Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (492519 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:14am On Jul 25, 2018
ebonychic18:
POE: JFK

I flew emirates arrived JFK about 25mins before the expected arrival time. Egypt air and one other airline were already on ground, there were too many people on the ground the queue was something else. Proceeded to the scanner did my biometrics collected the printout as I was looking left and right trying to figure out what next, an officer signalled me, I stepped forward, she looked at my slip and directed me to another female officer.

CPB: Why are you here?
Me....holiday
Cpb....How long?
Me.....12days
Cpb... can i see your return ticket? I showed her
Cpb..... enjoy your holiday
Me....Thanks
Proceeded to baggage claim picked up my box. On getting to the exit just about to go out I brought out my phone to call my host. Another female officer walks up to me and the following ensued

Cpb....is this your first time here? No

Cpb.... why are you here? Holiday
Cpb....When are you leaving?
Me... 12days time. Do you want to see my ticket?
Cpb...No. what was the purpose of your last visit?
Me..... conference
Cpb..... who will you be staying with?
Me.....the sister of my friend
Cpb...is she the one you're trying to call?
Me... Yes, she's outside.
Cpb.... I'm gonna search your bag
Me.... with all pleasure.
She searched my box and my backpack. I had beans, ukwa, yaji, groundnuts, plenty gala. She checked them all. Told me thanks enjoy your holiday.

All the above took less than 15mins from arrival till I walked out because it still wasn't 7pm.

Nice one... did you declared any items? maybe that was why your baggage was searched.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:24am On Jul 25, 2018
OluGlo:
I am new on this forum. In fact a friend actually asked me to come and seek for help here. This is my story. My family secured a visiting visa to the US sometimes last year with my nephew who is staying with my family. We travelled to the US few months ago. On the day of our departure back to Nigeria, my nephew told me he wanted to collect something from his friend (the friend actually came to see him like twice and he also passed few nights with the friend, though I don’t know where the friend stay). My nephew left to see the friend but never came back. I called his number but was switched off. Few minutes later, he sent me a text message that he is sorry as he couldn’t tell me his plan. But he is not returning back to Nigeria. I was speechless and disappointed. I called his dad in Nigeria and his dad told me he just sent him a similar text message too. My family has since come back to Nigeria without him.

Now, here is my fear. Will his abscond affect my family’s subsequent travel to the US and other countries? I recently received an ITA from IRCC for migration to Canada. I hope my nephew’s abscond will not affect our process. Please help, what should I do?

Although this is the wrong thread to share this problem but from my own opinion I don't think this will affect your chances at all due to the facts that he's an adult and I'm hoping you don't bear the same surname and lastly he was issued the visa based on his ties alone.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OluGlo: 11:46am On Jul 25, 2018
seyewest:

Although this is the wrong thread to share this problem but from my own opinion I don't think this will affect your chances at all due to the facts that he's an adult and I'm hoping you don't bear the same surname and lastly he was issued the visa based on his ties alone.

So sorry to have posted on the wrong thread. Like I mentioned, this is my first posting.

We bear the same surname and we applied together as one family. He just turned 18 in January this year.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Chuchunana: 11:54am On Jul 25, 2018
OluGlo:

So sorry to have posted on the wrong thread. Like I mentioned, this is my first posting.

We bear the same surname and we applied together as one family. He just turned 18 in January this year.

When it comes to the US, you never can tell what can affect you but I doubt it will affect you Canadian EE application especially if he's not part of it.

Stay positive and I hope all works in your favour.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:23pm On Jul 25, 2018
Chuchunana:

When it comes to the US, you never can tell what can affect you but I doubt it will affect you Canadian EE application especially if he's not part of it.

I'm waiting for @Omobendel highly valued opinion as well.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OluGlo: 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2018
Chuchunana:

Thank you all for your comments
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ebonychic18(f): 2:00am On Jul 26, 2018
seyewest:

Nice one... did you declared any items? maybe that was why your baggage was searched.

yeah I Had spices, beans, groundout, gala, ukwa(breadfruit) so I ticked that first line

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:06am On Jul 26, 2018
ebonychic18:

yeah I Had spices, beans, groundout, gala, ukwa(breadfruit) so I ticked that first line

Oh I see
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kponkedenge(m): 11:25am On Jul 26, 2018
seyewest:

I'm sorry this is not the right thread and the travel ban did not affect Nigerians and lastly the travel ban has been lifted for now.

Update: A new travel ban is in place and Nigeria is not part of it.

Please, I'm planning on traveling this December. Will I be allowed to take my laptop from Nigeria over there?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by lalahhh(f): 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2018
Please who has the link for port of entry interview for students. I have gone through the previous posts and I can’t find anything for students. Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Nahum777(m): 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2018
lalahhh:
Please who has the link for port of entry interview for students. I have gone through the previous posts and I can’t find anything for students. Thanks
Hehehe, I need the link too grin

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by lalahhh(f): 2:46pm On Jul 26, 2018
Nahum777:
Hehehe, I need the link too grin
Lol. You ehn
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by sodres: 4:53pm On Jul 26, 2018
Please what kind of questions you were asked doing the visa interview?.
Am also going for a conference but recently booked my appointment and I need some advice.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by lalahhh(f): 5:06pm On Jul 26, 2018
sodres:
Please what kind of questions you were asked doing the visa interview?.
Am also going for a conference but recently booked my appointment and I need some advice.
Join this thread .
https://www.nairaland.com/3905661/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2018
lalahhh:

Join this thread .
https://www.nairaland.com/3905661/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

Thank you for redirecting him/her to the right thread.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by oluwarichie(m): 2:44am On Jul 27, 2018
Hello house pls anyone is Houston Texas returning to Nigeria soon.?? Want to send a document back... please. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by lalahhh(f): 7:15am On Jul 28, 2018
ebonychic18:
POE: JFK

I flew emirates arrived JFK about 25mins before the expected arrival time. Egypt air and one other airline were already on ground, there were too many people on the ground the queue was something else. Proceeded to the scanner did my biometrics collected the printout as I was looking left and right trying to figure out what next, an officer signalled me, I stepped forward, she looked at my slip and directed me to another female officer.

CPB: Why are you here?
Me....holiday
Cpb....How long?
Me.....12days
Cpb... can i see your return ticket? I showed her
Cpb..... enjoy your holiday
Me....Thanks
Proceeded to baggage claim picked up my box. On getting to the exit just about to go out I brought out my phone to call my host. Another female officer walks up to me and the following ensued

Cpb....is this your first time here? No

Cpb.... why are you here? Holiday
Cpb....When are you leaving?
Me... 12days time. Do you want to see my ticket?
Cpb...No. what was the purpose of your last visit?
Me..... conference
Cpb..... who will you be staying with?
Me.....the sister of my friend
Cpb...is she the one you're trying to call?
Me... Yes, she's outside.
Cpb.... I'm gonna search your bag
Me.... with all pleasure.
She searched my box and my backpack. I had beans, ukwa, yaji, groundnuts, plenty gala. She checked them all. Told me thanks enjoy your holiday.

All the above took less than 15mins from arrival till I walked out because it still wasn't 7pm.

Thank God. At least now I know I can carry gala with me . Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Chuchunana: 3:34pm On Jul 28, 2018
oluwarichie:
Hello house pls anyone is Houston Texas returning to Nigeria soon.?? Want to send a document back... please. Thanks

I don't think anyone runs a courier business here...try DHL
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by overlord77: 6:15pm On Jul 28, 2018
lalahhh:

I thought Gala is a no-no? It has beef in it.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by bigbus: 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2018
overlord77:

I would have thought the same.
I was once allowed into the UK with cheese, "as long as it was inside the sandwich, and no more than the quantity inside the sandwich." tongue
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ebonychic18(f): 7:06am On Jul 30, 2018
lalahhh:

I was somehow surprised too.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ebonychic18(f): 7:08am On Jul 30, 2018
overlord77:

yes it has with the drawing of cow head on it. I was surprised, she held it , read it and dropped it back in my back pack
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kolgs(f): 8:19pm On Jul 31, 2018
Hello Aus, I want to ask a question, I know of a person that enter but was not giving 6month stamps, they just stamp their passport for entry alone. What do u guys think? thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 8:34pm On Jul 31, 2018
kolgs:
Hello Aus, I want to ask a question, I know of a person that enter but was not giving 6month stamps, they just stamp their passport for entry alone. What do u guys think? thanks

On record, documented, firmly too however. Check the i-94 out from the CBP website, you should see the details....
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by erico2k2(m): 4:12pm On Aug 01, 2018
TheEnforcer:
Stamped you in for one year?
You sent me an Email, what's up?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ayenikunle: 10:04pm On Aug 01, 2018
ebonychic18:
yes it has with the drawing of cow head on it. I was surprised, she held it , read it and dropped it back in my back pack

Maybe she left it 'cos of the expiry date. It doesn't last more than 5 days after production I guess...
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kaampe1: 6:01am On Aug 02, 2018
Good day house Pls I will to know how to go about this return ticket thing. If you intend staying back for like 3-5months, is it advisable to buy a return ticket for that long considering the fact that you applied for a visa with the intention of attending a conference for just 2 weeks. Wont it be an issue at Poe because I can see here most plan to to stay for just few weeks.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ayenikunle: 6:12am On Aug 02, 2018
kaampe1:
Good day house Pls I will to know how to go about this return ticket thing. If you intend staying back for like 3-5months, is it advisable to buy a return ticket for that long considering the fact that you applied for a visa with the intention of attending a conference for just 2 weeks. Wont it be an issue at Poe because I can see here most plan to to stay for just few weeks.

Do you have a good reason for staying up to 3 months? That should be your 1st worry at the POE...

Yes, a return ticket is required for that B1 visa
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:05am On Aug 02, 2018
kaampe1:

With the way things are at the moment... do you want to risk it and remember this may affect your dropbox renewal... This is my opinion.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ess: 11:56am On Aug 02, 2018
kaampe1:

Why are you staying back for 3-5 months?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by jazzy(f): 2:26am On Aug 03, 2018
Hi Guys,

This is me just sharing my POE story, its been a while we had any.
I shared my Visa story in the USA Visa visit thread a while back. i was supposed to go on vacation in May but work took me to another country so, i had to push it till the end of July. I bought a return ticket through Etihad in May. After i bought the ticket, i was sorta regretting buying it because of the long transit time that came with that particular ticket and all the gist about the US preclearance at Abu Dhabi but in hindsight, it was one of the best decisions i'd made actually.

I left Lagos to Abu Dhabi, flight was about 7 hrs plus, landed around 8pm their time and i checked into my hotel (i got a UAE transit Visa before leaving Nigeria so i was able to enter AbuDhabi proper, i stayed at the Premier inn. After a quick breakfast and check out the next morning, i was on my way to terminal 3, gate 61. It was a long walk but good exercise i guess. After all the security checks ( almost at 3 different places), i joined the queue for the US preclearance. I had a Nigeria man right in front of me.

When it was my turn i stepped forward to an African American lady who was smiling with the previous guy she had just interviewed and my conversation with the CBP Officer went like this:

CBP: Good morning lav
Me: Good morning
CBP: Passport please
Me: (Hands over passport and boarding pass)
CBP: What is your purpose of travelling to the US?
Me: Its my annual Vacation,so holidays
CBP: How long will you be staying in the United States
Me: 24 days
CBP: And you have a return ticket
Me: Yes.
CBP: Whats the address you ll be staying at?
Me: (Told her)
CBP: And you l be staying with a friend? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?
Me: Just a friend. A male friend
CBP: From Nigeria
Me: Yes from Nigeria
CBP:Okay, Are you married?
Me: No
CBP: Tell me what do you do?
Me: I work as a Corporate Strategy Analyst at XXXXXX Bank in Nigeria
CBP: Any foodstuffs?
Me: Just dry food, Melon, Chili, Crayfish
CBP: (she repeats them after me), Okay. (Stamps Passport- 6 months). Alright See ya.
Me: Thanks, Bye.

I walked through and that was that, the boarding gate didnt open on time so we had to stay outside standing for a while before they let us in.
Boarded in good time and after a grueling 12 hours plus. We landed at a domestic wing of JFK (Terminal 4) No queues, no nothing. Just picked up my bags and waited for my friend.

Things arent as bad as people have been portraying them to be, at least i didnt see them drive anyone back. As always just be truthful and move on. Currently in NJ and loving it. 1st time here, definitely would be back.

XOXO

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:41am On Aug 03, 2018
jazzy:
Hi Guys,

This is me just sharing my POE story, its been a while we had any.
I shared my Visa story in the USA Visa visit thread a while back. i was supposed to go on vacation in May but work took me to another country so, i had to push it till the end of July. I bought a return ticket through Etihad in May. After i bought the ticket, i was sorta regretting buying it because of the long transit time that came with that particular ticket and all the gist about the US preclearance at Abu Dhabi but in hindsight, it was one of the best decisions i'd made actually.

Things arent as bad as people have been portraying them to be, at least i didnt see them drive anyone back. As always just be truthful and move on. Currently in NJ and loving it. 1st time here, definitely would be back.

XOXO

Nice one, I've heard a lot of good things about Abu Dhabi Preclearance lately.
Enjoy your holiday bro.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.