Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) - Sports (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) (43264 Views)

Poll: What's your prediction?

Nigeria wins: 63% (118 votes)
Egypt wins: 23% (44 votes)
Draw: 12% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Egypt Vs Nigeria: Player Rating / Egypt Vs Nigeria AFCON Qualifier: 1 - 0 on 29th March 2016 / Sweden Vs Nigeria (3 - 3) Fifa Women's World Cup On 8th June, 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by stanloski(m): 9:17am On Jan 13, 2010
I think there was an honest mistake by the NFF, other nations sent thier NATIONAL TEAMS but Nigeria sent the NATIONAL DRAMA TROUPE! WE SENT PAPA AJASCO AND HIS CREW!  cheesy Ridiculous!
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lordimpaq(m): 9:21am On Jan 13, 2010
dayokanu:

The problem with our football is that most Nigerians are too sentimental and cant see anything wrong with our heroes

Talking of sentimental aren't you sentimental about the bundesliga players, oh dk, please, be objective.

dayokanu:

Defensively he was a liability, attacking he was a liability. couldnt make attacking moves except his trade mark sideways passes

that doesn't mean he's a liability, does it?  come on

dayokanu:

I idolise Essien and Drogba I guess they are not playing in the same EPL Mikel, Aiyegbeni and Yobo play in. You dont need to strain your eyes to see quality.

yeah rite, quality in your own eyes

dayokanu:

The best 2 players on the field from both sides are Mohammed Zidan- Dortmund and Chinedu Ogbuke- Hoffenheim. both Bundesliga. Coincidence?

i beg to differ on that, what bloddy coincidence, coincidence only seen by an astute supporter of the Bundesliga, you are not objective enough.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dewoy: 9:21am On Jan 13, 2010
Egypt

El Hadary: 6 - Could not get near Obasi's opener but was solid and brave in the majority of his tasks. Nigeria could not truly pressure the veteran.

Gomaa: 7 - A rock at the back for the Pharaohs. A much more physical presence than his two defensive colleagues and was not afraid to throw his weight, and indeed his body, around.

Said: 6 - One of Egypt's most important players, Said gave the likes of Uche and Yakubu little or nothing to work with. Was on hand consistently with key blocks and interceptions.

Fathallah: 6 - Did not start at all well, being turned inside out by Obasi, but his performance levelled after the break.

Fathi: 7 - Constantly raided the right flank against the defensively shy Taiwo. He made a lot of the running, leading to numerous openings for Egypt. He was given the freedom of the wing thanks to Nigeria's narrow midfield.

Moawad: 8 - An outstanding performance from the Ahly wing-back. His tireless energy provided a vital outlet for his side throughout. His game was best typified in the final minutes, when he robbed Kanu to set up Geddo's goal.

Hassan: 9 - The veteran showed the younger midfielders on the other side how it is supposed to be done. Dropped off, into the correct areas, in order to find the right passes. Deserved the luck he got on his strike.

Ghaly: 5.5 - A relatively quiet showing for the former Tottenham Hotspur man.

Hosni: 6 - Not an all action display by any means but last time's player of the tournament was nonetheless involved. Launched attacks through his vision and might have nicked one goal himself.

Zidan: 8 - One of Africa's finest strikers. A selfless display from the Dortmund man, running himself into the ground. He gave the Nigerian back-line no time to settle and was a constant menace. Could have had a brace on another day.

Moteab: 7.5 - Took his goal well but will feel he should have added at least one more. Made all the right runs and was rewarded for his efforts.

Substitutions

El Mohamady: 7 - Continued Fathi's fine work on the right.

Geddo: 7.5 - A great cameo from a potential breakout talent.

Abdelshafi: n/a

Nigeria

Enyeama: 6.5 - Made a number of crucial saves and displayed confident handling. Well beaten on the goals.

Yussuf: 4.5 - A poor outing. Suffered, like the rest of his backline, from lapses in concentration and used the ball ineffectively when he crossed the half-way line.

Yobo: 5 - More was expected from the captain of the Super Eagles. He failed to lead the defensive line with any sort of authority and has not formed an effective partnership with Nwaneri.

Nwaneri: 6 - The Sion man was guilty of ball watching in the run up to Moteab's goal and will not be happy with his level of performance.

Taiwo: 6 - At least offered something going forward since he could not stem the Egyptian crosses on his defensive flank.

Ayila: 6 - An effective fulcrum in midfield, willing to take and use the ball but did not want to know once his side went two behind.

Etuhu: 5 - Looked rudderless at times, like a spare man in the middle. Was neither defensive anchor like Ayila nor playmaker like Mikel.

Mikel: 7 - Why was he taken off? Nigeria's most capable playmaker was withdrawn despite being the only midfielder responsible enough to take hold of the ball and try to make something happen. Needs to brush up on his pass selection but the Super Eagles are a better side with him, rather than without.

Obasi: 8.5 - The best player in green on the day. His goal was a joy to behold and his skill, pace and trickery gave the likes of Fathallah a torrid time. To think, his place in the squad, let alone the team, was in doubt. He must start, even if Martins is fit.

Uche: 5 - Leaned back on his only true chance and was not the mobile point of reference he needed to be.

Yakubu: 5 - Still working his way back to fitness and was way off the pace here.

Substitutions

Obinna: n/a Scarcely got a look in.

Kanu: n/a Robbed in the run up to Egypt's third.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by 2tait: 9:24am On Jan 13, 2010
Egypt 3 Nigeria 1 Final score.

Nigeria will still make an impact in this Nations cup.
I see Nigeria getting to the semi final.
As normal with the bird eagle, the Super Eagles will rejuvenate and excel.
Watch out!
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by dayokanu(m): 9:28am On Jan 13, 2010
i beg to differ on that, what bloddy coincidence, coincidence only seen by an astute supporter of the Bundesliga, you are not objective enough

Bring out any ranking that wouldnt have Obasi as the best Nigerian player or Zidan as the best Egyptian player.

Those are the only 2 Bundesliga reps on the field.

that doesn't mean he's a liability, does it? come on

Attacking he doesnt do anything, Defensive he doesnt do either. DOes that qualify as an asset to the team?
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Ojumiii(m): 9:30am On Jan 13, 2010
Legend Kanu has fade out

Amodu: is a couch who does not know what to do when his team is under pressure, all he always pray for is miracle
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by kolaoloye(m): 9:31am On Jan 13, 2010
2tait:

Egypt 3 Nigeria 1 Final score.

Nigeria will still make an impact in this Nations cup.
I see Nigeria getting to the semi final.
As normal with the bird eagle, the Super Eagles will rejuvenate and excel.
Watch out!
Here comes the dreamer of the century. grin
Did you watch the match at all?
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by famochy(m): 9:37am On Jan 13, 2010
I have always known pairing nwaneri and yobo is a disaster.for God sake what is enyeama do at the mid field,dat is very bad
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by deliverus: 9:42am On Jan 13, 2010
Nigeria had a better BALL Possession cheesy. Our ball possession in next match will be better than the first. We should not be worried about the goals but rather ball possession grin. Word of advise "If you concentrate on the ball possession you will not get heart attack but if you concentrate on the goals then u will end up in the hostipal" grin grin grin grin
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Xeon: 9:46am On Jan 13, 2010

AMUDO IS TO BLAME

1.AMOUDU IS NOT A COACH  ,WHY SHOULA A COCH COMPLAIN A PLAYER WAS FORCED ON HIM WHEN HE KNOWS IF THEY FAIL HE IS  TO BLAME.
 NO INTERGRITY ALL HE KNOWS IS MONEY

2.AMUDO DOSE NOT HAVE  ANY TECHNICAL SKILL ALL HE DOSE IS WAIT TILL SECOND HALF AND BRING IN KANU HE DOSENT DO ANY OTHER  MATCH READING FROM MATCH TO MATCH HE DOSE THE SAME THING  WHAT A JUNK COACH
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Xeon: 9:47am On Jan 13, 2010
AMUDO IS TO BLAME

1.AMOUDU IS NOT A COACH ,WHY SHOULA A COCH COMPLAIN A PLAYER WAS FORCED ON HIM WHEN HE KNOWS IF THEY FAIL HE IS TO BLAME.
NO INTERGRITY ALL HE KNOWS IS MONEY

2.AMUDO DOSE NOT HAVE ANY TECHNICAL SKILL ALL HE DOSE IS WAIT TILL SECOND HALF AND BRING IN KANU HE DOSENT DO ANY OTHER MATCH READING FROM MATCH TO MATCH HE DOSE THE SAME THING WHAT A JUNK COACH
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by namdo(m): 9:48am On Jan 13, 2010
@2tait
They better do or they would be disbanded after this one, with their 'coach' too.

I am not a football analyst but can't we get a strong team from a list of our recent u-21 and u-17 squads and mix them with Osaze, Nsofor, Obasi, Kalu & Sodje 'cos the rest right now are spent forces (they have paid their dues and need to stay away from the team)? In my opinion Keshi and Siasia and Amokachi can make a good selection for us from the past u17/u21 teams after the 2010 world cup and build from there.

As it stands, i don't even think we can beat Mozambique and Benin unless Nsofor and Obasi run into plenty lucks - not missing chances and Yobo and his back liners get over their pride and laziness.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 9:50am On Jan 13, 2010
Early days. . .the next match will decide!
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by FBS: 9:51am On Jan 13, 2010
@ DK, I ask you, how many runs did TT make yesterday?
How did Ayila and Etuhu contribute? Please I want to know?
Yak, Uche, Yusuf, Yobo, Nwaneri - just what did they do on the pitch after 30 mins?

MOTM - Obasi and I'm sure no one will contest that. We all unlike you say it as it is. keep blabbing about hero worshipping there. grin
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by geepee200: 9:54am On Jan 13, 2010
Nigerian player are murons, they don't have good midfielder cheesy kiss
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by RSA(m): 9:55am On Jan 13, 2010
Nigeria is going down,your players cannot run,I think majority are in their late thirties.Having witness your uselss team now I have a renewed hope in South Africa to do well during the world cup.

My predictions are Naija will win 1-0 against Benin and lose with the same margin against Mozambique.Egypt and Moz will go through this group.

I have alsways admired the Naija players,but have always maintain that the Supe Eagle as team suck big time.Just like anything Nigerian they win games and tournaments with their mouths.Can you believe that most of think Nigeria is a leading football and the best African football team? Yet in all their history they've won the cup that is played every two years just twice? only twice?

African powerhouses are Egypt,Ghana,Cameroon.Nigeria is not there yet,hope they won't disgrace us during the World Cup.I wish you people learn to sometime shut your mouths and speak with your actions.Intelligent people do that.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by maxtop(m): 10:00am On Jan 13, 2010
I am not surprised, we all know we cant beat the Egyptians, grin grin grin
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by geepee200: 10:01am On Jan 13, 2010
papa ajasco, ur very funny
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by namdo(m): 10:03am On Jan 13, 2010
who be dis RSA? Taaaaaaa! which time SA sabi play football. even dis team that lost to Egypt would trash SA team as it is today. I won't say much on dis, na waste of time. cool
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:03am On Jan 13, 2010
Early days yet, as FBS said.

However there are gaps in our formation strategy that is evidenced throughout the game, questionable performance by some players especially in the mid-field and at the back (I won't mention names before some EPL fans maul me). Then again you could say Coach Amodu had a plan for Egypt that failed, he cannot adopt the same strategy for other teams unless they have similar playing characteristics.

Like i said. Early days yet
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Moranike: 10:08am On Jan 13, 2010
I can't believe dat we can a goal and not be able to hold on to it, i wonder why kanu should be brought in so late , and what was yakubu doing for 90 mins, i don't like the combination of yobo and nwaneri, see haw they let our goal keeper out. i wonder why taiwo should be letting the out, infact i'm totally disgusted with the whole team. Bull shittttt
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by ilodibe: 10:09am On Jan 13, 2010
stanloski:

I think there was an honest mistake by the NFF, other nations sent thier NATIONAL TEAMS but Nigeria sent the NATIONAL DRAMA TROUPE! WE SENT PAPA AJASCO AND HIS CREW!  cheesy Ridiculous!
that's unfair,we shouldn't be depressed by the defeat, the eagles can still make it to the last 4,with the defeat i believe they will wake up and get ready for there next matches
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by iyaegin: 10:15am On Jan 13, 2010
In any football team at this level you have to balance experience with youthful fluidity which was wat the egyptians possessed, one of their players was playing his 8th Nations cup and so many times they left us flat footed although obasi too exposed their left back couple of times,here's my player assessment.

1. Enyeama:Average performance had no reason to come out that far for the 1st goal should ave limited his distance to intimidate the egyptian striker, might have helped

2. Mohammed: below average performance,zerro experience at this level which was glaring, i dunno if odiah is injured he would have probably fared better

3.Yobo: had a fair game and was just ok

4. Nwaneri: was totally AWFUL and should not be fielded against benin, kept being outrun by habeeb n the likes

5. Taiwo: had an ok game but amodu should have given echejile or odiah a chance during the second half to help run down along the flanks

6. Ayila: Was not confident and may a below average game

7. Etuhu: Ethu who was he on that pitch he should have been replaced by kanu and not mikel which to me was a disastrous decision by    amodu

8. Mikel: had an ok game to me and should have been pulled back to defensive midfield when kanu was introduced, he had two clear chances on Goal when he could have taken shots at goal but as usual his lack of confidence had him trying to pass instead and when eventually he took a shot on goal he blasted it far and very wide

9. Uche: started off well but fizzled out after the first 20mins and just was never in the game after that, he was obviously a replacement for unfit osaze so we're not expecting him on saturday against benin cos osaze should be back by then

10.Yakubu: has not yet fully regained his form after his long injury lay off and it brings to fore amodu's handicap between experienced and upcoming players.yakubu and obafemi were not fully fit for this competition why did obafemi still have to come instead of being dropped for inform but unfortunate eneramo.Yak was just not in the match yesterday

11. Obasi: our star man of yesterday even though to be sincere all his hardwork of the 1st half seemed to have got him tired but the 2nd half but he had a good game and justified his inclusion in the team

Forget about the substitutes they were not in the game not papilo nor nsofor so we wait for our next game hoping for the best
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Iyineda(m): 10:28am On Jan 13, 2010
My ratings for yesterday's SE team:

Enyeama: 6 - He didn't make any huge mistake, but he clearly wasn't at his best looking at the 3rd Egyptian goal.

Yusuf: 4.5 - Desent 1st half, mediocre second half; he was not consistent at all.

Yobo: 4 - My biggest disappointment. He looked very shaky when put under pressure by Zidan.

Nwaneri: 4.5 - Very sloppy in the back despite being the hardest working defender of the match.

Taiwo: 5.5 - Neither impressive when going forward nor while defending. However he was one of the few who poised as a potential threat to the Egyptians.

Ayila: 6 - Very discret but efficient game. Clean areial passing.

Etuhu: 6 - One of the better players on the field, although he wasn't able to supply leathal passes when in position to do so.

Mikel: 6.5 - He played his Chelsea turf in the 1st half. When Nigeria was 2-1 down, he offered quite a few options but was quickly withdrawn. . . mistakenly so.

Obasi: 7.5 - Clearly the best man in green. Constantly a pest for the left flank of the Egyptian side. Subsided during the last 15 minutes of the match.

Uche: 5.5 - Missed a clear shot on goal . Erratic effort.

Yakubu: 3.5 - Not in the game. Some of the blame has to be put on his positioning on the field and the lack of creativity of the midfield.

Substitutions

Nsofor: n/a - Ineffective.

Kanu: n/a - Culprit of the last goal Nigeria conceeded in a flash counter attack. Didn't have time to exploit the ball.

THE TEAM'S OVERALL AVERAGE = 5.4
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Ibomade1: 10:29am On Jan 13, 2010
What a drubbing. My eye no even fit take am.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by ochukoccna: 10:35am On Jan 13, 2010
[size=18pt]Tactically inept coach + lazy players = disaster in a world cup year. Are Nigerians not jokers if they believe they can blitz through Argentina, Greece and South Korea in South Africa? Group B just threw up the group's whipping boys courtesy of AFCON 2010. Best of luck to Nigeria's sore a$$[/size]
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by asunaobi(m): 10:37am On Jan 13, 2010
RSA:

Nigeria is going down,your players cannot run,I think majority are in their late thirties.Having witness your uselss team now I have a renewed hope in South Africa to do well during the world cup.

My predictions are Naija will win 1-0 against Benin and lose with the same margin against Mozambique.Egypt and Moz will go through this group.

I have alsways admired the Naija players,but have always maintain that the Supe Eagle as team suck big time.Just like anything Nigerian they win games and tournaments with their mouths.Can you believe that most of think Nigeria is a leading football and the best African football team? Yet in all their history they've won the cup that is played every two years just twice? only twice?

African powerhouses are Egypt,Ghana,Cameroon.Nigeria is not there yet,hope they won't disgrace us during the World Cup.I wish you people learn to sometime shut your mouths and speak with your actions.Intelligent people do that.

You nailed it my dear! It is only the relatives of a mad person that feels the shame, a mad person feels no shame because a mad person doesnt care. We have failed ourselves, we have failed Africa and we have failed the world.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by harmeenut: 10:38am On Jan 13, 2010
today's training was revealing. abeg, when is our first match scheduled for?

LMFAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Iyineda(m): 10:41am On Jan 13, 2010
Analogy between top 5 African teams and their European counterparts:

- Egypt = Italy
- Cameroon = Germany
- Ghana = England
- Nigeria = France grin
- CIV = Spain

I know this has nothing to do with yesterday's match but I was just wondering what you guys think about the analogy. smiley
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by ochukoccna: 10:41am On Jan 13, 2010
Iyineda:

My ratings for yesterday's SE team:

Enyeama: 6 - He didn't make any huge mistake, but he clearly wasn't at his best looking at the 3rd Egyptian goal.

[size=18pt]BIG FAT LIE! [/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked
While a flat defense line was the main culprit for the first goal, did he have to rush out like a child going to collect his promised candy by his father who just got home? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Dull reflexes for the 3rd goal. While the shot was well positioned, it was taken from way out of the 18 yard area and lacked the venom of Obasi's goal and Egypt's 2nd goal. Face it, he was poor on those 2 occasions regardless of the other saves he made.
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by mykali(m): 10:44am On Jan 13, 2010
God bless Ogbuke Obasi. homey made me proud
Re: African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) by Iyineda(m): 10:46am On Jan 13, 2010
ochukoccna:

[size=18pt]BIG FAT LIE! [/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked
While a flat defense line was the main culprit for the first goal, did he have to rush out like a child going to collect his promised candy by his father who just got home? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Dull reflexes for the 3rd goal. While the shot was well positioned, it was taken from way out of the 18 yard area and lacked the venom of Obasi's goal and Egypt's 2nd goal. Face it, he was poor on those 2 occasions regardless of the other saves he made.
embarassed embarassed

cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (38) (Reply)

Emiliano Sala:- Cushions 'From Missing Plane' Found / Chichi Igbo Threatens To Snatch Boyfriends From Sexy Ladies (video) / Different Nigerians' Reactions To Nigeria 4: 0 Win Over Libya (Memes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.