Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case (8199 Views)

Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / Ikechukwu Ikeji, Lawyer & Pastor Dies (Photo) / Akwa Ibom Man Who Sells Doughnut Helped By A Nigerian Lawyer, Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by legalpanic: 5:59pm On Mar 03, 2017
Winning is not always in the hand of the attorney or how advantageously placed a case is, sometimes it is also in the hands of the client. So as a Client, your comments, opinions and passive strategies in your own case are as important as your lawyer’s active strategies to win your matter in court. Knowing how to help your lawyer win your case, is very important for you, because you have a role to play in winning your case, before a Court or any tribunal. John, a music producer in Lagos, Nigeria, feels guilty for the way he handled his copyright case which made it impossible for his lawyer to win his case for him. Every client wants his case won, but sometimes the client makes this dream unrealizable for the lawyer and himself.
So how can a client help his lawyer win his own case?
1.) Openness: Clients should be ready to reveal the entire situation about their case to a lawyer. Not opening up on the tiniest of details can cause some surprise in court for the lawyer, who is definitely not ready for such a surprise that might be harmful to his client’s case. Be open with your fears and likely loopholes in your case.
2.) Statements: Before you make or write any statement before any prosecutorial body or agency, e.g. the police, etc., make sure you ask for the presence of your lawyer, as this could help you avoid some irreparable damages. David, an inmate of a Nigerian prison, feels he had destroyed his case already before the case commenced in court. You have a right to remain silent in most Nations of the world once you are arrested. See Chapter 4 of the Constitution of Nigeria 1999 as amended.
3.) Discretion: Avoid bragging about an ongoing case in court, because this might unconsciously or indirectly lead you to tell the other side or party some key strategies to be used by your Attorney or Lawyer. Once you have a case in court, avoid too much discussion on it, especially in the open, this can save your case from total destruction in court as every move is strategically planned for by your lawyer without the knowledge of a third or unknown party.
4.) Questions: Always be ready to ask questions and details from your lawyer. This will prepare you for some questions in cross-examination and help the lawyer figure out some obscure areas. This helps you boost confidence in your case and helps the lawyer prepare more against any eventualities. Sometimes, clients, can be scared they might be asking a stupid question, but trust me, better stupid before your counsel than stupid in court.
5.) Be open to Negotiation (Alternative Disputes Resolution): As a client, be free to ask your Lawyer to negotiate or find an alternative route to litigation. This is because sometimes, a lawyer might not want the case to end raptly as this will decrease his financial fee. However, this situation depends on the facts of the case, as not every case can end with the magic wand of ADR.
6.) Be consistent: Some client gives different testimony in the police station, in the lawyer’s office and court. This is harmful to any healthy case as such testimonies will be unreliable in court and therefore, make it almost impossible for his Lawyer to win the case.
7.) Commitment: A client should make himself available for any appointment with his lawyer. He or she must be ready to cooperate extensively with his or her lawyer to produce remarkable results. All fees on your case should also be paid promptly as this will boost the morale of your attorney.
8.) Confidence: Work on your confidence before the court session. See the court as a freedom Park with minor formalities. Get yourself more acquainted with your witness statement, even though it is presumed you wrote it yourself. Ensure you look the Judge and every lawyer in court, in their eyes when you talk. Be more empathetic with a statement that deals with emotions and endeavour to be relaxed at all times. This way, you attract sympathy and truthfulness in your testimony.
9.) Evidence: Always make available every document or evidence that your lawyer might need for your case. Never indulge in evidence destruction, even though they might be against your suit in court. Lawyer are trained to use any information in their possession to the best of his client’s advantage. Such destruction might lead to grave consequences in court.
CULLED: www.legalpanic.com

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by wizzlyd(m): 7:23am On Mar 04, 2017
FTC Uncle Seun 3912457936 my account number first bank,i day expect alert from you for the first to comment money.

7 Likes

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by rabazamba: 7:24am On Mar 04, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by popsyleo1: 7:25am On Mar 04, 2017
Right talk
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by pesty100(m): 7:26am On Mar 04, 2017
It seems like I might have made mistakes in my own case

https://www.nairaland.com/3659875/what-accused-something-know-nothing

2 Likes

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by BlueShine(m): 7:27am On Mar 04, 2017
Really what about if it's a murder case? grin
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by busysince1993(m): 7:28am On Mar 04, 2017
ok we don hear
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Hoddor(m): 7:29am On Mar 04, 2017
Some lawyers don't need any help, in fact, Na them go tell you the kin lie you go dey lie sef....

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by baylord101(m): 7:32am On Mar 04, 2017
Yea opened! That's what give lawyer the confidence to defend killer, arm robbers and crime related offences. Even thou they know d case can't be win but the punishment will be reduced
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Epositive(m): 7:32am On Mar 04, 2017
BlueShine:

you well so?

#juztaskinp
#positivevibes
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Hoddor(m): 7:32am On Mar 04, 2017
But wait o, why do lawyers make you lie too much? Is there a really born again lawyer sef? Just asking o, Cuz those guys don't care who you are, they look you straight in the eyes and just lie to you, and there is nothing you can do about it....

To any lawyer who finds my comment offensive......

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by princessayesha(f): 7:35am On Mar 04, 2017
Nice one OP....I imagine how shocking it would be if a client reveals facts unknown to his lawyer during cross examination

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by igwegeorgiano(m): 7:37am On Mar 04, 2017
wizzlyd:
FTC Uncle Seun 3912457936 my account number first bank,i day expect alert from you for the first to comment money.
do one get paid for being da first to comment or getting ur post to front page? if yes how much?
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by wizzlyd(m): 7:46am On Mar 04, 2017
igwegeorgiano:
do one get paid for being da first to comment or getting ur post to front page? if yes how much?
ask lalasticlala
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by gaetano: 7:56am On Mar 04, 2017
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by agborodun: 7:57am On Mar 04, 2017
LLB- Lie Lie Boy

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Tobilastik(m): 7:58am On Mar 04, 2017
Law students watch Suits and think they'll be working on white-collar crimes, only to represent one Abeeb who stole iPhone in Shoprite in court.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by okunfemm(m): 8:18am On Mar 04, 2017
Expositorily & Educative. Thanks Op

4 Likes

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by OBIGS(m): 8:21am On Mar 04, 2017
Nigeria police wey go beat you , still force you write statement wey u no even get idea of. Nigeria police operate outside de constitution.
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by kolado(m): 8:46am On Mar 04, 2017
Nice post.
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by missnawty(f): 8:47am On Mar 04, 2017
Overated sh!t!
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 04, 2017
missnawty:
Overated sh!t!
angry
Why you no dey reply my mentions sad

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Raphael81(m): 9:00am On Mar 04, 2017
missnawty:
Overated sh!t!

Lol
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by legalpanic: 9:16am On Mar 04, 2017
BlueShine:
Your openness in a murder case is also very important. Telling your lawyer the truth will help him know how to prepare your defense. Secondly, it is for the prosecution to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt and not for you to prove your innocence. Will post about this in a later post.

2 Likes

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by KingAfo(m): 9:52am On Mar 04, 2017
Thank you OP. God bless you. Better post unlike those yeye post. Cossy exposes her boobies, tiwa slays in Red etc.

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by legalpanic: 10:05am On Mar 04, 2017
OBIGS:
Nigeria police wey go beat you , still force you write statement wey u no even get idea of. Nigeria police operate outside de constitution.
Be polite with the Police, don't sound aggressive... Just tell them, I will write my statement once my lawyer is available. Don't exchange verbal altercations with them. Don't prove too much, just say am in shock and confusion; that you are not mentally stable to write your statement, that you need to talk to your lawyer.

1 Like

Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by antieverything(m): 11:28am On Mar 04, 2017
hehe mtcheeew...long story short..give him/her enof money to gift(bribe) d judge grin
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by missnawty(f): 11:30am On Mar 04, 2017
HateU2:
angry
Why you no dey reply my mentions sad
baibi boooo.. I no Dey c any mention oooo oniro oshi

Happy weekend swiri . Anything for me?
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by YoungBlackRico(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2017
Thanks Op , I learnt these and a lot of other things in "SUITs"

©YBR
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by snowden9(m): 12:10pm On Mar 04, 2017
legalpanic:

Be polite with the Police, don't sound aggressive... Just tell them, I will write my statement once my lawyer is available. Don't exchange verbal altercations with them. Don't prove too much, just say am in shock and confusion; that you are not mentally stable to write your statement, that you need to talk to your lawyer.
Hmmmm op, i doubt if this one will work in naija o. It's easy for you to say.
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 04, 2017
missnawty:
baibi boooo.. I no Dey c any mention oooo oniro oshi

Happy weekend swiri . Anything for me?
oniro ni e undecided
Just leave me alone ooo angry
Re: How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case by missnawty(f): 3:23pm On Mar 04, 2017
HateU2:
oniro ni e undecided
Just leave me alone ooo angry
haha lol
Kilode nah? Sheybi u strted everything o and Ayam now copying u now lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Advisable For A Fresh Graduate To Take A Job Of 5000 Naira Per Month? / Beneficiaries Of 2014 Nigerian Civil Defense Promotion Still Receiving Old Pay / Career Switch Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.