Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? (7628 Views)

Nigerians Must Live With The Consequences Of "CHANGE" - FFK / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted / Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab: This Is His Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by ayomifull(f): 6:46pm On Dec 30, 2009
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
Every Nigerian will be seen as a terrorist. angry
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 6:59pm On Dec 30, 2009
So many of you are naive in thinking this will only affect Nigerian Muslims. Umar's actions will affect all Nigerians both young and old.
If someone told you there was an Iraqi/or someone from Afghanistan on your plane, would you be asking if he/she is a christian or Muslim. The U.S is a country of stereotypes, those are just facts.

I have had someone tell me that they will rather not be associated with me once the person heard i was Nigerian, all because of the 419 yahoo thingy, so now i have to deal with 419 plus terrorism stereotype. Thank God my mother is Trinidadian and I have a trini Passport. I am a young Nigerian professional in the U.S and I cannot let anything like this affect my career path, but its a daily struggle fighting stereotypes and Umar's actions just made things worse for us.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2009
Abekeade08:

So many of you are naive in thinking this will only affect Nigerian Muslims. Umar's actions will affect all Nigerians both young and old.
If someone told you there was an Iraqi/or someone from Afghanistan on your plane, would you be asking if he/she is a christian or Muslim. The U.S is a country of stereotypes, those are just facts.

I have had someone tell me that they will rather not be associated with me once the person heard i was Nigerian, all because of the 419 yahoo thingy, so now i have to deal with 419 plus terrorism stereotype. Thank God my mother is Trinidadian and I have a trini Passport. I am a young Nigerian professional in the U.S and I cannot let anything like this affect my career path, but its a daily struggle fighting stereotypes and Umar's actions just made things worse for us.

slap yourself 100 times nikku
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 30, 2009
I thank God for my life and for His grace that the fight in Zango in Bauchi state did not get to the area i live. Not long after that, we heard about this spoilt sucidal brat spoiling the image of our already spoilt but managing country Nigeria. Pls which state in Nigeria is the effing sucidal brat from?
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2009
@sjezzy

lol Jealous much? My dear i have a Niaja passport, Trini passport and an American passport. If you were in my shoes which one will you use all the time.  Do you think I want to be embarrassed every time i travel? Puhleeze, save your patriotic righteous bullcrap for someone who cares.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 7:13pm On Dec 30, 2009
@emmboy

He is from Katsina
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by harakiri(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2009
He has made YEMEN visa easier for everybody.Thank you Farouk.We will always remember your legacy.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 7:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
BTW why are people feigning ignorance by shouting Muslim Nigerians wont travel To USA ?

IN THE EYES OF THE WEST , THERE IS ONLY ONE NIGERIA.
I dont think there is any indication about your religion on that green passport.
I was stopped On October 24 In Schonefeld Airport Berlin and the first thing the Officer said was :: NIGERIANA::
before hauling my backside into a secret room for search.

Today people tried checking in online as usual but of course some airlines activated online check in restrictions for the passport called Nigeria.

so please stop this MUSLIM NIGERIA poo.

all of us are deep inside the water now.

This is what we all look like to them

Spot on. Fanned and faved
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
Sorry people.

The image that was dented is now totally crushed.
Thank God for alternative passports.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by rookie(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2009
Got profiled by a blond custom female officer with Russian accent upon my re-entry into the US yesterday. Nothing pretty except her. It was perhaps the lowest I've felt since I pooped on myself in nursery 2.  grin
So much that I even forgot to ask her for her number after I was cleared,   wink - something quite out of character.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 7:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
Abekeade08:

@sjezzy

lol Jealous much? My dear i have a Niaja passport, Trini passport and an American passport. If you were in my shoes which one will you use all the time.  Do you think I want to be embarrassed every time i travel? Puhleeze, save your patriotic righteous bullcrap for someone who cares.

ok and  . . . .
I have a portuguese/spanish last name
english first name
Im a christian
I  was born in the nations capital(DC). American born citizen
why would i ever be jealous?

I would never say such a dumb thing nikku plain and simple

So whats your point, youre not the first half Nigerian or the first person with a non Nigerian passport nigget?
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2009
ok and  . . . .
I have a portuguese/spanish last name
english first name
Im a christian
I  was born in the nations capital(DC). American born citizen
why would i ever be jealous?

I would never say such a dumb thing nikku plaine and simple

So whats your point?

I am not sure what having an english first name has to do with anything, I have one too and your point is?
Its your perogative that you wouldn't say what i said. Thats the problem with some Nigerian's, they are too afraid to say what they really feel for fear of punishment or being bashed. Well I said how i really feel. Deal with it.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 8:05pm On Dec 30, 2009
Abekeade08:

I am not sure what having an english first name has to do with anything, I have one too and your point is?
Its your perogative that you wouldn't say what i said. Thats the problem with some Nigerian's, they are too afraid to say what they really feel for fear of punishment or being bashed. Well I said how i really feel. Deal with it.

My point is  what is your point in stating that you have a trini passport or being half trini. I assume you assumed,that  I was some Nigerian immigrant niggu in Naija or America that only has a nigerian passprt.

as you said "im jealous" because you have a trini passport. which isnt so . . .

go to sleep girl, im going to popeyes
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by bereal2: 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2009
@gidson12
its time this country divide, according to some bunch of americans they said 2015, abeg let it divide b4 then

i agree with you intoto!at least someone here is 'talking sense'
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 8:09pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigeria would not be allowed to participate in visa lottery.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by touchmeder: 8:10pm On Dec 30, 2009
snowdrops:

Nigeria would not be allowed to participate in visa lottery.

Ouch ouch ouch!lol
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Abekeade08(f): 8:21pm On Dec 30, 2009
My point is  what is your point in stating that you have a trini passport or being half trini. I assume you assumed,that  I was some Nigerian immigrant niggu in Naija or America that only has a nigerian passprt.

as you said "im jealous" because you have a trini passport. which isnt so . . .

go to sleep girl, im going to popeyes

You attacked me for stating my opinion. Oh boy I dont know you from anywhere thus I didnt assume anything about you or your current location.

Go enjoy trans fat filled popeyes, your brain is already thick, it will only get thicker, toodoolessmiley
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 8:24pm On Dec 30, 2009
well i personaly do not see any consequences. you are already f.ucked up as a nation to the outside world, so this will just add another feather to your cap. grin
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by FMRPCV: 8:47pm On Dec 30, 2009
As a Peace Corps Volunteer many years ago, I have maintained an interest in Nigeria as well as an affection for its people.    Your concerns and reactions to this sorry near-tragedy are interesting -- and worrisome and re-assuring at the same time.    The young man's life to this point is quite outside the mainstream of experience, both the wealth and the extremism     One of the first ideas that occurred to me is that he "lost himself"-- perhaps found an identity as a Muslim, rather than as an African or Nigerian.     It seems to me that his father might have had the goal of producing a cosmopolitan son, fluent in several languages, able to function anywhere on Planet Earth.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by carlton(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
what kinda thing is this, i have a Canadian visa application pending.hope this wont affect anything
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2009
carlton:

what kinda thing is this, i have a Canadian visa application pending.hope this wont affect anything

I laughed so much when i read your post to the extent that water was pouring out of my eyes. Omo, like it or not it will affect it. But still if you get good history God fit de you side. Best of luck.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Ifez: 9:11pm On Dec 30, 2009
It's not just foreign passport and visa applications that will be affected.

What about students seeking admission in US colleges? Nigerians operating small businesses in the US? Nigerians seeking for jobs in the US?

All these areas will be equally affected.

Even foreigners with significant investment in Nigeria will pull out. Foreign airlines may stop making Naija connection flights. etc, etc.

Unless this whole thing blows over pretty quickly, we're all in for it. Let's hope no stupid thing like this happens ever again.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by mamagee3(f): 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigeria is in trouble. . . shocked shocked
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Latty88(f): 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2009
Honestly dis boy is killin ma dream of goin 2 d US afta ma BSC,couple wit d fact da I bear Islamic name bt am 4rm SW ooh
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2009
i was once told by a god-father, that am doomed for been:

first, black, second, african and worst of all, a nigerian.

my[b] honey-moon[/b] was ruined because i was holding a nigerian passport,

just few days ago, my residence permit was approved in a country in europe( driving force of euro zone economy) that doesnt support dual citizenship and i was disturb. i told my wife that it will be hard for me to dispose my nigerian passport totally, but where others spend 2years and cant succeed to get their residence approved, mine took 6weeks, (as a man think, so is he, the deeds of men live after them.)

but what i can i do?, its my country, they are my people, the only way i can make a difference is to continue my good way of life.

i was once told by a friend(a myopic nigerian) that i could never get a job in a good company in the country(chinese territory) where i was studying for my undergrad because am black, am african, but i went on to inspired my friend (also a nigerian, not my tribe-man) that got an internship with barclays capital where he was paid 3000dolls per month(as an intern), i made it to the assessment level, but the choice was made btw myself and him, and mine came few weeks later.

i have been dealing with the stereotype of 419,but i simply ask the next person who asked me abt it, you wont fall for such primitive schemes if u aint greedy.

an american planned the last terrorist attack on indian soil, and there had been many more from other countries.

sorry, am a nigerian and a proud yoruba nigerian who DOES NOT support 419, corruption, terrorism, nepotism, tribalism, racism and such acts that could bring inconvenience to the next (rational) person.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by bodsibobo(m): 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2009
@bidemi12
I laughed so much when i read your post to the extent that water was pouring out of my eyes. Omo, like it or not it will affect it. But still if you get good history God fit de you side. Best of luck.

LOL!  grin grin grin Na wah being a Naija o! We no even dey sure whether God dey our side again, eh? undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2009
We no even dey sure whether God dey our side again, eh?

Ask your Pastor at a gun pont.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Ifez: 10:43pm On Dec 30, 2009
mama-gee:

Nigeria is in trouble. . . shocked shocked

CNN won't rest until they've gone over our whole backyard with a microscope. See how they were showing Kaduna on air? You will think the whole of Naija is worse than the worst area in Somalia.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by gidson12(m): 10:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
Latty88:

Honestly dis boy is killin ma dream of goin 2 d US afta ma BSC,couple wit d fact da I bear Islamic name bt am 4rm SW ooh
in short u muslims are killing us, u better go to one of these arab countries and meet your brothers there angry
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by TrueSeeker(m): 11:03pm On Dec 30, 2009
Nigeria will get over it. Even if we are not allow to travel to US. We can still go to South Africa or China.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by haywhy(m): 11:59pm On Dec 30, 2009
TrueSeeker:

Nigeria will get over it. Even if we are not allow to travel to US. We can still go to South Africa or China.
Why must we leave Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Petition Against Ighodalo's Qualification Based On Outdated Constitution — Aide / Ekiti Election: Court Begins Hearing In Oni’s Suit Challenging Fayemi’s Eligibil / Combat Ready Soldiers Mass At Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s House On Bourdillon Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.