Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,332 members, 7,836,400 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business (42948 Views)

Sunmonu Succeeds Aig-imoukhuede As Chairman, Wapic Insurance Plc / MUST READ: Ways To Help Ensure Your Business Succeeds / Innoson EFCC Arrest & The GTB Loan: "Innoson Stop Playing The Igbo Tribe Card" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by lordyugo: 7:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
shamecurls:

No mind dem!

Na there way!

Wetin no show for there body.....

Intelligence that can't salvage there region grin grin grin from exporting human resource to all nooks and crannies of Nigeria.

so the Chinese, lebanese, indians, s africans , jews that exported human resources to nooks nd crannies of the world came from regions that need salvaging.
U see the difference in mindset of those who increase their capital base nd those who cant, who fail to realise in order to grow u hv to move out nd conquer other regions
food for thought if hate will let u think

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by madridsta007(m): 7:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
holamiday:
Guy get out of my face. I don't do tribal nonsense. I only passed a comment.

Haha! We all read. We all see.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Klington: 7:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
faithugo64:
Igbo kwenu!

Kwenu!!

Kwezuenu!!!

Etere ugba

Etere ose

Nke bu eziokwu bu

Igbo Amaka

Chukwu goziri anyi

Nyekwa anyi ogugu isi di egwu

Maka ndi anya ufu down there

Onye si na Ihe oma adighi ya mma
Ya gaa kata onugbo taa
nna gi můrů biko.....
Okwu gi kwu ôtõ ka amû grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by shamecurls(m): 7:36pm On Feb 12, 2017
lordyugo:

so the Chinese, lebanese, indians, s africans , jews that exported human resources to nooks nd crannies of the world came from regions that need salvaging.
U see the difference in mindset of those who increase their capital base nd those who cant, who fail to realise in order to grow u hv to move out nd conquer other regions
food for thought if hate will let u think

Keep encouraging yourself. Human capital base thats not telling in the villages that where opportuned to be given states. Keep increasing Human capital base. Thank God you mention China and India and Lebanon, These re places your region will never be like in 150 years time even though you increase what you call "Human Capital Base" a trillion times. You guys re leaches but you wont accept.
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Omeny: 7:36pm On Feb 12, 2017
DirtyGold:
Whitewashing lies! The Igbos seem to be successful because they've perfected the art of greed and dubiousness. All they care about is money; regardless of how or what they will do to get it. And ofcourse, when something is your stock in trade, you'll device all sorts of tricks and gimmicks to keep your interest afloat (that is when creativity, resilience and courage comes into play). You are thinking of how to help them, they are on the other hand thinking of how to cheat you! Tufiakwa

I have a first hand experience with them so nobody should quote me to tell me shit.

What's tha business?

Help 'them' or 'them' helping u?

How many of Ibos have u come across to base ur assumption on this ur dubious opinion?

I really hate stereotyping and generalizing pple as behaving same way.

Everybody can't behave same way not even. Identical twins talk-less of a Nation like the Ibos.
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by lordyugo: 7:37pm On Feb 12, 2017
bigtiny10:
And whenever I try to be innocuous in my posts on nairaland, some ïdiot will always show up to advertise the prevalent stüpidity genes in his lineage. Wetin konsign this matter and common sense now? Your propinquity to making such reference shows that you really do have "common sense". If your people weren't targets of the so-called 5k-trick, I expect your majority to be in the comfort of their huts; not getting banged in brothels, selling plantain chips in Lagos traffic and leading in the statistical mode of Nigerian drug peddlers. You were resilient in a war where odds were stacked against you and fought for a lost cause, that's sheer stüpidity not bravery. You were so "smart" you saw through the deceptions of the 5k-stipend program, yet we all know how the Rivers gubernatorial rerun went down. I salute your PhD for Mumulogy.

am sure u wr not taught redundancy and verbosity in skul
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 12, 2017
The apprentice system is worth emulating
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by lordyugo: 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
leonene:
Igbo's are d successful business men n women right?

But where are they in Africa ranking for example.

1. Dangote, he is not a successful business man? How many Igbo's can compete with his daughter come to talk of Dangote.

2. Mike Adenuga which Igbo man can have good business acumen d way d man is?

3. Femi Otedela an oil baron is he not a successful business man?

4. Folaroshon Alakija the third Africa richest woman how many Igbo woman has been rank to that level.

Igbo's Men n Women I know them of doing small scale business (Petty Business) That is all.............

first of all those u mentioned got there wit d help of the govt or politicians thats why other regions have few billionaires and many broke ppl but SE hv multi millionaires and millionaires evenly spread out and that is a mark of a blessed region

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by gratieao: 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
DirtyGold:
Whitewashing lies! The Igbos seem to be successful because they've perfected the art of greed and dubiousness. All they care about is money; regardless of how or what they will do to get it. And ofcourse, when something is your stock in trade, you'll device all sorts of tricks and gimmicks to keep your interest afloat (that is when creativity, resilience and courage comes into play). You are thinking of how to help them, they are on the other hand thinking of how to cheat you! Tufiakwa

I have a first hand experience with them so nobody should quote me to tell me shit.

What's tha business?
you self fit help person?
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Klington: 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
My pepol no dey fall hand 4 business nah,igbo man can make something out of nothing grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Omeny: 7:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
holamiday:
I am a pure-blooded Afonja but i admit the igbo man is all that and even more. If given adequate support, the igbo man can single-handedly industrialize Nigeria and take us to that height in production we've really sought for decades on end.

Well, you forgot to add that the igbo man is also criminally minded & un-trustworthy. This vice still helps him succeed in business anyways.

Am also not Ibo.

But I rather believe and trust an Ibo man than a cunning and double mouthed Afonja.

That's a fact.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by lordyugo: 7:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
shamecurls:

Keep encouraging yourself. Human capital base thats not telling in the villages that where opportuned to be given states. Keep increasing Human capital base. Thank God you mention China and India and Lebanon, These re places your region will never be like in 150 years time even though you increase what you call "Human Capital Base" a trillion times. You guys re leaches but you wont accept.

fight that afonja genetic malfunction of fear and laziness to leave their comfort zones nd travel out and u would b amazed that SE dnt hv villages,everywhr littered wit mansions.
stop contradicting ur points , u said its only ppl wit bleeped up regions export human capital but now u r saying the guys I mentioned hv developed regions, lastime I chkd SE REGION is in nigeria so u saying it cant be like other countries is u yabbing ur country, hilarious

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by MissBN(f): 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
DirtyGold:

What's tha business?
lol, you're pained...

Ok, So You hate money or you wish you're Igbo?

Look at who is thinking bout helping an already sucessful Igbo man... Mtchew

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by nwabobo: 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
Twistaray:

Lies.

It's been debunked

You can choose any headline you want the message remains the same. A similar study was carried out here in the UK with same conclusion. I'll look for it and post the link here.
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by elsomm(m): 8:13pm On Feb 12, 2017
gabazin080:
na wa o. so na only ibo dey succeed for business abi.
i guess dangote is also an ibo man

The OP never said it is only Igbos that succeed in business. He just enumerated some of the attributes that alludes to their successes.

Dangote himself or any other tribe most likely will have something that makes him or them unique in their own way and ensures their success.

The Yorubas are good in the corporate world. I admire that in them. Igbo businesses are more of a one man's show.

I'm an Igboman BTW. And of course proud!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by tolguy(m): 8:17pm On Feb 12, 2017
DirtyGold:

What's tha business?
excellent!! may GOD BLESS YOU

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by kechywillz(m): 8:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
I dey feel m people
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 12, 2017
dingbang:
Lol is an Igbo man d richest man in Africa?

Yes or no? grin

lol.. can a tree make a forest...yes or no

how many northern business men are occupying the business spaces in Nigeria

How many people in the north have benefited from dangote business empire

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by faithugo64(f): 8:36pm On Feb 12, 2017
melodyogonna:
oburu na oweghi onugbo, nya bia ka m nye ya.
grin
Maobu utazi

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Cubid: 8:38pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ethnic Champions everywhere.
Instead of competing with the rest of the world, we are busy competing with ourselves.

Even the Holy Bible says ' those comparing themselves amongst themselves are not wise.

If you are an adult and you are an ethnic champion you need to outgrow this childishness.

It is an ill wind which blows nobody any good.
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 12, 2017
lordyugo:

am sure u wr not taught redundancy and verbosity in skul
LMAO. This mumu sef wan dey show verbiage. You think say everybody go Otulemukpe High School like you. Lubbish. grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
leonene:
Igbo's are d successful business men n women right?

But where are they in Africa ranking for example.

1. Dangote, he is not a successful business man? How many Igbo's can compete with his daughter come to talk of Dangote.

2. Mike Adenuga which Igbo man can have good business acumen d way d man is?

3. Femi Otedela an oil baron is he not a successful business man?

4. Folaroshon Alakija the third Africa richest woman how many Igbo woman has been rank to that level.

Igbo's Men n Women I know them of doing small scale business (Petty Business) That is all.............

you only mentioned those who are beneficiaries of corrupt Nigeria govt
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Cubid: 8:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
elsomm:

The OP never said it is only Igbos that succeed in business. He just enumerated some of the attributes that alludes to their successes.

Dangote himself or any other tribe most likely will have something that makes him or them unique in their own way and ensures their success.

The Yorubas are good in the corporate world. I admire that in them. Igbo businesses are more of a one man's show.

I'm an Igboman BTW. And of course proud!

You do have a point. We have a division of labour that some dim witted youths don't seem to realize. By some unwritten script, every tribe in this nation has positioned themselves in the areas of their relative strengths. The Yorubas seem to run corporate Nigeria, The Hausas, Military Nigeria, The Igbos Commercial Nigeria. If an Hausa man comes boasting that that he is the best trained militarily or agriculturally, will you dispute it? or if the Yorubas claim to own the biggest churches, universities and professorship in Nigeria and over seas, will any right thinking ethnic champion dispute it? It is needless placing one tribe above the other.Lets argue for our strengths and not things that will pitch us against each other. Its ethnicity, its tribalism, and its the stock and trade of small minded people.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 12, 2017
smartmey61:
wow Yes so true. Igbo can carry any amount of KILOGRAM to BRAZIL SOUTH AFRICA OR THAILAND and make huge money. so i agree. #imwaitingtho

that for sure !!

even getting the connection and munster the courage is another thing

get rich or die trying...that is the spirit

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 12, 2017
sweerychick:
what you talking about, I'm proud igbo all the time, not IPOB though.. Every tribe has its own fair share of bad people, no tribe is perfect.

Chioma bu afam ( good God)
eh eh,,,,chi chi,,,a u biko ooO,,,which part u for come
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Cubid: 9:14pm On Feb 12, 2017
harmless:
But the most successful business in Nigeria is a Hausa man #aliko dangote...The average hause man is a trader in his own space I.e fruits seller, suya seller, etc

Your post is nice but from the reactions it is generating, i wonder what the motive for writing it is. Granted the Igbos are die hard, cut throat capitalist by nature, very enterprising and entrepreneurial in disposition, but that is not the high point of human values.

Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention. You become what you give yourself to, sometimes in adapting to your sociology-economic environment . As a growing child, i did not see a Rivers man open a supermarket. If he did, to maintain it, he would require hiring an igbo boy with experience, who will diligently work at the job. Today several Rivers men own supermarkets which they manage by themselves with Rivers boys and Girls. Taking of consistency and perseverance, the Igbos have it. but more as a was a survival mechanism.

The Ikwerre chap may Just get millions from the sale of a land he did not even know exist, so he settles down to a sedentary, I don't care lifestyle.
some other Rivers boys get easy money banding together and harassing multinationals in their host communities.
That does not mean if circumstances were different , they would not be in business and perhaps survive. So what we become is also predicated on the kind of socioeconomic enviroment that we find ourselves.
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by Basseybruce: 9:14pm On Feb 12, 2017
Financialslot:
Source: http://www.financialslot.com/2017/02/08/reasons-igbo-mans-impressive-successes-entrepreneurship/

I did not witness the Nigerian Civil war (1968-1970) because I was not born by that time, but I have read a lot about it in addition to listening to eye witness accounts from those who were there and even fought on different sides.

The Igbos lost almost everything during the war. They abandoned their businesses and properties outside Igbo land and moved home for safety as they became easy targets for mischief makers. These assets were mostly forfeited, confiscated or hijacked. This was the era when the term “Abandoned Property” became popular and real.

After the war, they were further subjected to financial and economic hardship, as their bank accounts were credited with a flat rate of 20 pounds irrespective of the volume of Biafra pounds in those accounts, effectively rendering them penniless.

This happened almost fifty years ago, as today the Igbos have moved on with their lives conquering the Nigerian business environment and building large business empires for themselves. Everywhere in Nigeria today, you will find very successful Igbo business men and women making the country proud in their various entrepreneurial pursuits.

How did they do it despite all the setback and challenges?. These should be some of the reasons why they have become a phenomenon in entrepreneurship.

Courage: The average Igbo is very courageous and ready to surmount every challenge in the pursuit of anything he sets out to accomplish. They are also very adventurous and ready to relocate to new places despite the inherent risks, as long as they can see opportunities. There is probably at least one Igbo man or woman in every country in the world.

Resilience: They focus on opportunities and ignore challenges, this makes them very tough and flexible. The Igbo man will nurture his small business painstakingly taking risks and experimenting and innovating with different strategies until the business begins to boom and flourish.

Creativity: I read accounts of how the Igbos improvised and created their tanks and refineries during the civil war. Today the likes of Innocent Chukwuma of Innoson Industries are building cars and fabricating spare parts for the Nigerian Air force. If you still have doubts about the Igboman’s creativity then visit Nnewi and Aba to see how all types of machinery are fabricated.

Support system: The have a way of rallying round each other to ensure that their successes are multiplied. You will find all types of Igbo unions, clubs and associations in every city in this country; and even in most countries of the world. They have gone a step further to install Igbo traditional rulers outside their ancestral homes (eg. Eze Ndigbo of Lagos), who will govern their affairs and mediate in crises situations.

Apprentice System: Success in Entrepreneurship requires knowledge, mentorship and capital. The Igbos developed their own home grown system of entrepreneurship. This unique form of apprenticeship allows a male family member or community member to spend time and work with another family. During this period, the apprentice will learn the trade of his master and would also receive mentorship. At the end of the agreed period, the master will establish his apprentice; either by setting up a separate business for him, or giving him money or tools to earn a living. This system has helped to spread wealth from the rich to poor in Igbo communities; and many of the big Igbo business men of today went through this system. The likes of Mr Innocent Chukwumma of Innoson Motors, Mr Cosmas Maduka of Coscharis Motors and Chief Alex Chika Okafor of A-Z petroleum are all beneficiaries of this system.

These reasons may not be exhaustive and it will be nice to hear other reasons, I may have omitted.

Alaba international Market in Lagos justifies this assertion. Igbo kwenu!
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by gentlechyke(m): 9:18pm On Feb 12, 2017
Nicely put op. The challenges faced makes the igbo man skillfull and articulate
Re: 5 Reasons Why The Igbo Man Succeeds In Business by honniemail(f): 9:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
They are also involve in blood money op forgot that...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zugacoin: Nigerian Cryptocurrency To Be Used To Buy Innoson Vehicles, Others / Skrill (moneybookers) Now Accepts Nigerian Account / N3million Naira, What Business Profitable Business Can It Float?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.