some things. This scheme will work in some states favourably well while the others would divert it especially the south south States
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by airminem(f): 9:38am On Jan 03, 2017
A pal in Cross River reported receiving multiple alert amounting to 15 thousand,,,,wow shocked
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by obailala(m): 9:39am On Jan 03, 2017
Oblang:

Is that the only thing the govt is doing?
There are just better ways the money should be utilised other than just dishing cash out to people.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Kemziee(f): 9:44am On Jan 03, 2017
How do we know the poorest citizens.... this is another way to steal money...
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 03, 2017
Qmerit:

Am serious when I say the poor don't spend like the rich! Look at this, when the rich drive to fuel station to fill tank like 10k, the poor fill his bike if there's any with less than 1k, when the rich go to fast food and spend hell the poor go to mama put and spend meagre, when the rich make a pot of soup/stew 6k or more give the poor 1k soup would be ready sometime sweeter, when the rich buys a bottle of win for 5k,10k,20k,30k etc the poor buys spirit/ sapele water for 2h and be high. Comparisons re many.
I know from your analysis but that money is damn oo small. How much is a litre of fuel? How much is a bowl of garri? .you know the poor has children to caretaker for .in this part of world the poor give birth to many children, so how would N5,000 in this present situation help?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by bizhop01: 10:51am On Jan 03, 2017
PL'S WHO ARE THE POOR?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mrpackager(m): 1:22pm On Jan 03, 2017
Buh I thought they initially denied not promising any 5k undecided
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 2:18pm On Jan 03, 2017
Some of our assertive statements are false. Thank God you said it is what you feel.......

alexiej:
Here are what I feel;

1. Nigeria has no database, so the govt can't know (and reach out to) the real people in need. - Who told you Nigeria has no database? Do we have a holistic database in the sense of it, may be no; but do we have data to start work with...absolutely yes!. States had had some forms of data collection in the past. Donor agencies and World bank had worked with state government to collect data in areas of health and community engagement for example. This is done in many sub-saharan African countries

2. This reminds us that while some idiots are buying new cars and getting furniture allowance and refusing to pay salaries, so many pple are so poor, 5k is a big thing to them. True dat.

3. The older generation used to talk about how that u could buy a car with less than 5k in their days. How has the naira falling so hard!

4. I believe investing into education would bring much better (long term) benefits. True! But we are in a special situation where a single approach (investing in education) is insufficient. You have to "incentivise" the "poor" to be able to consider sending their children to school and not on street trading or traded off as house-boys/house-girls. You have to make sure kids in school are fed, so as to boost their growth and learning capability

Summary? I'm not being pessimistic, but I don't see this working at all.

Well your opinion. But is it not at least a bold step in the right direction? If we fail along the way, we simply step back, reassess it and readjust. Not taking action at all is unpardonable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Kashim Shettima Harvests Cucumbers From His Farm (Photos) / Air Force Personnel In Abuja Streets (Photos) / Neither Senate Nor DSS Can Stop My Fight Against Corruption — Magu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.