Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Tincan Port Congestion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tincan Port Congestion (18325 Views)

Unbelievable: Bluetooth Device Will Help Motorist To Avoid Traffic Congestion / A Man Miraculously Survived A Ghastly Trailer Crush At Tincan Apapa / Total Cost Of Clearing A Vehicle At TINCAN PORT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tincan Port Congestion by Rothstein: 12:39am On Dec 08, 2009
FELLOW NL, I USE THIE MEDIUM TO CALL ON YOU TO SHARE UR RECENT EXPERIENCE AT THE PORT. THE TWO VESSELS I HAVE GOODS ON COULD NOT BERTH DUE TO LACK OF PARKING SPACE: ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO? THE END OF YEAR IS A BOOM FOR BIZ BUT IM TRAPPED sad
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Fhemmmy: 12:48am On Dec 08, 2009
This is a common occurrence, but i have heard that it is not as busy this year as last year, info source: My clearing guru - Adexfem
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 8:45am On Dec 08, 2009
Not as bad as last year dude.
Infact i am expecting a car this week and i have been promised i will get it.
Maybe cos ur's is in a container!! I did RORO!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by bimbor(m): 9:32am On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh what is RORO?
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 9:35am On Dec 08, 2009
bimbor:

Emperoh what is RORO?

Abridged name for 'Roll On Roll Off'.
A form of shipping a vehicle whereby car is just driven into the ship deck.
Its the opposite of having a car in a container!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by GeorgeD1(m): 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh is roro a better option? what if it gets bashed in transit or while on the ship? also since it is not in a container, the car accessories can get missing, no?
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 2:02pm On Dec 08, 2009
George_D:

Emperoh is roro a better option? what if it gets bashed in transit or while on the ship? also since it is not in a container, the car accessories can get missing, no?

RORO is the fastest means of shipping a vehicle. The concessioning/privatisation of the Ports and terminal has made pilfering and wharf rats
a thing of the past. . . . infact its said that even agents don't have access to where vehicles are parked.
As for damages, they are very very minimal but when they occur, the shipping line takes responsibilty.!!
It takes 3 weeks for a RORO vehicle to arrive in Nigeria and it takes little time to clear. You can even have the car in 1 day if u start u clearing before the vehicle arrives!!!
#Its also cost effective but a little more expensive than 'Containerised' cars!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Fhemmmy: 2:34pm On Dec 08, 2009
The only Emperor on Nairaland, every other one na counterfeit . . . . thanx for doing justice to this thread.
I am ur loyal fan
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 3:49pm On Dec 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

The only Emperor on Nairaland, every other one na counterfeit . . . . thanx for doing justice to this thread.
I am your loyal fan

Na una teach me work ooo grin grin grin
What are we here if not to teach and learn from people like you and Siena!!!
Thank God for Nairaland for bringing me closer and teaching much about automobiles
Why i love cars is what am yet to ascertain!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Fhemmmy: 3:58pm On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh:

Na una teach me work ooo grin grin grin
What are we here if not to teach and learn from people like you and Siena!!!
Thank God for Nairaland for bringing me closer and teaching much about automobiles
Why i love cars is what am yet to ascertain!!

Me and you are in same boat oh.
I keep telling myself, how come i never went to study mechanic oh.
You wont believe that i am a System developer by degree oh, but an Auto freak.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by jenju(m): 4:25pm On Dec 08, 2009
I can confirm that there's a bit of conjestion in the RORO terminal at the moment, as well. A ship carrying some of my vehicles that should have berthed 3 weeks ago, is still awaiting berthing instuction as we speak.

On the other hand, there have been no backlog on the vehicles I shipped via Grimaldi because they operate their own terminal. All vehicles shipped via Grimaldi have arrived promptly.

One other observation is that, there has been at least a N100,000 - N300,000 increase in clearing costs of vehicles that are 2006 - 2010.

Cheers,
J
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Dec 08, 2009
jenju:

I can confirm that there's a bit of conjestion in the RORO terminal at the moment, as well. A ship carrying some of my vehicles that should have berthed 3 weeks ago, is still awaiting berthing instuction as we speak.

On the other hand, there have been no backlog on the vehicles I shipped via Grimaldi because they operate their own terminal. All vehicles shipped via Grimaldi have arrived promptly.

One other observation is that, there has been at least a N100,000 - N300,000 increase in clearing costs of vehicles that are 2006 - 2010.

Cheers,
J

One of my great Mentor, thanx for the update
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 8:25pm On Dec 08, 2009
jenju:

Cheers,
J

Don Baba J!!!
I am in trouble then. . . . regardless of the cost, thats why i like Grimaldi!!
Mine is coming in thru 5 star Terminal!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by jenju(m): 8:30pm On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh:

Don Baba J!!!
I am in trouble then. . . . regardless of the cost, thats why i like Grimaldi!!
Mine is coming in thru 5 star Terminal!!

5 Star operators in my opinion are the culprits. They are still using the manual process for clearing hence unnecessarily causing delays, which lead to vehicles that could have been cleared in 5 days to remain at the port for much longer. The delays are still much better than what we experienced last year, however.

Cheers,
J
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by GeorgeD1(m): 8:31pm On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh, thanks for the info.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by AMERICANEX(m): 8:43pm On Dec 08, 2009
We have at times discusssed what mode of transport works the best. Also to consider is what steamship line you chose. This time of year ACL / GRIMALDI is the best bet for getting in and out of Tin Can quickly.
Other servcies are cheaper - but if you need speed they are the best this time of year. Usually nothing unexpected with them.

Container or R/Ro - feel fee to email us for rates. With all the lines we handle.

American Export line

JSTROZYK@AELSHIPPING.COM

Full Cntr Load and Ro/Ro available form anywhere in the USA to Nigeria.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 9:21pm On Dec 08, 2009
jenju:

5 Star operators in my opinion are the culprits. They are still using the manual process for clearing hence unnecessarily causing delays, which lead to vehicles that could have been cleared in 5 days to remain at the port for much longer.  The delays are still much better than what we experienced last year, however.

Cheers,
J

Thats why am scared. . .My clearing agent has done most of the job and even paid the duties
All we are waiting for is for the Ship to berth, get the release note and we are off!!
What shipping line are u using? I did Hoegh Trapeze!
!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by AMERICANEX(m): 9:27pm On Dec 08, 2009
I would like to hear a little more about the price increases on clearing in Nigeria at ACL / Grimaldi's terminal.
It hasn't approached price gouging has it ?
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 9:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
Those who used Hoegh Trapeze 169, this is what i grabbed from their website!!

Port ETA ETD Purpose
Galveston         27.10.2009 10.11.2009 Load
Jacksonville 14.11.2009 14.11.2009 Load
Baltimore         17.11.2009 17.11.2009 Load
New York         19.11.2009 19.11.2009 Load
Tema         02.12.2009 03.12.2009 Load,Discharge
Cotonou         03.12.2009 04.12.2009 Discharge
Lome         04.12.2009 06.12.2009 Load,Discharge
Lagos         06.12.2009 16.12.2009 Discharge
Durban         24.12.2009 25.12.2009 Load,Discharge
Jebel Ali         05.01.2010 06.01.2010 Load,Discharge Which Country be this one??
Mumbai         09.01.2010 10.01.2010 Discharge
Chennai        15.01.2010 16.01.2010 Discharge          Which Country be this one??
Colombo        18.01.2010 18.01.2010 Discharge          Which Country be this one??

http://www.hoegh.com/autoliners/schedule/

This was a vessel meant to arrive naija on 20th November as was on the BL
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by jerryland: 10:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
@Empheroh, thank you for the info on Hoegh Trapezee. Very useful information, i have also confirmed same from their website.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by jenju(m): 11:03pm On Dec 08, 2009
Emperoh:

I did Hoegh Trapeze!!

I have several cars in Hoegh Pearl ACE 61, which was supposed to have berthed at the end of November. The website now says the ship will discharge on the 11th of December. My contacts in Lagos expect it to berth next week.  It is currently scheduled to berth before Hoegh Trapeze. Sorry for the not-so-good news.

Cheers,
J

VOYAGE PEARL ACE 61

Port                     ETA                     ETD                      Purpose   

Jacksonville           09.11.2009         09.11.2009          Load
Baltimore                12.11.2009        12.11.2009          Load
New York                16.11.2009        16.11.2009          Load
Providence              17.11.2009        17.11.2009          Load
Lagos                     30.11.2009          11.12.2009        Discharge
Cotonou                 11.12.2009          15.12.2009        Discharge
Japan                     12.01.2010          13.01.2010   
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 8:54am On Dec 09, 2009
J

Mine was shifted from 12th to 16th.
as at the end of November when i checked, ETD was 12th.
I just don't know why things are always like this. . . . again, i don't understand why it has to take all these route before getting here!!

Have you and idea where and where Grimaldi loads from?
I think i am more comfortable with them!!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by jenju(m): 4:09pm On Dec 09, 2009
Emperoh:

J

Mine was shifted from 12th to 16th.
as at the end of November when i checked, ETD was 12th.
I just don't know why things are always like this. . . . again, i don't understand why it has to take all these route before getting here!!

Have you and idea where and where Grimaldi loads from?
I think i am more comfortable with them!!!

Last year Grimaldi had a major problem with cars not leaving their US ports for up to 2 - 3 months!  They seem to have solved that problem by adding more vessels.

They depart US more frequently from Baltimore. Other departure points include New York,  Boston, and Jacksonville.

Find more detail here:  http://www.b2b.grimaldi.co.uk/webdata/sched_nw.htm
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2009
jenju:

Last year Grimaldi had a major problem with cars not leaving their US ports for up to 2 - 3 months! They seem to have solved that problem by adding more vessels.

They depart US more frequently from Baltimore. Other departure points include New York, Boston, and Jacksonville.
Find more detail here: http://www.b2b.grimaldi.co.uk/webdata/sched_nw.htm

How could i have forgotten so soon. . . . .well u can never fully evict these issues!!
I have been checking, have u an idea if there is any RORO shipping from CA?
All cars i sourced from there came in Containerised and i have ended up disappointing Clients!!
Else what the closest to CA and then likely haulage fee to the nearest Shipping Coast. . .i bet this is not ur area
Hence i will appreciate any info u have. . . .

Also, u are due in two days. Pls keep me updated if it goes as planned for you.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 8:48am On Dec 10, 2009
Any news for anyone who has a vehicle to clear will be appreciated!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by KunleA2(m): 9:48am On Dec 10, 2009
Emperoh:

How could i have forgotten so soon. . . . .well u can never fully evict these issues!!
I have been checking, have u an idea if there is any RORO shipping from CA?
All cars i sourced from there came in Containerised and i have ended up disappointing Clients!!
Else what the closest to CA and then likely haulage fee to the nearest Shipping Coast. . .i bet this is not your area
Hence i will appreciate any info u have. . . .

Also, u are due in two days. Pls keep me updated if it goes as planned for you.

There is no RORO from CA going to Nigeria. Do u currently have a car for shipment here? The closest RORO option will be Galveston on the Hoegh line. I can help you get it there in case you need. It will be about $700 thereabout.(Higher for SUV/Jeep). Distance of roughly 2400 kilometers.
You have the option of trucking or being driven. Driving it will be about 2-3 days or so. You might consider being driven if the ship is leaving very soon. Otherwise it will take about 8-9days on trucks (cos they pick/drop along the way).

Vehicles here in California tends to be somewhat cleaner (especially older rides over 5years old) and rust free.Also, there are more registered vehicles here in California than anywhere in the USA. Although it is extra cost, it will let you save face from angry  angry customers.

The container route out of California will take you a little over 2weeks longer than other parts of the country when containerised. They transit via Europe before coming to Naija. Africa RORO lines comes straight to Africa. But hey its California  kiss.

You can forward me email if you have any other question(s) : Promise72@yahoo.com
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 10:53am On Dec 10, 2009
Kunle-A:

There is no RORO from CA going to Nigeria. Do u currently have a car for shipment here? The closest RORO option will be Galveston on the Hoegh line. I can help you get it there in case you need. It will be about $700 thereabout.(Higher for SUV/Jeep). Distance of roughly 2400 kilometers.
You have the option of trucking or being driven. Driving it will be about 2-3 days or so. You might consider being driven if the ship is leaving very soon. Otherwise it will take about 8-9days on trucks (cos they pick/drop along the way).

Vehicles here in California tends to be somewhat cleaner (especially older rides over 5years old) and rust free.Also, there are more registered vehicles here in California than anywhere in the USA. Although it is extra cost, it will let you save face from angry angry customers.

The container route out of California will take you a little over 2weeks longer than other parts of the country when containerised. They transit via Europe before coming to Naija. Africa RORO lines comes straight to Africa. But hey its California kiss.

You can forward me email if you have any other question(s) : Promise72@yahoo.com

May heavens bless you for this information.
Me and my contact there have been fighting cos of this
But i always go back cos all the cars i do from Calui are way off better and even cheaper
I got a 2008 Honda Civic with just 6400 miles on it for just 8000 U$D. U won't believe it.
Got a Murano for 9000U$D too. . . .but na the shipping be wahala.
Nothing much, i will see how to handle it next time!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by KunleA2(m): 10:57am On Dec 10, 2009
Emperoh:

May heavens bless you for this information.
Me and my contact there have been fighting cos of this
But i always go back cos all the cars i do from Calui are way off better and even cheaper
I got a 2008 Honda Civic with just 6400 miles on it for just 8000 U$D. U won't believe it.
Got a Murano for 9000U$D too. . . .but na the shipping be wahala.
Nothing much, i will see how to handle it next time!!

No problem. Remember, i am a registered dealer here. Let me know if i may be of any help. You have my contact info above.

Regards.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by ZE: 11:28am On Dec 10, 2009
I am aware there are container terminals in lagos. Those container terminals were established to decongest the port. If you go through any of them i believe it will be fast.

I know one that started recently CLARION SHIPPING WA.
I dont have their contact details now but will find out.
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by adconline(m): 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2009
ACL/Grimaldi is the best cos they have docking station in Lagos. Most of these vessels do not have docking terminals in Lagos, so they wait in line to use any available dock station in Lagos
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by Emperoh(m): 12:57pm On Dec 10, 2009
adconline:

ACL/Grimaldi is the best cos they have docking station in Lagos. Most of these vessels do not have docking terminals in Lagos, so they wait in line to use any available dock station in Lagos

Everyone won't use ACL/Grimaldi. . . . moreover, they don't cover the whole of USA and other Countries.
So what do you do? Wait till they come around? We have to make do with whats on ground. . . .regardless of what their facilities is like here!!
So if u have any info per the question, pls do oblige us!!

Kunle A aka Sultaan!! grin grin
Which state u dey jare. . . u know tis ur name dey confuse me atimes!!
Re: Tincan Port Congestion by adexfem(m): 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2009
The Dock workers(Labour) are on strike now, so things are at stand still are the various terminals now sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Do I Handle This Mechanic Holding My Car For 9 Months & No Result? / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! / Tricks Vulcanisers Use To Defraud Motorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.