Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,129 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab (2889 Views)

Why I Failed To Declare My Wife’s Assets -- Saraki / Underwear Bomber Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab Appeals Life Term Sentence / Osama Bin Laden Is Alive - Abdulmutallab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Enjoyment1(f): 6:46pm On Dec 29, 2009
Bomber Defiant: ‘Though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’
December 29, 2009 14:42 (4 hours ago), 2,575 views
By Simon Ateba

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the 23-year old Nigerian, who attempted to blow up a U.S. airliner with 289 people on board, has reportedly told American investigators that though he failed, other terrorists will succeed next time.

The son of the former Chairman of First Bank of Nigeria is reported to have told the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation that others with similar training he received are ready to launch their own attacks on America, according to the U.S. network, ABC.

“I am one from a production line of terrorists that has been trained in Yemen by al-Qaeda,” he was quoted to have said, according to ABC.

“There are more just like me who will strike soon,” Mutallab said, according to The British tabloid, The Daily Telegraph.

Mutallab had earlier claimed connection with Yemen-based al Qaeda, which had supplied him with new types of explosives to bring the trans-Atlantic flight down, and killed the 289 people on board.

He was arrested by the American authorities after he tried to set off an incendiary device on Northwest Flight 253 from Amsterdam to Detroit as it prepared for landing on Christmas Day.

He was overpowered as he tried to detonate explosives apparently sewn into his underpants. He emerged from the toilet, put a blanket on his lap complaining of an upset stomach, and then tried to operate the bomb. Passengers and crew restrained him as flames leapt from his clothing.

Security agencies fear that dozens of Islamic militants from Britain have travelled to Yemen in recent months to be trained by al Qaeda bomb-makers to launch further attacks against western targets.

Yesterday, a group calling itself al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed responsibility for the attempted suicide bombing on the Northwest Airlines flight 253.

“We will not let Muslim women and children’s blood be spilled without taking revenge,” the group said.

Investigators are worried that AQAP has developed an undetectable bomb involving PETN

The US Embassy in Yemen was attacked by al-Qaeda affiliated terrorists in September 2008, and the USS Cole, a US Navy destroyer, was hit by al-Qaeda in 2000.

The attempted plane bombing on Christmas Day, which was intended to kill all 289 on board, failed only because the bomb’s detonator did not work.

Pete Hoekstra, a member of the US House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, said: “I think it’s very clear it came very, very close. The explosive device went off; it became an incendiary device instead of an explosive device, which is probably what saved that airplane.”

President Barack Obama interrupted his Christmas holiday to order two anti-terrorism reviews as aviation chiefs acted to close loopholes that let Mutallab take explosive materials on to the aircraft flying from Amsterdam.

The foiled attack came four days after a video was posted on extremist websites showing an al-Qaeda militant in Yemen warning: “We are carrying a bomb to hit the enemies of God.”

Michael Rimmer, one of his former high school teachers, called Mutallab “a model student, very keen, very enthusiastic”.

Efemena Mokedi, a former classmate, said: “He was a very nice, friendly person. He was a person who did a lot of good things.”

Meanwhile, contrary to repeated claims by the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr. Harold Demuren, that the explosive devices found with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, did not pass through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos, the would-be terrorist has stated that he, indeed, passed through the Lagos airport, twice, with the deadly devices undetected.

According to a CNN report, Mutallab was said to have told an American investigator that he got the devices in Yemen and brought them to Lagos. He then transported them from Lagos to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Detroit undetected.

Demuren, on Sunday, exonerated Nigeria and blamed the authorities at Schiphol international airport in Amsterdam for security breaches that allowed Mutallab to board a U.S. plane with explosive devices.

“We are the third world and they are the first world, why was the device not detected in Amsterdam? Why was the suspect not caught over there? The suspect went through the same security checks in Amsterdam that he did in Lagos, why didn’t they see it?

“He went through all our security checks here before he was allowed into the plane. Our airports are safe. We carry about 8 million passengers every year and there has never been any cause for alarm. There is no indictment on our system whatsoever,” Demuren told our correspondent on Sunday night.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/29/bomber-defiant-%E2%80%98though-i-failed-others-will-succeed-next-time%E2%80%99
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Enjoyment1(f): 6:47pm On Dec 29, 2009
You can see what a wrong religious believe can cause a person. You need to see Nigerians are being treated at Hearthrow Airport. Water came out of my eyes.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 6:54pm On Dec 29, 2009
Enjoyment1:

You can see what a wrong religious believe can cause a person. You need to see Nigerians are being treated at Hearthrow Airport. Water came out of my eyes.

Will you blame the idiot. He was brain washed by one useless Imam somewhere, who will never volunteer to die, rather, he will cajole these young morons to die for a god that cannot fight for himself. Why fight a holy war, when you are the one being sacrificed. As these white guys, and their new attitude towards Nigerians, will you blame them?.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 6:58pm On Dec 29, 2009
Mutallab’s Bombing Attempt: Flights Delayed For Hours
December 28, 2009 13:51, 2,599 views
By Simon Ateba with agency report

Following a botched attempt by a Nigerian, Mr. Umar Abdulmutallab, to blow up a U.S. airliner on Christmas Day, security has been beefed up at various airports across the world, causing hours of flights delay and affecting millions of passengers.

The 23-year old Nigerian, who is the son of the former Chairman of First Bank of Nigeria, Dr. Mutallab, was arrested by the American authorities after he tried to set off an incendiary device on Northwest Flight 253 from Amsterdam to Detroit as it prepared for landing.

Some of the security measures put in place by airports’ authorities include further limits on carry-on luggage; more searches, including pat-downs; and requiring passengers to stay in their seats for the last hour of their flights.

Security sources believe that Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab, 23, may have developed links with other extremists during the three years he spent studying at University College London.

The Security Service is concerned that the son of a respected Nigerian banker was “off the radar” while living in Britain from 2005 to 2008 on a student visa.

Nigerian arrested in second Detroit flight incident Little more than a year later he went on to attempt a terrorist attack after being trained by al-Qaeda. Officers are trying to track his movements and activities while in the country amid suspicions that he may not have acted alone.

Mutallab was under heavy guard in hospital after his failed attempt to set off a bomb on a passenger jet containing 278 passengers and 11 crew as it came in to land in Detroit, Michigan, on Christmas Day.

They suspect that he had planned to launch the attack from Britain but was stopped after being refused a student visa earlier this year to study at a college that was judged to have been bogus.

Dino Melchior, 50, was stuck in Chicago with his parents and two children after his flight was delayed by two hours due to heightened security in Toronto — and they missed their connecting flight to Hawaii.

“Apparently a new directive came out for people to be physically patted down and they weren’t prepared for it,” Melchior said, as his teenage son waited in line to retrieve their luggage. “I’ve never seen lines like that.”

The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said US-bound, international travelers should expect tougher screening measures, including pat-downs and bag searches.

Melchior described a chaotic scene as security officers without megaphones tried to organize the massive crowd at Toronto’s Pearson airport.

Each carry-on bag was emptied and searched. People were told to lift their shoeless feet for a quick pat after their full bodies were skimmed.

Screeners even lifted his daughter’s long black hair to make sure she was hiding nothing.

Melchior said he was disappointed by the delay, but understood the need for extra security.

“It was a minor inconvenience,” he told AFP. “Would I have liked to be on the plane to Maui? Yes. Mostly, it just could have been better organized.”

The new measures follow the botched Christmas Day attack by terror suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, accused of trying to detonate explosives aboard a Northwest Airlines flight with 290 people on board as it was set to land in Detroit.

Lines to get through security checkpoints at Chicago’s O’Hare airport - one of the busiest in the world - moved smoothly Sunday, with the screening process appearing to be unchanged.

“Everything worked like a charm today,” said Don Kawamoto, a TSA supervisor in Terminal 1.

“Everything was smooth. The passengers were happy. It was good planning by the TSA - we had enough people and it worked.”

Passenger Kamesh Nara, 25, said more work needs to be done to keep air travel safe following the latest attempted attack.

“How did he get it on the plane?” Nara asked. “It’s a failure of government.”

Nara, an engineer living in South Carolina and on his way to India see his family for the first time in two years, said he would not be deterred by the threat of terrorist attacks.

“Even though we’re nervous, we can’t stop. We have no other choice. We have to travel,” he said. “Being from India, we know the problem. We have to fight against terrorism and we need to strengthen our security.” Passenger Amy Timm, 31, also said she refused to let threats of terrorism affect her daily life.

“There’s nothing we can do about it,” she said as she waited to board a KLM flight to Tanzania.

Timm arrived early for the flight, and said she was surprised by how quiet things were at the airport.

“I’m kind of shocked. We were expecting heightened security and stuff,” she said.

In a statement, the TSA said it has a “layered approach” to security that “allows us to surge resources as needed.”

“We have the ability to quickly implement additional screening measures including explosive detection canine teams, law enforcement officers, gate screening, behavior detection and other measures both seen and unseen,” the TSA said.

“Passengers should not expect to see the same thing at every airport.”

Passengers on international flights bound for the United States “can expect to see additional security measures… including pat-downs and bag searches,” and they will also be asked to remain seated “during certain portions of the flight,” the TSA added.

Meanwhile, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), has condemned the botched attempt to blow the U.S. airliner, saying it was done by ‘a misguided Islamic extremist from the northern part of Nigeria.’

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/28/mutallab%E2%80%99s-bombing-attempt-flights-delayed-for-hours
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 7:02pm On Dec 29, 2009
Oboma1:

Mutallab’s Bombing Attempt: Flights Delayed For Hours
December 28, 2009 13:51, 2,599 views
By Simon Ateba with agency report

Passengers on international flights bound for the United States “can expect to see additional security measures… including pat-downs and bag searches,” and they will also be asked to remain seated “during certain portions of the flight,” the TSA added.

Meanwhile, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), has condemned the botched attempt to blow the U.S. airliner, saying it was done by ‘a misguided Islamic extremist from the northern part of Nigeria.’

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/28/mutallab%E2%80%99s-bombing-attempt-flights-delayed-for-hours

That is how life is. You can see one fact here. No matter how these boys fights for resource control, they still have a little conscience inside. That is why they immediately shouted out that, the idiot was from the northern part of Nigeria.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by mamagee3(f): 7:05pm On Dec 29, 2009
I hope the poor guy has learnt his lessons. angry
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by globalaid(m): 7:18pm On Dec 29, 2009
a spoilt brat, if you dont bring your child up properly that is what normally happen, lack of parental care and loneliness also is a contributing factor. i pity the boy, what a wastage.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by 9ja4eva: 7:23pm On Dec 29, 2009
The guy na bastard.

Well i really hope too they don`t strike US pretty soon
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 7:33pm On Dec 29, 2009
Enjoyment1:

Meanwhile, contrary to repeated claims by the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr. Harold Demuren, that the explosive devices found with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, did not pass through the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos, the would-be terrorist has stated that he, indeed, passed through the Lagos airport, twice, with the deadly devices undetected.

According to a CNN report, Mutallab was said to have told an American investigator that he got the devices in Yemen and brought them to Lagos. He then transported them from Lagos to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Detroit undetected.

Demuren, on Sunday, exonerated Nigeria and blamed the authorities at Schiphol international airport in Amsterdam for security breaches that allowed Mutallab to board a U.S. plane with explosive devices.

“We are the third world and they are the first world, why was the device not detected in Amsterdam? Why was the suspect not caught over there? The suspect went through the same security checks in Amsterdam that he did in Lagos, why didn’t they see it?

“He went through all our security checks here before he was allowed into the plane. Our airports are safe. We carry about 8 million passengers every year and there has never been any cause for alarm. There is no indictment on our system whatsoever,” Demuren told our correspondent on Sunday night.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/29/bomber-defiant-%E2%80%98though-i-failed-others-will-succeed-next-time%E2%80%99

That is why I always tell our leaders not to be very fast in apportioning blame. The guys comment rubbished whatever NCAA Boss said. Both Lagos and Schipol, are both at fault. Too many security lapses. Americans have better watch it. Even Uk too is not safe either.

As for the stupid brat, he should be sentenced to death. He is not fit to live.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2009
You need to see how four Nigerian women where stripped naked today at Heathrow Airport, just because of this useless boy.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by asha80(m): 7:38pm On Dec 29, 2009
Oboma1:

You need to see how four Nigerian women where stripped unclothed today at Heathrow Airport, just because of this useless boy.

Guy u dey sure?
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by selingel: 7:38pm On Dec 29, 2009
Oboma1:

You need to see how four Nigerian women where stripped unclothed today at Heathrow Airport, just because of this useless boy.

I thought it was a lie when I heard the news today. I even learnt they are married women, and they were asked to remove all clothings. What a shame!.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by selingel: 7:39pm On Dec 29, 2009
I pray it is not true.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by selingel: 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2009
Oboma1:

[

This the reason why some security measures targeted at Nigerians can be true.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Enjoyment1(f): 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2009
selingel:

This the reason why some security measures targeted at Nigerians can be true.

I just hope this news is not true, that Nigerian ladies were asked to strip at a private search room. I will just wish Yar'adua to die, so that this country can move forward, since he doesn't want to resign and treat himself better.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 29, 2009
Bomber Defiant: ‘Though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’

he must not have realised he's only a guinea pig
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by kvolander: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2009
Water don pass garri o.The end of the world is for sure very near.[/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Enjoyment1(f): 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2009
tpia.:

he must not have realised he's only a guinea pig

I wonder the kind of heart that these idiots do carry in them. You are under enemy's custody, and yet, you are not showing remorse. I wonder why Saddam Hussein was sober when he was caught, then.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 9:55pm On Dec 29, 2009
kvolander:

Water don pass garri o.The end of the world is for sure very near.[/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]

I tire oh!. How can a young fine boy like that be brain washed!. Osama and his cohorts, should have carried these bombs first, and let these boys see how they died, before brainwashing these boys, and sometimes women. Let them die first grin grin grin, and these boys will emulate them, rather than being cowards, and sending morons to do the jobs for them. Abeg, anybody with any idea how much this Nigerian slowpoke was paid? Abi, was he to die for free? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by kvolander: 10:14pm On Dec 29, 2009
Oboma1:

I tire oh!. How can a young fine boy like that be brain washed!. Osama and his cohorts, should have carried these bombs first, and let these boys see how they died, before brainwashing these boys, and sometimes women. Let them die first grin grin grin, and these boys will emulate them, rather than being cowards, and sending morons to do the jobs for them. Abeg, anybody with any idea how much this Nigerian slowpoke was paid? Abi, was he to die for free? shocked shocked shocked

@Oboma1

He was meant to get the reward of meeting the 72 virgins on the other side of this world but unfortunately he will be getting maybe 72 strokes of whatever punishment awaits him.

I can't just stop laughing on some1's post about this guy being a fool.With all he had access to, like the best cars, expensive houses, and even all the NICE BABES; HE RATHER PREFERRED VIRTUAL VIRGINS. Stupid/Mumu/Ode, what else can i call this guy?
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by macIB(m): 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2009

This Dr Demuren is a liar and a confirm fool who does not know his job!
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by HIO4: 12:00am On Dec 30, 2009
shocked this is not a joke.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Nobody: 6:42am On Dec 30, 2009
The son of the former Chairman of First Bank of Nigeria is reported to have told the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation that others with similar training he received are ready to launch their own attacks on America, according to the U.S. network, ABC.

“I am one from a production line of terrorists that has been trained in Yemen by al-Qaeda,” he was quoted to have said, according to ABC.

“There are more just like me who will strike soon,” Mutallab said, according to The British tabloid, The Daily Telegraph.

this probably means others are already in selected western countries and will strike as soon as their instructions tell them to do so.

The fact that this one was caught doesnt mean his co terrorists didnt already safely reach their own destinations.

he would have done the same had he not been programmed to detonate a bomb.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 9:25am On Dec 30, 2009
kvolander:

@Oboma1

He was meant to get the reward of meeting the 72 virgins on the other side of this world but unfortunately he will be getting maybe 72 strokes of whatever punishment awaits him.

I can't just stop laughing on some1's post about this guy being a fool.With all he had access to, like the best cars, expensive houses, and even all the NICE BABES; HE RATHER PREFERRED VIRTUAL VIRGINS. silly/Mumu/Ode, what else can i call this guy?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. The guy is a contemporary MUMU. The annoying part of the fact is that, other MUMUs are already jogging at the sideline, waiting to try their luck!.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 9:52am On Dec 30, 2009
Al-Qaeda: Muttalab had much money —US
30 December, 2009 02:13:00 Achilleus-Chud Uchegbu (Abuja Bureau chief)
Font size:
Farouk Abdulmutallab, failed bomber

United States (US) Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, has said that failed bomber, Farouk Abdulmutallab had ‘plenty of financial resources’ as at the time he got a two-year multiple entry visa into the US last year.

Giving details of investigations into Mutallab’s activities, Kelly said the Al-Qaeda disciple applied for a multiple entry visa on June 12, 2008 and had it approved four days later, adding that as at the time, there was nothing about him that could warrant a denial.

He said though Farouk’s father, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab had informed the US Embassy in Abuja about his son’s renegade activities, there was nothing negative about him that could warrant close monitoring.

He however said inter-agency action to track his activities failed because he was not considered a huge risk. Because there were no indications that he was about to carry out a terrorist attack.

"There was no suggestion he was about to carry out a terrorist act," the official said.

Kelly said Mutallab, came to the embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, on November 19.

"He was concerned about his son’s safety and whereabouts and wondered if the U.S. government could help," the official said. "The father said he was in Yemen," this official said. "His son had gone from London to Yemen."

He said this information was based on what the father said, though it was not corroborated.

The next day, November 20, the U.S. embassy in Abuja sent what is called a "Visas Viper cable" to the State Department detailing the father’s concerns, Kelley said.

The information was passed on to the National Counter-Terrorism Center in Washington, which ruled that the information in the cable was "insufficient for this interagency review process to make a determination that this individual’s visa should be revoked."

"The Secretary of State can unilaterally revoke a visa but usually does that for foreign policy and diplomatic, not national security, reasons.

"This has to be done in consultation with other agencies.

"At the time, there was nothing in his application, nor in any data base at the time, that would warrant that he should not receive a visa. He was a student at a reputable school; he had plenty of financial resources. , There was no derogatory information about him last year that would have indicated that he should not get a visa," Kelley said.

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=24809
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 9:54am On Dec 30, 2009
Farouk Abdulmutallab

Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 9:58am On Dec 30, 2009
Otobroto:

United States (US) Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, has said that failed bomber, Farouk Abdulmutallab had ‘plenty of financial resources’ as at the time he got a two-year multiple entry visa into the US last year.

Giving details of investigations into Mutallab’s activities, Kelly said the Al-Qaeda disciple applied for a multiple entry visa on June 12, 2008 and had it approved four days later, adding that as at the time, there was nothing about him that could warrant a denial.

He said though Farouk’s father, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab had informed the US Embassy in Abuja about his son’s renegade activities, there was nothing negative about him that could warrant close monitoring.

He however said inter-agency action to track his activities failed because he was not considered a huge risk. Because there were no indications that he was about to carry out a terrorist attack.

"There was no suggestion he was about to carry out a terrorist act," the official said.

Kelly said Mutallab, came to the embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, on November 19.

"He was concerned about his son’s safety and whereabouts and wondered if the U.S. government could help," the official said. "The father said he was in Yemen," this official said. "His son had gone from London to Yemen."

He said this information was based on what the father said, though it was not corroborated.

The next day, November 20, the U.S. embassy in Abuja sent what is called a "Visas Viper cable" to the State Department detailing the father’s concerns, Kelley said.

The information was passed on to the National Counter-Terrorism Center in Washington, which ruled that the information in the cable was "insufficient for this interagency review process to make a determination that this individual’s visa should be revoked."

"The Secretary of State can unilaterally revoke a visa but usually does that for foreign policy and diplomatic, not national security, reasons.

"This has to be done in consultation with other agencies.

"At the time, there was nothing in his application, nor in any data base at the time, that would warrant that he should not receive a visa. He was a student at a reputable school; he had plenty of financial resources. , There was no derogatory information about him last year that would have indicated that he should not get a visa," Kelley said.

America goofed here. Let them just admit at this point, that it is only GOD that can provide maximum security.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Kx: 10:10am On Dec 30, 2009
[
Otobroto:

Al-Qaeda: Muttalab had much money —US

Mutallabs wife hails from yemen.
so if person dey miss na america govt dem dey tell to find the missing person especially when the
missing guy in question was said to have travelled to ur wife's home country?
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2009
Otobroto:

What baffles me here is that, with all these info, America still relaxed their security networking. So, what happens to all those Hollywood stuffs we used to watch? grin grin grin
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Otobroto(f): 10:29am On Dec 30, 2009
Abdulmutallab: U.S. Lauds Nigeria’s Co-operation

• American Intelligence Officials Flood Abuja

By Paul Arhewe (Lagos) and Chinedu Offor (Washington DC) (With Agency Report)

Washington has expressed satisfaction with Abuja’s support in the investigation of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab who attempted to bomb an American airliner on December 25.
United States officials said both Nigerian diplomats and security agencies have been providing “appreciable co-operation.”
Dozens of American intelligence officials are in Abuja and some Northern states seeking background information on the family of Abdulmuttab, son of former First Bank and United Bank for Africa (UBA) Chairman, Umaru Mutallab.
The father, suspicious of his terrorist activities, had reported him to security agents and the U.S. embassy in Abuja last month.
CIA and the FBI operatives will undertake a security tour of the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos to determine how Abdulmutallab left the country with a bomb sewn inside his underwear.
While the investigation continues, fears that the latest religious violence in Bauchi could spread to neigbouring states has prompted America to order all its citizens to leave Northern Nigeria.
The State Department also asked Americans in other parts of the country to “be vigilant and take additional security precautions” because of a possible break down of law and order.
President Barack Obama directed that additional CIA and FBI officials be drafted to the Nigerian Desk in the State Department to monitor the situation.
“Nigeria is emerging as a potential trouble spot and we are being prudent in keeping a closer watch on developments”, an official told Daily Independent in Washington
The CIA had in its annual report labeled Nigeria as “a potential recruiting ground for terrorist groups” and warned that Al-Qaida seeks to overthrow the Nigerian Government because of the perception that it is not a religious extremist.
CIA officials argued that the high population of jobless youths and growing Koranic schools pose a threat not just to Nigeria but other nations.
“These are where vulnerable youths are indoctrinated and by fundamentalist groups” the said.
Washington is also deploying other assets through its Africa Military Command of (AFRICOM) to monitor developments, the White House is worried by “the seeming power vacuum” caused by the absence of President Umaru Yar’Adua.
The Associated Press (AP) reported on Tuesday that Yemeni Information Minister, Hassan al-Lozy, disclosed that Abdulmutallab lived in Yemen for two different periods of time, from 2004 to 2005, and from August toDecember this year.
Abdulmutallab was in Yemen from early August to early December 2009 after receiving a visa to study Arabic in a school in the capital, San’a.
Al-Lozy said the Yemeni embassy in Washington has been instructed not to issue any more visas to students who want to study in the country without Interior Ministry approval.
It also emerged on Tuesday that over 300 Internet postings purportedly written by Abdulmutallab showed that his terrorist conduct was a build up from loneliness and depression suffered over the past years.
With a user name “Farouk1986”, Abdulmutallab shows that he is a fervently religious and lonely young man who fantasised about becoming a Muslim holy warrior.
The postings reflect on a growing alienation from his family, his shame over sexual urges, and his hopes that a “great jihad” will take place across the world.
While officials haven’t verified that the postings were written by Abdulmutallab, details from the posts match his personal history.
For example, the username also matches the alleged bomber’s middle name and birth year.
Farouk1986 says he is from Nigeria, the suspect’s father says Abdulmutallab broke off ties with the family.
Those posts, beginning in 2005, show a teenager looking for a new life outside his boarding school and wealthy Nigerian family.
Most of all, they paint a portrait of someone who seems lost and needs someone to hear him.
The postings seem hastily written, and are replete with spelling and grammatical errors.
In one, on January 28, 2005, he wrote: “I am in a situation where I do not have a friend, I have no one to speak too, no one to consult, no one to support me and I feel depressed and lonely. I do not know what to do.”
The posts were made to an Islamic bulletin board called Gawaher, which literally translates from Arabic as “gems” or “jewels,” but can also be read as “essence” or “spirit.”

http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=5918
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by selingel: 10:45am On Dec 30, 2009
Otobroto:

The CIA had in its annual report labeled Nigeria as “a potential recruiting ground for terrorist groups” and warned that Al-Qaida seeks to overthrow the Nigerian Government because of the perception that it is not a religious extremist.
CIA officials argued that the high population of jobless youths and growing Koranic schools pose a threat not just to Nigeria but other nations.
“These are where vulnerable youths are indoctrinated and by fundamentalist groups” the said.
Washington is also deploying other assets through its Africa Military Command of (AFRICOM) to monitor developments, the White House is worried by “the seeming power vacuum” caused by the absence of President Umaru Yar’Adua.

Look at the issues raised here:

1. Al-Qaiada sees Nigeria as another veritable ground to employ JOBLESS YOUTHS IN THE NORTH, for terrorist attacks, since the government have failed to give them jobs.

2. The advent of all these useless Quranic schools, and nearly all being manned by morons and illiterates, should be another source of concern to this thing, called Yar'adua's administration. Today, is NASFAT, tommorow, Quareb, next tommorow, Boko Haram, the following, Kala Kato, only GOD knows which is next. They are just bunch of useless terrorist breeding camps. I have never seen a religion so useless, without apology to any!.

3. The last one is what OBJ wanted. Obasanjo had better apologise to Nigerians, for imposing a dieing man on Nigerians as a President. I am not wishing Yar'adua death, but if he will not resign so that he can treat himself better, then GOD should help us out. We are tired of being known as a backward nation. I used to say, Nigeria should remain one, but it is very obvious, these northern states will never repent, then we should part, please.
Re: Bomber Defiant: ‘though I Failed, Others Will Succeed Next Time’- Abdulmutallab by Oboma1(m): 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
selingel:

Look at the issues raised here:

1. Al-Qaiada sees Nigeria as another veritable ground to employ JOBLESS YOUTHS IN THE NORTH, for terrorist attacks, since the government have failed to give them jobs.

2. The advent of all these useless Quranic schools, and nearly all being manned by morons and illiterates, should be another source of concern to this thing, called Yar'adua's administration. Today, is NASFAT, tommorow, Quareb, next tommorow, Boko Haram, the following, Kala Kato, only GOD knows which is next. They are just bunch of useless terrorist breeding camps. I have never seen a religion so useless, without apology to any!.

3. The last one is what OBJ wanted. Obasanjo had better apologise to Nigerians, for imposing a dieing man on Nigerians as a President. I am not wishing Yar'adua death, but if he will not resign so that he can treat himself better, then GOD should help us out. We are tired of being known as a backward nation. I used to say, Nigeria should remain one, but it is very obvious, these northern states will never repent, then we should part, please.

My Guy take it easy, so that you dont have high blood pressure on Naija's matter. The problem is just leadership failure. The other day, a briton was killed in China, you need to see how The British government reacted. What can you say of Nigeria?. The President is still sick at the hospital bed. Naija I hail thee!.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion injures three in Jos, Plateau State / Fashola Urges Review Of Revenue Allocation Formula ! / Breaking: AMIGO SUPERMARKET ABUJA IN Hezbollah Armoury Discovered In Kano!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.