Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,556 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power (7037 Views)

Lai Mohammed Enjoys Push-Up Exercise With Army Officers (Photos) / War On Terror: Military Now Enjoys Support From Civilian Communities - Olukolade / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by whatalife: 6:02am On Dec 16, 2009
Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power
From Okon Bassey in Uyo, 12.16.2009
Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Akwa Ibom has in the last four months enjoyed uninterrupted power supply given the successful completion of its Independent Power Plant (IPP) at Ikot-Abasi Local Government Area.

All the communities within 10 kilometres from the plant have experienced smooth supply of electricity. The IPP is expected to provide uninterrupted power to all parts of the state in a gradual process. From yesterday, 11 megawatts was released to the people in Eket and environs. According to the authorities, in the next two weeks, Uyo, the state capital, and other parts of the state are expected to be energized by power from the IPP.

The first phase of the 685 megawatts Ibom Power Plant has the capacity to generate 191 megawatts into the national grid. The Minister of Power, Dr. Lanre Babalola, who authorized the exercise after visiting the plant in Ikot Abasi, commended Governor Godswill Akpabio for his commitment to completing the project which he inherited at about 40 per cent completion stage from the administration of Obong Victor Attah.

Babalola said by completing and switching on the power, Akpabio was fulfilling his electoral promises and contributing to the Federal Government’s quest to provide 6,000 megawatts of power by the end of December 2009. The minister had in an interview with journalists at Akwa Ibom International Airport before his departure to Abuja, lauded Governor Akpabio for his courage in undertaking the project.

Babalola observed that since the Eket line had been energized, the second turbine would also be energized to enable other people enjoy stable power supply in the state and beyond. He disclosed that work was on-going in Delta and Afam Power Plants and hoped that challenges to successful completion would be resolved.

The minister acknowledged that the project would raise the standard of living while the airport would open up the state to the international community. Akpabio, who commended his predecessor, Attah, for initiating the project, said he completed it in fulfillment of one his campaign promises to improve the lives of citizens in the state. He recalled that during the elections, the people massively voted for him hence the need to do more for them to reciprocate their kind gesture.

The governor said other local government areas would soon be linked to the Ibom Power Plant. Akpabio called on the Federal Government to deregulate the gas sector to enable interested companies harness abundant gas reserve for stable electricity supply in the country. Akpabio argued that inadequate gas supply to IPPs could stifle Federal Government’s effort to meet the power supply needs of Nigerians.

According to him, “We recognize the inadequacy of Nigerian Gas Company (NGC) to supply gas to all companies in the country. We were proactive by entering into an agreement with Seventh Energy which is a guarantee form to harness the abundant gas reserves in the state and deposited $33 million with the company”.

The governor appealed to the ministry of power to include Ibom Power Plant in the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) of the Federal Government. He added: “Let Ibom Power Plant be the first to sign agreement with PPA. Now that we have energized our IPP line starting from Eket, I want you to use us as a nucleus in signing PPA. We are ready to offload our remaining megawatts to your power line to boost the National grid.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162069
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by naijaway(m): 6:06am On Dec 16, 2009
Good news and intresting. I hope this company keeps it up and other states can emulate the dedication and willingness to accomplish events not just by the state govt but also intelligent citizens. May God lead us there to glory.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by babapupa: 6:47am On Dec 16, 2009
Dumb ass PDP silly games, Idiots.

Good for A. Ibom sha,
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 7:10am On Dec 16, 2009
whatalife:

From yesterday, 11 megawatts was released to the people in Eket and environs. According to the authorities, in the next two weeks, Uyo, the state capital, and other parts of the state are expected to be energized by power from the IPP.
The first phase of the 685 megawatts Ibom Power Plant has the capacity to generate 191 megawatts into the national grid.  

Babalola said by completing and switching on the power, Akpabio was fulfilling his electoral promises and contributing to the Federal Government’s quest to provide 6,000 megawatts of power by the end of December 2009. The minister had in an interview with journalists at Akwa Ibom International Airport before his departure to Abuja, lauded Governor Akpabio for his courage in undertaking the project.

The governor appealed to the ministry of power to include Ibom Power Plant in the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) of the Federal Government. He added: “Let Ibom Power Plant be the first to sign agreement with PPA. Now that we have energized our IPP line starting from Eket, I want you to use us as a nucleus in signing PPA. We are ready to offload our remaining megawatts to your power line to boost the National grid.”
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162069

@Poster, What about the "NATIONAL GRID" argument? Why are the residents able to enjoy uninterrupted power supply if the power plant is plugged into the national grid?  grin
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by OgidiBoy(m): 7:16am On Dec 16, 2009
That awesome news, that's what needs to start happening in Nigerian. Each region should be able to generate it's own electricity for it's power grid, just that one little power station in Nigeria" what the name again" it's not enough to generate the power needs for Nigeria. Nigeria is growing faster than expected.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by whatalife: 7:19am On Dec 16, 2009
@Kobojunkie
I think the federal govt as a way of encouraging state govt. to get into the business of power generation, each state will keep a sizable part of what they generate for their own consumption which i think is good.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 7:21am On Dec 16, 2009
whatalife:

@Kobojunkie
I think the federal govt as a way of encouraging state govt. to get into the business of power generation, each state will keep a sizable part of what they generate for their own consumption which i think is good.

An argument has been put forth by some that it is a WASTE for states to even embark on Power generation projects of this sort because, according to them, ALL power generated goes into the National grid and likely not to the people in the states where the power was generated.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by THEAMAKA1: 7:24am On Dec 16, 2009
this is great!!
up Akwa Ibom
new everything. . .
cheesy

*other states, take note*
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by whatalife: 7:45am On Dec 16, 2009
An argument has been put forth by some that it is a WASTE for states to even embark on Power generation projects of this sort because, according to them, ALL power generated goes into the National grid and likely not to the people in the states where the power was generated.

that is very true my brother.All power generated goes to the National grid, But i think all this stuff are real high wire politics which to me goes beyond being discuss on the pages of newspapers.Nigeria as a country am very sure has no real statiscal data on what it generates in terms of power, all we see is light from nepa.
I remember reading in the daily some few weeks ago that nnpc has no record of all the crude oil it has sold in the last 13 years, just remit what they feel like to the govt.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by brooknam99: 7:53am On Dec 16, 2009
11 megawatts?? Or 11000 megawatts?that's not even enough to light up two streets in canarsie!!!wuts 11 megawatts for,to light up their candles?u better off using flashlights
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by babapupa: 8:31am On Dec 16, 2009
You guys missed all the BS in the article.

This is straight PDP nonsense. I think the interpretation here is "PDP states are free to bypass the National grid, keep whatever they generate while non PDP states with same IPP power projects like Lagos bares the ridiculous National grid crap burden. This is nothing but another silly campaign strategy.

The minister acknowledged that the project would raise the standard of living while the airport would open up the state to the international community. Akpabio, who commended his predecessor, Attah, for initiating the project, said he completed it in fulfillment of one his campaign promises to improve the lives of citizens in the state. He recalled that during the elections, the people massively voted for him hence the need to do more for them to reciprocate their kind gesture.

lol @ 11 MW, somebody is tripping.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 8:35am On Dec 16, 2009
Roflmao!!! OH BOY!!!
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by blacksta(m): 8:36am On Dec 16, 2009
brooknam99:

11 megawatts?? Or 11000 megawatts?that's not even enough to light up two streets in canarsie!!!wuts 11 megawatts for,to light up their candles?u better off using flashlights

My dear friend  11 megawatts is a lot of electrcity

in the mid-western US with central air conditioning, 11 MW can supply any of these:

- 3,000 average homes with central air --. (assumes 5 kW per home)
- 150 fast food restaurants
- 30 large retail stores
- 15grocery stores
- 15 large home improvement stores
-1 Sears Towers
- 1 computer data center

Please bear in mind Nigerians dont use as much electricity as the U.s  so you can double above effort
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 8:39am On Dec 16, 2009
whatalife:

that is very true my brother.All power generated goes to the National grid, [b]But i think all this stuff are real high wire politics which to me goes beyond being discuss on the pages of newspapers.[/b]Nigeria as a country am very sure has no real statiscal data on what it generates in terms of power, all we see is light from nepa.
I remember reading in the daily some few weeks ago that nnpc has no record of all the crude oil it has sold in the last 13 years, just remit what they feel like to the govt.

Could you please expound on the statement in bold?
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by babapupa: 9:00am On Dec 16, 2009
blacksta:

My dear friend  11 megawatts is a lot of electrcity

in the mid-western US with central air conditioning, 11 MW can supply any of these:

- 3,000 average homes with central air --. (assumes 5 kW per home)
- 150 fast food restaurants
- 30 large retail stores
- 15grocery stores
- 15 large home improvement stores
-1 Sears Towers
- 1 computer data center

Please bear in mind Nigerians dont use as much electricity as the U.s  so you can double above effort

Talking rubbish no dey taya you? 11 MW no fit power more than 1500 average US homes.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 9:08am On Dec 16, 2009
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by prettyG: 9:27am On Dec 16, 2009
babapupa:

Talking rubbish no dey taya you? 11 MW no fit power more than 1500 average US homes.

You are a real bushman. Let us assume that you are correct (but you are not sha). The power consumption in one US home would be a lot more than the power consumption in the average Akwa Ibom home because of all the added devices they have, central heating, central air-conditioning, automated waste disposal, multiple refrigeration, how many homes in Lagos have all of these?

Mumu.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by brooknam99: 9:32am On Dec 16, 2009
@blacsta,I won't claim to be an electrical expert,but I'll tell u this,dear sir,u r full of crock!!! @ pretty g so u agree that 11 megawatts aint enough to power two streets in canarsie?
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kobojunkie: 9:36am On Dec 16, 2009
brooknam99:

@blacsta,I won't claim to be an electrical expert,but I'll tell u this,dear sir,u r full of crock!!! @ pretty g so u agree that 11 megawatts aint enough to power two streets in canarsie?

1MW can power about 300 houses, and even more(24/7 supply with no mise on power use), in the US. See below links for more info

Kobojunkie:

http://enduse.lbl.gov/Info/CA_Presentation/sld012.htm

http://www.greatlakeswiki.org/index.php/How_many_homes_can_be_supplied_by_each_MW_of_wind_power%3F

http://www.utilipoint.com/issuealert/print.asp?id=1728

http://www.metaefficient.com/news/new-record-worlds-largest-wind-turbine-7-megawatts.html

Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by babapupa: 9:40am On Dec 16, 2009
prettyG:

You are a real bushman. Let us assume that you are correct (but you are not sha). The power consumption in one US home would be a lot more than the power consumption in the average Akwa Ibom home because of all the added devices they have, central heating, central air-conditioning, automated waste disposal, multiple refrigeration, how many homes in Lagos have all of these?

Mumu.

Look at this olodo lack of no comprehension. who's talking about Akwa Ibom? You see anything like Akwa Ibom inside my post or was the person I quoted even talking about Akwa Ibom.

Abeg shatap and go peddle your no info post else where, it's not by force to drop knowledge .
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by detopshot(m): 9:50am On Dec 16, 2009
@poster: do you agree with the writer that the state has enjoyed uninterrupted power from the IPP for the past 4months? And that towns within 10km around the plant has done so in the past 4months? I'm from the same L.G.A in which the plant is located. There's been un interrupted power from ALSCON since 2007 when the company resumed operation, NOT FROM IPP. Which part of Akwa Ibom do you stay? I stay in Uyo the state capital. Journalists should always confirm news items wif realities on ground before they publish.
@brooknam: for your information, Akwa Ibom state needs only 65MW of electricity. If you did read the article carefully you would've seen known that only Eket and environs were supplied about 11 MW which is more than enough- the consumers' stab reads 240V. If you doubt, go there and find out!
@blackstar: good reasoning.
@babapupa: do you stay in the US and r you an electrical engr? If your not, pls contact one and find out.
May God bless our land NIGERIA!!:-):-)
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by prettyG: 10:19am On Dec 16, 2009
brooknam99:

no i dont agree. 11MW is more than enuff to power an average size town.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by prettyG: 10:19am On Dec 16, 2009
babapupa:

Look at this olodo lack of no comprehension. who's talking about Akwa Ibom? You see anything like Akwa Ibom inside my post or was the person I quoted even talking about Akwa Ibom.

Abeg shatap and go peddle your no info post else where, it's not by force to drop knowledge .

no wonder you failed all your exams. dunce.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by detopshot(m): 10:34am On Dec 16, 2009
@babap & prettyG: una dey serious or, ? tak am easy abeg. this isn't an issue.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by detopshot(m): 11:52am On Dec 16, 2009
@Kobojunkie: thanks 4d info. 1MW can power 300-800 homes at peak or 900- 1400 homes at an average (and that's even in advanced and developed countries)
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by rukyus: 12:07pm On Dec 16, 2009
Dear nairalanders, this is not true ooooooooooooo. I am presently @ Akwa Ibom serving and their power suply is epileptic. There have been no light for about too weeks now. The Ibom power poject was been test run about 2days ago and it only covered a region of the state which is eket. Akwa Ibom power supply is an apology to the coreeeeee
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Ben13: 12:15pm On Dec 16, 2009
This part of Nigeria keeps making things happen. What's behind it?
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by dominique(f): 12:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
A/ibom is one of the smallest and least populated states in the country. power generation to such state shouldnt be too challenging, a far cry for areas like Lagos or kano.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Spyker: 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2009
Hip Hip Hip, Hurray for Akpabio. Rivers state started it during the Odili power and was unable to power homes because NEPA or PHCN has the license to distribution power and with their obsolete equipment and plants, the turbine project fail. Amaechi continued it and up till now Rivers State is still wallowing in darkness. So, how did the Akwa Ibom state government pull this off or is this another power on the pages of newspapers. Is there any ibomite or resident of Akwa Ibom state in the forum to prove this story as true. Otherwise, this will be like the generator-commissioned gas turbine of the Dr. Peter Odili and Olusegun Obasanjo era.

Good for Akwa Ibom is this is true and that is why is am hailing them. Hip, Hip. Hip.
HUuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
rukyus:

Dear nairalanders, this is not true ooooooooooooo. I am presently @ Akwa Ibom serving and their power suply is epileptic. There have been no light for about too weeks now. The Ibom power poject was been test run about 2days ago and it only covered a region of the state which is eket. Akwa Ibom power supply is an apology to the coreeeeee

Did you read the news the poster posted, I am an Akwa Abasi Ibom citizen and I am home based. what part of the state do you stay? You are so narrow minded and blind to facts. Or do you think I browse on my PC with gen supply?

I reside in town and I am sure of more than 14hrs of daily supply of power, if it interrupts I'm sure of restoration in the next 3 hrs at least.

Give me a break,
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Kafancha: 12:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
@brooknam99
I think you lack knowledge completely on electricity. How can you doubt the number of homes 11MW of electricity can power. You are just a complete novice in physics
Re: Akwa Ibom Enjoys Uninterrupted Power by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster,  What about the "NATIONAL GRID" argument? Why are the residents able to enjoy uninterrupted power supply if the power plant is plugged into the national grid?  grin

The will be a time the yoke shall be broken from off her neck and they shall be free,  I think some persons were enlighten to continue the oppression their fore father never stopped, the arc of the moral universe is long and it bend towards justice,, MLK,

I believe in equal rights, standard of life, justice and healthy living for the citizenry. I do not believe in majority or minority, black or white or asian american, indian american, or pueto rican. I believe in a common race for a common course of unity. Obama

what has been done right in Nigeria before?, the minority feeds the nation and it is oppressed on top of that, yet a fool finds it not compelling to ask the majority(task masters) of our right!!!!

Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone ! Just leave us to our taste if we'll come back asking for more. Ok we should remain quiet for the oppression to continue fools,

God punish the devil!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obi Inagurates New Cabinet / Traditional Rulers Order Of Importance And Heirarchy / GEJ Is a Failure- Willie Obiano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.