Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (693438 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Drocks: 12:54pm On Jun 23, 2017
Congratulations...
Jonmayer:
Visa approved today @ Lagos Embassy, 7am. I never expected it to be that short. I've been a silent observer here for about 2 months now and this is my first post. Here goes..
Vo: (after looking at my i20) so, which of the areas in Electrical Engineering are you interested in?
Me: Renewable Energy
Vo: okay (nods and types for a few), so why did you decide on Renewable Energy?
Me: (deep breath) okay, so I chose Renewable Energy cos it's part of my long term career goal to invest in the power sector of my home country by establishing a start up that will provide photo-efficient solar panels and it's accompanying devices to generate electricity for domestic homes and small retail stores (she kept nodding all through)
Vo: okay (types for a while again), so why Portland State University?
Me: I chose Portland State for a number of reasons actually. First of all, the school operates the quarter calendar system which is faster since classes run all year long. Secondly, my Dept offers to teach embedded systems programming as part of the Renewable Energy graduate track, which is quite rare, and learning to program an embedded system will make me a more versatile MSc holder (I was expecting her to cut me short but she kept listening and smiling, typing intermittently...I started smiling back and almost stopped talking but decided to finish...gave the last reason about research stuff).
She handed me my i20, SEVIS and collection slip and said the usual "...3 working days...need this at the airport... " I didn't hear cos she spoke fast and in a low tone.
So, that's it.
I noticed alot of people being denied today for avoidable reasons. Guys, cover your grounds. Don't just go cos people are going. It's good to pray, but work also (I did both). I learned today that the first few secs determine alot, your appearance and demeanor also, you don't want to create a negative impression before you even get to speak. The interview is not as dreadful as alot of you describe it to be. Good luck to prospective applicants.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by etyno: 1:07pm On Jun 23, 2017
hello house, great work going on here, I read this thread everyday and I tell you, it has become a part of me
. A friend has an issue, she needs your help.
my friend has gotten her F1 visa to attend a four year course. At this time, her passport would expire more than 6months to the end of her program.

The problem now is that, due to some personal and urgent reasons, she has to differ her admission from fall to spring 2017.
but her passport would expire only 4 months after her program that stands in spring.

according to US law, one should have a passport valid for more than 6months to the time one's program ought to end.
would this pose a problem at the point of entry? would she need to renew her passport before leaving Nigeria? or would she have to reapply for a fresh interview. pls advice urgently needed.

cc Lagosismyhome, textrem, walspring....ball the gurus in the house. plzzzz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sleek004: 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2017
Visa transcript

windows 2 chubby calm man 7am yesterday

woke up around 3:30 am, told my sis and bro we should pray,which we did. Got to the bathroom took my bath and then texrem called me to give me final mock interview. he said I wasn't that bad but need to improve, then my uncle came around to pick me up and we started the journey.Got to the embassy around 6:30 the scanning had already begun just collected my documents and didn't bother to tell my sis goodbye...after all the security checks,didn't know it was in that room the the interview was going to be held. when I found out my heart skipped a bit. The lady in windows 3 was someone I know cos she did this facebook live interview and I got to tell her about my fears. was tempted to go stay in her cubicle but the spirit just said stay where you are..so after the lady in front of me was denied ..I stepped up

Me: Goodmornin sir, how was ur night

vo: smiled and said good morning
he then asked why northeastern university

me: Northeastern has a good co-op education programme..top 40 National schools in the USA

vo: what's your study plan

me: (my heart just skipped) told him I will be required to do 120 semester hours in 45 months ( as texrem told me) he just cut me

v.o: why are u going for ur degree now?
me: its now my dad is capable to sponsor my schooling ( I just did know what pushed that out of my mouth)

v.o: what does ur day do?

me: told him

vo just started typing..he didn't look at me..I began thinking.. is that all you gonna ask me? Oga please ask me more question but my mouth was just mute..I couldn't talk

v.o: pick ur passport at this location u will be needing this at ur point of entering..goodluck

my head was just spinning.. I just said "thank you sir" " thank you Jesus "
went out to the corridor and knelt down to thank Jesus. ran out and went to hug my sis so tight..it was beautiful.

I have seen lots of debates on whether u should trust God or prepare urself..my take is pls do both but then u need God if u destined to travel if u like keep mute..u will still go. I wanna thank pple of this thread..u guys are magnificent. may God continue to help u as u help others..and for those that are waiting on God for visa..may ur prayers be answered.. take Care Shalom

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
etyno:
hello house, great work going on here, I read this thread everyday and I tell you, it has become a part of me
. A friend has an issue, she needs your help.
my friend has gotten her F1 visa to attend a four year course. At this time, her passport would expire more than 6months to the end of her program.

The problem now is that, due to some personal and urgent reasons, she has to differ her admission from fall to spring 2017.
but her passport would expire only 4 months after her program that stands in spring.

according to US law, one should have a passport valid for more than 6months to the time one's program ought to end.
would this pose a problem at the point of entry? would she need to renew her passport before leaving Nigeria? or would she have to reapply for a fresh interview. pls advice urgently needed.

cc Lagosismyhome, textrem, walspring....ball the gurus in the house. plzzzz

Couldnt understand this post.... spring 2017 has passed. Then 6 months to end of program . I really dont understand

If she has only 4 months left at the time of travel and that against the rule of 6 months then really its a given that YES she should get a new passport . ...rules are best followed

A visa doesnt have to be in a current passport. You just use rubberband and hold the two passports together and travel.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by yemmy75(m): 1:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Akdegreat:
Who else applied for the educationUSA OF program?
I applied. Have you heard anything from them yet? I think we should form a group
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 23, 2017
I must testify on this platform to the shame of the devil and glory of the Almighty God. Amen I type in faith

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by jesusbabe27: 1:36pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hello house

I have a question to ask..

Have been given Admission to study and I have 7 months old baby going with me as f2...
I told my school about it and they said I should get my own visa first then after I should send to them that that's what they will use to process my baby f2...
My question is on my ds 160, have fill that a dependant will be going with me...
I haven't apply for me him yet...Will do that after have been given...
ON MY INTERVIEW DAY, IS IT NECESSARY I CARRY HIM ALONG OR I SHOULD GO ALONE?

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by RichieBasi22(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2017
Biggy911:

Greatest Yabaites, I was one of your super SUG Capone back in those years.
step 1: Evaluate you ND plus HND (preferably using WES) although some Institutions use other evaluation body. The Bottom line is you get Credential Evaluation to boost ur GPA and also explain your Certificates to be equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree for study abroad.
Step 2: Do the GRE to be on the advantage side, prepare like 3 months ahead
Step 3: Research well for your Institution that fits ur career and also ur Budget.
since ur family sponsoring u is not sure, don't say that outside, just do the GRE and TOEFL and score high to stand a good change for funding.

My Bro,
Thank you for the assistance, however can you pm me with ur mobile, I need some clearity from u,
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by donanod(m): 2:07pm On Jun 23, 2017
TWoods:

What's the national ranking though? I'm not trying to scare you but simply telling you what i've experienced. I am currently coordinating hiring for this year in my department and i will not mince words, the school you attended and the quality of the program, was one of the main criteria we used to decide whether to advance a candidate or not. Think for a second, you apply for a job, you're from Lincoln and the next guy went to Penn State... you bet the Penn State guy is getting a more favorable view than you anyday.

I will not tell you that Lincoln is a bad school, but think very carefully. You want a job in a top company here... choose wisely.

Thanks a lot for this.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by jesusbabe27: 2:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
jesusbabe27:
Hello house

I have a question to ask..

Have been given Admission to study and I have 7 months old baby going with me as f2...
I told my school about it and they said I should get my own visa first then after I should send to them that that's what they will use to process my baby f2...
My question is on my ds 160, have fill that a dependant will be going with me...
I haven't apply for me him yet...Will do that after have been given...
ON MY INTERVIEW DAY, IS IT NECESSARY I CARRY HIM ALONG OR I SHOULD GO ALONE?

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by sassy92(f): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2017
Good day everyone I've been following this thread and it's quite informative. Please I have a few questions:
- I wish to apply for a Masters by Fall 2018. I've started preparing for GRE. Please where do I register and write here in Nigeria? I need contact details of genuine centers coz I've heard scam stories?
- do I write TOEFL or IELTS? Which is preferable?
- I want to do a Masters by Research in a Canadian university so that I can proceed to PhD afterwards. Most schools insist that one secures a research supervisor from the school before granting admission. Please anyone with experience should put me through to how to go about it. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by justwise(m): 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2017
texrem:

Send me a PM..

Please stop asking people to pm you for an interview, try as much as you can to answer question regarding interviews openly here, this is an interactive forum.

There is nothing about visa interview that can not be discussed openly here

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Abimmbolar: 2:33pm On Jun 23, 2017
You can use your mastercard to make this payment.I paid mine with GTbank mastercard.
UCM is a great and cheap school for its value.

goldenfresh:
University of Central Missouri
How is the school?
Please, can someone help me pay application fee of 75$ I have the Naira equivalent?

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by goldenfresh: 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2017
Abimmbolar:

You can use your mastercard to make this payment.I paid mine with GTbank mastercard.
UCM is a great and cheap school for its value.

Please did you go through WES evaluation?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Observer25: 2:50pm On Jun 23, 2017
Jonmayer:
Visa approved today @ Lagos Embassy, 7am. I never expected it to be that short. I've been a silent observer here for about 2 months now and this is my first post. Here goes..
Vo: (after looking at my i20) so, which of the areas in Electrical Engineering are you interested in?
Me: (deep breath) okay, so I chose Renewable Energy cos it's part of my long term career goal to invest in the power sector of my home country by establishing a start up that will provide photo-efficient solar panels and it's accompanying devices to generate electricity for domestic homes and small retail stores (she kept nodding all through)
Me: I chose Portland State for a number of reasons actually. First of all, the school operates the quarter calendar system which is faster since classes run all year long. Secondly, my Dept offers to teach embedded systems programming as part of the Renewable Energy graduate track, which is quite rare, and learning to program an embedded system will make me a more versatile MSc holder (I was expecting her to cut me short but she kept listening and smiling, typing intermittently...I started smiling back and almost stopped talking but decided to finish...gave the last reason about research stuff).
She handed me my i20, SEVIS and collection slip and said the usual "...3 working days...need this at the airport... " I didn't hear cos she spoke fast and in a low tone.
So, that's it.
I noticed alot of people being denied today for avoidable reasons. Guys, cover your grounds. Don't just go cos people are going. It's good to pray, but work also (I did both). I learned today that the first few secs determine alot, your appearance and demeanor also, you don't want to create a negative impression before you even get to speak. The interview is not as dreadful as alot of you describe it to be. Good luck to prospective applicants.

Congrats man!
I know the tuition at Portland State is very expensive. Did they offer you any Graduate assistanship?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Mekurexx: 2:52pm On Jun 23, 2017
Evaluation whether WES, ECE, IERF cannot be waived. its a Must. GRE can be waived for some schools but that will take a dedicated search.
My advice is that these are mandatory expenses you cant run away from. You have to be mentally and financially prepared during the application process
goldenfresh:

Thanks so much on that. Please Have you done the WES evaluation or did you choose another school. I need school that can waive GRE and WES for me. This my profile :

UG: computer science
Cgpa: 4.38/5.00
Ielts : 7.0
Intended program : any IT related course (MS)
Please I need help from you guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by gaviria: 3:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
TWoods:

What's the national ranking though? I'm not trying to scare you but simply telling you what i've experienced. I am currently coordinating hiring for this year in my department and i will not mince words, the school you attended and the quality of the program, was one of the main criteria we used to decide whether to advance a candidate or not. Think for a second, you apply for a job, you're from Lincoln and the next guy went to Penn State... you bet the Penn State guy is getting a more favorable view than you anyday.

I will not tell you that Lincoln is a bad school, but think very carefully. You want a job in a top company here... choose wisely.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by chinemomah2020(m): 3:34pm On Jun 23, 2017
moravelu:
Visa approved today
Hallelujah. thanks to everyone who encourage me and asked me to prepare my self and fireoff again.

Rejected on monday 19 June
Approved friday 22 June 6:30 interview

I was rejected on monday because I had applied a second bsc in a totally different field from sceince to religious studies.

To cut it short, I prayed very hard and I told God that only white papers will be issued until it gets to my turn, na so e happen oh, but only for windows 7 (if im correct) a white man probably 40s, first guy white paper, second white paper, me third white paper also.

See my transcript.

Vo: Good morning, pass me your i20 and passport
Me: here it is, and how was your night
Vo: fine thank you

Vo: why this school?
Me: I will give u two reasons, first the school is engineered to produce graduating students who are both fit to become ministers and christian educators, for me this is killing two birds with one stone (vo cuts in)

Vo: and how is that?
Me: Based on the curriculum
Vo: Tell me about the curriculum?
Me: The have programs like cross cultural ministry (for ministers) and comparative theology (for educators)

Vo: How many school did you apply
Me: 2
Vo: why this one?
Me: the have missionary trips...., mentored ministry..., practical ministry training...., all programs are based on the bible no mix up with ecumenism or scientology
Before I finish vo cuts in

Vo: pick up your visa in three days time
Me: Dancing lagbaja, praising God,
Na so e end oh, leave boyfriend and Girlfriend matter eh no dey pay, Na baba Jesu way sure pass. His words never fail.

Congrat Bro.. that was really fast, i tap into your blessing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by chinemomah2020(m): 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2017
JJonmayer:
So, that's it.

Thanks for the transcript may God bless your journey
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 3:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
chinemomah2020

Everyone has told you but it seems all their opinion didn't count.
Please, quote before you reply. It is annoying,don't you get it

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Folsy(f): 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
Hello House, pls what's d maximum amount of cash to travel with when leaving for the USA WITHOUT PTA?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by moravelu: 4:13pm On Jun 23, 2017
Abeg guys please advice

I want to manage cost can I use air maroc or air egypt. From lagos to Newyork, Is it that bad?

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by phawwaz(m): 4:13pm On Jun 23, 2017
gaviria:

This guy what the hell is your issue? This isn't your class whatsapp group, you don't just come here and start yarning rubbish. No one here cares about your dry and irksome jokes. Keep them to yourself, talk about things the group is about or stfu. You think this is your high school or University whatsapp group that you can say whatever comes to your head? Get a chill pill and rest. You're probably going for an undergrad degree because it can't be MS and you're acting like this. You've not even done your interview and you're fiddle-footed. Behave or stfu dude.
well m going for undergraduate and am smart dis wan miss road

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Renewable0216: 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2017
slimmy2005:
Where is this guy?

Interestingly, I just saw this.

Sorry Bro, I got really discouraged after the school refused to provide ANY funding for the first year. I was asked to provide a balance of over $30k for them to issue I-20. They, however, sounded like there's assurance of funding after the first year.

Sadly, other applications didn't turn out well too.

Got really discouraged.

Not sure where to pick up from? Any ideas

Sorry if I bashed in the midst of some discussion, I just saw this quote and thought to reply it.

Thanks guys!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by chinemomah2020(m): 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2017
[quote author=OluDare01

Everyone has told you but it seems all their opinion didn't count.
Please, quote before you reply. It is annoying,don't you get it
[/quote]

Am not doing that delibrately, neither are my i happy seeing people complaining about it. I always click on quote before i start typing. Could it be my NL account has a problem or what could be the cause?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2017
[quote author=chinemomah2020 post=57786234][/quote]
No,maybe your browser or network.
This is how to quote,just click quote and type before or after the '[ ]'

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.