Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,280 members, 7,839,385 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today (27085 Views)

Sacked Senator Atai Aidoko Ali Defies Court, Attends Senate Plenary / Photos Of Hameed Ali Answering Questions In The Senate Today / Senators Hold Close Door Meeting With Customs Boss Hameed Ali. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by mavinc4u(f): 12:50pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
ignorance before the law is not an excuse. U r supposed to do due diligence and make sure all documents are legit before buying a car. When u buy a stolen car unknowingly and police catches u, is that an excuse. Meanwhile most people even intentionally go for cars they "fly" into the country without custom duty cos it's cheaper. That's corruption. Yet u will point at a government official for being corrupt. If this exercise records success, believe me nobody will want to buy a car without custom duty payment. Then no dealer will want to have a car without custom duty payment. If all dealers now decide to pay appropriately, tell me where the corrupt custom officer will see sharp practices to do.

I don't talk much. Tell me, are you taking your car there for the exercise?
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by dokyOloye: 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
ignorance before the law is not an excuse. U r supposed to do due diligence and make sure all documents are legit before buying a car. When u buy a stolen car unknowingly and police catches u, is that an excuse. Meanwhile most people even intentionally go for cars they "fly" into the country without custom duty cos it's cheaper. That's corruption. Yet u will point at a government official for being corrupt. If this exercise records success, believe me nobody will want to buy a car without custom duty payment. Then no dealer will want to have a car without custom duty payment. If all dealers now decide to pay appropriately, tell me where the corrupt custom officer will see sharp practices to do.
why not channel d punishment to d corrupt customs officials and their importer collaborators?
How many ordinary Nigerians know d nitty gritty of appropriate and genuine custom duty?
The customs agents and importers who perpetrate these crimes,are they spirits, why can't they be traced and punished instead of transferring d punishment to d innocent car owners?
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 13, 2017
mavinc4u:

Define change for me?
babe,let me be.please go and do ur custom duty.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 12:59pm On Mar 13, 2017
mavinc4u:

I don't talk much. Tell me, are you taking your car there for the exercise?
All my cars have full custom duty paid. I ensured that. And please don't take your car to their command o. Just go with ur papers.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by mavinc4u(f): 1:00pm On Mar 13, 2017
AntiIPOB:
babe,let me be.please go and do ur custom duty.

grin not until you have done on all your appliances.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 1:02pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
why not channel d punishment to d corrupt customs officials and their importer collaborators?
How many ordinary Nigerians know d nitty gritty of appropriate and genuine custom duty?
The customs agents and importers who perpetrate these crimes,are they spirits, why can't they be traced and punished instead of transferring d punishment to d innocent car owners?
my brother, I quite understand u. But in management what matters is getting the result and not how u get it. It is the quest to buy very cheap cars that push most importers to fly cars. Also the greed by some importers too. Picture an image where no one wants to buy a car without custom duty becos of past experience or that of a friend.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 13, 2017
mavinc4u:

grin not until you have done on all your appliances.
Then,marry me.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by nextprince: 1:06pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
A vehicle can be cheaper due to many factors.
Mr A might have bought far cheaper than Mr B,for example he might have bought from d direct owner abroad unlike Mr B who buy from car dealers and auctions.
Mr A might want to make small gain and higher turnover unlike Mr B who wants big gain and less turnover.This is d reason cotonou cars are cheaper.
Mr A might have a pressing person issues he wants to solve,or have a business prospect with higher gains so he might also want to sell at a giveaway price.
Mr A might buy an accidented car wc is always cheaper and therefore sell cheaper too unlike Mr B who buys only clean titled cars.
D list is endless bro.

Thanks, I quite understand ur explanation and I agree.

But on a different issue, just an innocent question. Have heard of the expression "clean titled car" several times and based on how it appears in your post, is it the exact opposite of "accidented car"? Just an innocent question pls.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by mavinc4u(f): 1:14pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
All my cars have full custom duty paid. I ensured that. And please don't take your car to their command o. Just go with ur papers.

Were the duty paid by you or the importer ?

How do we know that all your cars have full custom duty paid on them if you are not going there for the exercise because custom did not put exemption, they said all should come and check.

Take your car or take your document is still the same thing at least you will not trek to that place and if they claim there is a missing document then the car would be there for them to complete the formalities.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by dokyOloye: 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
nextprince:

Thanks, I quite understand ur explanation and I agree.

But on a different issue, just an innocent question. Have heard of the expression "clean titled car" several times and based on how it appears in your post, is it the exact opposite of "accidented car"? Just an innocent question pls.
Yeah.
Clean titled means it has never been in any major accident,maybe minor scratches.
Accidented car has been in a major accident that probably affected d chassis or deployed d airbags though as at d time U are buying d car in Lagos,it might have been reworked and repainted but U know white men keep a documented record of all these things and it can be accessed with d car's vehicle identification number.
Guess U've heard also of ppl running VIN checks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2017
mavinc4u:

Were the duty paid by you or the importer ?

How do we know that all your cars have full custom duty paid on them if you are not going there for the exercise because custom did not put exemption, they said all should come and check.

Take your car or take your document is still the same thing at least you will not trek to that place and if they claim there is a missing document then the car would be there for them to complete the formalities.
those who have duly paid papers know themselves. Before I buy any car or before I take delivery from the ports, I verify the C number on the SGD documents at their command in lagos. Some months ago, some nairalanders were offering that service here, GAZZUZZ and some other people. That's due diligence. Moreover when buy a toks, the only meaningful document as it is that's handed over to you is custom documents. So y can't u do due diligence on the document before parting with ur money.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by dokyOloye: 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
my brother, I quite understand u. But in management what matters is getting the result and not how u get it. It is the quest to buy very cheap cars that push most importers to fly cars. Also the greed by some importers too. Picture an image where no one wants to buy a car without custom duty becos of past experience or that of a friend.
When U are doing things that affect a large section of d masses,it's not always abt results.
Remember such stuff could lead to ppl losing elections if not that we're in a place where ppl vote based on religious and tribal sentiments.
That's y responsible govts are always concerned if I as little as add 1naira to d price of pure water but I guess Nigeria and Africa in general is yet to have that luck.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
When U are doing things that affect a large section of d masses,it's not always abt results.
Remember such stuff could lead to ppl losing elections if not that we're in a place where ppl vote based on religious and tribal sentiments.
That's y responsible govts are always concerned if I as little as add 1naira to d price of pure water but I guess Nigeria and Africa in general is yet to have that luck.
I tend to disagree a bit. I feel GEJ lost election cos he compromised a lot due to the fact he wanted to be re elected. My principle is do the right thing and in the long run people will thank you for that.

1 Like

Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by dokyOloye: 1:35pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
I tend to disagree a bit. I feel GEJ lost election cos he compromised a lot due to the fact he wanted to be re elected. My principle is do the right thing and in the long run people will thank you for that.
What is right in punishing a car owner for d sins of d importer and custom officials?
U r right on d reasons for GEJ losing elections though I understand wt him,having come from a minority,he wanted to please everybody and increase his support base unlike som1 like Buhari who still has d fanatical support of his northern brothers in spite of d evidence on ground that he isn't capable.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by Adiola(f): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2017
I for see custom officers dying like rats those aba-onitsha expressway bus drivers that are not even ready to stop at army checkpoints Will run them over like lizards .ask policemen on that road how far
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by SalamRushdie: 1:53pm On Mar 13, 2017
nextprince:

Cars may not be stopped on the road to pay Custom Duties, but do Nigerians behave like the Americans? Besides, did I say cars are stopped on the road for the payment of Duties?

My point is, in such advanced countries, people don't evade tax and as such all these approaches to address the situation wouldn't even be necessary.
For instance, the customs has given some period of grace to all defaulters to update their vehicle documents and everyone is making noise, why shouldn't the customs take actions in enforcing it?

Its clear you don't even understand the direction of this poorly thought out policy ..Who are the defaulters in this case? The car owner, the car importer or corrupt customs officials?
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by nextprince: 1:55pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
Yeah.
Clean titled means it has never been in any major accident,maybe minor scratches.
Accidented car has been in a major accident that probably affected d chassis or deployed d airbags though as at d time U are buying d car in Lagos,it might have been reworked and repainted but U know white men keep a documented record of all these things and it can be accessed with d car's vehicle identification number.

Actually, have heard of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) stuff, and have been trying to find out little about it. But is it that the VIN is something you can verify online or by inspection of the car or how exactly is this done? Cos, if it is something the dealers have access to, you know the rest. If an odometer reading can be changed, what else?
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by nextprince: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Its clear you don't even understand the direction of this poorly thought out policy ..Who are the defaulters in this case? The car owner, the car importer or corrupt customs officials?

dokyOloye has done justice to this case.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by geosegun(m): 2:01pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:

@Chukel, You have been one of the few that have been making sense... GEJ compromised his standards hoping to win re-election and then do the rigth things but unfortunately this was one of the reasons he lost. You don't compromise your standard wether the idea is popular or not, in as nuch as you are convinced in your heart that you are doing the right thing and by guiding principles and norms- those that are castigating you will be the ones to praise you when the result start coming-in. Based on the current quagmire we found ourselves in Nigeria, people have to be forced to do the right thing. Those who steal and those who help to keep stolen goods are both guilty. If you do not buy a car without Custome document, those selling it will be discuoraged form such act... hence at a point it will become unpopular and hence not lucrative for the buyers

You sure will make a good leader someday, young man.

1 Like

Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2017
SalamRushdie:

everybody is the defaulter. The agent who failed to pay, the custom officer who connived to release unpaid item and the buyer who paid for an item without custom duty. Due diligence has to be done when buying a car as when buying a parcel of land.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by chukel(m): 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
Yeah.
true, but not all salvage title cars were involved in major accident. Some salvage title have as little as some brushes that happened here in lagos. But the truth is that most of our dealers bring in wreck. When I say wreck, I mean wreck. This is because it's cheap for them and that's what u and I can pay for. For instance a clean title 2003 corolla goes for about $5000. Add shipping fee, clearing fee then profit. How many will want to pay such for a 2003. Almost all cars at lagos dealer stands are salvage title.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by geosegun(m): 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2017
chukel:
everybody is the defaulter. The agent who failed to pay, the custom officer who connived to release unpaid item and the buyer who paid for an item without custom duty. Due diligence has to be done when buying a car as when buying a parcel of land.

Another knockout- You surely blessed - everyone is affected either directly or indirectly- however we must do the right thing no mattér whose ox is gored. If one want to be a star then He/She needs to give a star effort.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by miky2002(m): 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2017
jcmaiah:
I will forever miss Jonathan. I have never seen a man that brought failure to a generation in two separate decades

Meaning?
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by CellTabRepairs: 3:27pm On Mar 13, 2017
Nobody can play god in Nigeria and survive it...it just may take some time
But many don't know because they get their recompense when no one mayl notice.

Meanwhile for someone out there;
Are you looking for a job? Between 18-50 yrs?Are U a graduate or secondary school leaver?Are u retired, sacked or tired of salary work? You want a biz with high returns, skill as capital, lowest startup costs? ■Make average N5k-10k - Up to 30k or more daily■Meet high net worth individuals[opportunities]
■Grow in IT knowledge■Be highly sought after [Money looking for u].■Employ others!

Just Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!

Don't SPEND 1 yr waiting for a job!
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by kYjelly2: 3:47pm On Mar 13, 2017
nextprince:

Now, tell me how this story explains driving without documents.
Is it the modalities adopted in such verifications that pass for "driving without relevant papers"?

I repeat, tell me how this story equates to "owning a car without relevant documents".

Meanwhile, it is not about making noise of who has not left his enclave cos most of you that make such noise have actually not left your locality or at most Lagos state.
Pls upload the non sensitive pages of ur passport, (the visa) mr traveller and lets count the countries you have visited or stfu.

Lol, okay, let's calm down sha! Do you drink Orijin

Bros, those documents should be all encompassing in a sense.

For a car to be registered, it must have had a clean title with all relevant fees and taxes paid. That's what I mean.

You and I both know that we often fix problems haphazardly in Nigeria, take for example simple census. Every administration always comes with new modes of census, national ids, national this and that, yet we can't still account for just how many Nigerians actually exist.

Let customs sanitize their agency and let there be synergy between them and car reg agency (frsc) as well.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by kYjelly2: 3:56pm On Mar 13, 2017
As someone asked, why is it just cars that these guys are focusing on

Isnt import duty by definition, duty on imported products

Do you mean to tell me that Nigeria now produces iPhones, androids, fans, air conditioners, computers, laptops, printers, battery banks, batteries, inverters, light bulbs, blenders, irons, washing machines, hair dryers....

So why not stop and ask random people for their import duties per each imported item they have on them

"hey, oga stop der, dis ur lu button, shebe dem dey make am for naija ni? wey ur import duty? "

This is all so senseless to me.

Show me a society where the average consumer has to worry about import duty.

Nigeria is just a weird place man.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by Nwachukwu1986(m): 4:09pm On Mar 13, 2017
dokyOloye:
U simply do not understand.
D victim of this directive are INNOCENT CAR OWNERs who did nothing wrong other than buying a car from a car stand.
Meanwhile,who collected bribes and let d cars into d country?D same customs in connivance wt car dealers.
The senate isn't saying they don't know there are cars wtout correct duties inside d country,just that d ppl that will suffer aren't those that committed d crime.

okay now i understand , to me now i think the best people to go after now are the car deslers shop to make sure all their cars are custom cleared. but secondly i think you ought to first comfirm the authenticity of the custom clearanmce befor paying or buying a car
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by jpphilips(m): 4:15pm On Mar 13, 2017
The custom boss thought that duty is the responsibility of the car owner?? who thinks like that??
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by igwegeorgiano(m): 4:18pm On Mar 13, 2017
this idiot seems to be enjoying d backings of the chief herdman of daura nd that is why he can blatantly refused the N/assembly's summon
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by iboboyswag(m): 4:26pm On Mar 13, 2017
My people.....

Latest Update

The exercise has begun in earnest.

All vehicles without custom duty are to take advantage of this grace period.

60% rebate will still apply.

Documents required are all vehicle particulars.

We are still assisting with validating customs duty documents and can also now commence assisting with processing of valid customs duty for any defaulting vehicle.

I can still be contacted on 07035916733.

Best Regards.

Please exercise due diligence.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by alaskido(m): 4:35pm On Mar 13, 2017
My brothers and sisters, I do not understand this retired military colonel wey Buhari appoint as Customs boss o. Even his people are not happy with him because he is not from their rank and file. He never grew up in customs and does not know their tradition. He is using military tactics to govern customs.

How can I now pay additional duty for a car imported in 2010 by an agent and bought by Mr X. After 3 years of usage Mr X sells to me as Nigerian use. How do I now pay for a duty that I did not bargain for. This man must be thinking from his ANUS.

Customs laws says anything import more than 7 years cannot be queried by customs PCA (Post Clearance Audit). Maybe the Ali Hammed does not even know that because he did not grow up in customs and his boys have refused to tell him that.
Re: Hameed Ali Defies Senate's Directives, Sets To Start Vehicles Verification Today by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
Something dey make this man morale high.
Just Negodu
Let me know if Dino Melaye and his crew only know hw to Rant angry

It's not about something giving him moral it's about being a police man, He was appointed CG boss and not a career custom office..

Nothing the senate can do about this when the President order is final in this case..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rabiu Yusuf Is Dead / Four Oyo Amotekun Operatives In intensive Care After Clash With Hoodlums / Video Of Vice President Osinbajo And Governor Ortom At Air Force Base Makurdi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.