Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert (1396 Views)

Six Nigerian Banks To Merge From January 2016? / CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 / Nigerian Banks Cheated Customers By N6bn In 2012- Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by back2back(f): 9:28am On Nov 26, 2009
Nigerian Banks are about the only ones advertising on CNN.

But at home same Banks are sacking people left and right!

FG had to bail some of them out with our MONEY!

Virtually all the Western Banks have not done any more CNN adverts since the credit crunch!

Dont tell me it is about foreign investors because these investors were the first to remove their money from our Capital Market leading to 'The Crash'.

What exactly is with Nigerian banks?
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by otokx(m): 9:35am On Nov 26, 2009
I saw the one by skye bank on BBC this morning.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by back2back(f): 9:39am On Nov 26, 2009
Na wa for this Nigerian Banks.

Instead to use the money provide better bank services to us, employe more people, they throw it away to CNN & BBC.

This our colo-mentality is HUGE problem.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by otokx(m): 9:42am On Nov 26, 2009
real colomentality; are you a fela fan?
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 10:17am On Nov 26, 2009
back2back:

Nigerian Banks are about the only ones advertising on CNN.

But at home same Banks are sacking people left and right!

FG had to bail some of them out with our MONEY!

Virtually all the Western Banks have not done any more CNN adverts since the credit crunch!

Dont tell me it is about foreign investors because these investors were the first to remove their money from our Capital Market leading to 'The Crash'.

What exactly is with Nigerian banks?

Has it dawned on you that the banks could be trying to attract business from Nigerians abroad?
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by back2back(f): 10:30am On Nov 26, 2009
Has it dawned on you that the banks could be trying to attract business from Nigerians abroad?

Nigerian abroads already coming home; credit crunch every where!

So why is Chinese Banks, India Banks which are far more bigger not advertising on CNN, BBC to attract Chinese, India abroad to invest at home?

And they dont need CNN, BBC advert to attract Nigerians aborad to invest in Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by mrperfect(m): 1:13pm On Nov 26, 2009
Can't they attract more investors?
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 1:19pm On Nov 26, 2009
back2back:

Nigerian abroads already coming home; credit crunch every where!

Is this your opinion or a fact? Where is the evidence to back this claim, I would be interested to know.

back2back:

So why is Chinese Banks, India Banks which are far more bigger not advertising on CNN, BBC to attract Chinese, India abroad to invest at home?

Firstly, BBC dose not advertise - directly in the UK.  Secondly, India and China do not need to advertise as heavily because both countries have a trading agreement with the USA and the European Union.  In addition, both nations enjoy POSITIVE media coverage from  CNN, BBC because the west have a large number of investments in their respective countries.

back2back:

And they dont need CNN, BBC advert to attract Nigerians aborad to invest in Nigeria!

I agree with that, it should be the governments job to encourage Nigerians to invest by PERFORMING but if the government dosen't do it who will?
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Afam4eva(m): 1:21pm On Nov 26, 2009
Stupidity reigns supreme in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 1:24pm On Nov 26, 2009
transformR:

Firstly, BBC dose not advertise.

BBC World Service does advertise.

@ topic,

Who knows?

Maybe it profits them.

I must admit that I have seen a disconcertingly? large no of Nigerian bank adverts on CNN, both before and after the banking collapse.

I haven't seen much advertising on CNBC and Bloomberg though. One would have thunk thats the market they would wanna reach.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 1:31pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

BBC World Service does advertise.

Read carefully before you respond, the BBC is funded by British tax payers.  In the UK it relies on a TV license fee of £139.50, they do not carry advertisements for ANY products!  So Nigerians in the UK will not see adverts from Nigerian Banks in the UK.  The worldservice? Well I listen to all their stations and again there are no adverts, ask anyone living in the UK who knows what he/she is talking about.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 1:35pm On Nov 26, 2009
afam4eva:

Stupidity reigns supreme in Nigeria.

You are a good example of that Stupidity:

afam4eva:

Who's Awolowo?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-357120.0.html
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 1:40pm On Nov 26, 2009
transformR:

read carefully before you respond, BBC is funded by British tax payers. Now it is not commercial and relies on a TV license fee of £139.50, they do not carry advertisements for ANY products! So Nigerians in the UK will not see adverts from Nigerian Banks in the UK. The worldservice? Well I listen to all their stations and again there are no adverts, ask anyone living in the UK who knows what he/she is talking about.

Why do some people like to take simple passing on of information personally? grin

FYI, I live in the UK.

I was also under the impression that BBC does not advertise, until I went on holiday to Cape Verde last month and saw adverts on BBC World News.

http://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/About.aspx

To quote:

BBC World News is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a member of the BBC's commercial group of companies and is funded by subscription and advertising revenues.

I think you owe the OP an apology. cool He obviously saw the adverts on one of the BBC World channels.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 1:47pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

Why do some people like to take simple passing on of information personally?  grin

FYI, I live in the UK.

I was also under the impression that BBC does not advertise, until I went on holiday to Cape Verde last month and saw adverts on BBC World News.

http://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/About.aspx

To quote:

BBC World News is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a member of the BBC's commercial group of companies and is funded by subscription and advertising revenues.

I think you owe the OP an apology.  cool He obviously saw the adverts on one of the BBC World channels.

This is much ado about nothing, you obviously did not read before you went off to do online research.  the OP is a female not a he and secondly I wrote:

transformR:

Is this your opinion or a fact? Where is the evidence to back this claim, I would be interested to know.

Firstly, [size=15pt]BBC dose not advertise - directly in the UK.[/size]  Secondly, India and China do not need to advertise as heavily because both countries have a trading agreement with the USA and the European Union.  In addition, both nations enjoy POSITIVE media coverage from  CNN, BBC because the west have a large number of investments in their respective countries.

Is that clear now? You are talking about third world islands like Cape Verde I am talking about television adverts in the WEST - you owe me an apology.  lets not diverge from the subject over petty issues.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 1:51pm On Nov 26, 2009
transformR:

You owe me an apology.

The OP didnt say she lives in UK, so I dont see why you would challenge her with "Firstly, BBC does not advertise" .

Alright bro, lets not make much ado about nothing. . . my apologies.  cool
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 1:52pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

The OP didnt say she lives in UK, so I dont see why you would challenge her with "Firstly, BBC does not advertise" .

She was complaining that Nigerian Banks were advertising on the BBC and CNN by that she implied 'adverts in the WEST'.  I simply pointed out that the BBC is a national corporation WITHIN THE UK - So people in the UK will not see such adverts.

Ibime:

Alright bro, lets not make much ado about nothing. . . my apologies.  cool
I respect that, lets move on.  grin grin
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 1:59pm On Nov 26, 2009
transformR:

I respect that, lets move on. grin grin

No biggie. . . . BTW, I think ya edited ya post to add "directly in the UK". I can swear it wasnt there when I first quoted it. grin
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

No biggie. . . . BTW, I think ya edited ya post to add "directly in the UK". I can swear it wasnt there when I first quoted it.  grin

transformR:

She was complaining that Nigerian Banks were advertising on the BBC and CNN by that she implied 'adverts in the WEST'.  I simply pointed out that the BBC is a national corporation WITHIN THE UK - So people in the UK will not see such adverts.
I respect that, lets move on.  grin grin

The BBC is not permitted to carry advertising or sponsorship on its public services. This keeps them independent of commercial interests and ensures that they can be run instead to serve the general public interest.

If the BBC sold airtime either wholly or partially, advertisers and other commercial pressures would dictate its programme and schedule priorities. There would also be far less revenue for other broadcasters.

The BBC is financed instead by a TV licence fee paid by households. This guarantees that a wide range of high-quality programmes can be made available, unrestricted, to everyone.

The licence fee also helps support production skills, training, local or minority programmes and other services which might not otherwise be financed by the economics of pay-TV or advertising.

This is the bit you are referring to:===

The BBC runs additional commercial services around the world. These are not financed by the licence fee but are kept quite separate from the BBC's public services. Profits are used to help keep the licence fee low so that UK licence fee payers can benefit commercially from their investment in programmes.

So this proves:

1. BBC is not a Commercial entity like CNN, CNBC and others
2. BBCs is NOT in the advertising business inside the UK, its a NATIONAL Corporation!

@Ibime  you are welcome to draw your own conclusion, have a nice day.

Source: The BBC itself  http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/advertising.shtml
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Nov 26, 2009
BBC America does advertise.
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 3:47pm On Nov 26, 2009
transformR:

2. BBCs is NOT in the advertising business inside the UK, its a NATIONAL Corporation!

I think we all agree on that.

The question is, did you edit your post?

Say the truth and shame the devil! cool
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by transformR: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

I think we all agree on that.

The question is, did you edit your post?

Say the truth and shame the devil! cool

I did not edit my post - the devil is ashamed now. You just need to read next time and stop arguing for arguing's sake. grin
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by Ibime(m): 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2009
Are you sure? grin

When I quoted you on post no 9, there is a fullstop on the end of your quote, meaning I deliberately deleted the directly in the UK part, leaving the fullstop.

Surely, Im not that vindictive. cool

Oya, say the truth! grin
Re: Nigerian Banks & CNN Advert by sunjongs(m): 4:33pm On Nov 26, 2009
This is not the end of the srory the banks will surely do better adverts are good marketing strategies. it can only bring goodies and not a bad idea

(1) (Reply)

The Truth About The Current Nigeria Middle Belt Crisis - wake up Nigerians !!!!! / Pdp Presidential Primary Kicks Off In N’central, S’east Oct 18 / Convicted Money Launderer Donates To Jonathan's Campaign For Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.