Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? (11118 Views)

Never Use Dishwashing Liquid To Wash Your Car / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 10, 2017
diportivo:

You didn't actually mean the bolded right

As in,EgunMogaji has a mechanic stand under a tree somewhere in samonda in Ibadan?

grin grin grin

Don't spoil the fun Man grin

I enjoy stringing them along and see them fluter and falter while they waste their data cheesy
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Originalsly: 10:05pm On Jan 10, 2017
I just don't get it....why do people want to wash the engine? I can understand doing that when trying to sell the car. ... but I learned somewhere along the line it is better to buy a car with a dirty engine. .... you would see if there are any leaks... but not with the washed engine.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by TUDEXautoCARE(m): 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
If you must wash the Engine. Steamwashing it with Hot water is the best.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
I just don't get it....why do people want to wash the engine? I can understand doing that when trying to sell the car. ... but I learned somewhere along the line it is better to buy a car with a dirty engine. .... you would see if there are any leaks... but not with the washed engine.

The opposite works better for me and my trusted fellow autoists.

If you keep a car externally dirty then it follows that you care not about the internals. A clean engine bay will also show leaking fluids.

I pretty much wash and detail the entire car, including the engine bay and trunk.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 12, 2017
MsDelilah:

The downside is that it might affect the different systems that are essential to a car’s functionality and longevity. If it's not properly done, steam cleaning can damage the electronic engine controls.

It could affect the ignition system of the vehicle. A car’s ignition system is composed of ignition coils, cables and the spark plugs. All these components are very sensitive to water. If these components get damaged during steam cleaning, wahala go dey o. Not to mention that you will need to spend money for replacing the system.

An automobile air intake system has three main parts: air filter, mass sensor flow (or something), and throttle body. This system is generally resistant to steam cleaning. However, improper use of high-pressure steam can disconnect ductwork. If this happens, water can get to the engine thereby affecting its performance.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:20am On Jan 12, 2017
MsDelilah:
The engine compartment is not designed for a lot of water – you could be getting water into areas where it shouldn’t be and it can cause corrosion. Water could get into the alternator or the engine sensors, causing damage. It can also push dirt onto belts, thereby causing squeaks. If you’re really unfortunate, water could get into your engine through the induction system, from around the air cleaner. It’s unlikely, but you could force water into the cylinders and cause huge damage. Anything that gets wet should be dried, ideally with compressed air, and then by running the engine until everything dries out.

But to answer your question, washing the engine depends on if the engine itself is cold, warm or hot. Using warm or cool water on a hot engine could cool things too fast, stressing the metal and, potentially, causing cracks. So I'd advise you use lukewarm soapy water to wash your engine.

My dad taught me to use either petrol or diesel to wash my engine, though I prefer using diesel.
Am sorry am asking this but did you study engineering in school.

*Update
You had already answered that in the previous comments. I was just so impressed after reading that comment that I thought I had to find out what you studied in school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 6:13am On Jan 12, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Am sorry am asking this but did you study engineering in school.

*Update
You had already answered that in the previous comments. I was just so impressed after reading that comment that I thought I had to find out what you studied in school.

Thanks. smiley

My dad keeps saying "it's not by gender. You need to learn most of these things so that men won't do shakara for you ô." Lol!

So, he made sure he taught me proper vehicle maintenance, and minor home repairs.

1 Like

Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:09am On Jan 12, 2017
MsDelilah:

Thanks. smiley

My dad keeps saying "it's not by gender. You need to learn most of these things so that men won't do shakara for you ô." Lol!

So, he made sure he taught me proper vehicle maintenance, and minor home repairs.
You must have been close to your dad. Most men I know won't even bother.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 12, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

You must have been close to your dad. Most men I know won't even bother.

I am o. We are very close.
Re: Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? by princetom1(m): 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2017
diportivo:

You didn't actually mean the bolded right

As in,EgunMogaji has a mechanic stand under a tree somewhere in samonda in Ibadan?

grin grin grin

Looking for someone trouble... Where in Samonda? make i bring my ijapa for baba EgunMogaji to kazeemizerepair

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is How The Iconic Porsche 911 Got Its Name / 5 Common Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair / 5 Frustrating Car Problems One Can Be Faced With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.