Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia (8334 Views)

Poll: Is This A Good Initiative?

Yes: 38% (26 votes)
No: 61% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

11 Road Contractors Collected N4bn Without Going To Site-Senate / Buhari Phobia: N2.5b Adada Dam Contractor Rushes Back To Site / Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 11:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@nchara
i didnt say craftmanship was illegal.Have you ever seen a carpenter or mechanic being arrested for practising that kind of trade.Illegality shouldn't be associated with skills or poverty!

It is deeper than you think. They can claim to be making hunting guns while secretly making AK47s grin. The FGN knows better. FYI, the deputy gov of Abia state is from that generally area (not Abala village specifically) and he know what is on the ground.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
You are now talking like a true nigerian.It's high time we started saying the truth even if it did concerns our folks.Gun-running is a crime and will always be a crime.The govt can only discourage these guys by providing an alternative jobs for them,
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 11:52pm On Dec 14, 2009
Nchara:

Debosky?

Are guns not already being made in Nigeria at the DICON? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

And what is the crime rate around the DICON? Is smack in the middle of a kidnapping zone? Besides, who says DICON doesn't make enough guns as it is?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 12:12am On Dec 15, 2009
~Bluetooth:

You are now talking like a true nigerian.It's high time we started saying the truth even if it did concerns our folks.Gun-running is a crime and will always be a crime.The govt can only discourage these guys by providing an alternative jobs for them,

Is there any part of the constitution that says making guns is illegal? If such a case gets to the supreme court do you know how it might play out? Note the difference btw constitution and police regulation. Is manufacturing guns part of gun running? If so why is the FGN trying to engage in gun running? Don't know just asking. Thanks.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 12:18am On Dec 15, 2009
debosky:

And what is the crime rate around the DICON? Is smack in the middle of a kidnapping zone? Besides, who says DICON doesn't make enough guns as it is?

What crime are you talking about? Be specific, as many people just presume that crime rate is higher in the S than N (where DICON is located). That perception might be due to lack of reporting in the N, and not the reality on the ground or due to looking at specific crimes. Needs to take it in its totality.

1. Are you really sure that DICON is making guns at the moment?

2. Gun making in Abala has been on since ages b4 kidnapping became an issue.

3. The guns from DICON (if 1 above is correct) are they part of the ones stolen by military officers and sold to criminals and militants?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 12:49am On Dec 15, 2009
Nchara:

What crime are you talking about? Be specific, as many people just presume that crime rate is higher in the S than N (where DICON is located). That perception might be due to lack of reporting in the N, and not the reality on the ground or due to looking at specific crimes. Needs to take it in its totality.

1. Are you really sure that DICON is making guns at the moment?

2. Gun making in Abala has been on since ages b4 kidnapping became an issue.

3. The guns from DICON (if 1 above is correct) are they part of the ones stolen by military officers and sold to criminals and militants?

1. I am not sure

2. So what? Why can't the skill be used for something else - who says guns are lacking in Nigeria

3. If so, why do we need even MORE guns??

If there are problems with one facility, why create one where criminality is already established? Are guns the problem facing the police in the South East or poverty, lack of intelligence and other issues?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 12:53am On Dec 15, 2009
debosky:

1. I am not sure

2. So what? Why can't the skill be used for something else - who says guns are lacking in Nigeria

3. If so, why do we need even MORE guns??

If there are problems with one facility, why create one where criminality is already established? Are guns the problem facing the police in the South East or poverty, lack of intelligence and other issues?

You still do not get it. Gun-making is on now in Abala, even as we speak. So whether the feds step in or not makes no diff. What then can be done in such a scenario? Kill off the crafstmen so that gun-making dies a natural death? The police have been arresting them and releasing them because, I think, gun-making is not unconstitutional. I doubt that they catch them pants down selling the guns to criminals, although that is obviously the case. Like I said, retraining them is no guarantee that they will give up their culture (gun-making) that easily.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 12:58am On Dec 15, 2009
Nchara:

You still do not get it. Gun-making is on now in Abala, even as we speak. S[b]o whether the feds step in or not makes no diff. [/b]What then can be done in such a scenario? Kill all of the crafstmen. The police has been arresting them and releasing them because, I think, gun-making is not unconstitutional. Like I said, retraining them is not guarantee that they will give up their culture (gun-making) that easily.

It makes a BIG difference - a factory will produce more weapons, more efficiently and at a very fast pace.

It is the height of mental laziness to condone criminal activity - the next thing we'll do is allocate days to armed robbers to rob because they won't give up their culture easily, or create zones for 419ers to operate because they won't give their culture up easily, or allow human sacrifices to go on because it is clutural.

It is illegal to make guns as they are doing and that is the law - the people engaged in such are criminals and should be hunted down. Those that don't stop must either be locked up or face a worse fate if they resist. We cannot continue to condone criminality in the name of culture.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 12:59am On Dec 15, 2009
^^^^^
So why did we condone militancy by granting them amnesty- just an aside. And why are they still making guns if it is illegal to make guns (not talking about selling same to criminals)?

Do you believe that 1000 factory-made guns will undergo a far more efficient regulation (by appropriate authorities) - and therefore, less harmful- than 10 privately made and sold guns (infact, no regulation at all in this case)?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by mamagee3(f): 1:02am On Dec 15, 2009
Gun in Nigeria? shocked shocked
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 1:03am On Dec 15, 2009
Nchara:

^^^^^
So why did we condone militancy by granting them amnesty- just an aside. And why are they still making guns if it is illegal to make guns (not talking about selling same to criminals)?

Do you believe that 1000 factory-made guns will undergo a far more efficient regulation (by appropriate authorities) than 10 privately made and sold guns (infact, no regulation at all in this case)?

Militants were given amnesty to STOP being militants - you are saying build a factory so criminals can continue making guns - that is completely different.

Increasing the guns will increase the number in circulation - there is no doubt about that. We DO NOT NEED MORE GUNS IN NIGERIA - we need to control our borders and stop the proliferation of weapons.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nchara: 1:06am On Dec 15, 2009
Sorry Debosky,
I edited my last two posts with some more points. Perhaps you could read them again and update your responses. Thanks.

I am saying building a factory so that crafstmen can make guns formally. Do you see them as criminals just by merely being gun-makers and assuming you are unable to prove that a specific gun maker sold his products to criminals?
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by tjtj1(m): 3:55am On Dec 15, 2009
good idea, now the stupid people who will work there will sell guns to people
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nnekababy: 9:54am On Dec 15, 2009
This is giving the cat fish to keep. I will advice the FG relocate the factory to the Niger Delta region, that will create jobs for the youths and will help checkmate their excesses. God help us with this our so called advisers, whose idea was this, set up a gun factory in Abia? This will not only increase crime but will increase kidnapping as well. Now weapons can be procured easily and faster in large quantity. This is a very big disaster waiting to happen
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Abagworo(m): 11:45am On Dec 15, 2009
If siting a gun factory will give the youths economic enpowerment,it is a nice idea.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by debosky(m): 12:07pm On Dec 15, 2009
Nchara:

Sorry Debosky,
I edited my last two posts with some more points. Perhaps you could read them again and update your responses. Thanks.

I am saying building a factory so that crafstmen can make guns formally. Do you see them as criminals just by merely being gun-makers and assuming you are unable to prove that a specific gun maker sold his products to criminals?

They are by and large criminals – there is no great demand for weapons except for criminal activity at the moment. There isn’t any great demand from hunting and other such activities and thus they are actively supporting the criminal underworld.

Some might be making guns without selling to criminals, but I am sure making guns is a licensed activity in Nigeria, along with selling guns. If we do not enforce basic laws we are encouraging anarchy.

Craftsmen are skilled in metal work – there are a million things from automobiles, furniture, farm implements and industrial equipment that can utilise these skills. Making guns is NOT a wise idea in any sense – you are in essence rewarding criminal activity with full time employment in the same field.

Again, guns are not the prime need of Ngwa land – I am sure they don’t have enough tractors, farm implements and industrial goods – those should be manufactured, not guns.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2009
@nchara
if fg engage in gun manufacturing,its not gun running but when private citizens engage in gun manufacturing,definitely,there will be gun-running.There are arms categorized under "restricted arms" category that private citizens are not allowed to own which include ak 47 and sub-machine guns etc and the law of nigeria recognize this.Why are we justifying the manufacturing of arms by private individuals,tell that to the law enforcement agency.I used to know of the firearms tribunal that deal with cases of illegal arms possession during the military era and i'm sure the present constitution will not allow illegal possession of arms by private citizens talkless of manufacturing it!
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by vincent10(m): 8:03am On Dec 16, 2009
E clear say FG want 2 cause another anomalous act. We don't have good management in this country.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by vincent10(m): 8:09am On Dec 16, 2009
FG "to site Gun factory in Abia" when FG don de lie again. Na washe.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by vincent10(m): 8:10am On Dec 16, 2009
FG "to site Gun factory in Abia" when FG don de lie again. Na washe.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by JJay1(m): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
Another proof that we have retards running the country. Niger Delta produces oil, does that mean there are no fuel scarcity there? Imbeciles in government!!!
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
debosky:

They are by and large criminals – there is no great demand for weapons except for criminal activity at the moment. There isn’t any great demand from hunting and other such activities and thus they are actively supporting the criminal underworld.

Some might be making guns without selling to criminals, but I am sure making guns is a licensed activity in Nigeria, along with selling guns. If we do not enforce basic laws we are encouraging anarchy.

Craftsmen are skilled in metal work – there are a million things from automobiles, furniture, farm implements and industrial equipment that can utilise these skills. Making guns is NOT a wise idea in any sense – you are in essence rewarding criminal activity with full time employment in the same field.

Again, guns are not the prime need of Ngwa land – I am sure they don’t have enough tractors, farm implements and industrial goods – those should be manufactured, not guns.

Although  handguns manufactured there could be sold legally to properly licensed individuals. I am not in principle against the idea of bearing arms for self-defence.

Furthermore if this move reduces the of the security forces dependency on  importation of military hardware then it is a good idea in principle.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by WilyWily: 6:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
debosky:

The guns are realy good and can be exported, some Igbo made guns are very effective and functions better than Ukrainian made. don't jam.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
The proviso of course is that the exports should be to national security forces.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Gumget: 10:07am On Jan 25, 2010
r u shur about dis.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by Wrex(m): 4:46pm On Mar 07, 2010
We are at it again, misplaced priority
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by jamace(m): 3:02am On Mar 08, 2010
FG should rather concentrate on Defence Industries Corporation Of Nigeria (DICON) in Kaduna State, except somebody just wants to win  contract to strengthen his financial muscle.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by EzeUche(m): 3:17am On Mar 08, 2010
No need to talk about our issues so the Yorubas can use it as fodder, angry
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by EzeUche(m): 12:30am On Jun 08, 2010
Hehehe time to resurrect this thread!
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by ChinenyeN(m): 12:57am On Jun 08, 2010
Horus: This will not fight crime because someone who work in this factory can easily supply arms and ammunition to the criminal underworld around Nigeria.
Weak argument. Such is already occurring.

~Bluetooth, you have nothing to be worried about (talking about Civil War). Considering how weapons manufacturing is the culture of that town, if the Igbo really wanted another civil war, Abala could have been contracted long ago and all of Igboland would have been supplied with weapons and ammunition, prepared for another war. Such has not happened, and is likely to not happen, because the Igbo are not looking for another civil war. You stress yourself too much over something that is likely to never happen, again.

I am in 100% agreement with such an initiative.
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by tkb417(m): 7:29am On Jun 08, 2010
staple food is expensive they are talking about manufacturing guns

how about using the planned capex to set up a mechanised farm in abia where all kinda food can be produced

i bet the people of abia and 9ja will probably laud that idea instead of a gun making factory

i hope the monarchs and rulers in Abia will say no to this stupid plan and do somethn better for d state
Re: Fg To Site Gun Factory In Abia by tkb417(m): 7:32am On Jun 08, 2010
WilyWily:

The guns are realy good and can be exported, some Igbo made guns are very effective and functions better than Ukrainian made. don't jam.
ode

the guns are really good and can be exported yet your police are using out dated weapons

who will buy guns from you? i bet when the gun starts malfunctioning, i can swear it will kill whoever is firing instead of who the gun is aimed at

you have fertile land, u cannot embark on mechanised farming or provide electricity for people, na gun u wan export

mumu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Re-arraigns Atiku’s Lawyer Over $2m Money Laundering / Senatorial Road Project: Bayelsa Woos Shell, Agip, Aiteo With Tax Holiday / Special Advisers to Jonathan. Only one Igbo Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.