Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) (47116 Views)

Aftermath Of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Tanker Explosion (Graphic Photos) / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant / Relocating To An African Country: Is It Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
I read a post here on Nairaland few weeks ago of a user asking if traveling abroad with his 100,000 Naira savings (obviously not by air) is better or setting up business in Nigeria. So I am sharing this story i came across online to create more awareness on the risk one might be taking traveling through the deadly Libya rout.

Here, one African migrant, Gassama, describes his long journey from The Gambia through Libya to Europe and how he is now trying to dissuade others from making the hazardous trip.
I made the crossing from Libya to Sicily last November, after several attempts.
I am from The Gambia and had been trying to get to Europe since I left home.
I traveled through Senegal to Mali and on to Libya, working along the way when I could find jobs and trying to save money for the trip. I worked loading trucks and any other jobs I could get.
Getting to Libya was very hard. We saw bones in the desert which i believed they are of people who fell off from the hilux.

It was difficult to find work there. I was also arrested three times and taken to five different prisons. I had to pay each time to get out of prison.
I also had to pay a few different people to try to get on one of the boats making the crossing to Italy.
The men that run these boats take people's money, and put too many of them into the boats. That's if you can get on to the boats. They take your money anyway. they kill at will and played death games with many of us. we lived days without food nor water.
The first attempt I made to cross on one of these boats from Tripoli failed. After two days in the water, we had to turn back.
After someone I knew helped me to raise the money, I eventually managed to get on another boat after paying 1,200 Libyan dinar ($870, £585).

There were far too many people on the boat, and it wasn't safe. After a difficult journey across the Mediterranean, I managed to make it to Sicily.
It's not easy here, with harassment and other problems, but I am so happy to have got across.
I have since set up a Facebook group to try to educate people who are trying to make the journey through Libya to Europe about just how difficult it is.
I have spoken to many people who have contacted me directly through my Facebook page and have so far got a good response.
I have tried to tell them not to come through Libya as it is too dangerous, and I will continue to do so.
They have every right to try to come to Europe, just like I did, but travelling through Libya is just too hazardous.
It is a desperate situation and has now become too dangerous.
There are people who will try to rob you and take your money just to get you on to these boats, which are overcrowded and not safe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32391752

Below are some pictures too.
viewer discretion is advised

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by obafemee80(m): 3:36pm On Mar 04, 2017
This is one of the most painful ways to die after all the psychological traumas they experienced

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by makdcash(m): 3:42pm On Mar 04, 2017
Greedy African leaders must be blame for this...death sentence to corruption or nothing..

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by chibabe259(f): 3:47pm On Mar 04, 2017
Aww, wicked world

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by sekundosekundo: 3:52pm On Mar 04, 2017
Those bodies were not embalmed, it is the hot environment that dried them like that.

15 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 04, 2017
sure they were not
sekundosekundo:
Those bodies were not embalmed, it is the hot environment that dried them like that.

15 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 04, 2017
what a way to die.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nutase: 3:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
Warrisdis?

1 Like

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by sekundosekundo: 4:01pm On Mar 04, 2017
space007:
sure they were not
This is terrible
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by pendragon35(m): 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2017
chai May God help us....

3 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by seangy4konji: 4:30pm On Mar 04, 2017
toyota na strong moto.

3 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by PhilAmadeus: 4:45pm On Mar 04, 2017
Short of words.....and we av leaders in this continent.

2 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 04, 2017
LESSON: stop being desperate to leave your home...... God's time is the best.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by justjify(m): 1:20pm On Mar 05, 2017
People are damn heartless. *spits* angry

1 Like

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by tunde1200(m): 3:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
I AM ALSO A VICTIM OF THIS LIBYA TRAVEL ROUTE.
IT IS TOTALLY DEADLY FOR ONE TO TRY IT

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
tunde1200:
kindly share this post

7 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by symbianDON(m): 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2017
tunde1200:
pls share your stories....you may be inspiring some prospective travelers to dump the dumb idea of self inflicted traumatic experience associated with the Libya passage.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by YUNGLURD(m): 7:17pm On Mar 05, 2017
irrespective of the condition i find myself, i dnt think i can embark on a journey through this deadly means...to scale through is like 2/10

African leaders re just wicked!

no be prick i dey see so?

6 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2017
lol... looks like o,..... kindly share
YUNGLURD:
irrespective of the condition i find myself, i dnt think i can embark on a journey through this deadly means...to scale through is like 2/10

African leaders re just wicked!

no be prick i dey see so?
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by tunde1200(m): 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2017
symbianDON:

pls share your stories....you may be inspiring some prospective travelers to dump the dumb idea of self inflicted traumatic experience associated with the Libya passage.

Yeah I would love to share with you my terrible and deadly experience with you all guys but unfortunately I am not a good writer.
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by tunde1200(m): 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2017
space007:
kindly share this post

Sorry I don't know how to write well and I don't want to be insulted also to write as it happens to me is hard

17 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by chukxie(m): 3:44am On Mar 06, 2017
This is sad. Completely sad! cry
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Lucasbalo(m): 3:52am On Mar 06, 2017
Why would any sane mind goes through that ?. It's not only sad, it's tragic. No amount of hardship in Africa is worth losing your life for. Hopefully, people will wisen up.

2 Likes

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
Lucasbalo:
Why would any sane mind goes through that ?. It's not only sad, it's tragic. No amount of hardship in Africa is worth losing your life for. Hopefully, people will wisen up.
chukxie:
This is sad. Completely sad! cry
I tell you, many are really wasting away passing that route, some females are always being sold into prostitution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by davidif: 7:39am On Mar 06, 2017
Wow! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Lalasticlala and mynd44 you need to put this on the front page.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by davidif: 7:40am On Mar 06, 2017
tunde1200:

Sorry I don't know how to write well and I don't want to be insulted also to write as it happens to me is hard

Dude, you might be saving a life.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by nerilove(m): 8:53am On Mar 06, 2017
Very gory pictures. But why dont they use those money they pay for boat space and set up small scale businesses in their country? I'll say it's greed. They know how difficult it is and still want to try.
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by chukxie(m): 9:22am On Mar 06, 2017
space007:
I tell you, many are really wasting away passing that route, some females are always being sold into prostitution.

A childhood friend of mine who was doing DSW - Diploma in Social Work in Uniben died on the route over 10 years ago. His parents still have not been able to come to terms with his death. He was their first born, their first son.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by tunde1200(m): 9:33am On Mar 06, 2017
davidif:

Dude, you might be saving a life.

Yeah I know but in a situation where you don't even know how to start the write up what should I do.

And at the same time scare of horrible experience along the route to Libya.
Guy let's just forget about it and continue with life.
Thank you
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 06, 2017
chukxie:

A childhood friend of mine who was doing DSW - Diploma in Social Work in Uniben died on the route over 10 years ago. His parents still have not been able to come to terms with his death. He was their first born, their first son.
what a pity

1 Like

Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by Factfinder1(m): 1:05pm On Mar 06, 2017
tongue
Re: An African Migrant's Story: 'Libya Is Too Dangerous' (Graphic Photos) by LEOSIRSIR(m): 1:06pm On Mar 06, 2017
so sad.
angry

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hyena And Magnificent Antelope Spotted At Yankari Game Reserve In Bauchi. Photos / The First Plane Crash In Nigeria At Igbo Ilapa Hill In Ikogosi, Ekiti In 1942 / Truck Crushes Groom's Legs, Kills His Guest In Kwara State(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.