Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,619 members, 7,827,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? (3941 Views)

MKO Abiola: Presidency Fires Back At Buhari’s Critics / Buhari- Why Ecowas Single Currency Is Not Feasible Now / Tension In Aso Rock: 24hours After Ibb, Obasanjo, Abdulsalami Discuss Buhari’s H (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:00am On Jan 23, 2017
op, i see you as someone with zeal and knowledge, but lacking in wisdom and understanding.
as beautiful as the topic is, you already have a subjective mindset, so no point engaging you as it's of no benefit to you nor fellow readers.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Noneroone(m): 9:41am On Jan 23, 2017
Funnicator:

SMH. I guess since buhari was initially leading Jonathan in the election announcement and orubebe successfully disrupted jega from eventually announcing buhari winner, if it happened that way buhari would therefore not be winner and goodluck could fix another election. Right?
dont be ridiculous. Jonathan's era was democratic and he wouldn't annul it himself only jega could. If jega had annuled the election during the orubebe saga, and jonathan handed over to an interim govt like IBB, nothing could have been done about it. If you are not pronounced winner in an election even when preliminary results point towards your victory, nothing for you.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 23, 2017
Noneroone:
dont be ridiculous. Jonathan's era was democratic and he wouldn't annul it himself only jega could. If jega had annuled the election during the orubebe saga, and jonathan handed over to an interim govt like IBB, nothing could have been done about it.

So annuling and getting away with it only goes for military governments

Issokay sad
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 23, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:
op, i see you as someone with zeal and knowledge, but lacking in wisdom and understanding.
as beautiful as the topic is, you already have a subjective mindset, so no point engaging you as it's of no benefit to you nor fellow readers.

Please don't mind the character oozing from my posts.

Comment objectively anyway. Thanks.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 23, 2017
Corrinthians:
You know what hurts the Osus the most about the Gambia episode? It is the fact that it didnt end up in war and the cawardly president quietly left. They were looking forward to seeing pictuures of dead nigerian soldiers so they can celebrate and insult the president. Thank God their hopes were dashed.

Trust me, the bastards would have supported Jameh. grin
Igbos are not in hurry to see the NA dead bodies coz somedays it wil com
Many of you were hapy that the NA are killin us, months later the killed they shites som of they shites members were hapy seein Ipob memenbers dead bodies now its the turn of the IDP soon it might reach u

1 Like

Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by saintmark88(m): 10:03am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

If condemning the annulment of arguably the fairest elections in our nations history is prejudice in your sight, then you're right bro: this convo is needless.

Y r u like this, u dnt involve in an convo to win but to sometimes educate urself.... Aboila was declared winner by delectoral chairman although he was clearly D winner on paper, but ibb annulled the election bfre d winner was annoyed by the chairman.

Adama barrow on d other hand was announced and decleared as the winner by their electoral chairman, that my friend is the first difference, secondly jammeh had conceded defeat only for him to turn 360 and say he doesn't believe in d same election that he conducted...
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by OlujobaSamuel: 10:19am On Jan 23, 2017
Funnicator:

Please don't mind the character oozing from my posts.

Comment objectively anyway. Thanks.
i see everything in the world as a game of asserting power, from animals to plants to humans, each trying to subdue that which it has power over, if nigeria should have a gambia issue again today, no org can send foot soldiers into our nation, as it costs a lot, except they are to use air strike, the worst is using nigerians to attack nigerians, how many ecowas nation can face us to challenge us? none except life don tire dem, we have so many rebels already in the name of militants, from fulani herdsmen, to niger delta to biafra movements to opc to islamic fundamentalist, all those listed are armed in one way or the pther, so they can be used depending on who is on seat.
a report today said our own tinubu jet dey carry gambia jammie go exile, na d same jet dey carry guinea president, who wan question us, we run ecowas for now, with the situation of things, its not changing in the nearest future.
on au sending armed unit here, which country amongst our neighbours wan take us? from lagos to ghana 8hrs, from lagos to akwa ibom 10hrs, also consider our population, etc.
on the issue of ibb n mko, the result wasnt declared, the NEC, Nwosu no announce even though the winner was obvious as everyone could see it all, ibb did something very illegal using the law to legalize it by using a court to stop the election, so many devils dey our nation, no one wants to underestimate any, including external forces.
i just hope our sai baba no sit tight when time reach(although i dont see him sitting tight), we go just kill ourselves tire as no nation go send us military aide, na only talk we go dey hear for radio, they will only come after the civil disorder to settle us, reposition us and take our resources that might be booming by then.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Noneroone(m): 10:20am On Jan 23, 2017
Funnicator:

So annuling and getting away with it only goes for military governments

Issokay sad
the question is partly on who annulled

but the major question is at what stage was it annulled.

A dictator could annul election an election at an early stage an still mange to hold on amids pressure but not after a winner had legitimately emmerged from such election. Abiola was not declared winner that is why he is refered to as the 'acclaimed' winner. If Nwosu managed to declare him winner, IBB couldnt have done anything. At most UK through UN resolution would oust shonekan if ECOWAS was reluctant to do so.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 23, 2017
saintmark88:

Y r u like this, u dnt involve in an convo to win but to sometimes educate urself.... Aboila was declared winner by delectoral chairman although he was clearly D winner on paper, but ibb annulled the election bfre d winner was annoyed by the chairman.

Adama barrow on d other hand was announced and decleared as the winner by their electoral chairman, that my friend is the first difference, secondly jammeh had conceded defeat only for him to turn 360 and say he doesn't believe in d same election that he conducted...

I'm not arguing to win bro. My point is both case scenarios (although technically different) were both condemnable as they both serve to ensure power remained with the incumbent(IBB didn't look ready to relinquish power) Or are u going to say what IBB was cool? would it happen in a sane society? abeg make una forget joor. no get time for argument too

1 Like

Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by saintmark88(m): 11:21am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

I'm not arguing to win bro. My point is both case scenarios (although technically different) were both condemnable as they both serve to ensure power remained with the incumbent(IBB didn't look ready to relinquish power) Or are u going to say what IBB was cool? would it happen in a sane society? abeg make una forget joor. no get time for argument too

Atleast ur objective enough to agree tht there r technical differences, no one is saying what ibb did was bad but the matter of contention is y didn't Ecowas act den.... The technical difference u have just admitted to is d reason Ecowas didn't act I presume...moreover then dissemination of info wasn't like what we have today, with d rise of internet, social media and all....
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 23, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:
i see everything in the world as a game of asserting power, from animals to plants to humans, each trying to subdue that which it has power over, if nigeria should have a gambia issue again today, no org can send foot soldiers into our nation, as it costs a lot, except they are to use air strike, the worst is using nigerians to attack nigerians, how many ecowas nation can face us to challenge us? none except life don tire dem, we have so many rebels already in the name of militants, from fulani herdsmen, to niger delta to biafra movements to opc to islamic fundamentalist, all those listed are armed in one way or the pther, so they can be used depending on who is on seat.
a report today said our own tinubu jet dey carry gambia jammie go exile, na d same jet dey carry guinea president, who wan question us, we run ecowas for now, with the situation of things, its not changing in the nearest future.
on au sending armed unit here, which country amongst our neighbours wan take us? from lagos to ghana 8hrs, from lagos to akwa ibom 10hrs, also consider our population, etc.
on the issue of ibb n mko, the result wasnt declared, the NEC, Nwosu no announce even though the winner was obvious as everyone could see it all, ibb did something very illegal using the law to legalize it by using a court to stop the election, so many devils dey our nation, no one wants to underestimate any, including external forces.
i just hope our sai baba no sit tight when time reach(although i dont see him sitting tight), we go just kill ourselves tire as no nation go send us military aide, na only talk we go dey hear for radio, they will only come after the civil disorder to settle us, reposition us and take our resources that might be booming by then.

That's a wonderful post. Thanks. Though it sounds scary. It seems as though we are doomed with no external aid to always help us, that's why the biafran war caused so much damage and why nothing much would be done if any president decides to sit tight.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 23, 2017
saintmark88:

Atleast ur objective enough to agree tht there r technical differences, no one is saying what ibb did was bad but the matter of contention is y didn't Ecowas act den.... The technical difference u have just admitted to is d reason Ecowas didn't act I presume...moreover then dissemination of info wasn't like what we have today, with d rise of internet, social media and all....

Hmmm. Even it were worse than Jammeh's case, I don't see ECOWAS deploying fighter jet squadrons to our borders or reading invasion troops. They'll probably impose sanctions and give ultimatums that would be ignored. Also, Nigeria has been arguably the bone of ECOMOG operations in the last two decades. Without Nigeria, ECOWAS would would have a shaky voice; and against us their resolve would be drowned. Only Western Pressure can really intimidate a Nigeria leader....I could be wrong sha
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by saintmark88(m): 11:46am On Jan 23, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Hmmm. Even it were worse than Jammeh's case, I don't see ECOWAS deploying fighter jet squadrons to our borders or reading invasion troops. They'll probably impose sanctions and give ultimatums that would be ignored. Also, Nigeria has been arguably the bone of ECOMOG operations in the last two decades. Without Nigeria, ECOWAS would would have a shaky voice; and against us their resolve would be drowned. Only Western Pressure can really intimidate a Nigeria leader....I could be wrong sha

You are not far from the truth, a nation like Nigeria with its population and size would require a stronger army.... Dnt forget tht f UN, AU, EU and other countries backed D Ecowas military unit to go into Gambia.... Same woukd happen in our case, all they need is stronger force... Probably UN troops will have to be deployed too.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 23, 2017
saintmark88:

You are not far from the truth, a nation like Nigeria with its population and size would require a stronger army.... Dnt forget tht f UN, AU, EU and other countries backed D Ecowas military unit to go into Gambia.... Same woukd happen in our case, all they need is stronger force... Probably UN troops will have to be deployed too.

And then there is the risk of leaving the country weaker and more insecure after the invasion; a haven for more conflict like Libya, for instance. I hope it never gets to that level.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by ismart: 11:59am On Jan 23, 2017
khadaffi:

As far as I know, the electoral commission never announced Abiola as the winner of that election
I know you are a Yoruba and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I was a baby when that election took place and my mother was in the opposing party (NRC) against Abiolas (SDP). It was visible to the blind and audible to the deaf that Abiola won that election.

The news was all over the whole place so what are you talking about here? In our street then if I could remember, Abiola WON on clean slate.

I really don't know why most of you Yorubas are like this. Why?
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 23, 2017
ismart:

I was a baby when that election took place and my mother was in the opposing party (NRC) against Abiolas (SDP). It was visible to the blind and audible to the deaf that Abiola won that election.

The news was all over the whole place so what are you talking about here? In our street then if I could remember, Abiola WON on clean slate.

Abiola would be rolling on his grave.
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by khadaffi(m): 2:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
ismart:

Nwosu conducted the 12 June 1993 election,
which was seen as the freest and fairest election
to date, in which Chief Moshood Abiola was
presumed to have won.
Nwosu's commission
introduced the novel Option A4 voting system and
the Open ballot system. Nwosu had released
many of the election results when he was ordered
to stop further announcement by the military
regime.
In 2008 he published a book in which he
claimed that Babangida was not to blame for
annulling the election. The book was severely
criticized for failing to accurately account for what
happened.…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Nwosu

One Coward Professor Called
Humphrey Nwosu
By
Ndiameeh Babrik
It took him 15 long agonizing years for him to claim to release the result of the June12 1993 election. But he left us the apostles of June 12 more traumatized and severely annoyed.
Not only did he try to distort facts but with impunity knowing that his master as at then and now will still pay him any way.……

www.gamji.com/article8000/NEWS8054.htm

Meanwhile go back and read Humphrey Nwosu's book -  Laying the foundation for Nigeria's democracy: my account of June 12, 1993 presidential election[2008]. He was the electoral chairman then. The man who had the power to have declared MKO the president and return him elected but refused because he was scared of IBB
Re: Why ECOWAS Silence After IBB Truncated Abiola Presidency? by khadaffi(m): 2:36pm On Jan 23, 2017
ismart:

A former chief judge of the Federal High Court,
Abuja, Justice Dahiru Saleh (retd.), who tied the
last judicial knot before the annulment of the
June 12, 1993, presidential election has
absolved former President Ibrahim Babangida
of culpability over the issue.
Saleh, while taking responsibility for the
annulment, also faulted the failure of Chief
Moshood Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the
election, to appeal his decision.
Justice Saleh had in June 1993 ordered the then
National Electoral Commission, NEC, to stop
further release of the results of the election
upon the claim that the election itself should
not have been conducted in the first place.

He had cited the mid-night ruling on June 11,
1993, by Justice Bassey Ikpeme that the
election should not hold.
The Prof. Humphrey Nwosu-led NEC had upon
the provisions of Decree 13 of 1993 which
ousted the courts from derailing the transition
programme, gone ahead to conduct the
election on June 12 which turned out to be one
of the best organised elections in the history of
the country.
Speaking toThe Interview,a magazine
publication, the former jurist fully absolved
Babangida of any role in the issue, even as he
expressed no regrets over the ruling which led
to a five-year impasse in the march towards
democracy.
Besides, several lives were lost in the agitation
for the manifestation of the mandate.
However,Vanguard recalls that Babangida in his
address to the nation cancelling the June 12
election had noted the failure of the judiciary,
which he said behaved less than satisfactorily
and alleged the use of money in the election as
he said as much as N2.1 billion was expended
by the two presidential candidates, Chief
Moshood Abiola and Alhaji Bashir Tofa.
Babangida also alleged that the election............

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/blame-not-babangida-june-12-annulment-ex-chief-judge/

Meanwhile sorry to disappoint you, I am neither a yoruba, Igbo or an hausa person. But you are free to assume I belong to anyone of them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Former President Of Nigeria Obasanjo Disgraced Again At Bbc Hard Talk (video) / 1963 Throwback Wedding Photo Of Former President Olusegun Obasanjo / EXCLUSIVE: Ike Ekweremadu To Run For Governor On APC Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.