Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos (11032 Views)

162 Troops Desert Nigerian Army Within Last Week / NIGERIAN ARMY EMERGE WITH DESERT WARFARE OPERATIONAL VEHICLES / New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AloyEmeka9: 3:41am On Dec 25, 2009
Yuletide: Exodus as Lagosians move homeward
By Jude Njoku & Bose Adebayo
Thursday, December 24, 2009
WITH just a day to Christmas, unarguably, the most popular and widely celebrated Christian feast, the various bus terminals and markets in the city are now a beehive of activities as those intending to travel besiege the terminals to board vehicles to the hinterlands while those who intend to stay back, engage in last minute shopping to purchase what they need for the yuletide.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/24/vanguard/images/traveleast[1].jpg[/img]
Luxury buses at Alafia, Orile in Lagos

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/24/300.html

Indeed, the great excitement in the air coupled with the spending spree, downplay the crushing economic meltdown in the country.

Vanguard Metro visited some luxury bus terminals and the scene was that of joyous travellers who want to join their kith and kin in the villages to celebrate the Christmas and New Year. Mrs. Lois Idimo who travelled with her children ahead of her husband told Vanguard Metro that they paid N5,050 per seat because they were anxious to be in the village for the Christmas. Mrs. Idimo who hails from Imo State, said that besides the joy of re-uniting with loved ones whom she had not seen for some years now, there are some important family matters to discuss.

A lot of measures were put in place at the major bus terminals to give them a new look befitting the mood of the season. Vanguard Metro observed that parks at Ketu/Ojota, Jibowu/Yaba, Oshodi, Ikotun, Obalende, Mile Two, Masa Masa, Ojodu Berger wore new looks.

Transporters like GUO, C N Okolie, E. Ekezon, ABC, New Tarzan, Young Shall Grow, Ekene Dili Chukwu, Ekwos, God is Good, Sun Quick, Ocheson, Trackers, Imo Transport Company (ITC) and the Anambra Integrated Development Strategies (ANIDS) among others tried to outdo one another by offering improved services to commuters. Unlike what obtained in previous years, transport fares this time around were not uniform.

While Chisco and C N Okolie charged N5,050 per trip to the eastern part of the country on Tuesday, GUO charged its passengers N4,500. The small buses charged higher fares depending on whether the vehicle is air-conditioned or not. A trip to Benin from Mile Two cost N2,550 on Tuesday.

But despite the hike, most Lagosians who were determined to spend the holidays in their home towns, remained unperturbed. The luxury drivers justified the hike. According to them, they always come back to Lagos with their buses empty. “What we are doing is turn back,” one of them who did not disclose his name said.

The fares are expected to rise further today when most Lagosians, particularly civil servants would travel. Most companies have already closed for the year, thus giving their workers the leverage to travel for the festivities. Even the popular Auto Spare Parts Market (ASPMDA) located at the Lagos International Trade complex would be closed to customers from today. The market will only reopen in the first week of January.

Defied Meltdown

While many have defied the spate of economic meltdown, fuel scarcity and bad the Benin -Ore Road to travel to the hinterlands, those who want to spend the Christmas in Lagos besieged the markets to make last minute purchases. A foodstuffs dealer at the Iddo market, Mr. Columbus Akujobi noted that although sales cannot be compared with what obtained in the market by this time last year, business has not been bad at all. Mr. Akujobi who sells grains explained that the price of rice and similar commodities only increased marginally because importers, in anticipation of the season, flooded the market with the commodity.

“Great Nigeria House” located in the heart of the Lagos Central Business District (CBD) was a no-go-area due to the human traffic into the high-rise complex where people sell different grades of shoes. The same scenario applies to the nearby Balogun, Idumota, Mandillas, Oke-Arin, Oluwole and Ereko. A young man who sells men’s wears near Mandillas, told Vanguard Metro that business was dull until the last one week when customers stormed the market to buy clothes for themselves and members of their family.

A trader who gave his name as Tony said he does not intend to travel for the yuletide. “I am a native of Enugu State but I don’t pray to travel on that bad Benin -Ore road for now ’Thank God for cell phones and e-banking which have made it easier for us to contact our relations.

My business suffered a recession in the last two weeks and I ought to have travelled home for relaxation but when I considered the state of the road, I decided to stay back. I am convinced that a lot of people will sleep on the road and celebrate the Christmas along the highway,” he said.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by 0hsisi: 3:48am On Dec 25, 2009
and someone said Igbos were not going home?
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by 0hsisi: 3:49am On Dec 25, 2009
aloy nwanne m kedu kwanu?
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AloyEmeka9: 4:00am On Dec 25, 2009
0hsisi:

aloy nwanne m kedu kwanu?
A dimma.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by saintneo(m): 5:42am On Dec 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

A dimma.
Obere Igbo I maghi ede. - O di mma.

Na so so English you sabi, local language u no sabi. LMAO!
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Fhemmmy: 5:48am On Dec 25, 2009
Wish them all safe trip home.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by mekusxxx: 5:54am On Dec 25, 2009
It should be ''A'dim mma'' (I am ok) or ''O'di mma'' (it is ok)

AloyEmeka is a complete Igbo onukwu grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 25, 2009
Desert ke? when they are still coming back next week.How i wish?.Anyway i wish all of una api xmas!
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by nellaluv(f): 8:22am On Dec 25, 2009
Me too i'm on my way lol, in a private car sha thank God. And to think that its the police that are causing unecessary hold-up, just to collect christmas tips angry <sad.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 25, 2009
This is the time when policemen build houses & buy cars.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by nellaluv(f): 8:42am On Dec 25, 2009
I didn't know police people are this rich, damn. I have this friend whose sister is a police woman, girl got too much money. Imagine she even bought a car for herself, brand new honda babyboy. If u ask her she will say its her brother that sent it.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by SEFAGO(m): 10:58am On Dec 25, 2009
See awon boiz, they would be sorely missed in Yaba market and on the streets of lagos hustling hustling. Anyways safe journey to alaigbo cool
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by ChapelleS: 12:55pm On Dec 25, 2009
Recession or no recession,christmas holiday is a ritual an Igbo man must continue to observe. Its  even safer because of the uncertainty beclouding the political landscape of the nation. We don't know what the military and politricktians have in store for us during this yuletide.

Igbo kwenu!
Igbo kwenu!!
Igbo kwezuo nuuooo!!!

Onye o bula ga noyere umunna ya. O bu ncheta omumu Jesu Christi.  Ihe ziri ezi ka o bu

Olisa bi na-elu noyere anyi nile.Amen.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Demdem(m): 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2009
0hsisi:

Igbo and home, those two are inseperable. they too like home.
Safe trip to them all.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AndreUweh(m): 2:31pm On Dec 25, 2009
0hsisi:

Who said so?.
Meanwhile merry Christmas to Igbo wu Igbo and Igbo associates on nairaland.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by ijeoma2619: 12:46am On Dec 26, 2009
abomination! chei emeka, so this is how bad it is?? no u had to have done that on purpose! mba nu. what is adinma? lol i dont blame you. you better change that name. it doesn't suit u. see ur mouth and adinma. hiss. lol
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by 0hsisi: 1:27am On Dec 26, 2009
Unu hapu emeka
a muru ya n'ugwu awusa
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AndreUweh(m): 2:14am On Dec 26, 2009
0hsisi:

Unu hapu emeka
a muru ya n'ugwu awusa

Biko, gwa Emeka ka odegharia ya (modify it).
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 3:44am On Dec 26, 2009
Wetin na?. I no speak the igbo very well? grin grin grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Alxmyr(m): 4:17am On Dec 26, 2009
As if they will not run back to Lagos grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by mekusxxx: 5:01am On Dec 26, 2009
^^^^^^^

Did anyone tell you they are running from Lagos? Ode buruku wey no know wetin be holiday
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Vallo57(m): 6:05am On Dec 26, 2009
They are partaking in the annual migration(like the Wildebeast of East African plains). The return journey will be in few weeks before the erosion
swallow them up. Ode omo of Abakaliki.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by mekusxxx: 6:09am On Dec 26, 2009
^^^^^
Just like flooding and coastal erosion will soon swallow you. Olori ibu
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Vallo57(m): 6:16am On Dec 26, 2009
Una don comot finish from your God forsaken land. Why? Erosion na terrible thing. Sorry o. Suffer head. Omo masanfani.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by mekusxxx: 6:27am On Dec 26, 2009
^^^^^^
We go lead you for your land. 70% of Lagos is Igbo. Yoruba boys are working as goods lifters for ordinary Igbo traders. You be omo odo for your own land. Jealous goat.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 6:33am On Dec 26, 2009
Soldier go, soldier come. grin grin grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 26, 2009
mekusxxx:

^^^^^^
We go lead you for your land. 70% of Lagos is Igbo. Yoruba boys are working as goods lifters for ordinary Igbo traders. You be omo odo for your own land. Jealous goat.
kai you hit d tail in d head, those yoruba touts are just too irritating, lack to work nd really to extort from hard working igbo people, just too annoying, all they say is "give us our money"in their language, something it buffled me the money they are refering to.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AloyEmeka6: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2009
yorke:

kai you hit d tail in d head, those yoruba touts are just too irritating, lack to work nd really to extort from hard working igbo people, just too annoying, all they  say is "give us our money"in their language, something it buffled me the money they are refering to.

Yes because there are no igbo 'give me your money' fellas. undecided
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Vallo57(m): 5:57pm On Dec 26, 2009
Keep on dreaming(70%) one day u go wake from your" kai kai" induced stupor and realize you are back to square one. Ppl are extorting
money from you and u are powerless to do anything. You people are just powerless, vision less and just plain noise makers. Abeg tell me for
how many years e take una to take over Lagos? 40 yrs? 60 Yrs? carry go. Remmember what happen last time.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by mekusxxx: 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2009
Vallo57:

Keep on dreaming(70%) one day u go wake from your" kai kai" induced stupor and realize you are back to square one. Ppl are extorting
money from you and u are powerless to do anything. You people are just powerless, vision less and just plain noise makers. Abeg tell me for
how many years e take una to take over Lagos? 40 yrs? 60 Yrs? carry go. Remmember what happen last time.

You will look for an Igbo man's house to take until you die. This is 2009 and not 1960. You are stuck with stealing Igbo property. This time the story will be different as the war will be fought and won in Lagos.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Ibime(m): 6:32pm On Dec 26, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

A dimma.

saintneo:

Obere Igbo I maghi ede. - O di mma.

Na so so English you sabi, local language u no sabi. LMAO!

Further evidence that Aloy Emeka is Fumi masquerading as an Igbo man. grin grin grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Vallo57(m): 7:03pm On Dec 26, 2009
You must think War is solution to everything? Let me re iterate. U are vision less, powerless and mere noise maker. Ppl are busy positioning, forming
alliances. U and your ilk are busy making noise on the internet. Nna bros. continue. My "Jamrock" brother have a saying " An army of Lion led by
a Sheep will always be defeated by an army Sheep led by a Lion". Enough said. Peace Bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sharia Gov. Sani Ahmed Yerima Marries 13 Year Old Child / FG Considers Sacking Sanusi ! / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.