Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code (42643 Views)

List Of The 23 States In Nigeria That Exceeded Borrowing Limits– FRC / Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS / Governance Code: Enelamah & Obazee Clash Over Adeboye, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
So the code was suspended because they are afraid to loose followers or potential voters for 2019.

Why can't this govt put transparency and the interest of the masses in the fore front before sentiments.

I believe the isn't a bad idea and will help to check the activities of most churches.

8 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by sylviaeo(f): 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
Hw FRC take concern church?. Abeg na question I ask o . I b Christian

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Waspy(m): 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
"I could not resist talking about this, early today. The number of registered churches in Nigeria is 23,216 according to the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. Note that these churches have branches. There may be over 2,000,000 documented church branches in Nigeria. Add to this, all the Mosques and undocumented religious houses all over Nigeria, we may be talking of 5,000,000. It calls for concern. Our major business in Nigeria presently is religion or faith marketing. Yet this business is tax free and enjoy free entry. Juxtapose this with the production base in Nigeria, you will see why we are a poor nation with all forms of recession. Last year there are just slightly about 1000 manufacturing companies still hanging out there in Nigeria. Many of them are even threatening closure. Some of the old factory premises have been converted to churches and Mosques. It is sad. These companies who produce what we eat and use in this country pay tax and go through harrowing experience to do business. They cannot afford the limousines, luxury homes and private planes these faith leaders use, yet they are the ones that pay tax which we use to build roads that these faith preachers travel. We have got many things wrong in this country. Faith without work and expecting miracles is definitely a mirage. Time to have a personal relationship with God and focus on productive work. I am a Christian and a believer but I find it difficult to accept what is going on. The starting point is to bring all churches, mosques and religious houses to the tax bracket, tax religious organizations as we tax our companies. Give them tax deductions/benefits where they spend on charity as applied to businesses Nigeria.
According to one of my Wards whom I am proud to have mentored "Nigeria would have been such a great country to live in if the passion with which churches are created is the same way enterprises are established and industries developed by individuals. With this, meaningful and gainful employment would have become a thing of the past.
In a sharp departure from what I was thought in my home when I was growing up, I suddenly realized that nobody talks about industry and hard work anymore in Nigeria but miracle.
It is so painful that the teachings of hard work, honesty and industry have been replaced with the teachings of prosperity via a divine means in my dear country.
Professor Alan Rugman, of blessed memory, thought me at Henley Business School that key factors of economic growth in any country are the presence of viable industries and strong competition within the industries.
We must all imbibe the spirit of hard work, industry, patriotism and honesty for us to grow as a nation"
That is the view of one of the 24 young and promising Business Managers that I mentor. It is a food for thought as we start the new year."
I share your sentiments young man at least some of them. I understand your sincere innocence naivety just as much as I understand this governments abracadabra and political arm-twisting. Maybe the Finance Minister shld give a press release on this FRC and how she plans to use it to our economic advantage. Till then, my shenaniganic and political atm-twisting theory stands

4 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by fanwas(m): 9:35pm On Jan 09, 2017
I will be back, let me go and understand the topic first
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by honey001(m): 9:35pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
"I could not resist talking about this, early today. The number of registered churches in Nigeria is 23,216 according to the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. Note that these churches have branches. There may be over 2,000,000 documented church branches in Nigeria. Add to this, all the Mosques and undocumented religious houses all over Nigeria, we may be talking of 5,000,000. It calls for concern. Our major business in Nigeria presently is religion or faith marketing. Yet this business is tax free and enjoy free entry. Juxtapose this with the production base in Nigeria, you will see why we are a poor nation with all forms of recession. Last year there are just slightly about 1000 manufacturing companies still hanging out there in Nigeria. Many of them are even threatening closure. Some of the old factory premises have been converted to churches and Mosques. It is sad. These companies who produce what we eat and use in this country pay tax and go through harrowing experience to do business. They cannot afford the limousines, luxury homes and private planes these faith leaders use, yet they are the ones that pay tax which we use to build roads that these faith preachers travel. We have got many things wrong in this country. Faith without work and expecting miracles is definitely a mirage. Time to have a personal relationship with God and focus on productive work. I am a Christian and a believer but I find it difficult to accept what is going on. The starting point is to bring all churches, mosques and religious houses to the tax bracket, tax religious organizations as we tax our companies. Give them tax deductions/benefits where they spend on charity as applied to businesses Nigeria.
According to one of my Wards whom I am proud to have mentored "Nigeria would have been such a great country to live in if the passion with which churches are created is the same way enterprises are established and industries developed by individuals. With this, meaningful and gainful employment would have become a thing of the past.
In a sharp departure from what I was thought in my home when I was growing up, I suddenly realized that nobody talks about industry and hard work anymore in Nigeria but miracle.
It is so painful that the teachings of hard work, honesty and industry have been replaced with the teachings of prosperity via a divine means in my dear country.
Professor Alan Rugman, of blessed memory, thought me at Henley Business School that key factors of economic growth in any country are the presence of viable industries and strong competition within the industries.
We must all imbibe the spirit of hard work, industry, patriotism and honesty for us to grow as a nation"
That is the view of one of the 24 young and promising Business Managers that I mentor. It is a food for thought as we start the new year."

What's this one saying? So na church and mosque tax go build Nation? What about the tax collected so far, anything to show for it?

12 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Ayo25: 9:37pm On Jan 09, 2017
In Obazee's next life, he won't mess with Churches again.lol

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 09, 2017
Now our Daddy GO can come back right?
I think FG has achieved what they want. They just want Daddy GO from office because of his immense influence.
Well-done

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Bigcake: 9:38pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
Arrant nonsense....

Infact, i shit on your nonsense heard... leave Church alone.

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Unimaginable123: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2017
HRich:
I was in a cab today and the cab driver said, "I love my job,
I'm my own boss. Nobody tells me what to do..." Then I said,
"turn Left"
nice one. Keep the cab driver in place

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by OBAGADAFFI: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:

There are also big and super rich Churches in US, Korea e.t.c .

But the difference here is that their unemployment rate is low compared to Nigeria.

Most people see rushing to Church everyday are Jobless.

Most of Churches also got lots of employees who are been taxed by the government.

4 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:

you have time.. over do

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by bamasite(m): 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:

Very few will understand the brilliant truth you have just shared! My organization aims to balance this..... Though I know it is a task that will out live me. Am still working on it.......
Free brain training here: www.puzzlesplanet..com

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by greggng: 9:42pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pistolx:
So will daddy adeboye eat his vomit??

He is old he needs rest
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by bamasite(m): 9:42pm On Jan 09, 2017
honey001:

What's this one saying? So na church and mosque tax go build Nation? What about the tax collected so far, anything to show for it?
What he has shared seems to be beyond the realm of your understanding. But I suggest you take time to think about it!

FREE BRAIN TRAINING HERE: www.puzzlesplanet..com

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by tarboshi(m): 9:43pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pebcak:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4440502_fbimg1472552947570_jpega8c4743d48692d75335512f7da02df13

You lack knowledge, most renowned churches in Nigeria have wonderful and affordable hostpitals and health centres . Besides Nigeria is not a theocratic government, and soso the church is not supposed to provide health care facilities for the whole Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Okanokan(m): 9:43pm On Jan 09, 2017
The damage has already been done. The pains, as christians we must bear like our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, but like our papa, Adeboye we must persevere and take the insult now. Christians who sow in tears will reap in JOY. AMEN! 2019 is a second in God's eye. It is well Bethren!

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by obataokenwa(m): 9:49pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
Sir, this is a country full of wicked people and the govt kills industries. Nothing to encourage one to start a business. I've not travelled for almost two years now to go buy goods cos where will I get the dollar from. I've run out of stock. You talk to your bank manager, not possible. millions are pilled up in the account and it's just useless cos u only sell but don't restock. We've resorted to buying scrap from old machines. How can different people go to market with different dollar rate and u expect healthy competition? Buhari need to change his cabinet and look for experts. you don't use politicians during problems

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by davidif: 9:51pm On Jan 09, 2017
aminulive:
In the wake of Enoch Adeboye's resignation, Nigeria's government suspends FRC code of corporate governance

Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment Press Release (FMITI) Press Release January 9, 2017

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SUSPENDS CODE OF CORPORATE GOVERNANCE

The Corporate Governance Code issued by the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria (FRC) has been suspended, pending a detailed review, extensive consultation with stakeholders and reconstitution of the board of the FRC

“Government remains committed to restoring and enhancing market confidence and improving the Ease of Doing Business in Nigeria,” said Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah

He continued: “Government is committed to strengthening FRC and enhancing its capacity to fulfill its core mandate.”

FRC is one of the parastatals under the supervision of the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment.

The Council is responsible for setting and promoting compliance with standards for accounting, financial reporting and auditing in Nigeria. It also regulates the practices of professionals involved in financial reporting and promotes good practices in financial reporting and corporate governance in Nigeria.

http://politicsngr.com/fg-suspends-frc-issued-code-corporate-governance/

Can't this govt develop some back bone for once.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by ReubenE(m): 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
Sound analysis, keep it up...

However, miracle preachers are becoming more and more attractive because of the level of poverty in the land. Miracles only thrive where things are not working.

If there are no anomalies, miracle preaching will die a natural death.
Its like a poor man going to a preacher to examine his life, the only expectation of the poor man at that point is for the preacher to tell him that something is wrong with him, or somebody somewhere is manipulating him.
From this point, providing a solution becomes inevitable. Guess who holds the solution, it is the preacher.

This is exactly why miracles are selling like gold presently in the country.

If government is able to fight poverty to a standstill, people will no longer be interested in miracles because everyone would have been occupied by then....

4 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by netgurudahbadest: 9:53pm On Jan 09, 2017
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by histemple: 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2017
sanky346:
The coast is clear. We can now have our Daddy G.O back

He didn't leave before, the new guy was just made the OVERSEER while Adeboye is the GENERAL OVERSEER.

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by davidif: 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2017
ReubenE:
Nigerian government and reactionary measures are 5&6.
Rather than study issues properly to make the necessary amends, policies are hurriedly introduced always...

Man, the law makers can be soooooo frustrating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by equuscaballus: 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2017
honey001:

what's bad if churches come together and start building an constructing roads.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by NoToPile: 10:01pm On Jan 09, 2017
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/220007-breaking-buhari-sacks-official-whose-actions-led-adeboyes-exit-rccg-leader.html

Heared the FRC boss was a former pastor at RCCG , I got a very lengthy watsap broadcast about this with a lot of allegations on him being on a revenge mission Not sure how true it is anyway.

Its well

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by equuscaballus: 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

There are also big and super rich Churches in US, Korea e.t.c .

But the difference here is that their unemployment rate is low compared to Nigeria.

Most people see rushing to Church everyday are Jobless.

Most of Churches also got lots of employees who are been taxed by the government.

yes, there are mega churches in those countries. God is a major factor in any nation but the young man's point is Many ha refused to think for and by themselves. They are waiting for miracles. some believe they will make money by being pastors thus the reason for founding churches.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Segadem(m): 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2017
sanky346:
The coast is clear. We can now have our Daddy G.O back
Daddy G.O still remains Daddy G.O as ever, whether the FRC suspend their code of conduct or not.

...and to say the truth, i was/am totally disappointed with our media channel in this country, his words were twisted to have mass patronage to their news channel, he has never said the word resign or retire in his speech when he appoint Pastor Obayemi as Nigeria overseer, and any medium that thinks otherwise should quote him where and when he said it

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Paentera(m): 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2017
http://punchng.com/governance-code-minister-frcn-boss-clash-adeboye-others/

Minister Enelamah is a Pastor of RCCG. Talk about showing his hand too early.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by ipreach: 10:06pm On Jan 09, 2017

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by visiontech24: 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2017
Who is daddy Go
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Segadem(m): 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pistolx:
So will daddy adeboye eat his vomit??
correct yourself
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Pebcak: 10:12pm On Jan 09, 2017
tarboshi:

You lack knowledge, most renowned churches in Nigeria have wonderful and affordable hostpitals and health centres . Besides Nigeria is not a theocratic government, and soso the church is not supposed to provide health care facilities for the whole Nigeria.

Lets see who has more knowledge in the meme i posted earlier, posting new picture of hospital in Enugu and church in warri to be more specific.
Churches have hospital and schools and how affordable is it to the poor the ones that can't afford to travel abroad.

Lets go back to the bible and review Jesus's ministry Jesus attracted people through outreach
-teaching for free (education)
- healing the sick poor
- feeding the poor

Tell me which of these modern day church have their ministry like Jesus'

Tell me how much it cost to get treatment from one of your so called "wonderful and affordable hostpitals and health centres" and will they treat people without money.

when will churches start keeping open accounts? and available to the public this is how much we made from last month this is how much we paid and this is the the extra we have and we are building a free tuition college for the less privilege.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Omoyele Sowore Reacts After Being Accused Of Having Over $1 Million. PICS / Jonathan Was Inexperienced, Not Incompetent - Babangida / Brave Soldier Killed After Boko Haram Attack On A Military Post In Borno. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.