Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code (42630 Views)

List Of The 23 States In Nigeria That Exceeded Borrowing Limits– FRC / Why I Support FRCN's Governance Code For NGOS / Governance Code: Enelamah & Obazee Clash Over Adeboye, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by middlebelter(m): 10:13pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
"I could not resist talking about this, early today. The number of registered churches in Nigeria is 23,216 according to the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. Note that these churches have branches. There may be over 2,000,000 documented church branches in Nigeria. Add to this, all the Mosques and undocumented religious houses all over Nigeria, we may be talking of 5,000,000. It calls for concern. Our major business in Nigeria presently is religion or faith marketing. Yet this business is tax free and enjoy free entry. Juxtapose this with the production base in Nigeria, you will see why we are a poor nation with all forms of recession. Last year there are just slightly about 1000 manufacturing companies still hanging out there in Nigeria. Many of them are even threatening closure. Some of the old factory premises have been converted to churches and Mosques. It is sad. These companies who produce what we eat and use in this country pay tax and go through harrowing experience to do business. They cannot afford the limousines, luxury homes and private planes these faith leaders use, yet they are the ones that pay tax which we use to build roads that these faith preachers travel. We have got many things wrong in this country. Faith without work and expecting miracles is definitely a mirage. Time to have a personal relationship with God and focus on productive work. I am a Christian and a believer but I find it difficult to accept what is going on. The starting point is to bring all churches, mosques and religious houses to the tax bracket, tax religious organizations as we tax our companies. Give them tax deductions/benefits where they spend on charity as applied to businesses Nigeria.
According to one of my Wards whom I am proud to have mentored "Nigeria would have been such a great country to live in if the passion with which churches are created is the same way enterprises are established and industries developed by individuals. With this, meaningful and gainful employment would have become a thing of the past.
In a sharp departure from what I was thought in my home when I was growing up, I suddenly realized that nobody talks about industry and hard work anymore in Nigeria but miracle.
It is so painful that the teachings of hard work, honesty and industry have been replaced with the teachings of prosperity via a divine means in my dear country.
Professor Alan Rugman, of blessed memory, thought me at Henley Business School that key factors of economic growth in any country are the presence of viable industries and strong competition within the industries.
We must all imbibe the spirit of hard work, industry, patriotism and honesty for us to grow as a nation"
That is the view of one of the 24 young and promising Business Managers that I mentor. It is a food for thought as we start the new year."

When you choose to fight, watch out and be sure you are fighting for a good course.
I can't see how the churches have contributed to the economic dilemma of this country, I find it difficult to understand why you will not attack the government at various levels that have failed the citizens and be suggesting that the churches are responsible for the companies that are folding up? How has going to church increased laziness? Are the churches suppose to be creating employment for the citizens?
You want the government to stifle the growth of churches by imposing taxes? Whereas you have failed to challenge the government to properly account for the taxes it has been collecting over the years with the attendant poor infrastructure all over the place?
Church has offered us hope where government has failed. Just imagine a Nigeria with fewer churches and larger Boko Haram mindset. Which one is better?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by osusuallstars: 10:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pebcak:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4440502_fbimg1472552947570_jpega8c4743d48692d75335512f7da02df13
YOU ARE stupid. Which one is more important? What of the xtain sect(faith tabernacle) that don't take any drug or treatment. We need Christ more than drug
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Agbanagba1(m): 10:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
"I could not resist talking about this, early today. The number of registered churches in Nigeria is 23,216 according to the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. Note that these churches have branches. There may be over 2,000,000 documented church branches in Nigeria. Add to this, all the Mosques and undocumented religious houses all over Nigeria, we may be talking of 5,000,000. It calls for concern. Our major business in Nigeria presently is religion or faith marketing. Yet this business is tax free and enjoy free entry. Juxtapose this with the production base in Nigeria, you will see why we are a poor nation with all forms of recession. Last year there are just slightly about 1000 manufacturing companies still hanging out there in Nigeria. Many of them are even threatening closure. Some of the old factory premises have been converted to churches and Mosques. It is sad. These companies who produce what we eat and use in this country pay tax and go through harrowing experience to do business. They cannot afford the limousines, luxury homes and private planes these faith leaders use, yet they are the ones that pay tax which we use to build roads that these faith preachers travel. We have got many things wrong in this country. Faith without work and expecting miracles is definitely a mirage. Time to have a personal relationship with God and focus on productive work. I am a Christian and a believer but I find it difficult to accept what is going on. The starting point is to bring all churches, mosques and religious houses to the tax bracket, tax religious organizations as we tax our companies. Give them tax deductions/benefits where they spend on charity as applied to businesses Nigeria.
According to one of my Wards whom I am proud to have mentored "Nigeria would have been such a great country to live in if the passion with which churches are created is the same way enterprises are established and industries developed by individuals. With this, meaningful and gainful employment would have become a thing of the past.
In a sharp departure from what I was thought in my home when I was growing up, I suddenly realized that nobody talks about industry and hard work anymore in Nigeria but miracle.
It is so painful that the teachings of hard work, honesty and industry have been replaced with the teachings of prosperity via a divine means in my dear country.
Professor Alan Rugman, of blessed memory, thought me at Henley Business School that key factors of economic growth in any country are the presence of viable industries and strong competition within the industries.
We must all imbibe the spirit of hard work, industry, patriotism and honesty for us to grow as a nation"
That is the view of one of the 24 young and promising Business Managers that I mentor. It is a food for thought as we start the new year."
God will bless you for this write up. Nigerians wants to reap without sowing.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Madeu(m): 10:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
NoToPile:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/220007-breaking-buhari-sacks-official-whose-actions-led-adeboyes-exit-rccg-leader.html

Heared the FRC boss was a former pastor at RCCG , I got a very lengthy watsap broadcast about this with a lot of allegations on him being on a revenge mission. Not sure how true it is anyway.

Its well

Share the Whatsapp Broadcast.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Segadem(m): 10:15pm On Jan 09, 2017
sanky346:
The coast is clear. We can now have our Daddy G.O back
Daddy G.O still remains Daddy G.O as ever,

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by oyejideogunjumo: 10:15pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
it is good not to dabble or meddle into something one may not have in depth knowledge.
Agreed that there are proliferations of religious outfit here and there however it is wrong to brand them all aa commercial centers If it is that easy I think there are still enough spaces for who cares to try out too and see.Always leave Spiritual as Spiritual. Let God judge

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by visiontech24: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2017
histemple:

He didn't leave before, the new guy was just made the OVERSEER while Adeboye is the GENERAL OVERSEER.
ok
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by UGWENNA: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2017
BeClever:
After forcing Daddy GO into ×××××... Ok

No body forced daddy G.O to resign. Truth be told, we are not quick in oboying inconsiquential laws such as FRC in Nig. He deliberately resigned but the only pain was that he could not hand over to his son becus of the alleged provision of innocent FRC. PLS ADEBOYE, DO NOT RETIRETO POLITCS BECUS I AM PERCIEVING SOMETHING. YOU ARE STILL MY DADDY.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Lantosed: 10:18pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:
1 000,000 like for this.
The real economy driver largely depends on SMEs of that country in view. That is the reason why you see countries like Japan developed because they develop their SMEs and NOT Religion.
Jesus has already said that they people will make machandise of the gospel.
The country stands to gain next to nothing on economic terms if she focuses on faith.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by kcsider: 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:

Well said.... I agree with you completely. Religious bodies should pay taxes on their income. Charitable acts should be deducted and reasonable tax rates applied. People who make donations/offerings/ tithes should be given tax receipts to offset their income tax liability. This is how it is done in advanced countries. In fact this will create employment opportunities and people will earn decent living from it. Nigeria think....think.....think....haba!
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by AfroKnight: 10:25pm On Jan 09, 2017
Osinbajo pulling major strings

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by coputa(m): 10:25pm On Jan 09, 2017
mastermaestro:
The church of JESUS CHRIST marches on and the gates of hell shall not prevail! If it were a Muslim that oversaw the implementation of this law, people would have been crying foul. Alas! A southerner who is very likely a Christian pushed for its implementation even when the minister asked him to suspend it at least temporarily.

This is a proof that in the last days, it is Christians themselves that the devil will use to fight the church! Brace up people, the antichrists are here. They are in the church already singing hallelujah like you.

But the saints will prevail in the end! Hosanna! Hosanna!
Is there any saints left.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Pebcak: 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2017
osusuallstars:

YOU ARE stupid. Which one is more important? What of the xtain sect(faith tabernacle) that don't take any drug or treatment. We need Christ more than drug
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4719563_4528440imagejpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188_jpegf94a444140a4ec81c9bfeccd72a1165e

Hold up I wont insult you because you lack wisdom if you dont understand it is above you.

In your stupidity and ignorance we need Christ more than drugs which i totally agree to but because you are retarded and your brain cells are dead and you cant think I will help u

what good does it do if people are sick and can't worhip God
God gave us the ability and knowledge to treat sickness
I have had cases of people healed by faith and also people that died because they tested God
the church of God is not the building but us ............

I can go on and on but in your stupidity and foolishness you can't comprehend

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by buchibrand(m): 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2017
seguntijan:

If you are not the younger brother of Liar mohamed, you may be a lawyer or a journalist in the category of "Freeze" misleading and misinforming the people. You have actually mentored no fly not to talk of a successful business man (show us your proof or you are a BIG liar).

Where on earth have you heard that churches stopped government from registering any other business or creating enabling environment for businesses/industries to thrive?. What has church got to do with evil system of politicking, wicked tendencies of political office seekers and gullibility of the masses, than to fast and pray? How many churches in Nigeria go about sharing rice, money and T-shirt just to get members (even if it happens, will you not stop going there when they stop the goodies sharing?), rather most people go to church when they see signs and wonders, others for miracles, healing, deliverance and prosperity(only few are heaven minded). And lots of them had been testifying to the goodness and greatness of God(meaning that churches/mosques are shaping destinies and restoring hope). But what does your politicians give you during electioneering? Fake ambiguous promises, rice, 500Naira, pen, or a bottle of coke; so who's fooling who, the church or government.
If the truth must be told! Our youths should wake up from their slumber, do away with baba ijebu, sports betting, mmm, ballot box snatching, thuggery... and start being productive. That's the way forward and that's what I expect you to be preaching at this time not to lay blames on the corridors of the church and thereby further confusing the already confused few.
Please I advise you to take your time to study that "code" that has just been suspended, that's one of the things that has been killing businesses in Nigeria.

Register your own business and grow it, employ others and duplicate yourself or go open a church/mosque if you think its juicy and enriching.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Agbanagba1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
davidif:

Man, the law makers can be soooooo frustrating.
The vice president is Adeboye's boy.... Removing Adeboye means a definite loss for buhari in 2019.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by honey001(m): 10:38pm On Jan 09, 2017
equuscaballus:
what's bad if churches come together and start building an constructing roads.

Nothing bad in that, infact, some churches are doing that already...
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by ReubenE(m): 10:43pm On Jan 09, 2017
obataokenwa:
Sir, this is a country full of wicked people and the govt kills industries. Nothing to encourage one to start a business. I've not travelled for almost two years now to go buy goods cos where will I get the dollar from. I've run out of stock. You talk to your bank manager, not possible. millions are pilled up in the account and it's just useless cos u only sell but don't restock. We've resorted to buying scrap from old machines. How can different people go to market with different dollar rate and u expect healthy competition? Buhari need to change his cabinet and look for experts. you don't use politicians during problems
The bold is one area people are not looking at, but are quick to scream be entrepreneurial.
The Nigerian government encourages laziness as exhibited by the leaders themselves.
Poverty is now like a strategy on their part to keep the people away from challenging them. How can we even challenge them when majority of the populace are looking for a way to feed.

Aside some Nigerians been lazy which is global, government does not encourage enterprise. Different policies for different segments with the same problem.

Our leaders have shown to all that doing nothing can fetch us millions. All we need do is to grab political power...

3 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by davidif: 10:47pm On Jan 09, 2017
Agbanagba1:
The vice president is Adeboye's boy.... Removing Adeboye means a definite loss for buhari in 2019.

Oh snap! Thanks for the inside scoop on that. I never even thought about that.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 09, 2017
Why are churches affected by what happened with ministry of trade yet they don't pay tax? Nigeria is one silly country. undecided

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by redcliff: 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pebcak:

I still believe Nigerian churches should do more of humanity and charity outreach. Most churches are very rich and I mean very rich, I see a lot of similarity between politicians and pastors they amass wealth and they don't really care, honestly in my own opinion churches should not even have money in their account after paying necessary bills paying pastors etc what use is money in a church's account when there are millions of hungry kids, millions of homeless people. How do our pastors feel when they drive luxury cars and see underage kid hawking on the street.
I SAW A PICTURE OF A PASTOR IN HIS ROLLS ROYCE AND A KID WITH A TRAY OF BREAD I THINK how christian(Christ like) is that.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4440502_fbimg1472552947570_jpega8c4743d48692d75335512f7da02df13

Excuse me, why dont you pick a poor family to take care of..

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by nwakibie3(m): 10:54pm On Jan 09, 2017
greggng:

He is old he needs rest

Between baba Adeboye and Buhari considering their age, who has the greatest responsibilities and who needs the rest?
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by FreeGlobe(f): 10:58pm On Jan 09, 2017
KahlDrogo:
Blame it on Jonadumbfuck, the ipob yoots slavemaster.
afonjas keep slaving for buahri with an empty stomach.. smh

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by ReubenE(m): 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2017
Lantosed:

1 000,000 like for this.
The real economy driver largely depends on SMEs of that country in view. That is the reason why you see countries like Japan developed because they develop their SMEs and NOT Religion.
Jesus has already said that they people will make machandise of the gospel.
The country stands to gain next to nothing on economic terms if she focuses on faith.
Are churches responsible for developing SMEs?
Religion in Nigeria is thriving because government deliberately made the people poor in order to keep them away from challenging those who wield political power.

We have this mess today because the Nigerian state has failed to provide the enabling environment for businesses to thrive.
I wonder why some people are even of the opinion that taxes from religious bodies is the answer to our developmental problem. This in my opinion is ridiculous.

It's good to tax these bodies, but the question is how well are the taxes collected so far ushered in the needed development in the country?

Making it appear as if churches are the manufacturers of the development challenge in the country is so wrong....
If the owner of the house is not interested in seeing ants, then sugar should not be poured on the floor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by nwakibie3(m): 11:02pm On Jan 09, 2017
equuscaballus:
what's bad if churches come together and start building an constructing roads.

And will it be an abomination if Muslims and other religions come together and construct the roads? U ppl should leave church alone and face the people u voted into the government for ur social welfare.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Totino: 11:03pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pistolx:
So will daddy adeboye eat his vomit??

Capital NO
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by ReubenE(m): 11:05pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pebcak:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4719563_4528440imagejpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188_jpegf94a444140a4ec81c9bfeccd72a1165e

Hold up I wont insult you because you lack wisdom if you dont understand it is above you.

In your stupidity and ignorance we need Christ more than drugs which i totally agree to but because you are retarded and your brain cells are dead and you cant think I will help u

what good does it do if people are sick and can't worhip God
God gave us the ability and knowledge to treat sickness
I have had cases of people healed by faith and also people that died because they tested God
the church of God is not the building but us ............

I can go on and on but in your stupidity and foolishness you can't comprehend
You threw civility into the wind with this submission. You can still pass the message without the abrasive words.

It's totally off bro. This one is just too much...
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Pebcak: 11:10pm On Jan 09, 2017
redcliff:

Excuse me, why dont you pick a poor family to take care of..

Yes sir cheked, thats done
Hate to say this but just last year
- I was involved in a charity that that fed OVER 40,000 less privilege people across several,
- Renovated a public school library in ibadan
so what have you done? if you say nothing please join a charity it feels good

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by gud4dbest(m): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2017
obataokenwa:
Sir, this is a country full of wicked people and the govt kills industries. Nothing to encourage one to start a business. I've not travelled for almost two years now to go buy goods cos where will I get the dollar from. I've run out of stock. You talk to your bank manager, not possible. millions are pilled up in the account and it's just useless cos u only sell but don't restock. We've resorted to buying scrap from old machines. How can different people go to market with different dollar rate and u expect healthy competition? Buhari need to change his cabinet and look for experts. you don't use politicians during problems

thank you for the bolded.
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Pebcak: 11:13pm On Jan 09, 2017
ReubenE:

You threw civility into the wind with this submission. You can still pass the message without the abrasive words.

It's totally off bro. This one is just too much...

My apologies bro but a'int gonna let this halfwit,dolt,simpleton called osusuallstars call me stupid without sending him home to his parent to get trained and ask for his real name
Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by Orikinla1: 11:17pm On Jan 09, 2017
Federal government should hands off religion.
Nigerian government should not sponsor pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem.
The Christians and Muslims can take care of their responsibilities.

2 Likes

Re: FG Suspends FRC Corporate Governance Code by OBAGADAFFI: 11:18pm On Jan 09, 2017
equuscaballus:
yes, there are mega churches in those countries. God is a major factor in any nation but the young man's point is Many ha refused to think for and by themselves. They are waiting for miracles. some believe they will make money by being pastors thus the reason for founding churches.

Oga, if you are working 8am - 5pm including traffic hours will have time for any Church miracle service?

Most fresh graduate from NYSC will are willing and Zealous to work, but where is the opportunity.

It is very difficult to be creative in an environment like Nigerias, except you have something else working for you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan At The Burial Of Aduko Johnson Okpoko / Rotimi Akeredolu Emerges As APC Governorship Candidate In Ondo State / Cows Strayed Into Wole Soyinka’s Land But He Wasn’t Attacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.