Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation (22454 Views)

Photos Of Hameed Ali Answering Questions In The Senate Today / Senator Yayi Tells Hameed Ali: "Go Back And Wear Uniform" / Senators Hold Close Door Meeting With Customs Boss Hameed Ali. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by OlaMiki: 1:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
rubbish talk !!!! a Political appointment (Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs Service) is different from a professional appointment. Get Sense pls , Stop ranting !!!!
thinkdip:
This man is too proud and irritating! Buhari government just showed us that subsequently we can actually demean the National Assembly. We've lost our democracy my people.
The poster above me forgot something important.
Then tell the IGP to stop wearing uniform.
Tell the COAS to stop wearing his uniform for Jean and shirt.
Tell the Air force chief to trow away his uniform
Tell the Navy chief to start wearing agbada.
He must have forgoten their job description.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
ademoladeji:
The man should be JAILED

LOL on what ground? hahaha
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by onyxo76(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2017
HungerBAD:
The Senate sef.

It is within your powers to invite him to the Senate floor to answer to your questions,but I am a bit confused with you guys trying to force him to put on a Custom Khaki.

Is that even legal?Where are the Law Scholars here?to the writer below me,how is he proud?

This means the Minister of Health,When called has to appear in the White Doctors Scrub,and,or the Agricultural Minister when called,has to appear in his farm work clothes.

The Senate should be serious for once,so that we can take them serious too.
I think you got all mixed up, the man is a member of a paramilitary unit, hence the order to appear in uniform.The uniform is a symbol of those in such unit that is why they get really pissed when they see bloody civilians like us doning clothes that look camouflage,
surely you can't expect a minister of health to appear in ward coat and likewise the minister of agriculture in farm clothes.but then this ali man really strong headed sha
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by thinkdip(m): 1:21pm On Mar 15, 2017
OlaMiki:
rubbish talk !!!! a Political appointment (Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs Service) is different from a professional appointment. Get Sense pls , Stop ranting !!!!
What sort of senseless talk is this, what is the meaning of political appointment in custom and where does that relate in wearing the regalia. Chai, you lack knowledge, don't you know Buhari appointing Ali was even wrong in the first place and its just because of all this nonsense happening. Its just like appointing someone from outside to head the Army and then you are saying he must not wear the uniform. Even appointing him from outside is wrong, then not wearing the symbol is also wrong!
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by onyxo76(m): 1:31pm On Mar 15, 2017
If the reason given for not honouring the invitation is that he is bereaved then why are we just knowing that now?
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by harmony940(m): 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
It's very wrong for the Nigerian Senate to have approved the appointment of Hammed as the Control General Nigerian Custom. Nigeria custom has its own scheme of service,with rank and files and senior officers,who can rise to become to Control general if merited as at when due,its just like saying that the president can send a retired civil defence officer to head the Nigeria Police force,to be very factual,the custom officers both rank and file and senior officers will not be happy and will not want to work for this man. That being said,why didn't the Nigerian senate ask Hammed to wear the custom uniform when he is being screened,why is he being ask to do that now,as he stepped on toes.
Things should be done properly the president can not say that there are not honest men who can handle the affairs of the Nigerian Customs,to me there are men and women in the Nigerian Custom that can do better than this Hammed.....It's only when we get it right in this country that things will work better.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
thinkdip:

Then why should it be by appointment? is their no capable hands again? abeg hide your face in shame. You boss a militia and you refused to show the rank you were appointed for, is he an ambassador or is he an adviser? he is the CG my friend, its a post with a rank.

Shut up and stop ranting about what you don't know, The only person that have the right to appoint him is the President and has done what the constitution ask him to do by appointing him.. I have ask you to show me where in the constitution that mandate him to wear uniform even in the Custom act..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ademasta(m): 1:36pm On Mar 15, 2017
emmy5050:
WEARING OF CUSTOMS UNIFORM BY COMPTROLLER GENERAL: THE LEGAL PERSPECTIVE BY EZEKIEL VEM OFOU, ESQ.

On Tuesday, the 14th of March 2017 being my birthday, the social media was awash with reports that Col Hameed Ibrahim Ali Rtd wrote a letter to the Senate President intimating the distinguished senators that he will not be able to honour the senate’s invitation to appear before it on Wednesday the 15th of March 2017. The letter was reportedly signed by an Assistant Comptroller General; an act, the senators considered to have undermined their resolution. The senate had earlier directed the Comptroller General to ensure that he appears before it on Wednesday with ‘proper custom uniform’. The uniform directive became necessary in view of the fact that since his appointment as Comptroller General of Customs, Col Hameed Ali (Rtd), has never worn the custom uniform. In his second letter to the senate personally signed by him on Tuesday 14th March 2017, Col Hameed Ali advised the senate to avail itself of the legal basis of its decision to compel him to wear uniform. He further hinted the senate that he is seeking legal advice on the uniform issue so as to enable him and the senate to operate within the legal proper framework. This write up is to x-ray the legal position as to whether it is compulsory for a comptroller General of Custom to wear custom uniform.
The Customs & Excise Management Act (CEMA) Cap 45, Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 vests Legal Authority in the Nigeria Customs Service to act on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria in all Customs matters. CEMA is the guiding law in relation to customs matters. Sadly, the Act seems to be silent as to whether it is compulsory for the Comptroller General of Custom to wear uniform. It is this perceived silence and lack of clear statutory provision that has necessitated the current brouhaha and muzzle flexing between the senate and the Comptroller General of Customs. It is to be noted that a subsidiary regulation to the Act- i.e. The CUSTOMS AND EXCISE PREVENTIVE SERVICE REGULATIONS makes reference to uniform. Regulation 31 of the subsidiary legislation provides that Clothing and equipment shall be of such pattern and worn in such manner as the Board shall determine.

The said regulation is undoubtedly making reference to uniform to be worn by officers of the Nigeria Customs. The primary legislation defined Officer as any person employed in the Nigerian Customs Service, or for the time being performing duties in relation to customs or excise.

Unarguably, the Comptroller General of Customs is an officer and Regulation 31 of the subsidiary legislation says "clothing shall be of such pattern and worn by officers as the board shall determine". The Board being referred to in the Act is the Nigeria Customs Service Board being chaired by the Honorable Minister of finance. Interestingly, the Comptroller General of Customs is the Deputy Chairman of the board. Both of them are to preside over the board that determines clothing {uniform}.

It is yet to be established whether the Board in its discretion has excused the Comptroller General from wearing uniform in view of the fact that he is a retired soldier. Until this is proven, the Comptroller General being an officer is bound to wear the custom uniform. I hold the view that drafters of CEMA never envisaged that the Comptroller General of Customs will ever be appointed outside of the service.
In 2015, when President Buhari appointed Col Hameed Ibrahim Ali to head the Nigeria Customs Service, most Nigerians were dazed as they wonder why no professional was handpicked from within the system. Many say it is an appointment in error primarily because Customs administration the world over is more of a professional than a political set up. They argue that any greenhorn has much learning to do and would really drag the sector behind during the period of study. It is the second time a total stranger to the service will be so appointed to head the Nigerian Customs. The first was Brigadier General Ango who was appointed as Comptroller General of Customs while he was still serving in the Army. The Service was said to have been at its lowest ebb under this ‘stranger’. Today, the Nigerian Customs is about repeating history as another total ‘stranger’ currently steers the helm of affairs of the Nig customs generating unnecessary controversy as expected from a greenhorn. Nigerians would have been spared this trouble if President Buhari had appointed a Comptroller General within the service.
Upon assumption of office as Comptroller General of Customs, Col Hameed Ibrahim Ali Rtd emphasized that he will ensure the strict application of Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) CAP-C45 Laws of Federation of Nigeria (LFN) as amended 2004, Customs codes, Extant Laws and Federal government’s circulars in all customs operations, through training and re-training of officers and men on how to apply them in their day to day operations. This is the time for him to work the talk. I urge him to abide by these extant laws and commence wearing of uniform. When you are in Rome, you must behave as a Roman. It is an error for him to argue that he was not appointed to wear uniform. He has repeatedly argued that the National Assembly should be concerned about his performance and not lack of uniform. He must however know that professionals are mindful of the processes that produce the products.

Uniform creates a professional business image, improve security, foster team spirit amongst the rank and file of the Nigerian Customs. The uniform helps to instill a sense of pride and responsibility. If he considers himself above the uniform, he may as well tow the path of honour and resign from the position. If you don't want a tail of a monkey to touch you then don't attend the monkey dance. Finally, I urge the National Assembly to amend the Customs and Excise Mgt Act and expressly provide for wearing of Uniform by CG whether appointed from within or imported from Association of Retired Old Soldiers. I REST MY CASE.
Good
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by thinkdip(m): 1:38pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Shut up and stop ranting about what you don't know, The only person that have the right to appoint him is the President and has done what the constitution ask him to do by appointing him.. I have ask you to show me where in the constitution that mandate him to wear uniform even in the Custom act..
I can't teach you enough.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by jieta: 1:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

LOL did they deal with Diezani for falling to honor senate invitation twice?
one of the many reason PDP was voted out i think.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:42pm On Mar 15, 2017
paragon40:
hence everybody should start wearing agbada in custom...

Custom officer are career officers why Hamid Ali is just appoint to head the Custom, He can be replace anytime by the President..

A CGC of Custom by career have is different of appointed CGC..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by OBAGADAFFI: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
Reptyle:

Not true sir. The current US Secretary of Defense is James Mattis, a retired US Marine general.

He retired from the Marine Corp in 2013 and isn't required to wear a uniform.

Secretary of Defence in US, is like a Minister of Defence in Nigeria.

Also note the US Marine is under the DoD.

In Ali's case he directly head the Customs(Paramilitary) under the Ministry of Finance.

And he is required to wear the necessary uniform.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
Kaymaxine:

Bro,first of all,u nid to work on your diction.its terrible.
Secondly,were u dier wen he told buhari dt he wunt be wearing uniform and buhari agreed
If u dnt av any sensible contribution,go and play candycrush.
This nairaland sef...needs serious purging. angry

Sorry am not here for job interview..

Well i wasn't there when Buhari appoint him and you were not either, But i believe before he can stand on his ground saying he cannot wear uniform then he has the backing of the President, He has been the CG Custom since 2015, Are the Senate just seeing that now when it's about affecting them?
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2017
thinkdip:

I can't teach you enough.

I can teach you if you want to know, The Sanate has no right whatsoever over him, He is only answerable to the president and if the President give him go ahead on anything What can the senate do?

Senate has suspend the BAN on importation of cars through land border since January and what happen? The BAN is still in enforce..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by OBAGADAFFI: 2:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

I can teach you if you want to know, The Sanate has no right whatsoever over him, He is only answerable to the president and if the President give him go ahead on anything What can the senate do?

Senate has suspend the BAN on importation of cars through land border since January and what happen? The BAN is still in enforce..

But the Senate confirmed him.

Why didn't PMB ignore the Senate and confirm MAGU as EFCC Chairman grin
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:04pm On Mar 15, 2017
jieta:
one of the many reason PDP was voted out i think.

Not at all, That's nit part of the reason and nobody talk about that.. PDP was voted out based on corruption and insecurity.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

But the Senate confirmed him.

Why didn't PMB ignore the Senate and confirm MAGU as EFCC Chairman grin

LOL that's why i said i can teach you, The CGC did not appear before Senate, His appointment was automatic by the President..

The case of Magu is different and need Senate confirmation. for for Custom CG does not need senate approval..

Next only say what you know..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by jieta: 2:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Not at all, That's nit part of the reason and nobody talk about that.. PDP was voted out based on corruption and insecurity.
so what is happening now. have APC successful eradicate corruption? NO. as security improve? you should be the judge. let's try to be patriotic is our country we don't have another one.

we are talking about senator of the federal republic of Nigeria, the law maker c'mon oga.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by Austinmiles: 2:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
Kaymaxine:

Bros,u nid brain surgery.
Am sure u were a regular jamb customer(dts if uv written one b4)
Anybody heading a paramilitary body must abide with dier laws wc includes wearing of uniform
Have u seen d FRSC Marshal in mufti on official days bfor?
Even the peace corp boss wears uniform.
Red cross boss sef wears d uniform.
If he doesnt want uniform,den d senate too shld bar the custom from using guns...shikena!!!

U just got SERVED!!!
cool
You also need a brain transplant,
Quote any section that makes it mandatory for Comptroller General of Customs to wear uniform.

Let's not use law of common sense to judge things that needs legal backings...

I wonder why wearing uniforms is a concern to the senate, why is this issue coming now..Col Hammed Ali has being the customs boss for almost 2years why is the issue of uniform coming at this time.

I believe the senate are trying to get back to him as they always did, especially from executive appointees whose policies and activities never favors them.

Same happened to the EFCC boss, the SGF and now Ali. Are they any better than them
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by thinkdip(m): 2:15pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

I'm simply saying you are not teachable. I'll need to do a lot of Job to make you understand. keep standing
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
jieta:
so what is happening now. have APC successful eradicate corruption? NO. as security improve? you should be the judge. let's try to be patriotic is our country we don't have another one.

we are talking about senator of the federal republic of Nigeria, the law maker c'mon oga.

Yes corruption have been eradicated to some level unlike during GEJ when it's competition, So many looted money have been recover and more are still going to be recover..

Forget the useless Senate, The chamber is house of crooks, The Senate President and the Deputy Senate President has case in court for corruption and forgery, The Minority also has case in court and some other senators too so what useless Senate that have no respect for the floor whatsoever..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:18pm On Mar 15, 2017
psucc:
This man is becoming too much, if Senate will be Senate, he will not survive the next 24hrs

They have no power to do anything over him..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by Austinmiles: 2:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
Seenyo:
#ALI MUST GO!...the arrogant sadist must be checked!
I think you're the sadist here.
Please get something doing..stop ranting.
Don't bark at us, no one stole your bones.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
thinkdip:

I'm simply saying you are not teachable. I'll need to do a lot of Job to make you understand. keep standing

Well i understand better than you cos i know more you than you, You are only commenting based on your hatred and yu can continue doing that hahhaa..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by jieta: 2:26pm On Mar 15, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Yes corruption have been eradicated to some level unlike during GEJ when it's competition, So many looted money have been recover and more are still going to be recover..

Forget the useless Senate, The chamber is house of crooks, The Senate President and the Deputy Senate President has case in court for corruption and forgery, The Minority also has case in court and some other senators too so what useless Senate that have no respect for the floor whatsoever..
i just check ur moniker, there is no need arguing with you.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 2:33pm On Mar 15, 2017
jieta:
i just check ur moniker, there is no need arguing with you.

Okay you can get back into your cage..
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by YungG(m): 2:45pm On Mar 15, 2017
'Change begin with me'... Oga Ali pls let practice what .. BUBU govt preaches. honor the invitation with your uniform on top.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by collitexnaira(m): 3:03pm On Mar 15, 2017
Austinmiles:
Migrate to Chad then
My friend re you okay, of all place in the world u chose Chad for me
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by teebell999(m): 3:14pm On Mar 15, 2017
ademoladeji:
The man should be JAILED

For stealing your goat? grin grin grin
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 15, 2017
Deranged bmc spotted!
Your mentally mal-functional fa.ther would 've done the world a lot of good by using contraceptives on your slutty m.other!
Kiss the dust!! B.aaaaaaaaastard!
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by KingOfAmebo(m): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
HungerBAD:
The Senate sef.

It is within your powers to invite him to the Senate floor to answer to your questions,but I am a bit confused with you guys trying to force him to put on a Custom Khaki.

Is that even legal?Where are the Law Scholars here?to the writer below me,how is he proud?

This means the Minister of Health,When called has to appear in the White Doctors Scrub,and,or the Agricultural Minister when called,has to appear in his farm work clothes.

The Senate should be serious for once,so that we can take them serious too.

--Modified--

It is very sad that a lot of people don't know the difference between a Political Appointment and a Professional Appointment. This is a Political Appointment,and he is not obligated in anyway to touch the Uniform.

This is a Political Appointment just the like Ministerial and Ambassadorial Positions. If the Senate had kicked earlier against the Appointment of an outsider,From the initial stage,I would have understood.

That is why I don't get this their new grand standing.

Has HungerBAD ever said anything reasonable before?...true true hunger BAD...person wey hungery dey catch no dey think straight.
Re: Hameed Ali Fails To Honour Senate’s Invitation by hakimi1974(m): 3:37pm On Mar 15, 2017
bunch of crooks, why wont he treat them with scorn and disdain, when dem dey go cap in hand asking for all manner of kickback, kickfront, and dubious waivers. as the old soldier no gree, the senathieves dem come dey vex. very soon, we will see a repeat of the herman hembe et farouk lawan saga on the floor of the senate. tufia for this present legislooters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023: Disquiet In PDP Over Atiku’s Continuous Stay In Dubai / Again, Ahmed Tinubu Stokes Controversy In Abeokuta By Abiodun Awolaja / My Defection Story By APC A Farce —wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.