Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed (22568 Views)

Photos Of Hameed Ali Answering Questions In The Senate Today / Senator Yayi Tells Hameed Ali: "Go Back And Wear Uniform" / Senators Hold Close Door Meeting With Customs Boss Hameed Ali. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by HungerBAD: 6:26am On Mar 16, 2017
The comptroller General of Nigerian Custom Service, Col. Hameed Ali, has today said in his letter to the senate president, Dr. Bukola Saraki, that he regrets his inability to answer the senate’s invitation owing to recent bereavement, but crave to answer them in the near future when his attention is highly needed.

The Senate has ordered him to appear before it at 10 a.m. on Thursday. This order followed Ali’s letter to the President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki and read to the Senators during plenary session on Wednesday.

In the letter, Ali said: “The decision for payment of customs duties by vehicle owners who do not have them as prescribed by law is currently being reviewed.

The goal of the review is to take a broad additional input from stakeholders and public on this aspect. “I will welcome the opportunity to unveil our findings on the way forward to improving our capability to block major drain in the nation’s economy without adding to hardship and within our mandate.” On the order to appear in Customs uniform, Ali advised the Senate to avail itself of the legal basis of its decision.

I am similarly seeking legal advice on this issue so that both the Senate and I will operate within the proper legal framework. “I regret my inability to answer the Senate’s invitation owing to recent bereavement. I will, however, make myself available whenever I’m needed in future”, Ali said.

In a swift reaction, Sen. Kabiru Marafa (APC-Zamfara), said he was not against any move to bring about peace because peace was priceless. “But I am totally against anybody that will attempt in any way to rubbish any institution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. “The letter written for the Comptroller-General was an affront and a slap on this institution; for the C-G to instruct somebody to write a letter to the Senate is not acceptable.

The C-G needs to know that we did not appoint ourselves into these positions. “For a (retired) military officer, a profession that is grounded in discipline to do a thing like this, is unacceptable. “We need to tell the C-G that if he wants respect from us, he must respect this institution. The tension is quite unnecessary and avoidable”, he said.

He called on the C-G to retract the letter immediately or face full sanction in the matter. Sen. George Sekibo (PDP-Rivers), said the issue before the Senate was a constitutional matter. “The National Assembly is the arm of government that makes law and carries out oversight functions based on its standing rules and the Constitution.

We are not joining issues with other arms of government; our own is to give orders. “Instead of coming through oratory, our duty is to direct him to come and if he refuses, we issue a warrant and compel him to come”, he said. Sekibo moved a motion that the Senate applied the provisions of Section 89 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) ordering the C-G to appear before it on Thursday.

Newsmen report that Section 89 of the Constitution says: “for the purpose of any investigation, under Section 88 of this Constitution and subject to the provision thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives…shall have power to procure all evidence written or oral, direct or circumstantial.

The provisions also empowered the legislature to examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence will be material or relevant to the subject matter; and to request such evidence to be given on oath. The legislature is also empowered to issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure to the satisfaction of the House in question.

Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekeremadu, who seconded the motion by Sekibo, said the matter was not about the C-G of Customs “but about our laws and our people. “It is about harassing the ordinary people in the street on matters that do not concern them. If you import rice and I buy, it is not my business if you paid import duty or not on the rice.

So, I think the C-G of Customs has to come and brief us.” Senate President Bukola Saraki said, “The action that we have taken, in my view, would have been easily avoided if these institutions respect the laws and constitution that we all have sworn by. “Nobody is above the law. So, the C-G of Customs must make himself available on Thursday and make his case.

Newsmen recall that the Senate had on Tuesday insisted that Ali must appear before it in the appropriate uniform even as he sought for permission to be absent. There was an earlier mandate on him by the Senate to appear in plenary session in appropriate uniform on Wednesday, March 15, unfailingly, to address the issue of customs import duties on vehicles.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/regret-inability-answer-senates-invitation/

1 Like

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Cutehector(m): 6:31am On Mar 16, 2017
Just look at what our fathers are teaching us. Though they are the ones shouting change..

Why should he disrespect the office of the Senate president?

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by mazimee(m): 6:32am On Mar 16, 2017
Songs of Solomon, this man has no remorse. Most of this administration's appointees are as disrespectful to the law of the land as their principal. Impunity at its peak

49 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Progressive01(m): 6:34am On Mar 16, 2017
I have said it and will continue to say it; until that opaque body open their books to allow for a scrutiny of their budget like they promised over a year ago when they wanted to chop off the head of the executive over some budgetary provisions, they will NEVER have my respect in anything they do.

They have no moral right to demand accountability from anyone as long as their expenditures are shrouded in secrecy.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by kokosin: 6:38am On Mar 16, 2017
u no fit appear for sanate on custom uniform but u fit wear dis one abi?....Nonsense

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by merbenko: 6:38am On Mar 16, 2017
Arrest the guy joh if he refused summon the invitation. Who is he?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Candyrain(m): 6:38am On Mar 16, 2017
They should drag him by his shokoto asap. What an affront angry

2 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by merbenko: 6:40am On Mar 16, 2017
Two wrongs can't make a right. He must appear
Progressive01:
I have said it and will continue to say it; until that opaque body open their books to allow for a scrutiny of their budget like they promised over a year ago when they wanted to chop off the head of the executive over some budgetary provisions, they will NEVER have my respect in anything they do.

They have no moral right to demand accountability from anyone as long as their expenditures are shrouded in secrecy.

7 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by yusufibrahim(m): 6:41am On Mar 16, 2017
I don't know what the CG take himself for in the first place when he knows he can't wear the uniform why did he take the appointment. And on his policies he his not even considering the man on the street all he is interested in is to make more money for the custome.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by sdindan: 6:43am On Mar 16, 2017
Progressive01:

Listen to ursef.

read ur post again and have a sober reflection bro!

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by hardywaltz(m): 6:45am On Mar 16, 2017
Ur eyes go soon clear when the Senate give u zero capital vote for 2017 budget...
Keep forming Don't Jazzy

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by okosodo: 6:45am On Mar 16, 2017
Nigeria is finished
Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Progressive01(m): 6:47am On Mar 16, 2017
sdindan:

Listen to ursef.

read ur post again and have a sober reflection bro!
How about you keep your opinion to yourself? What i say is strictly my business, mind yours.

Thank you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by chiefolododo(m): 6:51am On Mar 16, 2017
I Dont like this Ali of a thing

4 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by gentlepraise(m): 6:54am On Mar 16, 2017
Dis man is a he goat o

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by chinybelle(f): 7:01am On Mar 16, 2017
Is this part 4 undecided
Thought they ordered for his arrest?

Nl 5℅discount on Chinybelle hairs
Holla asap

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by mazimee(m): 7:11am On Mar 16, 2017
Progressive01:

So because man cheated on his wife , the wife and children should go on a fucking spree and shouldn't be called to order? Where do you guys come from

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Progressive01(m): 7:15am On Mar 16, 2017
mazimee:

So because man cheated on his wife , the wife and children should go on a fucking spree and shouldn't be called to order? Where do you guys come from
I don't care. Mind your business Sir.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by mazimee(m): 7:23am On Mar 16, 2017
Progressive01:
I don't care. Mind your business Sir.
This is actually my business angry

20 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Temptee101(m): 7:24am On Mar 16, 2017
What is even happening in this country sef?
Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Young03(m): 7:28am On Mar 16, 2017
Oga kpele
na bad advisers cause am

1 Like

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by adanny01(m): 7:30am On Mar 16, 2017
hardywaltz:
Ur eyes go soon clear when the Senate give u zero capital vote for 2017 budget...
Keep forming Don't Jazzy

That will be disastrous. Holding the Nigerian state to ransom on account of one person as if its his personal property.

1 Like

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Progressive01(m): 7:33am On Mar 16, 2017
mazimee:
This is actually my business angry
And you could sell whatever you are selling without quoting me. I have a right to my opinion and so do you yours. Let's respect each other's space. Thanks.
Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Nukualofa: 7:33am On Mar 16, 2017
Progressive01:

You are saying something different from what the story is all about. Remove the Senate today and you will witness barefaced tyranny from the Executive.

Next time read to understand or

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by Ekpekus(m): 7:35am On Mar 16, 2017
You neffa chin chum ching... nor regret o cos based on logistics, your matter go soon ripe like Magu own. grin

5 Likes

Re: I Regret My Inability To Answer The Senate’s Invitation – Hameed by mazimee(m): 7:48am On Mar 16, 2017
Progressive01:
And you could sell whatever you are selling without quoting me. I have a right to my opinion and so do you yours. Let's respect each other's space. Thanks.

Not when your so called opinion is on a public forum,threatening the sanity that is left in few people that still wants keep it.

28 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adeniyi Adesina Resigns As Oyetola's CPS, Ismail Omipidan Takes Over / FACT CHECK: Was Minimum Wage Stagnant During PDP’s 16 Years As Claimed? / PDP Board Of Trustees Hold Meeting With Jonathan In Otuoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.