Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! (2911 Views)

10' Dangerous Dangers Of Masturbation You Didn't Know Of. (pictures) / 13 Very Important Things Every Guy Observes In A Girl!!! / 13 Very Important Things Every Girl Observes In A Guy!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Anuoluwapo23(f): 3:16pm On Feb 03, 2017
Sexual violence is not just a woman's problem, it is something that affects us all.

Every day, people of all ages are raped and it does not only affect the victim, it also affects the family and friends. It often leaves its victims marred for life, both physically and emotionally.

Rape happens everywhere. In some cultures, the women are blamed for being raped and they are punished.

We have been done a massive disservice by keeping the reality of rape in the shadows and this has spurred the rapists to keep on carrying their wicked act.

It turns out a whole lot of people know less than nothing about rape. When it comes to what people think and understand about rape, some have a lot of misconceptions.

Below are some things you should know.

1. Most of the victims are assaulted by someone they know and trust: Most people are sexually assaulted by relatives, trusted friends or even spouse.

2. Rape is one of the most under-reported crimes: Most women who are raped tell no one about the assault for fear of being criticized and labeled. Victims who have survived rape ordeals have been reluctant to speak about it for reasons such as the stigma attached to having been raped.

3. Rape is an act of power and control and does not happen out of sexual desire: A lot of people out there have sexual desires but they don’t go around raping people. So you can’t blame it sexual desire. If you have the urge, there are people out there who are willing, why force someone unwilling.

4. Mere penetration is sufficient to constitute the offence of rape: Once you fail to prove penetration, the offence either becomes attempt to commit rape or indecent assault.

5. It’s not your fault: No one asks to be abused unless maybe you have problem. Therefore, the line of thought which blames the victim for what happened instead of holding the rapist accountable for his crime is wrong. Rape victims often times, blame themselves, believing it was because of something they did or did not do. What happened to you was a crime and you are not to blame for the assailant’s behavior.

6. Having carnal knowledge or sexual intercourse with a girl of less than 14-years even with her consent is rape because consent is immaterial here.

In the Northern part of Nigeria the definition of rape as contained under Section 282(1) of the Penal Code provides that: “A man is said to commit rape who … has sexual intercourse with a woman in any of the following circumstances:- (a) against her will; (b) without her consent; (c) with her consent, when her consent has been obtained by putting her in fear of death or of hurt; (d) with her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband and that her consent is given because she believes that he is the man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married; (e) with or without her consent when she is under fourteen years of age.

7. If you force your spouse, it is rape: Many countries including Nigeria consider sex in marriage an absolute right of the husband which can be taken with or without the consent of the wife. The very act of a woman refusing sex is unthinkable. Whether we agree or not, this is the truth.

Here is what the law says: Section 282, Cap 89 Penal Code Laws of the Federation says: “A man is said to commit rape who has sexual intercourse with a woman in any of the following circumstance: against her will; without her consent; with her consent, when the consent is obtained by putting her in fear of death or of hurt..."

In the South of Nigeria, the meaning of rape as enshrined in section 357 Cap C38 of Criminal Code states: “Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a woman or girl, without her consent, or with her consent if the consent is obtained by force or by means of threat or intimidation of any kind, or by fear of harm, or by means of false or fraudulent representation as to the nature of the act or, in the case of married woman, by personating her husband, is guilty of an offence which is called rape.”

God Protect Us All

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 03, 2017
Bla bla bla....

Rape, just like every other social vice can't be stopped. Women will continue getting raped, today, tomorrow, and forever. Rapists will keep on existing. Typing error-ridden essays will not stop it. You either deal with it or you keep on wasting your time typing nonsense.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Anuoluwapo23(f): 3:25pm On Feb 03, 2017
undecided undecidedSo U feel u can talk?
Looke:
Bla bla bla....

Rape, just like every other social vice can't be stopped. Women will continue getting raped, today, tomorrow, and forever. Rapists will keep on existing. Typing error-ridden essays will not stop it. You either deal with it or you keep on wasting your time typing nonsense.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by makydebbie(f): 3:31pm On Feb 03, 2017
Nice one op. I hardly read things about rape and sexual assault....it takes the grace of God to be raped and still overcome the trauma that comes with it. I really admire such people.

But I disagree with your number seven. When your wife says no and you force her, its more like sexual harassment than rape.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anuoluwapo23:

Yes I can. At least I have something useful to say, unlike you.

And its people like you that help increase the number of Rapists. Look at how indecently dressed you are, with your unflattering makeup and filter draped face and exposed over-sagged boobs.

Just looking at you can drive someone to rape.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2017
Assuming the govrmnt says, everybody should register their boyfriend/
girlfriend,or wife/ husband before feb 14 2017 and you try to register yours and the machine tells you,"sorry the person you are registering has already been registered!!!,"What wil you do?

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 03, 2017
Looke:

And its people like you that help increase the number of Rapists. Look at how indecently dressed you are, with your ugly makeup and filter draped face and exposed over-sagged boobs.

You need serious counselling

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2017
Muafrika2:

You need serious counselling
On what?
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anuoluwapo23:
Sexual violence is not just a woman's problem, it is something that affects us all.

Every day, people of all ages are raped and it does not only affect the victim, it also affects the family and friends. It often leaves its victims marred for life, both physically and emotionally.

Rape happens everywhere. In some cultures, the women are blamed for being raped and they are punished.

We have been done a massive disservice by keeping the reality of rape in the shadows and this has spurred the rapists to keep on carrying their wicked act.

It turns out a whole lot of people know less than nothing about rape. When it comes to what people think and understand about rape, some have a lot of misconceptions.

Below are some things you should know.

1. Most of the victims are assaulted by someone they know and trust: Most people are sexually assaulted by relatives, trusted friends or even spouse.

2. Rape is one of the most under-reported crimes: Most women who are raped tell no one about the assault for fear of being criticized and labeled. Victims who have survived rape ordeals have been reluctant to speak about it for reasons such as the stigma attached to having been raped.

3. Rape is an act of power and control and does not happen out of sexual desire: A lot of people out there have sexual desires but they don’t go around raping people. So you can’t blame it sexual desire. If you have the urge, there are people out there who are willing, why force someone unwilling.

4. Mere penetration is sufficient to constitute the offence of rape: Once you fail to prove penetration, the offence either becomes attempt to commit rape or indecent assault.

5. It’s not your fault: No one asks to be abused unless maybe you have problem. Therefore, the line of thought which blames the victim for what happened instead of holding the rapist accountable for his crime is wrong. Rape victims often times, blame themselves, believing it was because of something they did or did not do. What happened to you was a crime and you are not to blame for the assailant’s behavior.

6. Having carnal knowledge or sexual intercourse with a girl of less than 14-years even with her consent is rape because consent is immaterial here.

In the Northern part of Nigeria the definition of rape as contained under Section 282(1) of the Penal Code provides that: “A man is said to commit rape who … has sexual intercourse with a woman in any of the following circumstances:- (a) against her will; (b) without her consent; (c) with her consent, when her consent has been obtained by putting her in fear of death or of hurt; (d) with her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband and that her consent is given because she believes that he is the man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married; (e) with or without her consent when she is under fourteen years of age.

7. If you force your spouse, it is rape: Many countries including Nigeria consider sex in marriage an absolute right of the husband which can be taken with or without the consent of the wife. The very act of a woman refusing sex is unthinkable. Whether we agree or not, this is the truth.

Here is what the law says: Section 282, Cap 89 Penal Code Laws of the Federation says: “A man is said to commit rape who has sexual intercourse with a woman in any of the following circumstance: against her will; without her consent; with her consent, when the consent is obtained by putting her in fear of death or of hurt..."

In the South of Nigeria, the meaning of rape as enshrined in section 357 Cap C38 of Criminal Code states: “Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a woman or girl, without her consent, or with her consent if the consent is obtained by force or by means of threat or intimidation of any kind, or by fear of harm, or by means of false or fraudulent representation as to the nature of the act or, in the case of married woman, by personating her husband, is guilty of an offence which is called rape.”

God Protect Us All
another great piece my dear... More grease to ur elbow.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 03, 2017
Looke:

On what?
On rape undecided
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Anuoluwapo23(f): 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2017
No In the court of law it's Rape
makydebbie:
Nice one op. I hardly read things about rape and sexual assault....it takes the grace of God to be raped and still overcome the trauma that comes with it. I really admire such people.

But I disagree with your number seven. When your wife says no and you force her, its more like sexual harassment than rape.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Anuoluwapo23(f): 4:01pm On Feb 03, 2017
Thanks
YellowEyeBalls:
another great piece my dear... More grease to ur elbow.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Anuoluwapo23(f): 4:05pm On Feb 03, 2017
Weldon Great Piece
Looke:

And its people like you that help increase the number of Rapists. Look at how indecently dressed you are, with your ugly makeup and filter draped face and exposed over-sagged boobs.

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by kureshi007: 4:09pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anuoluwapo23:
No In the court of law it's Rape
chai! look at the two of you ( makydebbie ) trying too hard to differentiate a simple concept.rape is a form of sexual harassment, quit the mediocre argument!
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anuoluwapo23:
Weldon Great Piece

Its "well done"

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 03, 2017
Looke:

Nothing shows your level of stupidity better than justifying an irresponsible act

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 03, 2017
Aderola15:

Nothing shows your level of stupidity better than justifying an irresponsible act

I am not justifying rape. Everyone knows rape is bad, even the people that commit rape. But my point that is that you all should stop wasting ink writing nonsense essays about something that can't be stopped. Whatever you write or discuss online about rape can never deter a rapist from raping.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by thehedge(f): 4:17pm On Feb 03, 2017
Looke:
Bla bla bla....

wacko alert
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by kureshi007: 4:19pm On Feb 03, 2017
Aderola15:

cut the crap! nothing is unjustifiable, that is why we have "hearing" before prosecution. there is always a reason for doing anything. there is freedom to be heard!

everything looks stupid in the eyes of the stupid. we have an imperfect system governing imperfect beings.

"irresponsible act" but you couldn't detect from the guy's assertion of justifying 'irresponsible dressing'.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by GrandMufti: 4:20pm On Feb 03, 2017
Looke:
Bla bla bla....

Take am easy na
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 03, 2017
makydebbie:

But I disagree with your number seven. When your wife says no and you force her,it's more like sexual harassment than rape.
Could a man harass his own wife again?.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Gizele(f): 4:38pm On Feb 03, 2017
Anuoluwapo23:
Plagiarism is an offence that has very serious legal repercussions. It's funny how you would post a seemingly well informed composition about commiting an offence while you're simultaneously doing the exact same thing.

It's very obvious you didn't write or read the post, all you had to say to Looke was that you understand that rape occurs (as written in the post) and you were just giving insightful information.

For future purposes, make sure you cite the original author and not take credit for another's persons work. Stealing is also an irresponsible act.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2017
Benita27:
For sexual harassment- no actual sex occurs, however, one party makes an unwanted sexual advance towards another. This includes verbal language, lewd suggestions, or physical contact to any part of the body.

So I'll say it is possible a man sexually harass his wife

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110725145222AAZfGHL

makydebbie:

For rape- actual sex has to occur, this includes the penetration or violation of all bodily openings, including the anus, vagina and mouth. The sex must be unwelcome by one party OR performed upon someone not capable of giving consent

A man can forcefully perpetrate his wife. Such action is RAPE.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by makydebbie(f): 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2017
Benita27:
Yes dear, especially when the other party is against it.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by makydebbie(f): 5:05pm On Feb 03, 2017
TheSlyone2:

For sexual harassment- no actual sex occurs, however, one party makes an unwanted sexual advance towards another. This includes verbal language, lewd suggestions, or physical contact to any part of the body.

So I'll say it is possible a man sexually harass his wife

For rape- actual sex has to occur, this includes the penetration or violation of all bodily openings, including the anus, vagina and mouth. The sex must be unwelcome by one party OR performed upon someone not capable of giving consent

A man can forcefully perpetrate his wife. Such action is RAPE.

That's his wife he's entitled to it. You can't call a stranger with a stranger "rape" and call husband and wife "rape" too.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 03, 2017
makydebbie:
That's his wife he's entitled to it. You can't call a stranger with a stranger "rape" and call husband and wife "rape" too.
Dee, the bond between husband and wife ends the moment both of them are in discord with each other.

Sex has to be a mutual and consensual thing. So, if one party isn't in the mood, any Form of coercion or force will be counted as rape.

I get your point, Dee. They are both engaged, hence the man has every right to penetrate his wife anytime he deemed fit. Well, that's very wrong.

There are times wife or even man may not be in the mood for sex. There are times the woman might be in some sort of quarrel with the husband. So engaging her forcefully during those period is punishable by law. That's if the wife care to charge him to court.

Most ladies are dying in silence because of the fear of a possible end to their marriage

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Gizele(f): 5:13pm On Feb 03, 2017
makydebbie:
Are you unable to read?

Any penetration without consent is rape. Simple. Your mentality is so primitive. You lost soul.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 03, 2017
Gizele:

[s] Are you unable to read?

Any penetration without consent is rape. Simple. You mentality is so primitive. You lost soul.[/s]
Ha.

Why insulting her? That's uncalled for.

Am sure makydebbie knows, but she always like to argue. And one beautiful thing about argument is how convincing you could be.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Gizele(f): 5:19pm On Feb 03, 2017
TheSlyone2:

Ha.

Why insulting her? That's uncalled for.

Am sure makydebbie knows, but she always like to argue. And one beautiful thing about argument is the point you make.

I find it difficult to tolerate morons. But you are right. Thank you.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by makydebbie(f): 5:24pm On Feb 03, 2017
Gizele:

Are you unable to read?

Any penetration without consent is rape. Simple. You mentality is so primitive. You lost soul.
Are you okay? What right have you to call me a lost soul?
Don't quote me next time if you can't talk like a reasonable and sensible person.
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by makydebbie(f): 5:27pm On Feb 03, 2017
TheSlyone2:

Dee, the bond between husband and wife ends the moment both of them are in discord with each other.

Sex has to be a mutual and consensual thing. So, if one party isn't in the mood, any Form of coercion or force will be counted as rape.

I get your point, Dee. They are both engaged, hence the man has every right to penetrate his wife anytime he deemed fit. Well, that's very wrong.

There are times wife or even man may not be in the mood for sex. There are times the woman might be in some sort of quarrel with the husband. So engaging her forcefully during those period is punishable by law. That's if the wife care to charge him to court.

Most ladies are dying in silence because of the fear of a possible end to their marriage
Okay
Re: 7 Important Things You Didn't Know About Rape! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2017
makydebbie:
Are you okay? What right have you to call me a lost soul?
Don't quote me next time if you can't talk like a reasonable and sensible person.

She is more reasonable and sensible than you can ever dream to be.

Lol. Isn't someone who doesn't know something as basic as the definition of rape a lost soul?

I am surprised you even had the courage to reply someone so intellectually superior to you. I thought you'd be mourning your gross level of ignorance, instead of writing a retort to further substantiate your intellectual mediocrity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Places Broke Guys Normally Propose To Their Girlfriends / Ladies In Hijab Showing Their Curves / Reason Why Girls Love Sex So Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.