Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? (11117 Views)

Never Use Dishwashing Liquid To Wash Your Car / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by fabulousnize(m): 8:11am On Jan 10, 2017
Block water
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 10, 2017
lonelydora:

Thought you studied Metallurgy.

Ha! No o.

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Thobiy(m): 8:32am On Jan 10, 2017
nice tips
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Petrol is a solvent. It has a way of removing protective oils from parts. Diesel doesn't.

Besides, if anything goes wrong, petrol burns faster than diesel.
Chai..... you are very intelligent. I'd do anything to date an intelligent lady. Team brains over beauty. But your moniker though! lol
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by OCTAVO: 8:55am On Jan 10, 2017
I use soapy water.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 10, 2017
beatcoins:
Chai..... you are very intelligent. I'd do anything to date an intelligent lady. Team brains over beauty. But your moniker though! lol

Thank you. kiss

Biko free the moniker o, it's just a name. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by DukeNija(m): 9:01am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:
The engine compartment is not designed for a lot of water – you could be getting water into areas where it shouldn’t be and it can cause corrosion. Water could get into the alternator or the engine sensors, causing damage. It can also push dirt onto belts, thereby causing squeaks. If you’re really unfortunate, water could get into your engine through the induction system, from around the air cleaner. It’s unlikely, but you could force water into the cylinders and cause huge damage. Anything that gets wet should be dried, ideally with compressed air, and then by running the engine until everything dries out.

But to answer your question, washing the engine depends on if the engine itself is cold, warm or hot. Using warm or cool water on a hot engine could cool things too fast, stressing the metal and, potentially, causing cracks. So I'd advise you use lukewarm soapy water to wash your engine.

My dad taught me to use either petrol or diesel to wash my engine, though I prefer using diesel.

Wow. Impressive

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Thank you. kiss

Biko free the moniker o, it's just a name. grin
Stereotype. sorrry about that.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 10, 2017
obidevine:

Why don't you help out instead of talking thrash. If you can't help out then stfu.

Exactly!

He feels people are posting rubbish, yet he's taking his sweet time to read the "rubbish". But to contribute, mbanu.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 10, 2017
lonelydora:

I better drive a dirty engine than to have it washed whether hot or cold water.

Lol. Shuo! Why?

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 10, 2017
fewj:
Don't know so much but I see car engines being washed with a steam wash, any disadvantage?

The downside is that it might affect the different systems that are essential to a car’s functionality and longevity. If it's not properly done, steam cleaning can damage the electronic engine controls.

It could affect the ignition system of the vehicle. A car’s ignition system is composed of ignition coils, cables and the spark plugs. All these components are very sensitive to water. If these components get damaged during steam cleaning, wahala go dey o. Not to mention that you will need to spend money for replacing the system.

An automobile air intake system has three main parts: air filter, mass sensor flow (or something), and throttle body. This system is generally resistant to steam cleaning. However, improper use of high-pressure steam can disconnect ductwork. If this happens, water can get to the engine thereby affecting its performance.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by AnaCheks(m): 9:42am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:
The engine compartment is not designed for a lot of water – you could be getting water into areas where it shouldn’t be and it can cause corrosion. Water could get into the alternator or the engine sensors, causing damage. It can also push dirt onto belts, thereby causing squeaks. If you’re really unfortunate, water could get into your engine through the induction system, from around the air cleaner. It’s unlikely, but you could force water into the cylinders and cause huge damage. Anything that gets wet should be dried, ideally with compressed air, and then by running the engine until everything dries out.

But to answer your question, washing the engine depends on if the engine itself is cold, warm or hot. Using warm or cool water on a hot engine could cool things too fast, stressing the metal and, potentially, causing cracks. So I'd advise you use lukewarm soapy water to wash your engine.

My dad taught me to use either petrol or diesel to wash my engine, though I prefer using diesel.
I LOVE YOU BAE
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by ruggedadventure(m): 9:46am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

shocked shocked shocked

Will you marry me kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by shumuel(m): 9:52am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Petrol is a solvent. It has a way of removing protective oils from parts. Diesel doesn't.

Besides, if anything goes wrong, petrol burns faster than diesel.

Wow, just learnt something from you today,, never ever thought of diesel, i only knew of Petrol; even when cleaning the Generator, i guess from now its diesel grin

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by StoneLucifer: 9:55am On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

U are sound...Its intelligent people like u we need on dis forum not all these Biafra/Afonja/Aboki scallywags..

2 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by shumuel(m): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2017
ruggedadventure:

shocked shocked shocked

Will you marry me kiss kiss kiss

Na only you sabi better thing abi ? Thank God you added ''Will you'' and didn't go straight to the point grin
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 10, 2017
Just cleaning the easily reachable areas thoroughly with a clean damp cloth is the best option generally.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by nurusystem(m): 1:12pm On Jan 10, 2017
used any one but becarefull with part like,coil, plug wire,alternator,sencors,aircleaners as well.then after wash make you dry the engine before stating
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by DjAndroid: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

This explanation shows that this moniker is definitely not that of lady.

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
DjAndroid:

This explanation shows that this moniker is definitely not that of lady.

What a shallow way of reasoning. Because I may know a few things about cars, you've automatically assumed I'm a guy. Good luck with your mentality.

This is 2017. I won't take comments personally, especially when they're made by people that have no idea who I am.

Enjoy the rest of your day. smiley
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by DjAndroid: 1:51pm On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

What a shallow way of reasoning. Because I may know a few things about cars, you've automatically assumed I'm a guy. Good luck with your mentality.

This is 2017. I won't take comments personally, especially when they're made by people that have no idea who I am.

Enjoy the rest of your day. smiley

I didn't mean to insult you or doubt your personality. All I meant: rare ladies can do what you did in that explanation.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 10, 2017
DjAndroid:

I didn't mean to insult you or doubt your personality. All I meant: rare ladies can do what you did in that explanation.

What you've just explained is extremely different from what you posted, but it's alright. I'm quite used to getting those.

My dad usually says I should come back as a guy in my next life. Lol!

I love cars, I've had the interest since I was little - from the interior, to the exterior, to the engine. I've always tried to pay close attention and ask questions when Kazeem mechanics are working on my parents' cars. I'm still learning. We never stop learning. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by lonelydora: 2:11pm On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Lol. Shuo! Why?

I learnt my lessons back in he days when I was using Mercedes-Benz. Drove into a car wash, as a big boy ordered them to wash everything washable. After the whole thing, car refused to crank, and that was the beginning of the car's problem until I sold it off as scrap.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 10, 2017
grin
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
lonelydora:

I learnt my lessons back in he days when I was using Mercedes-Benz. Drove into a car wash, as a big boy ordered them to wash everything washable. After the whole thing, car refused to crank, and that was the beginning of the car's problem until I sold it off as scrap.

Chai!!! If na me, I will beat that boy's destiny. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by lonelydora: 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2017
MsDelilah:

Chai!!! If na me, I will beat that boy's destiny. angry angry
Lol
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by obidevine(m): 6:57pm On Jan 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll have to decline.

Foxtrot Oscar grin

Numbskull
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2017
obidevine:

Numbskull

Says the asshat that thinks cleaning an engine bay with any flammable material makes any lick of sense. No wonder your cars smell like shyte and burns like dry grass.

Bovine!

Hey wait, it rhymes with your username grin

PS: It's not my job to educate some of you dolts, it's not by force. I choose what threads and at what level of participation. If it bothers you then go and die or find an appendage to lick.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by obidevine(m): 8:57pm On Jan 10, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Says the asshat that thinks cleaning an engine bay with any flammable material makes any lick of sense. No wonder your cars smell like shyte and burns like dry grass.

Bovine!

Hey wait, it rhymes with your username grin

PS: It's not my job to educate some of you dolts, it's not by force. I chose what threads and at what level of participation. If it bothers you then go and die or find an appendage to lick.

Local ibadan mechanic. Who thinks typing loads of unnecessary grammer will make people change the way they perceive him, dude you local.

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 10, 2017
obidevine:

Local ibadan mechanic. Who thinks typing loads of unnecessary grammer will make people change the way they perceive him, dude you local.

Bovine grin

An uneducated one at that cheesy
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 10, 2017
Lol
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by diportivo: 9:37pm On Jan 10, 2017
obidevine:

You didn't actually mean the bolded right

As in,EgunMogaji has a mechanic stand under a tree somewhere in samonda in Ibadan?

grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-Volkswagen Boss, Ferdinand Piech, Dies At 82 / This Is How The Iconic Porsche 911 Got Its Name / 5 Common Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.