Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! (5737 Views)

Masquerade Uses Statue Of Jesus Christ For His Performance. See Reactions / Statue Of Mary 'begins Weeping Blood' At A Church In Argentina (photo) / "Statue Of Jesus In Anambra Drops Water Miraculously"(Photos Shared On Facebook) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 12, 2017
A team of archaeologists has discovered a giant 3,000-year-old statue thought to depict Ramses II, in what the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities is describing as "one of [its] most important archaeological discoveries."

Archaeologists from Egypt and Germany began removing the quartzite statue -- estimated to stand 30 feet tall -- from the ground in Matariya, greater Cairo, in front of state representatives and media crews Thursday.
The find comes at the end of a dig that began in 2012, says Dietrich Raue from the University of Leipzig, who heads the German team of archaeologists involved in the excavation.

"It was in an area that was almost completely investigated," he explains. The team had found basalt bases in the dilapidated courtyard, but nothing more substantial. "We thought [the pit] would be empty without any features... so that was a great surprise."
Minister of Antiquities Khaled al-Anani, who was on site for the unveiling, said the figure is most likely Pharaoh Ramses II, otherwise known as Ozymandias.

No inscriptions on the statue identify it as Ramses II, said Mahmoud Afifi, head of Ancient Egyptian antiquities at the ministry, but its discovery near the gate of a temple dedicated to Ramses II temple makes him the most likely subject. But Raue says although the statue was certainly placed there by Ramses II, the jury is still out on who it depicts.
Much of the temple complex of ancient Heliopolis, where the statue was found, was destroyed in the Greco-Roman period, and antiquities were plundered and sent to Alexandria or Europe. Other building materials were recycled as Cairo reinvented itself in later eras.

Ramses II, a colossus known as the "Great Ancestor" to his descendants, ruled for 66 years from 1279 to 1213 BC as part of Ancient Egypt's 19th dynasty. He conquered swathes of Nubia in modern-day Sudan and Syria.
His exploits have echoed down the ages, inspiring British poet Percy Bysshe Shelley to pen sonnet "Ozymandias" three millennia later in 1818:
"Round the decay / Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare / The lone and level sands stretch far away," Shelley wrote, imagining a Ramses II statue in ruins. But rather than endless desert and the Valley of the Kings, this Ozymandias was retrieved from a pit swamped with groundwater.

The ministry has come under fire on social media and from some news outlets for using a forklift truck to extract part of the statue from the site. Afifi responded by saying the sheer weight of the head was a factor, with Raue confirming the statue had not been damaged in the process.
Archaeologists are still working out how to remove the even larger torso portion of the statue, the ministry adds.
The dig has also uncovered a 31-inch section of a life-sized limestone statue of Ramses II's grandson Seti II. The dig is continuing, and experts hope to uncover more of the Ozymandias statue for restoration.
"I'm rather sure that [the hips and legs] will be there," Raue says, "but the problem is we're in the middle of the city, and the bottom part may be very close to the houses. It would be dangerous to excavate closer to the houses, so probably we will not get the bottom part."
Raue told CNN he doubts a full reconstruction of the face will be possible, though he said fragments of the eyes, crown and lips have been retrieved.
The head and torso will be moved to the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza, which is due to open in 2018.

For those who do not know, The Ten Commandments (in line with its non-Biblical source material and a fair amount of popular culture) identifies Pharaoh Rameses II, a.k.a. Rameses the Great as the Pharaoh who Opposed Moses during the Exodus

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1fhz_2ncvU

Source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/10/africa/ramses-ii-ozymandias-statue-cairo/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/egypt-pharaoh-ramses-statue-discovered-cairo/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-egypt-archaeology-idUSKBN16G2A2

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 12, 2017

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2017
cc kingebukanaija, kingebukasblog, felixomor,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by felixomor: 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
4everGod:
cc kingebukanaija, kingebukasblog, felixomor,

God's Word is Yea and Amen!

These were some people's desperate attempt to erase truth and history.
Little by little, all truth will prevail.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by alBHAGDADI: 7:02pm On Mar 12, 2017
felixomor:

God's Word is Yea and Amen!

These were some people's desperate attempt to erase truth and history.
Little by little, all truth will prevail.
The Bible is very historical, unlike the Quran that has no historical backing in any form.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 12, 2017
Quite amazing....the statue was huge. I can only imagine how long it took the slaves to build that for him. Egotism.....to the highest degree.

2 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:
Quite amazing....the statue was huge. I can only imagine how long it took the slaves to build that for him. Egotism.....to the highest degree.

Yep and God used an Israelite slave adopted by him to humble him. God indeed uses the foolish things to confound the wise.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 12, 2017
4everGod:

Yep and God used an Israelite slave adopted by him to humble him. God indeed uses the foolish things to confound the wise.

Yes sir He does!
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by dalaman: 9:43pm On Mar 12, 2017
4everGod:

For those who do not know, The Ten Commandments (in line with its non-Biblical source material and a fair amount of popular culture) identifies Pharaoh Rameses II, a.k.a. Rameses the Great as the Pharaoh who Opposed Moses during the Exodus

Where in the ten commandments was Remeses identified as the Pharoah who oposed Moses? Moses does not appear in any ancient Egyptian text and at no time were the Hebrews ever enslaved in Egypt. The bible does not at any point mention the name of the Pharoah during the Exodus.

6 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
dalaman:

Where in the ten commandments was Remeses identified as the Pharoah who oposed Moses? Moses does not appear in any ancient Egyptian text and at no time were the Hebrews ever enslaved in Egypt. The bible does not at any point mention the name of the Pharoah during the Exodus.

With all due respect....."really"?
May we enjoy the discovery of Ramses'statue in peace?

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by dalaman: 10:46pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:

Yes. I stand by every word you read, because it is true. This Remeses statue has nothing to do with the bible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 12, 2017
dalaman:

Yes. I stand by every word you read, because it is true. This Remeses statue has nothing to do with the bible.

If he is or isn't, why does that make you upset?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:

Lol...

Hypocrites.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Lol...

Hypocrites.

Hi Sir Sceptical,
I don't mind being called a hypocrite if you can tell me exactly what I've done (in your eyes) to be deemed worthy of the title?
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:

Hi Sir Sceptical,
I don't mind being called a hypocrite if you can tell me exactly what I've done (in your eyes) to be deemed worthy of the title?
You know his questions are valid but wish to avoid the embarrassment of questioning a clearly misleading post.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
You know his questions are valid but wish to avoid the embarrassment of questioning a clearly misleading post.

No sir..I wish to avoid the embarrassment of getting into meaningless debates over my faith...with young men. I don't get my "highs" that way.
There's so much more to life.

7 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:

No sir..I wish to avoid the embarrassment of getting into meaningless debates over my faith...with young men. I don't get my "highs" that way.
There's so much more to life.
Stop encouraging people who present baseless stories just to grease their rusting faith.

It is obvious that there is no necessary connection between that statue and the bible stories.

Why do you have to jump in without properly scrutinizing his claim?

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Stop encouraging people who present baseless stories just to grease their rusting faith.

It is obvious that there is no necessary connection between that statue and the bible stories.

Why do you have to jump in without properly scrutinizing his claim?

Why did your "brother" jump into a thread that we were enjoying? I'm not blocking the other guy from speaking if he wants to.
Just so you know, everything's not a debate. Don't you guys get tired of attacking the Bible?
You guys don't touch the Quran...interestingly enough.

6 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 12, 2017
That discovery has a deep spiritual meaning!! Unmh! Only the enlightened will understand.

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:03am On Mar 13, 2017
^^^^^

See what I mean?
MZLady39:

Why did your "brother" jump into a thread that we were enjoying? I'm not blocking the other guy from speaking if he wants to.
Just so you know, everything's not a debate. Don't you guys get tired of attacking the Bible?
The Quran is a manual for terrorists, inarguably.

Many are yet to know the horrors and errors contained in the bible.

I'll leave you to enjoy yourself, for now, since you asked nicely.

I'll continue tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:04am On Mar 13, 2017
^^^^^

See what I mean?
MZLady39:

The Quran is a manual for terrorists, inarguably.

Many are yet to know the horrors and errors contained in the bible.

I'll leave you to enjoy yourself for now since you asked nicely.

I'll continue tomorrow.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Ranchhoddas: 1:15am On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:

I don't think that was the author's intention.

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 1:30am On Mar 13, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
I don't think that was the author's intention.

Oh okay..so what do you think it was then?

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Ranchhoddas: 1:45am On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:

Oh okay..so what do you think it was then?
Pay attention!
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 1:57am On Mar 13, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Pay attention!

Oh I didn't know you already knew what the author meant. Silly me undecided
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by dalaman: 7:05am On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:

If he is or isn't, why does that make you upset?

Upset? Since when has debunking false stories turn to being upset? The way you guys reason is pathetic sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Ranchhoddas: 7:39am On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:

Oh I didn't know you already knew what the author meant. Silly me undecided
Is this an attempt at humour?
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:40am On Mar 13, 2017
Excellent story , great discovery . The confused and foolish will still argue .

Skepticism : I will reject anything that questions my core beliefs as false . LOL

3 Likes

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 13, 2017
dalaman:

Why are you so dense and your disciple ScepticalPyrrho your mirror copy? My mention of the Ten Commandments was i referencing the TEN COMMANDMENTS IN THE BIBLE OR THE FILM...THE TEN COMMANDMENTS? Are you this doltish?

How come you missed this part of the same comment where you foolishly singled out the Ten commandments alone

(in line with its non-Biblical source material and a fair amount of popular culture) identifies Pharaoh Rameses II, a.k.a. Rameses the Great as the Pharaoh who Opposed Moses during the Exodus

Historians have it that Ramses lived between 1279 – 1213 BC. Same Historians have it that Moses lived between 1391–1271 BC. Plus the existence of the Hittites and the mention of the conquest of the Hittites by Ramses via dates puts him smack in the era of Moses based on Biblical description of the location of the Hittites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites. Remember the Bible says The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south: and the Hittites, and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the mountains: and the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and by the coast of Jordan.

Obviously you are not Bible Historian but have always been an uninformed Bible critic. The reason why I included the Film THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was to force people like you to think deep but you lack that capacity obviously.

Epic Movies before being made (especially when they are to be based on facts and expected to be as real and true as possible) the producers go through a lot of research one of which are historically sourced. Using Ramses as the Pharoah was very correct because History supports it.

Exodus 12:37King James Version (KJV)

37 And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.

Exodus 1:11King James Version (KJV)

11 Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Ramses.

Ramses mentioned there referred to cities built in honour of the current Pharoah at that time and as you can see the name of the city was Ramses.

I suggest you study and stop criticizing in an empty manner

cc MZlady39 ignore those atheistic court Jesters.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 13, 2017
Ranchhoddas the above comment was also for you.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Ranchhoddas: 9:25am On Mar 13, 2017
4everGod:
Ranchhoddas the above comment was also for you.
Really? I'm flattered.
MZLady39, I'm sure you can read in- between the lines now.
Re: Another Validation To The Bible And Its Contents. Statue of Ramses II unearthed! by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 13, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Really? I'm flattered.
MZLady39, I'm sure you can read in- between the lines now.

She does not need to read between the lines of truth. You and your ilk are the ones attempting to do so. My topic said it all so nothing to decode any further.

You have really dropped in intelligence ever since you began swimming in the same murky waters with those Jesters. This is not the person i spoke with over the phone and chatted with. Wise up and return...You are spiraling

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manipulating Mass Psychology. . . I Was In Church On Sunday. . . / Why Are You Really Going To Church Today? / Information: Evidence Of A Creator.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.