Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? (12890 Views)

What Does It Mean To Fake Accent? - A Different Perspective / Do You Have An Accent? / The Best African Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by lawrence83: 3:33pm On Dec 30, 2009
Megadeals:

How come Okonjo Iweala does't have a fake accent? She's the Managing Director of the World Bank.
Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, all these people doesn't speak with phoney accents.
These ones are ancient of days , . . . . . .they really don't see any ned in doing that.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2009
lawrence83:

These ones are ancient of days , . . . . . .they really don't see any ned in doing that.

There is NO NEED to develop a phoney accent, full stop.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Megadeals: 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2009
lawrence83:

I was responding to a specific post about how people judge you by your accent or how it reflects on how educated you are.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by atilla(m): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2009
This thing is very true, maybe they are trying to sound posh, most do it so u would think they travel a lot - put men on cruise when in reality they have not even travelled to Ghana, others do it cause Maybe just Maybe they will sound better educated, most cause they are watching tooooooooo many naija movies,

in my old office all the babes would be speaking Fonetics up and down the place, my colleauges would be like Atilla are you sure you schooled abroad, talkless of even leaving this country.

nawa for naija women, they are a special specie
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by chocomillo(f): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2009
Megadeals:

I was responding to a specific post about how people judge you by your accent or how it reflects on how educated you are.
Don't know what the hell you're on about.You're only jealous as you have a crap accent embarassed
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 3:46pm On Dec 30, 2009
You should go to Ghana, they actually copy the cockney accent of all things, shocked
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by platinumnk(f): 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
harakiri:

English is a foreign language to Africans.Don't blame them if they try to blend in.You grew in london right?Imagine competing with an ijaw girl when it comes to speaking pidgin english. . .you'd be soooo off key.Same thing with Oyibo man trying to speak Hausa lipsrsealed

D one wey me no understand na when chicks dey replace "YELS" as YES.Na dat one dey in vogue now.

English is the national lauguage!
Whats is the big deal about american/uk accent anyways? undecided
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
A friend of mine went for an interview recently in Lagos - he'd lived and worked in Colorado for 12yrs so of course some of a pronounciations and spellings were a little bit different from the british english we grew up with in Nigeria.

During the interview, someone on the panel kept picking on him for the way he was talking and some spellings on his resume - some words were missing the letter 'u' and the date format was obviously different. Although he got the offer, this friend was frustrated during the interview process. Imagine now having to work with that panel person.  This samething happens globally, not only in Nigeria.

I guess that's why I'm kind of pissed at such people who tend to frustrate those who want to return home. - if you have lived outside of ur native land for several years, somethings are bound to change, regardless of where that is.

I agree some people form but I just had to put it out there that it's not everyone Some d it out of necessity. When I am at work, I talk / write in such a way that my colleagues can understand but when I'm with my own people. leave story.  I dont even speak english in my house anyway - cos that is the only way I can get my child to speak my native language.

peace to all.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by yme1(f): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2009
fake accent ke undecided
everybody does form one way or another tho
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 3:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
platinumnk:

It aint supposed to - we are the ones who made it a big deal.

Posts like this also. I know there is some bad belle behind this thread somewhere somewhere. May be the girl don steal her bobo.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Megadeals: 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2009
chocomillo:

Don't know what the hell you're on about.You're only jealous as you have a crap accent embarassed

I'm not on about anything and I don't care if you speak better english than the queen of England. I just don't believe there's any correlation between your accent and what you are capable of doing, unless if you are totally incomprehensible.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by youngbest(m): 4:05pm On Dec 30, 2009
all girls form accent in lagos
except if dey are selling mayb akara  grin grin
d sad tin is dat its contagious cos hav started doin it toooo,
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by africhika(f): 4:08pm On Dec 30, 2009
 quote by elecktra: « on: Yesterday at 03:58:13 PM » 
this is becoming terrible, anywhere i go now i see typical 9ja girls forming phony accents as if its not enough when they fake it with guys even when talking to fellow girls they still squeeze their noses to talk and it is soooo disgusting i met one of 'em today she is obviously a tile-tile but you go fear phony British accent to think she is not a fluent person 'twas so annoying i felt like slapping fake out of her fake mouth, d'you know someone said something about shepe(local gin) and she was like "huh whats that?"never heard of it in my life for God sakes she is an omo eko gan gan and she has never heard of shepe in her 20-something yrs on earth how fake!!!!!!!!!!!! 

ROFL!!!!!!!

well, i have an american accent from the south (homage to my Georgian upbringing). cool
my bf has a yoruba accent and it's sooooooo romantic.
i wish i had a stronger igbo accent, like my moms. its sounds so elegant.  oh well.m cool
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by wedeoh(m): 4:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
Na! Chai chinekeh 'nairalanders my stomach hot . I won laugh die here but d fact remains that we all have sumtin we fake about its just fortunate or unfortunate this once are faking ascent .
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Moranike: 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2009
All of dem na aje KPAKOOOOOO
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 4:40pm On Dec 30, 2009
africhika:

well, i have an american accent from the south (homage to my Georgian upbringing). cool
my bf has a yoruba accent and it's sooooooo romantic.
i wish i had a stronger igbo accent, like my moms. its sounds so elegant.  oh well.m cool

I bet if you come to Nigeria (with a naija name) some people will say you are faking it or ur not proud of ur native land.

that's life though
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2009
platinumnk:

Lol I know right?

Do you know which accent is hot? The irish accent, gosh I could just melt cheesy
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Princek12(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2009
The prevalence of DSTV is partly responsible for the loci girls who want to speak with an accent, esp American accent.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Princek12(m): 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2009
FLuency in English language should not be confused with speaking with an accent. If you did not speak English during your formative years, it would be very difficult to speak English fluently, even if you are trying to speak with another accent. So what the girls do is to watch Yankee movies and relentlessly practice speaking with, say, an American accent; but if you were not generally speak English fluently, trying to speak with an American accent underneath a village accent is not pleasant to the ear, and it will make you look like a buffoon.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by platinumnk(f): 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2009
kokoye:

I bet if you come to Nigeria (with a naija name) some people will say you are faking it or your not proud of your native land.

that's life though

Not really, if she looks from abroad people will know she is not faking it. personally when I come I adapt to a stronger native accent I try to hide the american accent as best as I can lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 30, 2009
platinumnk:

Not really, if she looks from abroad people will know she is not faking it. personally when I come I adapt to a stronger native accent I try to hide the american accent as best as I can lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Otherwise, armed robbers right? cheesy
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by SOPRANO(m): 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2009
I guess it's a matter of comprehension, It's not peculiar to africans gals only, I've heard asian folks in the States twick theirs as well; but it's sound horrible. Try going into a "7-Eleven store" and listen to the indians speak  shocked , you'll laff ur tail off.
The gals prolly think twicking their accent might make them stand out amongst other chicks or keep the dudes glued. Their profession might be another reason why the fake it, i guess it's whatever floats their boats
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 5:13pm On Dec 30, 2009
platinumnk:

Pls explain the bolded phrase. What does it really take to "look from abroad" ??

The issue is whether you are genuine or not, some people will hate. Especially those who knew you before you left naija, even if you left 20yrs ago.

My beef is with the haters.

And right, it only makes sense to try to adapt wherever you are - the same reason why some poeple try to speak like their hosts.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by africhika(f): 5:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
^but i've lived in US for 22 years.

when i went to 9ja, no one thot i was faking it.
while travelling to the east, our bus was hijacked by armed robbers.
my mom told me and my sis not to utter one word so they won't hear our accents.
it was terrifying-- and exciting i guess. like an action movie grin

quote by kokoye:
What does it really take to "look from abroad" ?? 

yes, pple can "look like their from abroad." @ onitsha marketplace, guys were saying "American princess" to my sis and i. we weren't even talking and i was wearing ankara! i asked my bf (who just moved to US 3 yrs. ago) about this "abroad look" and he said folks from abroad look "fresh" and he said i would't understand.

girls back home wear tooo much make up and tooo much weave in their hair. my sis and i didn't. so we probably stood out.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by africhika(f): 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2009
quote by mikelagos: « #121 on: Today at 10:58:29 AM »

I especially hate those people with strong tribal accents, who've never learned to pronounce simple English words correctly.

undecided "tribal" accent?
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by DoubleN(m): 6:04pm On Dec 30, 2009
The Stuff is so disgusting.Even our young news correspondents(esp female) and all this wannabes that host Red Carpet events are guilty of the same crime.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by kokoye(m): 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2009
africhika:

girls back home wear tooo much make up and tooo much weave in their hair. my sis and i didn't. so we probably stood out.

See, there you go generalising, the fact that you saw a few people with too much weave and make up does not mean most ladies are guilty.

You were obviously with the local crowd.  Go to some nice places in lagos and no one would notice or care that you'd lived in yankee forever.

Have you been to Ikoyi Club in summer??
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by londoner: 6:20pm On Dec 30, 2009
"Adapting to your surroundings" ? You mean when you are are right there in Nigeria, you need an American accent? Then why dont expatriates fake a Nigerian accent? If they did, Nigerians themselves would probably laugh at them.
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by Sprumbaba: 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2009
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by deevuu(m): 6:44pm On Dec 30, 2009
hmnnn, most nija girls form foreign accent, but my own beef is y wld a girl who has just been in UK for 3months start forming, innit!!!, yo stewpid!!, it amazes me, and really i tink girls who have spent mo than 5yrs, can lay claim to a foreign accent,
Re: Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? by platinumnk(f): 6:45pm On Dec 30, 2009
ibkaye:

Otherwise, armed robbers right? cheesy

yes na  angry or the market people will triple their prices lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed  angry
africhika:

^but i've lived in US for 22 years.

when i went to 9ja, no one thot i was faking it.

while travelling to the east, our bus was hijacked by armed robbers.
my mom told me and my sis not to utter one word so they won't hear our accents.
it was terrifying-- and exciting i guess. like an action movie grin

yes, pple can "look like their from abroad." @ onitsha marketplace, guys were saying "American princess" to my sis and i. we weren't even talking and i was wearing ankara! i asked my bf (who just moved to US 3 yrs. ago) about this "abroad look" and he said folks from abroad look "fresh" and he said i would't understand.

Yes,  I was told that we look "fresh" as well.  [s]Maybe because their skin is too much in the sun?[/s]  And why would I go to the lekki clubs? Dont we have that in the States? I come home to be with my lovely people in Imo state cool

armed robbers . . . yuck. .   I would be terrified, thats why my mom said no buses, thank heavens! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obijackson Foundation Rejuvenates Igbo Culture With Face Of Okija / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com / Iwa Akwa Festival:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.