Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,241 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493667 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by HelenaEdwin: 4:26pm On Jul 15, 2018
I took emirate. The queue was not so much. The CPO was nice
seyewest:

Nice ... which Airline? hope the queue is not too much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:30pm On Jul 15, 2018
HelenaEdwin:
I took emirate. The queue was not so much. The CPO was nice

Nice.... That means there was more than 8 hours stopover in Dubai for you?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by HelenaEdwin: 6:50pm On Jul 15, 2018
seyewest:

Nice.... That means there was more than 8 hours stopover in Dubai for you?

No. It was 5 hours.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by casey77(m): 8:19pm On Jul 15, 2018
Thanks Omobendel24, I really do appreciate ur response , wat i meant by talki talki implies how visa holders are subjected to interview ( Q $ Answers .CBP vs visa holder) d @poe, .my visa b1b2 category for vacation, .when I made mentioned of Chicago poe, I only used it as reference.how people suggested different ideas n advised too. As for the JFK n EWR, u are absolutely ryt,I need advice on which poe to choose. Once again, I say thank u very much,nt forgetting Mr Seyewest, i appreciate ur contribution.will share my script here as soon as I'm done, hopefully second week of August. Keep d gud wrk
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
Breaking News: The Federal Government just announced the nation's new national airline, Nigeria Air in London today at the Farborough Air fair.
The New National carrier name and logo.
Bringing Nigeria closer to the world and 81 routes (domestic, regional and international) identified for now, for NigeriaAir.

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Schwartz: 10:19pm On Jul 18, 2018
I hope it's not one scrap that has been well used, dumped, sold and refurbished? tongue
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2018
Schwartz:
I hope it's not one scrap that has been well used, dumped, sold and refurbished? tongue

They will buy new planes from the manufacturer.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tranxo(m): 7:35am On Jul 19, 2018
They are negotiating with Airbus and Boeing for new crafts.
Schwartz:
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by okoji: 3:59am On Jul 21, 2018
@neljiggy, did you recover any of your stolen items at jfk?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by sharpman1(m): 11:22am On Jul 22, 2018
So I touched down on Washington Dulles International Airport yesterday (July 21, 2018).

Background:
This is my first trip to the United States. I was a little bit worried before leaving Lagos on Friday because I got my visa last November and was meant to travel last December for a training at a university in DC.

I could not make that trip in December so I decided to come for the next run this July. My firm was to sponsor the trip in December. However, I resigned from the job in April to start out on my own.

So, I was a bit worried that my job situation had changed and I would be sponsoring myself on the trip as against my former company which was stated at the visa interview. Also, I had mentioned at the interview that I would be staying for 8 days but now I planned to stay for 3 weeks.

Trip:
I flew with Qatar and arrived Washington Dulles at about 3.45pm local time after flying for 13hrs from Doha. The queue at the immigration was so long. I estimated almost 1000 people on the line. I was on the queue for about 2hrs.

The interview:
Interview lasted barely 2 minutes.
CBP officer: What are you here for? Business or pleasure?
Me: Business
CBP officer: What business?
Me: I am here for a training at xxxxx school of business.
CBP officer: How long are you staying?
Me: Three weeks
CBP officer: Hope you are not planning to go cross the border to Canada?
Me: I bursted into laughter
CBP officer: You are laughing.... A lot of people are doing that.
Me: Yes, I have heard a lot about that.
CPD officer: Don't do it they will send you back. Enjoy your stay. Stamps me in for 1YEAR till June 2019. I had always assumed maximum was for 6 months.
Me: Thank you.

My training is for 1 week, I will stay additional 2 weeks exploring the US. I plan to visit DC, Maryland, New York, Houston, Milwaukee and Chicago.

I will be back in Lagos by God's grace on August 12, 2018.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 1:15pm On Jul 22, 2018
JFK Terminal 7 is the best place to arrive and depart. Queues exist but not as bad as terminal 1.

Was in the US for like 3 days on business and i swear, I wont use any other terminal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by TheEnforcer: 1:33pm On Jul 22, 2018
sharpman1:
So I touched down on Washington Dulles International Airport yesterday (July 21, 2018).

Background:
This is my first trip to the United States. I was a little bit worried before leaving Lagos on Friday because I got my visa last November and was meant to travel last December for a training at a university in DC.

I could not make that trip in December so I decided to come for the next run this July. My firm was to sponsor the trip in December. However, I resigned from the job in April to start out on my own.

So, I was a bit worried that my job situation had changed and I would be sponsoring myself on the trip as against my former company which was stated at the visa interview. Also, I had mentioned at the interview that I would be staying for 8 days but now I planned to stay for 3 weeks.

Trip:
I flew with Qatar and arrived Washington Dulles at about 3.45pm local time after flying for 13hrs from Doha. The queue at the immigration was so long. I estimated almost 1000 people on the line. I was on the queue for about 2hrs.

The interview:
Interview lasted barely 2 minutes.
CBP officer: What are you here for? Business or pleasure?
Me: Business
CBP officer: What business?
Me: I am here for a training at xxxxx school of business.
CBP officer: How long are you staying?
Me: Three weeks
CBP officer: Hope you are not planning to go to cross the border to Canada?
Me: I busted into laughter
CBP officer: You are laughing.... A lot of people are doing that.
Me: Yes, I have heard a lot about that.
CPD officer: Don't do it they will send you back. Enjoy your stay. Stamps me in for 1YEAR till June 2019. I had always assumed maximum was for 6 months.
Me: Thank you.

My training is for 1 week, I will stay additional 2 weeks exploring the US. I plan to visit DC, Maryland, New York, Houston, Milwaukee and Chicago.

I will be back in Lagos by God's grace on August 12, 2018.

Stamped you in for one year?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by sharpman1(m): 1:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
TheEnforcer:
Stamped you in for one year?

I am telling you. Till 20 Jun 2019. Maybe he meant to write Jan.

But it does not really matter. I am out in August.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OmoBendel24: 2:49pm On Jul 22, 2018
sharpman1:

Congrats on your safe arrival. Going to the US for a business visit with a business visa issued previous year but you couldn't make it is yet in order. However, you had something going for you, you weren't questioned unnecessarily.

Imagine Dulles peeps talking of the border issue! It is well....

Will however too suggest you check with the CBP website to ascertain officially till when you got stamped in for. I really don't see how that can be more than 180 days. Regards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by sharpman1(m): 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2018
OmoBendel24:

Will however too suggest you check with the CBP website to ascertain officially till when you got stamped in for. I really don't see how that can be more than 180 days. Regards

Thanks... Just checked.

It's actually Jan 20, 2019 on the website. That's 6 months.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ebonychic18(f): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2018
sharpman1:

Lol look very well it's Jan 2019. I have same on my passport I arrived on 19th July via emirates same JFK
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:05pm On Jul 22, 2018
moonraker:
JFK Terminal 7 is the best place to arrive and depart. Queues exist but not as bad as terminal 1.

Was in the US for like 3 days on business and i swear, I wont use any other terminal.

Depending on where your flight is landing and leaving from.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Vickydicky: 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2018
Please how do you check this on cbp website can you please enlighten me am on their site but I don't know where to go from there.thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:07pm On Jul 22, 2018
Vickydicky:
Please how do you check this on cbp website can you please enlighten me am on their site but I don't know where to go from there.thanks

check what?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Chuchunana: 10:50pm On Jul 22, 2018
moonraker:

It's mostly a function of the airline...you can't just choose a particular terminal

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2018
Chuchunana:

It's mostly a function of the airline...you can't just choose a particular terminal

Exactly
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 2:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
Chuchunana:

angry Like seriously Ofcourse I know that... Obviously the message i was trying

to pass on here was I would never use an airliner that doesnt use Terminal 7.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by hammed71(m): 2:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
moonraker:

angry Like are seriously Ofcourse I know that... Obviously the message i was trying

to pass on here was I would never use an airliner that doesnt use Terminal 7.
what airline is that please
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 2:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
seyewest:

Depending on where your flight is landing and leaving from.

Direct flights from my base, touch down at terminal 7. SO its a no brainer.

In the past, i would use indirect flights that would touch down at Terminal 1 and 5.

I wont be doing that ever again...
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2018
hammed71:
what airline is that please

ANA airlines.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2018
moonraker:

ANA airlines.

ANA is Japanese right
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ayenikunle: 9:56pm On Jul 23, 2018
seyewest:

ANA is Japanese right

Yea, and i doubt they have flights to the USA from Nigeria
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by hammed71(m): 10:14pm On Jul 23, 2018
ayenikunle:

Yea, and i doubt they have flights to the USA from Nigeria
even if they start it will be a very long journey to the us
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:59pm On Jul 23, 2018
hammed71:
even if they start it will be a very long journey to the us

The flight will not even make sense unless it's multi city.... i.e LOS-DXB-NRT-JFK-LOS (Lagos-Dubai-Narita(japan)-New York-Lagos). This is a round the world trip
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 1:11am On Jul 24, 2018
seyewest:

ANA is Japanese right

Yeah
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ebonychic18(f): 7:28am On Jul 25, 2018
POE: JFK

I flew emirates arrived JFK about 25mins before the expected arrival time. Egypt air and one other airline were already on ground, there were too many people on the ground the queue was something else. Proceeded to the scanner did my biometrics collected the printout as I was looking left and right trying to figure out what next, an officer signalled me, I stepped forward, she looked at my slip and directed me to another female officer.

CPB: Why are you here?
Me....holiday
Cpb....How long?
Me.....12days
Cpb... can i see your return ticket? I showed her
Cpb..... enjoy your holiday
Me....Thanks
Proceeded to baggage claim picked up my box. On getting to the exit just about to go out I brought out my phone to call my host. Another female officer walks up to me and the following ensued

Cpb....is this your first time here? No

Cpb.... why are you here? Holiday
Cpb....When are you leaving?
Me... 12days time. Do you want to see my ticket?
Cpb...No. what was the purpose of your last visit?
Me..... conference
Cpb..... who will you be staying with?
Me.....the sister of my friend
Cpb...is she the one you're trying to call?
Me... Yes, she's outside.
Cpb.... I'm gonna search your bag
Me.... with all pleasure.
She searched my box and my backpack. I had beans, ukwa, yaji, groundnuts, plenty gala. She checked them all. Told me thanks enjoy your holiday.

All the above took less than 15mins from arrival till I walked out because it still wasn't 7pm.

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by OluGlo: 9:27am On Jul 25, 2018
I am new on this forum. In fact a friend actually asked me to come and seek for help here. This is my story. My family secured a visiting visa to the US sometimes last year with my nephew who is staying with my family. We travelled to the US few months ago. On the day of our departure back to Nigeria, my nephew told me he wanted to collect something from his friend (the friend actually came to see him like twice and he also passed few nights with the friend, though I don’t know where the friend stay). My nephew left to see the friend but never came back. I called his number but was switched off. Few minutes later, he sent me a text message that he is sorry as he couldn’t tell me his plan. But he is not returning back to Nigeria. I was speechless and disappointed. I called his dad in Nigeria and his dad told me he just sent him a similar text message too. My family has since come back to Nigeria without him.

Now, here is my fear. Will his abscond affect my family’s subsequent travel to the US and other countries? I recently received an ITA from IRCC for migration to Canada. I hope my nephew’s abscond will not affect our process. Please help, what should I do?

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.