Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Do You Have An Accent? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Have An Accent? (10303 Views)

The Best African Accent? / Why Do Girls Form Fake Accent Anyways? / Accent That Fascinates Or Annoys You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 8:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
The good thing about Nairaland is that it hides the flaws of so many people. People are only judged on how they reason and out it in typing and not how they look and whether or not they have an Accent. I've noticed that so many people that engage in intelligent talks in the politics, culture, celebrity and other sections, they come across as people that are very fluent in real life. That's why you see people drooling over people that they've never heard talk or seen the person's face. Everybody just dey blow grammar but what we don't know is the accent that comes with that grammar.

Now, for the benefit of Nairalanders tell us if you have an Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, American, British etc Accent.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by ATMC(f): 8:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
@op u gat's to start wiv u...wot's urs? Out wiv it cheesy and btw, wat's mine
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2012
I have the regular pan-Nigerian Accent that's spoken by the young elites of Nigeria especially Lagos.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Odunnu: 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
I have so many accents. I am also very bad in pronounciations that atimes I say 'her' like 'hair', bucket like 'bockit', nurse like 'nes', donkey like 'dunkey'. Very annoying igbo, hausa, yoruba, ghana mix-up accent.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by ATMC(f): 9:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
^lol, i'm really giving it a thought seriously to know my accent but its like it's mixed up somewhere but then d strongest of 'em all gotta be igbo...maybe, dunno anyways smiley
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Caseless: 10:04pm On Nov 18, 2012
I have this moderate north-central accent. I know my people have prolem pronouncing any word with 'CH' , 'Z' , 'SH' 'S' and 'R' in it...e.g, T-shirt wil b pronounced as T-chet, ZARIA as JALIA , church as shosh, SHOW as cho' ...no be everybody ooo, but this is associated with my people kind of. I have the normal nigerian accent , so it will be hard for anyone to b able to tell my tribe or state whenever i speak....hmmm...north central thing, i guess.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Caseless: 10:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: I have the regular pan-Nigerian Accent that's spoken by the young elites of Nigeria especially Lagos.
i can feel the igbotic accent thru ur post. Ur igbo accent go thick die.....nnnna meeeehhhhn, u be nwa afo by accent...igwe!

4 Likes

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 10:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
caseless: i can feel the igbotic accent thru ur post. Ur igbo accent go thick die.....nnnna meeeehhhhn, u be nwa afo by accent...igwe!
lol grin grin grin I wish i had an IGBO accent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Goop: 2:23am On Nov 19, 2012
East Texan African-American vernacular accent.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Caseless: 8:40am On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
lol grin grin grin I wish i had an IGBO accent.
hahaha...better develop one.....cos speaking igbo fluently wil be difficult without the default accent....u nor think am...
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by acidtalk: 9:24am On Nov 19, 2012
I have a conc Liberian accent.

For those of you who don't know how liberians talk here is a very typical example. (But please don't laugh at my accent).

Tha Booy call Seu is a ver bi heade booy, christma is Comi an I sure he aint gonna gi us no chicke an no rice wi bottle of coke to celebre.

Meaning - That Boy called Seu is a very big headed boy, christmas is Coming and I am sure he aint gonna give us no chicken and no rice with bottle of coke to celebrate.

They don't pronouce the last letter in any word and also talk with pigin american english.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by 80million1: 9:26am On Nov 19, 2012
... Speechless ...

I have a heavy 'amala' yoruba accent!
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 9:27am On Nov 19, 2012
acidtalk: I have a conc Liberian accent.
Are you Liberian?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Afam4eva(m): 9:28am On Nov 19, 2012
caseless: hahaha...better develop one.....cos speaking igbo fluently wil be difficult without the default accent....u nor think am...
I can fake an IGBO accent so that shouldn't be a problem when speaking.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 19, 2012
My yoruba accent comes first.it's my identity and i'm very proud of it.Any other accent is secondary.Omo yoruba ni mi o swagger !

Proudly yoruba !

2 Likes

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:31am On Nov 19, 2012
I have a southern african accent,and I find west african accent @ tyms really not so on point.

It used to sound funny back in high school but now hai man,I think I prefer drooling over someone's writtin than on their real accent incase I runaway afta hearing them talk.Maybe NL should have audio chat so we hear wen ppl speak lol
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by ow11(m): 9:32am On Nov 19, 2012
I think the title should read. . 'what is your native accent?' as everyone speaks with an accent

3 Likes

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:33am On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you Liberian?
was about to ask the same question
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Iaz93: 9:33am On Nov 19, 2012
caseless: I have this moderate north-central accent. I know my people have prolem pronouncing any word with 'CH' , 'Z' , 'SH' 'S' and 'R' in it...e.g, T-shirt wil b pronounced as T-chet, ZARIA as JALIA , church as shosh, SHOW as cho' ...no be everybody ooo, but this is associated with my people kind of. I have the normal nigerian accent , so it will be hard for anyone to b able to tell my tribe or state whenever i speak....hmmm...north central thing, i guess.
LOL. . .igalaz?

1 Like

Re: Do You Have An Accent? by eikeem(m): 9:33am On Nov 19, 2012
I haf 'assent' ke! I haf 'Yoruba-Yoruba' assent! smiley
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Freddieyankee(m): 9:35am On Nov 19, 2012
Every Nigerian has an accent... We really won't know it until you travel outside Nigeria lol..... It funny when you speaking to someone outside your race with different accent and they looking at you like like you speaking Arab and you the reply u get is " huh can you say that again" lol
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by acidtalk: 9:36am On Nov 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you Liberian?

No I am from Cambodia.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 19, 2012
eikeem: I haf 'assent' ke! I haf 'Yoruba-Yoruba' assent! smiley

dikhead
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by maclatunji: 9:37am On Nov 19, 2012
Yes- I don't know what to call it.
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:38am On Nov 19, 2012
~Bluetooth:

My yoruba accent comes first.it's my identity and i'm very proud of it.Any other accent is secondary.Omo yoruba ni mi o swagger !

Proudly yoruba !
wen u pronouce "th" its like just "t"
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Jibsonified(m): 9:39am On Nov 19, 2012
I can form any accent perfectly well however at default I av d lagos dude accent buh my yoruba accent shows in d pronunciation of 'ch' sound, mhen It's one of ma awkward moment
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 19, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: wen u pronouce "th" its like just "t"

As in '' sixth '' or ' the '' or '' thought '' ? Where exactly ?
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 19, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: wen u pronouce "th" its like just "t"
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:47am On Nov 19, 2012
~Bluetooth:

As in '' sixth '' or ' the '' or '' thought '' ? Where exactly ?
wen u say

"I thought you were not coming"
U guys sound like ur sayin "I tot you were not coming."

Think sounds like tink
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by johndavid1(m): 9:49am On Nov 19, 2012
I no sabi my own accent oooo grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Have An Accent? by Kenistry(m): 9:49am On Nov 19, 2012
Yes i do......Igbo accent, d R & L wahala, esp wen am speakin in pigin english, bt it's minimal dou, .....proudly Anambranian

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Idoma Names And Meaning / 10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures) / Swaziland King Chooses Wife,tests Unclad Girls’ Virginity Openly[Photos,videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.