Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Spirit Lives - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spirit Lives (19564 Views)

3 Reasons We Need Jesus In Our Marriages And Our Lives / You Are A Spirit That Lives In A Body / God Has No Value For Human Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Spirit Lives by ScienceWatch: 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2017
oaroloye:
SHALOM!

I am not familiar with APOLLINOUS OF TYANA.

Was he a person of any significance?

During his NAGUALISM Apprenticeship, his instructors, Dons JUAN MATUS and GENARO FLORES showed CARLOS CASTANEDA how to SCAN THE ENTIRE EARTH to DETECT and EVALUATE Spiritual Activity.

The purpose of this exercise- they looked in on CHURCHES, TEMPLES, SCHOOLS and LONE SOLOISTS, or whatever- was to PROVE to Carlos Castaneda that there was NO ONE ELSE ON EARTH at THEIR Level of Spirituality.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT YAHSHUA IS THE CHRIST, BECAUSE YOU READ IT IN THE BIBLE?

Or is it because SOMEONE PREACHED it to you?

If so, THAT BELIEF IS MEANINGLESS!

Only the REVELATION DIRECTLY FROM GOD has any VALUE.

That is DECEPTION, right there! ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THE GOSPEL IN ANY DEPTH KNOWS THAT STORY.

YOU cannot say you didn't know it. Therefore you were deliberately trying to DECEIVE us in HIDING the TRUTH
Yawn !! Don Juan Matus was a fictional character created by sex MANIAC Carlos Castaneda for His novel on NAGUALISM, that's why he could not find anyone on his fictional spiritual level.

Why do you even use this fiction in your argument pastor Bronchitis ? We all know by now that prof.Richard De Mille and others have exposed your master Carlos Castaneda as a fraud who also preached celibacy while he screwed all the girls in His CULT.

It gets even worse, your other spiritual master L.Ron Hubbard has sexual orgies inside his church using his CHURCH girls with his son in attendance.

Are you not the one here that is deliberately hiding the truth and not the person you are accusing ?
Re: Spirit Lives by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2017
oaroloye:

Is that YOUR Folly, then?

Armchair Philosophers wax so poetical about "LOVE," until someone shows up they should use it on.

Then we see whether they have Foundations of Rock that cannot be removed, or Foundations of Sand- easily blown away.

NAGUALISM Teaches that catering to people we do not like, in the Physical Realm (pinches tiranotos- the Petty Tyrant,) is Basic Training for navigating the Spiritual Realm.

That is, at this rate, if you enter into a Spiritual Encounter, and something like ME can make your gaskets blow, you can just get yourself destroyed out-of-hand.

Very funny. Rather an armchair philosopher than an armchair Operating Thetan peddling secondary schoolboy science fiction novels as the Holy Grail. If you think that was me previously blowing a gasket then wait until you really get to know me!
Anyways, I take your point about showing Love, so I leave matters as they are, all I am saying is move along and don’t f#ck with me.
Re: Spirit Lives by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Sarassin, there is something in that post causing the hiding and ban
When the post is mentioned, it triggers hiding the post and banning the poster
After your ban expires, just post your response without doing a mentioning of the post
else you get the same treatment all over again

Sarassin
1 . The nice, quite sweet and knowledgeable guy
2 . The funny, crazy and great sense of humour guy.
3 . The until you piss him off you never want to see, until he's done with you side guy

Yup, I incurred a ban for what I don't know, but it probably came at the right time. Hopefully we can get back to meaningful discussions.
Re: Spirit Lives by MuttleyLaff: 4:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
Sarassin:
Yup, I incurred a ban for what I don't know, but it probably came at the right time.
Hopefully we can get back to meaningful discussions.
a ban for what I don't know? I suspect the ban had to do with referencing the post with the primate with tail mentioned in it,
I got banned too and the only thing after reviewing my post pointed out the primate with tail as the likely cause

Spambot is very tetchy and easily gets peeved off

You're lucky that it didnt snare you again, for using the F word, for maximum and positive effect, when you warned, by saying:
all I saying is move along and dont mess with me,
Re: Spirit Lives by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Sarassin, there is something in that post causing the hiding and ban
When the post is mentioned, it triggers hiding the post and banning the poster
After your ban expires, just post your response without doing a mentioning of the post

So, responding to your post of 7.30 am 13/08 Just out of curiosity is 'three dimensional characterisation' grandiloquence for pious story telling? How could Luke amongst other things have missed the massacre of the innocents? Perhaps the massacre Matthew reported did not in fact happen as recorded by him, historically no such event is recorded, the closest we come to such an account in history is that of the murderous Herod, murdering members of his own family (Josephus antiquities) I believe it quite possible that it was the story of Herod's exploits against his own family that metamorphosed over time into Matthew's account.

Questions remain to be answered, how come Luke has the Baby Jesus being presented within 40 days of his birth at the temple, at the precise timeline that Matthew has the family busy evading Herod and escaping post-haste to Egypt ? The one says the baby was worshipped by Magi the other says by Shepherds, Is it the case that the baby Jesus received visits from both the Magi as well as the Shepherds? You have to admit that the accounts are incompatible.

I am much more inclined to go with the account of Mark (being the earliest), I think Jesus of Nazareth turned up at the banks of the Jordan in the presence of John the Baptist out of nowhere.
Re: Spirit Lives by ScienceWatch: 11:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
oaroloye:
MISHIGAS!

I never said I didn't want the people of Idanre to think me stupid.

They already told me I was stupid for adhering to The Gospel, as a BORN AGAIN PENTECOSTAL Christian, in degiance of Anglicsn Tradition, despite my father their king terminating my University Education because of it.

First of all, WHO ARE YOU?

What are your QUALIFICATIONS for saying all this?
So are you saying Idanre thinks you are stupid because of your crazy mixing of the Holy scriptures with Satanic Nagualism and Criminal Scientology ? They should give you a break, you are so close to creating your own hybrid Christianity that the world has never ever seen before. You have successfully defied your father the king, you have defied the Anglican traditions, now you must defy reason and brew a high tech hybrid mixture of ancient Christianity and modern hallucinogenic drug-induced fictional doctrines.

Oh, you surprise me. No one has ever asked me, "WHO ARE YOU ?" or "WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS ?"

My ,My. Question need answers hey.

To answer your first Question - I am the one reading your post.
To answer the second one - I can almost understand your post.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Re: Spirit Lives by Eazybay(m): 11:14am On Aug 16, 2017
Sarassin:

So, responding to your post of 7.30 am 13/08 Just out of curiosity is 'three dimensional characterisation' grandiloquence for pious story telling? How could Luke amongst other things have missed the massacre of the innocents? Perhaps the massacre Matthew reported did not in fact happen as recorded by him, historically no such event is recorded, the closest we come to such an account in history is that of the murderous Herod, murdering members of his own family (Josephus antiquities) I believe it quite possible that it was the story of Herod's exploits against his own family that metamorphosed over time into Matthew's account.

Questions remain to be answered, how come Luke has the Baby Jesus being presented within 40 days of his birth at the temple, at the precise timeline that Matthew has the family busy evading Herod and escaping post-haste to Egypt ? The one says the baby was worshipped by Magi the other says by Shepherds, Is it the case that the baby Jesus received visits from both the Magi as well as the Shepherds? You have to admit that the accounts are incompatible.

I am much more inclined to go with the account of Mark (being the earliest), I think Jesus of Nazareth turned up at the banks of the Jordan in the presence of John the Baptist out of nowhere.

Sarassin! Like you do have a way with words. That alternate stuff, I would still love to know more. It's just funny, if I expect sth to happen, I visualize and all that, Trust me it almost NEVER happens. Now this is the funny part, if I visualize the exact opposite, what I want HAPPENS! Like even when it's obvious I tweaked it. For example, if I want a place to be full, I just visualize it as empty, even when innately I want it full.

Please since you cannot discuss it openly, can I send u a PM? I really need answers..
Re: Spirit Lives by calculator123(m): 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2017
Igerizee:
I had an OBE early dis morninq 4 d first afta trying 4 months, I was hearing a rushing sound like a rain in ma head or somtin, left ma body but came bak 2 ma body cos I got frightened... Just Curious, Where am i going to and who am i going 2 meet wen i xperience it next time?? cos I wanna try 2maro early morning again... Cc sarassin Billyonaire 5Dmindset
Re: Spirit Lives by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 16, 2017
Eazybay:

Sarassin! Like you do have a way with words. That alternate stuff, I would still love to know more. It's just funny, if I expect sth to happen, I visualize and all that, Trust me it almost NEVER happens. Now this is the funny part, if I visualize the exact opposite, what I want HAPPENS! Like even when it's obvious I tweaked it. For example, if I want a place to be full, I just visualize it as empty, even when innately I want it full.

Please since you cannot discuss it openly, can I send u a PM? I really need answers..
Definitely.
Re: Spirit Lives by Eazybay(m): 5:31pm On Aug 16, 2017
Sarassin:

Definitely.

Sent u a pm
Re: Spirit Lives by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 16, 2017
Eazybay:

Sent u a pm

Replied.
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
Without any sources for your claims there is no argument.

You say Daniel served under Cyrus. Where did you get this notion? I'm not aware of any text that supports this. Not even the bible.

The book of Daniel says that the king of Nabylon made Daniel leader of the Magi (wise men), but obviously the Magi in this case doesn't refer to Persian Zoroastrian priests. So there we have one example of the word magoi used to refer to wise men other than Zoroastrian priests. In fact the word is also used to refer to a Jewish sorcerer in Acts 13:6

The book of Daniel was only accurate up to the point it was written. All prophecies thereafter failed. That's how scholars know when it was written.

MuttleyLaff:

How can anyone forget that thread
Brilliant thread not to forget in a hurry
Being meaning to give it a re-visit asap

That, right there, is the clue.
The rule of thumb, is to always check, double check and cross check with each and all available translations out there, augmented with other credible and reliable great literary resources
and not be relying or depending on just one translation

and rightly so, as no one presumes Daniel to be a Zoroastrian
Daniel is a Magi and not a Zoroastrian

There isnt anything creepy in appropriating or trying to appropriate any or whatever religion, considering that, the adherents of the religion(s) accepts, admits the existence of Jesus and truth of about Him.

Avestan Religion? Isnt that a Freudian slip?
Why be vague, which Avestan Religion are you referring to?
Isn't Avestan a language originating from Persia?

The person you actually was addressing and Sarassin suffer each other gladly.
This is why both, air their divergent interpretations without rancour

Now, the person you actually was addressing didnt make such move in any previous thread.
Part of what I recall the person said, is that there's nothing wrong in ''borrowing'' and/or ''importing''
Also made another point, that the irony is that, the Magi must be privy to some sacred truth & knowledge for them to have journeyed and come to Bethlehem to worship God

The last sentence, that the Magi must be privy to some sacred truth & knowledge, is true because Daniel served in at least two Kings', Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus; courts.
You seem to know this, as you've already accepted, by stating that, in the Book of Daniel, Daniel is called the leader of the Magi in Babylon
The Magi's source is strongly and likely from Daniel's sacred truth books & knowledge writings
and remotely from another's prophet; Balaam's Numbers 24:16-17 prophecy

Creepy attempt to legitimise Christianity?
Besides, the truth that christian (i.e. precursor to Christianity) is a contemptuous term, as good as the word, nigger, is,
why would anyone with the right sense be interested in re-legitimising a Roman invention state religion Christianity?
Also, no attempt or need to hitch Christianity onto Zoroastrianism
because fyi, the life of the chap, prophet Zarathushtra, known to the Greeks as Zoroaster, is based heavily on the life of Daniel.
What is Zoroastrianism named after sef?

The need for the Syriac Infancy Gospel is unneccesary because that prophecy was, in the Old Testament actually made by Daniel
Recall from above, that, the character Zoroaster is based heavily on the life of Daniel

He does make some noticeable and interesting points
but really needs to be tidying up his posts and/or improve his posting skills

He isnt guilty of extended verbosity at all
but rather is guilty of the misuse and abuse of carriage returns
Allowing next words, typed in his sentences, appearing dropped down on new lines, done unchecked or uncontrolled
is causing the passive white spaces expanse on the right hand-side margin
and contributing to the post becoming excessive in size or amount
It's not only torture to read but its painful, extensively scrolling down wasteful spaces on the right, to read post appearing on a left side margin only
Re: Spirit Lives by BlueAngel444: 4:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3992671/tithing-truth-history-origin-catholic

What gospel do you preach/ teach or even listen to. Is it Spirit inspired or man inspired
Re: Spirit Lives by MuttleyLaff: 12:19am On Aug 18, 2017
PastorAIO:
Without any sources for your claims there is no argument
Of course, no argument because they are incontrovertible

PastorAIO:
You say Daniel served under Cyrus.
Yes, he served King Cyrus
and you heard right, the first time

PastorAIO:
Where did you get this notion?
The bible to start with

PastorAIO:
I'm not aware of any text that supports this
You don't say?
Oh wow! Why am I not surprised.
Not a first time and certainly wont be the last of reading ''I'm not aware of any...''

PastorAIO:
Not even the bible
Ow! You're hurting me!
SMH facepalm!

PastorAIO:
The book of Daniel says that the king of Babylon made Daniel leader of the Magi (wise men),
but obviously the Magi in this case doesn't refer to Persian Zoroastrian priests
Exactly
and for sake of budding ''Bereans'', Daniel, as, chief of the Magi, can be found in Daniel 4:9 and Daniel 5:11
Same or similar title, (i.e. Rab-mag) used for someone else, can as well, be found at Jeremiah 39:3 and Jeremiah 39:13

Now, if you re-read well my earlier post, you'll see where I typed:
No one presumes Daniel to be a Zoroastrian

PastorAIO:
So there we have one example of the word magoi used to refer to wise men other than Zoroastrian priests.
I'll from my previous post, repeat here, once more
What and/or who, is Zoroastrianism named after sef?

PastorAIO:
In fact the word is also used to refer to a Jewish sorcerer in Acts 13:6
So?
Dont other occupational titles have their own fair share of the good, the bad and the ugly?

Magi arent necessarily sorcerers/shamans
Historically, they're powerful, intelligent, skilful, learned and shrewd sages, well versed in science of astronomy/astrology, mysticism and/or occult sciences
and their skills or strong abilities, singly, combinedly or selectively chosen, range from being astrologer-priests, magicians, physicians, prophesiers/diviners/psychics/seers/fortune-tellers/soothsayers/augurs, interpreters of dreams etcetera

Acts 13:6 shows where and how degenerated the word, magi has become,
that its turned into being used for anyone, that's full of all kinds of deceit and trickery
or full of distorting the truth about the way God wants us to live.

Considering the circumstances, being sorcerers/shamans is a latter add-on to the Magi's repertoire

PastorAIO:
The book of Daniel was only accurate up to the point it was written.
All prophecies thereafter failed. That's how scholars know when it was written
All prophecies thereafter failed? That's fiddlesticks and you know it.
Why dont you just pull the other leg, its got bells on it
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Of course, no argument because they are incontrovertible

Yes, he served King Cyrus
and you heard right, the first time

The bible to start with

Without you presenting an argument to support any of this then there is nothing for me to respond to.

You don't say?
Oh wow! Why am I not surprised.
Not a first time and certainly wont be the last of reading ''I'm not aware of any...''
I

Unlike some people I know I am well aware of the limits of my knowledge and I try to conduct myself accordingly. Yoruba teaches us that:
Ologbon kan ko le ta koko omi l'eti aso
Moran moran kan o le mo oye eepe ile.
No one is wise enough to know how to tie a knot of water on the fringe of their cloth
No one knows enough to know the number of grains of sand on the earth.

So I try to practice continence when I speak. Furthermore I believe that is is a mark of the spirit agency that guide a person. The person that talks arrogantly and boasts and cajoles does so actually because it is a spirit of arrogance that inspires his speech.

Ow! You're hurting me!
SMH facepalm!

I haven't touched you sir. But I'm willing to bet that if you stop slapping your face with your palm your hurt will stop. meanwhile, Pele.

Now, if you re-read well my earlier post, you'll see where I typed:
No one presumes Daniel to be a Zoroastrian

I stress the point that a Magi is not necessarily a zoroastrian priest because I am aware of attempts by many to try to hinge christianity unto zoroastrianism to gain legitimacy. You have tried to pull the same move yourself. Precisely here:
https://www.nairaland.com/3753404/hebrew-monotheistic-belief-product-religious/1#56168676

You said this:
The irony is that Magi must be privy to some sacred truth & knowledge for them to have journeyed and come to Bethlehem to worship God

in response to this:
Judaism is a derivation of Avesta mixed in with the Hebrew religion that they had before the exile to Babylon.

Of course it is only a testament to the high regard that the priests of Avestan religion had all over the world that the word for 'wise man' in many languages became Magi.

I'll from my previous post, repeat here, once more
What and/or who, is Zoroastrianism named after sef?

How is this relevant to anything that is being discussed?

I know it? What I know will follow in my next post.
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 5:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

How do scholars know when the Book of Daniel was written? i.e circa 165-167bce

Well if you read the final two chapters of Daniel which is a summary and explication of all the visions you will see that it matches actual historical events up till verse 40.

The king of the North is Antiochus IV Epiphanes. The King of the South is Ptolemy. The chapter starts talking about Antiochus IV at verse21.

I don't have time to outline all the details but Daniel 11 talks about 3 invasions of Egypt by Antiochus. The first one is recorded in history where he defeated Ptolemy. This is recorded in verse 25.

In the second invasion Ptolemy ran to Rome for help and the Romans (Kittim) intervened and Antiochus was disgraced. This is recorded in verse29 andverse30. The subsequent verses talk about the events that are also recorded in the book of Maccabees.

verse 42 then talks about him overcoming egypt and not only egypt but Libya and cush too. Well.... whether or not he planned to do so we don't know but what we do know is that he died shortly after and never overcame egypt not to mention libya or cush or anywhere in africa.

42He shall stretch out his hand against the countries, and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 43He shall become ruler of the treasures of gold and of silver, and all the precious things of Egypt, and the Libyans and the Cushites shall follow in his train

Ruler of treasures of gold and silver ko, gold and silver ni.

So it is obvious to anyone reading the book that the writer was describing contemporary events and then at the tail end attempted to predict the outcome at which point he failed miserably.

Besides, if the book of Daniel existed before the 2nd century bce then how comes it was not included in the Jewish canon of prophets that was established in the 2nd century bce?
Re: Spirit Lives by MuttleyLaff: 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2017
PastorAIO:
Without you presenting an argument to support any of this then there is nothing for me to respond to
So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and the reign of Cyrus the Persian
- Daniel 6:28

Typical isn't it, not one to shy from trying to take advantage of the "Get out of jail" free card
You just can't win some, you provide bible references and they moan that they don't believe in the bible. Then you stop being forward with Bible references and they throw a strop that you dont back up remarks with Bible references

PastorAIO:
I unlike some people I know I am well aware of the limits of my knowledge and I try to conduct myself accordingly. Yoruba teaches us that:
Ologbon kan ko le ta koko omi l'eti aso
Moran moran kan o le mo oye eepe ile.
No one is wise enough to know how to tie a knot of water on the fringe of their cloth
No one knows enough to know the number of grains of sand on the earth
You will leave long to have other opportunites to share another

PastorAIO:
So I try to practice continence when I speak. Furthermore I believe that is is a mark of the spirit agency that guide a person. The person that talks arrogantly and boasts and cajoles does so actually because it is a spirit of arrogance that inspires his speech
Arrogance, boasting and cajoling tut tut tut. Three evils you want nothing to do with

PastorAIO:
I haven't touched you sir. But I'm willing to bet that if you stop slapping your face with your palm your hurt will stop. meanwhile, Pele.
It's alright, thanks
It was a low belt punch, when you confidently alleged it isn't in the Bible that Daniel served King Cyrus.
Well you’ve now seen Daniel 6:28 above.
There is also Daniel 10:1 that is another bible reference to the fact.

PastorAIO:
I stress the point that a Magi is not necessarily a zoroastrian priest because I am aware of attempts by many to try to hinge christianity unto zoroastrianism to gain legitimacy. You have tried to pull the same move yourself. Precisely here:
https://www.nairaland.com/3753404/hebrew-monotheistic-belief-product-religious/1#56168676

You said this:
The irony is that Magi must be privy to some sacred truth & knowledge for them to have journeyed and come to Bethlehem to worship God
in response to this:
Judaism is a derivation of Avesta mixed in with the Hebrew religion that they had before the exile to Babylon
As it's usually said, between Yoruba elders, "e ku aigbagbe"
To try to hinge christianity unto zoroastrianism to gain legitimacy wasn't even within my sight nor in my radar
You've heard me post numerous times that I am not into the Christianity or Hindusm, Islam or Pentecostalism/Penterascalism etcetera jazz

Recall, it is the Magi coming to find Jesus and to worship Him that prompted my
"The irony is that Magi must be privy to some sacred truth & knowledge for them to have journeyed and come to Bethlehem to worship God" remark

You should have asked where and who is the source of the supposedly sacred truth and knowledge from.

PastorAIO:
Of course it is only a testament to the high regard that the priests of Avestan religion had all over the world that the word for 'wise man' in many languages became Magi
I had already remarked that there isn't anything wrong in "borrowing" or "importing"

PastorAIO:
How is this relevant to anything that is being discussed?
Just answer the question, answer the question to see the relevance.
So repeating, again what and/or who, is Zoroastrianism named after sef?

PastorAIO:
I know it? What I know will follow in my next post.
What followed in your next post was totally off target.

The Yoruba have a saying that goes like thus:
"ibi pelebe lanti mu ole je"
loosely means:
"you take your spoonful from the nearest place of the food plate "
In the spirit of that saying, we don't have to go to the last 2 chapters of Daniel (i.e. chapters 11 and 12) when closer home, in Daniel chapter 9, is the fulfilled Messianic prophecy, that can't be denied
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 11:57pm On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and the reign of Cyrus the Persian

I knew this was what you were going to come with. Please tell us then. What is the line of successions of Persian Kings? Since you are so knowledgeable.

Who was the King that conquered Babylon? And where did any King Darius fit into this?
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 12:08am On Aug 21, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

In the spirit of that saying, we don't have to go to the last 2 chapters of Daniel (i.e. chapters 11 and 12) when closer home, in Daniel chapter 9, is the fulfilled Messianic prophecy, that can't be denied

Please expound on it. As I shall expound on the rest of my chapter 11 and 12 as I promised I would over the next couple of days.
Re: Spirit Lives by MuttleyLaff: 12:10am On Aug 21, 2017
PastorAIO:
I knew this was what you were going to come with. Please tell us then. What is the line of successions of Persian Kings? Since you are so knowledgeable.

Who was the King that conquered Babylon? And where did any King Darius fit into this?
Daniel remained in the royal service until the first year of the reign of King Cyrus
- Daniel 1:26

You didn't know diddly-squat what I was going to come up with.

Whose else, if not Cyrus.
Bet you want to say, you don't know that, Cyrus is Darius. Bet you want to say, you don't know that Darius is a title
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 1:42pm On Aug 23, 2017
Now, I said I would go into details of why the Book of Daniel was written in the 2nd century and not by anybody called Daniel in the 6thcentury.

Of all the prophetic passages in all the bible there is none as detailed as chapter 11 and it is amazing how the details so accurately match the events of the 2nd century. However there is something curious about it. As you start to move away from the 2nd century bce circa 165bce in either direction it starts becoming less detailed and also it also starts becomingjmore erroneous.

Once you notice that you will realise that the book of Daniel was written by someone in the 2nd century that was well acquainted with contemporary events however he was quite poor in his knowledge of history and quite a failure in his ability to predict future events.

1“And as for me, in the first year of Darius the Mede, I stood up to confirm and strengthen him.

In this first verse the writer betrays his ignorance of history. The first Persian king called Darius was Darius I, also known as Darius the Great. I hope you can notice that Darius cannot be a title because the title given to him was 'the great'. The Darius part was just his name. Further more you can notice that he is called 'the first' which means that there was no other Darius before him and the first Darius ruled from 550bce to 486bce. So he cannot have been a contemporary of any biblical Daniel.

I will leave to one side the fact that this verse calls Darius a Mede while Cyrus was a Persian who conquered the Medes and forged a powerful state by joining the resources of the 2.

2“And now I will show you the truth. Behold, three more kings shall arise in Persia, and a fourth shall be far richer than all of them. And when he has become strong through his riches, he shall stir up all against the kingdom of Greece.

Okay I believe every bible scholar in the world agrees that this is a reference to the Kings that follow Cyrus the Great. The fourth in the line of succession was Xerxes who decided to invade Greece. We all know that story because that is where we got the Marathon running from. When he invaded Greece a man ran from a town called Marathon for 26miles to Athens to warn them that the Persians were coming. He was so exhausted when he arrived that as soon as he delivered his message he collapsed and died and till today we still run Marathons in his honour.

3Then a mighty king shall arise, who shall rule with great dominion and do as he wills. 4And as soon as he has arisen, his kingdom shall be broken and divided toward the four winds of heaven, but not to his posterity, nor according to the authority with which he ruled, for his kingdom shall be plucked up and go to others besides these.

Every bible scholar knows that this is a reference to Alexander the Great. He rose from greece and conquered Persia. And here again the writer of Daniel betrays a faulty knowledge of history. Alexander never had any children. So he made a mistake to say that his descendants didn't inherit his kingdom. Alexander had no descendants. Rather the Empire was divided into 4 parts by his Generals.

5“Then the king of the south shall be strong, but one of his princes shall be stronger than he and shall rule, and his authority shall be a great authority. 6After some years they shall make an alliance, and the daughter of the king of the south shall come to the king of the north to make an agreement. But she shall not retain the strength of her arm, and he and his arm shall not endure, but she shall be given up, and her attendants, he who fathered her, and he who supported her in those times.

At this point as we are getting more and more closer to the period contemporary.with the writer and he's got more details and is more accurate. Indeed, in order to forge an alliance between the southern kingdom (i.e Egypt ruled by the Ptolemies) and the Northern Kingdom ( i.e. Syria, ruled by the Seleucids, and in fact Seleucas served under Ptolemy as one of his 'princes' before eventually getting himself his own northern kingdom of Syria which was eventually stronger than egypt) the King of the South, Ptolemy II sent his daughter Berenice to Marry Antiochus II.

(Please let us not try to get confused because in these families they have a tendency to keep the same names from generation to generation. So a King Antiochus would name his son either Antiochus or Seleucas, who will in turn name his sons, either Antiochus or Seleucas and on and on generation after generation so you will have Antiochus I, the II, the III, the IV or Seleucas I, II, III, IV etc. The same thing with the Ptolemies. Daniel doesn't really distinguish between them but calls them all either the king in the North or the King in the South.)

So anyway, by this time the North and the South were constantly fighting in what is now known in history as the Syrian wars. I think there were about 6 or 7 Syrian wars which were basically Border disputes between the two kingdoms. Unfortunately for the Jews the borders that they were disputing over ran right through Palestine, and that is why these historical issues have been so important for the bible and for Daniel.

Ptolemy hoped the marriage would bring peace. Unfortunately though, Antiochus II was already married and had to dismiss his first wife in order to marry Berenice, yet his first wife was not the kind of woman to be dismissed so easily. In the end she contrived to kill off Berenice, Antiochus II and all their allies and supporters.

It is amazing the way these 'prophecies' are so historically accurate to such an amazing level of details.

7 “One from her family line will arise to take her place. He will attack the forces of the king of the North and enter his fortress; he will fight against them and be victorious. 8 He will also seize their gods, their metal images and their valuable articles of silver and gold and carry them off to Egypt. For some years he will leave the king of the North alone. 9 Then the king of the North will invade the realm of the king of the South but will retreat to his own country. 10 His sons will prepare for war and assemble a great army, which will sweep on like an irresistible flood and carry the battle as far as his fortress.

The detailed accuracy continues because Berenice's brother Ptolemy III decided to avenge her death by invading the North. This is the 3rd Syrian War in which the Ptolemies were victorious over Seleucas II. Everything happened exactly as Daniel 'predicted' it. Seleucas II had 2 sons,called Seleucas III and Antiochus III who indeed gathered a great army and invaded Egypt once again. Seleucas III didn't survive but Antiochus III defeated Egypt.

11 “Then the king of the South will march out in a rage and fight against the king of the North, who will raise a large army, but it will be defeated. 12 When the army is carried off, the king of the South will be filled with pride and will slaughter many thousands, yet he will not remain triumphant. 13 For the king of the North will muster another army, larger than the first; and after several years, he will advance with a huge army fully equipped.

If you follow the Syrian Wars you will see that all these things are accurately fulfilled.
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 1:43pm On Aug 23, 2017
14 “In those times many will rise against the king of the South. Those who are violent among your own people will rebel in fulfillment of the vision, but without success. 15 Then the king of the North will come and build up siege ramps and will capture a fortified city. The forces of the South will be powerless to resist; even their best troops will not have the strength to stand. 16 The invader will do as he pleases; no one will be able to stand against him. He will establish himself in the Beautiful Land and will have the power to destroy it.

This too will be seen to accurately depict the 5th Syrian War between Antiochus III and the child king Ptolemy V of Egypt. In this war Antiochus III managed to annex Palestine, and so from that point on the Jews were under the rule of the King of the North (syria) and no longer Egypt, King of the South.

17 He will determine to come with the might of his entire kingdom and will make an alliance with the king of the South. And he will give him a daughter in marriage in order to overthrow the kingdom, but his plans[c] will not succeed or help him. 18 Then he will turn his attention to the coastlandsand will take many of them, but a commander will put an end to his insolence and will turn his insolence back on him.19 After this, he will turn back toward the fortresses of his own country but will stumble and fall, to be seen no more.

every accurately again we see that Daniel 'predicts' that they will try the marriage route again to find peace. And indeed Antiochus attempts to settle everything by giving his daughter Cleopatra I to Ptolemy V a wife. However it backfired because history tells us that his own daughter did nothing to appease her husband. (maybe she really fell in love with Ptolemy V).
His plan was to get his daughter to distract Ptolemy while he invaded Anatolia (Called the coastlands in this passage, today it is Turkey). Unfortunately for him, Rome, which was just emerging as a world power at the time also had interests in Anatolia. Thus commenced the Syro-Roman war in which Roman totally defeated and disgraced Antiochus III. This was probably the war that put the fear of Rome in everyone's hearts. Rome was the commander that 'turned his insolence back upon himself'. Rome not only totally disgraced him but punished his insolence by telling him that from henceforth he must pay tribute to Rome for a term as the price of his insolence. Plus, Rome took his second son Antiochus IV as a hostage in case he decides to misbehave.

Antiochus III returned home and died soon after.

20 “His successor will send out a tax collector to maintain the royal splendor. In a few years, however, he will be destroyed, yet not in anger or in battle.

The successor of Antiochus III was Seleucas IV. And he was known for exacting heavy taxes on all his people (including the poor Jews who he ruled). It wasn't his fault. Remember that he was still paying heavy war indemnities to Rome. So the taxes were not really to maintain any Royal Splendour, but simply his keep up with his payments.

21 “He will be succeeded by a contemptible person who has not been given the honor of royalty. He will invade the kingdom when its people feel secure, and he will seize it through intrigue. 22 Then an overwhelming army will be swept away before him; both it and a prince of the covenant will be destroyed. 23 After coming to an agreement with him, he will act deceitfully, and with only a few people he will rise to power. 24 When the richest provinces feel secure, he will invade them and will achieve what neither his fathers nor his forefathers did. He will distribute plunder, loot and wealth among his followers. He will plot the overthrow of fortresses—but only for a time.

This is the real Gbengben!! part. Antiochus IV. Remember that he was the hostage in Rome that his father, Antiochus III had to send. He was the second son, so not even really supposed to be the next in succesion. His brother seleucas IV had a son but the son was still a baby. So by exercising a considerable amount of wuruwuru Antiochus first pretended that he was only going to be a caretaker of the throne for his nephew. That is why the passage says that he takes the throne with intrigue. Antiochus IV was a real Maradona of politics in the 2nd century. It is his reign that is described in the book of Maccabees when the Jew revolted against him.

He was an expert at using gifts and bribes to pacify people. And it was he who deposed the High Priest of the Jewish Temple. What happened was the High Priest's brother came to him and told him that if he could depose the High priest and install him instead he would make sure that he would extract more money out of the Jews for him. Antiochus thought that was a good idea and did his bidding. The High Priest didn't mind too much because it was his blood brother, also a descendant of Aaron. However another guy felt he had a better idea and went to Antiochus and told him that if he would get rid of the new High Priest he would help him extract even MORE money from the Jews. Antiochus thought it was a good idea again. But the problem this time is that this 3rd dude was not even from the priestly family. He wasn't a direct descendant of Aaron and that is when the Jews exploded.

25 “With a large army he will stir up his strength and courage against the king of the South. The king of the South will wage war with a large and very powerful army, but he will not be able to stand because of the plots devised against him. 26 Those who eat from the king’s provisions will try to destroy him; his army will be swept away, and many will fall in battle. 27 The two kings, with their hearts bent on evil, will sit at the same table and lie to each other, but to no avail, because an end will still come at the appointed time. 28 The king of the North will return to his own country with great wealth, but his heart will be set against the holy covenant. He will take action against it and then return to his own country.

29 “At the appointed time he will invade the South again, but this time the outcome will be different from what it was before. 30 Ships of the western coastlands will oppose him, and he will lose heart. Then he will turn back and vent his fury against the holy covenant. He will return and show favor to those who forsake the holy covenant.

This passage refers to the 6th Syrian war where Antiochus IV invades Egypt again. He wins this war. On his way back from Egypt he passes through Jerusalem and decides to compassionately relieve the temple of all its Gold and Silver. This event is also described in some detail in 1 Maccabees.

Antiochus Attacks Egypt

16 When Antiochus had firmly established himself as king, he decided to conquer Egypt and rule that country as well as Syria.17 He invaded Egypt with a large fleet of ships and a powerful army, including chariots, elephants, and cavalry. 18 When the attack came, King Ptolemy of Egypt turned and fled, and many of his soldiers were killed. 19 Antiochus was able to capture the fortified cities of Egypt and plunder the whole land.

Antiochus Persecutes the Jews

20 In the year 143,[c] after the conquest of Egypt, Antiochus marched with a great army against the land of Israel and the city of Jerusalem. 21 In his arrogance, he entered the Temple and took away the gold altar, the lampstand with all its equipment, 22 the table for the bread offered to the Lord, the cups and bowls, the gold fire pans, the curtain, and the crowns. He also stripped all the gold from the front of the Temple 23 and carried off the silver and gold and everything else of value, including all the treasures that he could find stored there. 24 Then he took it all to his own country. He had also murdered many people and boasted arrogantly about it. 25 There was great mourning everywhere in the land of Israel.

1 Maccabees 1
Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2017
After this Antiochus decided to attack Egypt again as verse 29 depicts. Only this time he was in for a rude shock. Ptolemy ran to Rome for help. Rome wasn't yet the empire that it would eventually become but it was expanding and People were all aware of it's growing power. The Roman Senate didn't even bother to send a general to help Egypt, they just sent a Senator (a civilian) with a small force of soldiers to go and have a word with Antiochus. Rome, called Kittim in Daniel, arrived in Egypt and the Senator went to have a chat with Antiochus. 'why are you guys fighting na, it's not good. Go home. Sebi you know that egypt is like our junior brother and doesn't deserve to be bullied like this. Go home, chill, pele.'

In the meeting that is very famous in history now, Antiochus tried to do some delay tactics like, ' okay, give me a couple of days to think about it'.

The Senator told him, ' Ol boy, I don't think you understand me'. He then took a stick and started drawing a line in the line. He traced the line in a circle around Antiochus and then said, 'Mister Man, if you step out of this circle without giving me the answer that I want to hear then you have just declared War against Rome'.

Antiochus was humiliated in front of all his soldiers. Shamefully he packed his bags and ran, him and all his mighty army. The international disgrace was too much and he took out his frustration on Israel again. This time with the intention of totally destroying Judaism.

31Forces from him shall appear and profane the temple and fortress, and shall take away the regular burnt offering. And they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.

He made it illegal to perform the daily sacrifices in the temple. Again Daniel is incredibly accurate. He ordered that pigs be sacrificed on the altar and an idol of Zeus should be set up for worship (the abomination of desolation). The priesthood would serve zeus now. No circumcision, no sabbath observance etc.

All these facts are well documented in Maccabees again.

36“And the king shall do as he wills. He shall exalt himself and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak astonishing things against the God of gods. He shall prosper till the indignation is accomplished; for what is decreed shall be done.

Though there is no historical account of Antiochus' religious views it would seem that his humiliation turned him into an Atheist. It seems that he did not only attack Judaism but all religion in general. Though there is hardly any historical evidence for this. Then Daniel goes on to say that he will join a new religion that his ancestors did not worship. It is from this point that the writer of Daniel starts to miss road. There is no evidence that Antiochus did any of this. Around this point is where he starts trying to make predictions, and he starts to fail.

40“At the time of the end, the king of the south shall attackg him, but the king of the north shall rush upon him like a whirlwind, with chariots and horsemen, and with many ships. And he shall come into countries and shall overflow and pass through. 41He shall come into the glorious land. And tens of thousands shall fall, but these shall be delivered out of his hand: Edom and Moab and the main part of the Ammonites. 42He shall stretch out his hand against the countries, and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 43He shall become ruler of the treasures of gold and of silver, and all the precious things of Egypt, and the Libyans and the Cushites shall follow in his train. 44But news from the east and the north shall alarm him, and he shall go out with great fury to destroy and devote many to destruction. 45And he shall pitch his palatial tents between the sea and the glorious holy mountain. Yet he shall come to his end, with none to help him.

As I've discussed previously none of the passage from verse 45-45 happened. The writer of Daniel's attempts at prognosis fail terribly.

This is how we know that the Book of Daniel was written in the middle of the 2nd century circa 167bce during the persecution of the Jews by Antiochus.

To further buttress this conclusion we find that The Jewish Canon of prophetic writing (the Nevi'im) which was fixed around 200bce did not include the book of Daniel. Why not? Obviously because Daniel was not in existence at the time.

It is obvious that the writer of Daniel anticipated this and so sought to explain it while writing the book.

He used that tried and trusted gimmick of saying that after having the revelations given to him Daniel was told to hide the book so that nobody would be aware of it until the last days.

4But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”

Daniel12: 4

Oh ho! so reason why no one had even heard about any book of Daniel was because the book was hidden and locked away until the End Times which obviously the writer believed was his lifetime. Today is more than 2000 years later....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 2:18pm On Aug 23, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

Typical isn't it, not one to shy from trying to take advantage of the "Get out of jail" free card
You just can't win some, you provide bible references and they moan that they don't believe in the bible. Then you stop being forward with Bible references and they throw a strop that you dont back up remarks with Bible references

Thank you for this verse which provides further evidence for my points. The first king of Persia called Darius called Darius I, also known as Darius the Great reigned from 550 to 486 bce. He was the first one so there could be no Darius that was contemporary with Daniel and Cyrus.

This is further evidence that the writer of Daniel had a very poor knowledge of history. He was conflating kings. And it is impossible to jive us that Cyrus and Darius are the same person because the writer of Daniel goes further to give us details of how Darius organised his empire.

He said:
1It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom 120satraps, to be throughout the whole kingdom; 2and over them three high officials, of whom Daniel was one, to whom these satraps should give account,

This is exactly what Darius I, whose reign started in 550bce, after Daniel was long gone, did. Darius the Great totally reorganised the structure of the Persian government. Where Cyrus had 20 Satrapies Darius increased them to 36. But nowhere in history did any Darius have 120 Satrapies.

Again, poor knowledge of history from the writer of Daniel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 10:41am On Aug 24, 2017
It is always interesting to watch biblian commentaries on Daniel 11. Especially when it comes to the failed prophecy part.

Mysteriously they jump from Antiochus IV to some future antichrist that is yet to come. Lol! Yet it is plainly obvious that it is Antiochus IV the passage is still talking about and the writer was talking about a very imminent future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5F64384Io8

1 Like

Re: Spirit Lives by PastorAIO: 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

Oga, here is another attempt by a biblian apologist trying to explain Why Daniel got it so wrong. Can you notice how they always jump from verse24 to projecting into the future. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwkThHYBXs

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Tb Joshua Banned In Cameroun / Pope Francis Relative Killed In A Car Crash / Maiduguri Sunday Explosions, Routine Equipment Testing – Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.