Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,551 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? (45511 Views)

What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family? / Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It? / Cheating Husband From Benue State Destroys Family With HIV/AIDS (must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by sekem: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2017
It's more than enough

If only you knew of other ways to earn steady residual income

Unfortunately you sound like someone whose only hope is to depend on his salary

Entrepreneurship is the only way forward

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Tenplet(m): 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2017
Hmmmmmm back in de days wen :my parents raised me..dey dont earn dat money monthly.both nw i spend nt less dan 20k to produce one track of music.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by brojoshua: 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2017
Marriage is not a business you start as poultry business my friend
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by SirAweezy(m): 12:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
adioolayi:

I don't know you... I don't know your worth... But I do know that if you are in Nigeria and you take a good look around you (Market places, offices, schools, church, mosques etc) .... sizeable average income earners that look good are probably earning less than 60K....
#Fact

To be honest with you many of these couple are like leech (Godforgive me) to the ones that are not doing well financially... they come to you with even how to eat dinner. Meanwhile they saw it coming.

It is God that's gives wealth... however one should be to ready have a certain future first as a man.. "financial security". I am not saying you should be very rich before you get married but please know how to plan with a timeline.

Wish I can tell you my story... it's a testimony!!
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Dom2020: 12:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
Guy, u can start a family with less than that and still survive comfortablely, Most people telling u no are still living with their parents. What u need is to plan ur life and try to spend base on ur monthly budget. To be honest with u, ten years ago I started with 30k and my wife was still in school (unical) , today I have a better job and so do my wife, just start with determination u will break through. I wish you the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by influenz: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
DaddyNick:
As a young graduate who got a job with a starting salary of N60,000 monthly and you have a fiancee who is also a graduate and has a job of N40,000 monthly, do you guys think one can start a good home with this a raise a decent comfortable family in Nigeria?

I will answer you by first asking certain questions.

1. Where do you stay?
2. How flexible is your work schedule?

I think it is very possible to get married with that earnings.

As for health, you can enrol for health insurance independently. I did that for my wife. She put to bed recently though CS in Lagos and I did not spend up to 20k generally for the medical bills. And am not a Federal worker

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by COdeGenesis: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
PeakMilkOfTexas:

With the way cost of goods and services have increased, I doubt if that's possible. And another thing, he also has to save for the rainy day! #myopinion
my dear it's very possible, do u know people earn as low as 10k and still have children, send them to school sef. It's possible. It's planning. There are people that have prepared already for this recession 5years ago. 60k is enough to start a family in a normal Nigeria setting jare. It's just to start small nw. You don't need to rent two bedroom flat / build a mansion. If u save 20k outa the salary for one year that should take care of the child feees for sometime
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by lytech1(m): 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2017
FvckShiT:
absolutely fůcking not

I fůcking spend close to that amount (60 grand)every fůcking month---on data and airtime
you can lie!!!
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Jakama90(m): 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2017
Guy you can if you wish.. Is all depends on you and how you want to live your life. 60 + 40k monthly income is a whole lot of money. You and your wife can live comfortable unless you are a reckless spender. Don't go for a 3 bedroom flat, you can start from two room.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Misty0071: 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2017
The problem is lack of information about the government salaries scale of various MDA.

Many people with master degree who are employed earn 68- 70k monthly while their counterparts in States earn far less except in Lagos and Port Harcourt.

However, living on salaries solely is considered a crime for both newly or established couples because it limits one's progress particularly, in an economy like Nigeria where inflation rate is killing.

Additional sources of income is the key to better tomorrow
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by abel4love: 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2017
sure bro. u can start but d issue is, where do u resides n hope u don't av vehicle for now.....just make sure ur house rent is not more dan 90% of ur salary maximum. saying dis from my own experience..... any one can consult me about marital life,no matter ur age.08073681440 or seylan831@gmail.com
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by rusher14: 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2017
ednut1:
Would rather commit suicide angry
This young man should be put on a watch list.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by buffalowings: 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
MrAwePresident:
probably in the North as I heard food and rent is relatively cheaper than the West

I want to debunk this myth that food is cheaper in the north

hell no

maybe it's because of bubu.

I have been in the north for sometime now and the only thing cheap here are tomatoes and onions

na only onions and tomatoes I wan chop?

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by futurewise11(m): 12:35pm On Apr 02, 2017
dingbang:
dats only when you are employed in good companies.. And since its so hard to come by good jobs here.. Its difficult for families to afford hospital bills..

Most times I tell myself I won't even want to marry a Nigerian.. I just picture myself relocating to a more civilised country where the government has regard for her citizens

Insurance is not free anywhere you pay for it.Although you get value for those payment here but its not free or cheap....I presently pay 155 euro(65,000naira) every month on comprehensive insurance. You work or not you must pay it here.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by 2shur: 12:35pm On Apr 02, 2017
Broke yahoo wanane spotted.
Even on planet earth there is no internet dsta unlimited of 40k a month.
Stop telling lies u lying ass freak.
So u spend 60k om data and airtime.
Go suck a dic
FvckShiT:
absolutely fůcking not

I fůcking spend close to that amount (60 grand)every fůcking month---on data and airtime

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by tdayof(m): 12:36pm On Apr 02, 2017
KennyID17:

Nope!! At least, best to my knowledge, I know of none in this kunt-try!

To your knowledge NO. That's a perfect answer as I do have a health insurance in Nigeria.

Most Nigerians are uninformed.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by SoNature(m): 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2017
QueenSuccubus:

So u mean that the Nigerian government dont have this mandatory health insurance program? undecided

Please be informed that Nigeria has organizations called HMO (Health Management Organizations), and National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is one which provides health insurance for all government-run establishment employees (regardless of their positions) under some terms and conditions.

If you wish to make inquiry about a country, Google an official email of the government agency in charge and send them an email to get accurate information.

Keep in mind that Internet access data is so cheap in Nigeria that anyone (even toddlers) gets unto the Internet to say unthinkable/unprintable things about Nigeria.

Finally, I don't work with the government but a concerned citizen who was compelled to set the record straight.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by prettyzee11(f): 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2017
FvckShiT:
absolutely fůcking not

your type make innocent people jump into Lagos lagoon. Ur post make no sense at all.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by pannyman(m): 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2017
Dear OP, 60k in 2017 is not the same as 60k in 2014. A lot has changed in the economy. You will have to ask yourself some crucial questions and answer them.

Will you be bearing the financial burden alone, or will your wife be able to contribute as well? Will you be sending money to relatives? Are you expecting an improvement in your financial situation in the near future? You know yourself better. Think it through and you'll have your answer. Wish you the best.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 02, 2017
DaddyNick:
As a young graduate who got a job with a starting salary of N60,000 monthly and you have a fiancee who is also a graduate and has a job of N40,000 monthly, do you guys think one can start a good home with this a raise a decent comfortable family in Nigeria?

Yes As long as they will have one child
whom they can take care of
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by osic(m): 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2017
influenz:

I will answer you by first asking certain questions.

1. Where do you stay?
2. How flexible is your work schedule?

I think it is very possible to get married with that earnings.

As for health, you can enrol for health insurance independently. I did that for my wife. She put to bed recently though CS in Lagos and I did not spend up to 20k generally for the medical bills. And am not a Federal worker

what is the name of the health insurance you enrolled for??
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by des4ella(m): 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2017
jay7:
I can't just help but laugh after going through the comments here, most of the people commenting here are probably still in school and are still been cater for by there parents so they know little about marriage, what is the minimum wage in Nigeria? "18,000". Let me use teacher's as an example there are some states where they pay teacher's less than 50,000 and they still went ahead to marry and enroll there kids in private school's, to the OP you will not remain on that salary scale for life my advice to you is if the lady is the understanding type please go ahead and marry her.
I earn less than that and am relatively comfortable.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Equado(m): 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2017
FvckShiT:
absolutely fůcking not

please shut your mouth, you reek of childishness

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by ofeco: 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2017
sure you can! some married couple earn less than that amount. your salary's will inch up before children Start's coming. people say they don't want to marry because of money bet me same people spend much more than what married men spend in the family on their girl friends.

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by dadebayo1(m): 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2017
DaddyNick:

You can start a family with the amount you quoted above.. You just have to set priorities right.. I started mine after i got a job with OYSG with a salary less than 40k (level cool now it is just slightly above 40k and i am married with a kid.. So my dear brotherthere is no problem once there is understanding i beg just go ahead and let money not discourage you from starting a good home... All the best

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Icon4s(m): 12:42pm On Apr 02, 2017
DaddyNick:

My brother, there are so many sides to a die.

People are wired in different ways and so marriages and families are structured in different ways.

There are couples with even children that dnt earn up to 50K per month combined but they still manage to meet most of their BASIC daily needs.

Now, family background is also important here bc in Africa we practise an extended family system. Are you a first child and probably have younger ones to see through school? Are ur parents still working or retired/out of work and so would now also depend on that ur 60K salary? Can ur parents afford to pay the rent in which u and them are currently staying?

I guess u have a first degree. Do u plan to further ur education soonest or apply for professional courses that would zap ur money?

I am not even bringing the girls income and her family/extended family needs/demands into this.I am focusing on ur own needs first of which u must solve before carrying ur wife's own and add. Bc even after u marry u immediate family needs would still be there for u to carry. U must take care of ur aged parents and also assist ur younger siblings through school if any. Ur wife have parents which u must also take care of. God help u if she is the first born.

Think this thing through bro.

Pls dnt stumble into marriage else u'll have a bumpy ride.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by nairashopping(m): 12:42pm On Apr 02, 2017
digoster:
Make una wait small make buhari finish dis tenure cool

Best advice. But if u are not living in cities like Lagos, Ibadan, pH, Enugu etc. U can go ahead.

But wait o!

I don't even have a job when I got married.

Follow ur mind jor
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by joinnow: 12:42pm On Apr 02, 2017
Yes and No
And your location determines
Yes if both of you can manage well
No if both of u cannot manage well

Check below suggest .
Pay your self first (saving) 10%
Housing 30%
Transportation 15%
Food/house supplies 15%
Tithe/ debt 10%
Misc 20% recharge card, medical,gift etc

Question to ask your self how much do you spend on transportation, how much is u fiance spending on transportation now?
How much is your accommodation now?

How much do you spend on food.

Check if all fall within you are good to go

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by buffalowings: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2017
Mayflowa:

America never get health insurance finish, you dey talk of naija. Anyway, there is national health insurance scheme (NHIS) but it is approved mostly for federal workers.

I wan laff
funny guy grin

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by Franklerry: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2017
Its ok just just have to spend wisely or you want to wait till you become a billionaire. Remember many husband do earn 30k while their wife trades yet they still come. Time wait for nobody.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by NICENEDU29: 12:44pm On Apr 02, 2017
jay7:
I can't just help but laugh after going through the comments here, most of the people commenting here are probably still in school and are still been cater for by there parents so they know little about marriage, what is the minimum wage in Nigeria? "18,000". Let me use teacher's as an example there are some states where they pay teacher's less than 50,000 and they still went ahead to marry and enroll there kids in private school's, to the OP you will not remain on that salary scale for life my advice to you is if the lady is the understanding type please go ahead and marry her.
Oooh! What an excellent comment. My brother you have said it all. What more can I say? This is the best comment so far on this thread.
Re: Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? by kamalsal: 12:46pm On Apr 02, 2017
Guy it depends on where u are currently, i f u leave in states lik Lagos, Ogun, P/H, & Abuja then u will have issues but besides that i think N100 k is just ok to start a family without kids woo.. and for health policy it depends on where u work all government jobs have health policies and so do big comapnies in the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Under-aged Bride Kills Husband Over Hyperactive Libido In Plateau / Should I End The The Relationship? / AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.