Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? (7627 Views)

Nigerians Must Live With The Consequences Of "CHANGE" - FFK / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted / Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab: This Is His Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by shilling(f): 2:56am On Jan 02, 2010
Hurts our reputation real bad.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by coolesthun(m): 7:21am On Jan 02, 2010
There is an interesting article on this at "Nigerian Community". The consequences are grave but we can start now to correct them. Read the article here http://www.nigeriancommunity.net/articles/item/94-umar-farouk-abdulmutallab-is-a-traitor-to-nigerian-culture-and-people.html
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by phemmyie: 1:38pm On Jan 02, 2010
i feel the muslim youth will pay more 4 this
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by ChapelleS: 5:53pm On Jan 02, 2010
Every Nigeria is now regarded as a potential terrorist.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by redsun(m): 2:13am On Jan 03, 2010
The question shouldn't be what america will think or do to desperate nigeria but what is actually driving once bubbly and life loving nigerians to  the despicable state insanity of killing in the name of aalah?Chaos strive in the midst of backwardness.Islamic fundamentalism,just like perverted science is a threat to human and the entire universe existence.Rat race.

Whiteman is not our obstacle,rather our problems stems from stack ignorance and self-destruction,if anybody should be eliminated at all,they should be african politicians and the so-called elites,they are the immediate enemies of the common man.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by bombay: 3:48pm On Jan 03, 2010
Every Nigerian with muslim name is in trouble yoruba people wey get muslim name dey yawa u better change your name to frank or uche tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Omolulu(m): 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2010
bombay:

Every Nigerian with muslim name is in trouble yoruba people wey get muslim name dey yawa u better change your name to frank or uche tongue tongue tongue tongue
hahahahaa, no be only uche, na kalu grin
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Kinkinatus(m): 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2010
Nothing is more aggravating, annoying or more embarrassing than working in an open office with white guys and girls who keep talking about this idiot bomber, and casting glances at your Nigerian/West African backside. You keep your head down and try to do your job but you keep hearing words like Nigerians, Muslims, tried to bomb a plane, tried to kill 300 people, he is so young, what was wrong with him, are they always like that?
When you look up, the oyinbos chatting about this idiot bomber look right back at you and you feel angry, embarrassed, uncomfortable. You want to say something, but what is there to say? You just face down and keep working and cuss the Muttallabs of this earth with all the curses. You know in your heart of hearts that this punk has just made that corporate ladder/promotion ladder just a little bit more difficult to climb. And you know why, because they do not trust us black people, but now and more especially, they got more reasons to fence you out a Nigerian young man. Life is happening.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by frebor(m): 8:17am On Jan 04, 2010
Umar flew
frm: Yemen> Dubai> Nig>
Amsterdam> US.
1. Is US tellin us dat d
security
of all these places is so so
poor? cos he should hav
been carrying his bomb along
somehow, Haba!
2. Why didnt Umar
bomb the plane while
preparin d bomb for about
30mns in d toilet? He should
hav if indeed hes a suicide
bomber.
3. We've heard from
passengers on the plane on
CNN, cant
we hear from Umar also? I'm
sure he is no dumb head.
So if we are already denying
n disapprovin him of his
action then u neva can tell.
We'll keep our hands
crossed n wait til d Jan 10
hearin.
This could hav been a US
inner propaganda, they'll
make n break countries in d
name of the UN.
They could capitalize on one
of the countries Umar has
been thru n call us terrorist.
His fathers report to the FBI
could hav been their tip off
for a potential candidate.
Hav we ever had a rethink
that havin destroyed their
WTC, to propel the
deployment of their troops to
the
Arabian Peninsula! n siphonin
their oil. Bombs hav killed
more civilians- children,
women- than soldiers in
there war torn countries.
I really wonder who the
terrorist is!
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by doubella: 10:20am On Jan 04, 2010
May God Almighty help us in this trying times in NAIJa our father land,
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by ayobase(m): 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2010
The consequences?
Streamlined getting of VISA!
Nigeria is now one of the Asian countries!
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Virgo83(m): 3:12pm On Jan 04, 2010
It has no Consequences on us, it just that they wanted to restrict we Nigerians from entering there Country. I could understand this from the first day Obama became the US President: He's hatred for this Country.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Kc0022000(m): 5:40pm On Jan 04, 2010
Nigeria passport holder alongside Yemen and Pakistan will from now on receive special screening at any US port of entry grin we made it wow wow wow
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by sentimentalsoul(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2010
we don see danger o!!!!!!!!!!!!! God save us
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by sushiluv(f): 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2010
BTW why are people feigning ignorance by shouting Muslim Nigerians wont travel To USA ?

IN THE EYES OF THE WEST , THERE IS ONLY ONE NIGERIA.
I dont think there is any indication about your religion on that green passport.
I was stopped On October 24 In Schonefeld Airport Berlin and the first thing the Officer said was :: NIGERIANA::
before hauling my backside into a secret room for search.

Today people tried checking in online as usual but of course some airlines activated online check in restrictions for the passport called Nigeria.

so please stop this MUSLIM NIGERIA poo.

all of us are deep inside the water now.

TO sam milla we all know there's a problem with some1 having a  Nigerian passport dont divert from reality of what just happened and has been happening every1 knows, why does the  guy have to make things worse,they carried the voilence Nigerians are trying to hide outside adding more to the counts of atrocities!!! angry  I belive you'v never stayed in the Northern part of this country to know what's happening when did u hear the other side rioting?have u every heard it?plzzzz
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by Jack2fit(m): 3:23am On Jan 05, 2010
Am sorry 4 dat boy tongue

Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by otukpo(f): 10:11am On Jan 05, 2010
for goodness sake, Why was dt boy born a Nigerian?
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by rachiwise(f): 11:34am On Jan 05, 2010
^^^Maybe he is a bastard.His real father must be Osama.

@kinkinatus

I feel u cos it is happening to nigerians in Germany and US too.I can give you real life accounts at workplaces.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by DRCROSS: 2:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
it will be difficult for a Nigerian to be given a visar to U.K and U.S. A all because of stupid muslem boy
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by grtppl: 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2010
The Tragedy of Umar F. Mutallab

The first involvement of a Nigerian in terrorism has reduced the nation to the status of a child. Immediately the chap was identified as a Nigerian, we were all on our knees begging America, doing our best to convince it that we are not terrorists: "Wallahi, this boy is a black sheep. We are law abiding citizens wherever we go overseas. Yes. At home, we are known for fraud, election rigging, corruption, armed robbery, bank robbery, cultism, human trafficking, religious intolerance, concealment of truth to our citizens, we tell them lies and even engage in forgery at high places. Eh. We have also been pushing cocaine for over two decades now. But Wallahi – America – we are not terrorists. It is not in our character… Do anything with Umar Mutallab. The boy deserves it. We completely dissociate ourselves from him…. Chinekeeeee!!! This boy has shamed us. He wants to put us in trouble."

It is true. We are not lying. We are not terrorists. If we were, we would have blown off our leaders first before any other person and effectively rid the country of corruption. However, courtesy of our inherent African docility, the people whose actions have caused so much misery on our land are walking about Scot-free. They would not do so if we had sufficient thymotic potential to blow their planes or shoot them down at gatherings. They would not have had the temerity to rig our elections or the guts to steal our wealth.

Yet, it appears that America is not convinced by the confession chorus voice of Nigerian officials, non-governmental organizations, religious and secular, at home and overseas. Nigeria produced maitatsine and, recently, boko haram in addition to a whole catalogue of transnational criminal activities. By now, the world has concluded that every Nigerian is either a fanatic or a fraudster, unless he is proved innocent. This is a golden opportunity to impose some severe security measures against these fraudulent people, America insists.

The first step has been announced within a week of the event: body scanners will be installed in all our four international airports such that a record of the anatomy of every Nigerian traveler will be documented. Fingerprints are not sufficient. "Would these scanners show the naked bodies of people?" a foreign journalist asked a Nigerian official, three times. And three times he evaded the question: "It is just in case the passenger is carrying something on his body, the machine will detect it." I laughed. The truth is that the scanners would show your naked natural body, including everything. I had that experience with a similar equipment at Heathrow Airport in December 2004 when I was singled out, for no stated reason, and scanned before I boarded a British Airways flight back to Nigeria. To assuage my feelings, the official showed me the picture and said they were just testing the equipment. Behold, there was Tilde, ad naturalis. I did not protest, lest some cocaine is planted in my luggage. My destination, I reminded myself, was Abuja, not prison in the distant land of homo leucodermaticus. Scanning our bodies may not be the only measure, I suspect. Nigerians must be prepared for more.

But why are we jittery about this singular act, heinous as it is? Are we the first terrorist country in the world? Did we produce Carlos – The Jackal, Al-Nagrahi, IRA, Timothy McVeigh, or the 911 bombers? Are we worse terrorists than Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, or Libya, countries where many terrorists lived and carried out their threats? Are we worse than Saudi Arabia, the country that produced Osama Bin Laden and 18 out of the 19 terrorists that bombed the World Trade Centre on September 11, 2001? Why have we not heard the officials and citizens of these countries pleading against any possible collective victimization by America? Why are scanners not installed at Jeddah and Riyadh International Airports? Instead, we saw Obama paying a visit to King Abdullah and bowing his head to the King in respect, as he bowed before Queen Elizabeth III during the G20 meeting last year. I doubt very much if the Arabs will allow their privacy be so encroached on - down to the anatomical level - on their own land.

I think something is wrong with us and our leadership. Would this be how we will respond when one day we find ourselves in conflict with America? I believe General Victor Malu will not be surprised, having lost his job simply by refusing to "co-operate" with the military experts who America sent during his tenure as Chief of Army Staff. Malu did not know that our Nigerianness exists only at the mercy of the only superpower in the world today. Obasanjo proved him wrong. "Hey boy," Obasanjo told Malu, "When America says 'jump', simply ask: 'how high?" Commot jare. The munci man has since been enjoying his pounded yam in his native Benue. Literally speaking, the Defence Towers in Abuja are not for his kind.

On contemplation, I think the real reason why we elite are afraid of our newly acquired feather is because of the inconvenience that we will suffer from whenever we visit overseas or the opportunities we will miss in our hideout countries where we send our children to study after celebrating the collapse of our public schools at home; where we take our wives for delivery after we have allowed our hospitals to deteriorate; where we hide the billions we steal daily from public coffers; where some of us think is the Promised Land. Think about it: what restrictive measure would the average Nigerian, who will never have the opportunity to board even a domestic flight be afraid of? Will the airport scanners scan him on his farm? Indeed, we are crying for ourselves, for our interests, not for Nigeria.

Here, I have much to doubt about the sincerity of Umar's father, Alhaji Mutallab. I initially thought that he has been very heroic in alerting the Nigerian and American security officials about the indoctrination of his son. He must be one of the most patriotic citizens of the world, I thought. But in fairness to the son, I now think differently. I was only naïve. The father must own up and accept that he exposed the son to the risk of indoctrination. He knows his son better than anyone. He should. At what point did he start to notice the defiance of his son and what did he do about it?

This chap has been complaining of loneliness since when the father isolated him from this country and sent him to a British elite secondary school in Togo. Doesn't his life in that school initiate his anti-white racist doctrines before he even met with terrorist groups later in the United Kingdom? Why did not the father return him to Nigeria and enroll him in one of our best secondary schools or private universities. Why was Umar ignored by his father until he became a prey of the vicious elements that exploited his racist sentiments?

Also, would the poor and lonely Umar have been conscripted into international terrorism if his father were poor? Would he have been to Togo or Britain? International terrorism, as I said in an interview with Radio Deutche Welle, is a product of affluence, not religion. The overwhelming majority of terrorists – from Bin Laden down to their latest flag bearer, Umar Mutallab – are people from affluent backgrounds, homes that have links with the West and have firm roots in its economic order.

Umar's father did not get this calculation wrong. By alerting the police, he has secured his wealth but not his son. He has conveniently surrendered the son, against the biological instinct of protection, to the FBI, in protection of his economic interests, most likely, instead of taking all necessary measures to restrict him to this country, getting the authorities to seize his passport and sponsor a program of his de-indoctrination. After all, the father is well aware of the Hausa adage that says ba gagararre sai bararre – there is no outlaw except the condoned. The father cannot, therefore, claim that he was taken by surprise because he was rich enough, pretty rich, to buy multimillion pound mansion for the family in London where the son lived. He was not living on campus. Someone here – the father – does not do his duty well. He should own up.

The second blame should be dumped at the doorstep of American counter-terrorism officials. Obama has every right to look at them straight in the eye and tell them that they have not done their job well. There was a report indicating that al-Qaida is training a Nigerian for a terror attack on an American Airline. Then there is a Nigerian father who complained of the indoctrination of his son and the son has already been placed on America's Terrorist Watch list. Would it be clear even to the most incompetent agent that Umar was the most likely person? How many Nigerians are there on the list after all?

Umar's ordeal should serve as a wakeup call to all Nigerian parents who send their children overseas for studies. I know it is inevitable in many cases given the failure of our educational system here at home. But each of them can, and should, do something to salvage it, in his own way. I believe Alhaji Mutallab must be regretting this way: "Had I known, I would have built a model secondary school and a even a private university in my hometown Funtua where Umar and other Nigerian children would study without being exposed to indoctrination by people alien to our culture… A good secondary school would not cost half the price of one of my houses in London… Had I known…"

The whole idea of sending children to study abroad must be done only out of necessity, as Dr. Yusuf Qardawi once said. Where necessary, they must not be sent until, among other conditions, they have acquired the cognitive maturity that will protect them from indoctrination.

Please let those of us who have children studying overseas keep an eye over them. Terrorism is not the only thing we need to guard them against. There are just plenty other negative tendencies that they must not be allowed to indulge in. We must ensure we engage them constantly such that we can understand the cognitive developments they are going through. We must not, even for a day, fail to listen to them or attend to their needs especially for company. And we can do this today so easily through modern communications facilities. It is our duty. We must not delegate it to school authorities.

Umar had access to wealth but it did not buy him the protection he needed as a teenager. Poor Umar! Surely, he has been a victim of three people: an incapable father, a vicious group of terrorists, and incompetent and negligent American security agencies. He could have been saved the doom of becoming a criminal of this order. This beautiful looking son of Africa was, therefore, a prey. His story is a tragedy. He set out looking for knowledge but would end up serving a twenty year prison term. I pray that by the time he comes out – for he will still come out pretty young, 43 – he would have contemplated enough to purge himself of the indoctrination he went though. He would then return to African and reside among us quietly, enjoying the docility that is typical of our passive continent, or suffering the consequences of its lack of thymos.

By Dr Aliyu Tilde

Bauchi, Nigeria

1 January 2007
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by coolesthun(m): 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2010
Get up to date on the real story behind his action here:
http://www.nigeriancommunity.net
The latest information I've gotten so far is that this boy was using a British passport and he actually began his journey from Accra to Lagos before flying to US via Amsterdam. My point is that Nigeria should not be held accountable for his actions, and Nigerians don't have to suffer the setbacks caused by the black sheep grin
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by yoruba: 8:08am On Jan 06, 2010
@Topic
The world now knows that Nigerians are terrorists.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by novaman: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2010
there is no cause for alarm, I don't know why we are making mountain out of nothing; we have been on various list for many years and nothing happened; the US is only trying to shift the blame to Nigeria simply becos they know it would affect their image more if they accept the fact that they knew about Farouk even long before the Nigerian authorities.

It is simple if they place us on their list, we can get a piece of paper and place them on the list too; nonsense.

If they plan to screen our people with the new camera, then they should remember that they us four(4) of the same type of cameras; so there is no big deal if they screen our people so long as our authorities should be prepared to give them the same treatment in our airport whenever they arrive.

I imagine a situation when a US top executives in any of the oil companies will be screen the same way Nigerians will be screened.

8 Saudis were part of the people who blew the WTC in 2001, yet Saudi is not on the list of a terror nation - double standard or what are we going to call this nonsense.
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by novaman: 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2010
in fact what are the US going to call those who kill their citizens on a daily basis; they look for a mild name like serial killer; as far as am concern that is the same as terror. more people die in US more than the rest of the world put together, yet they are not call terrorist.

Who created Osama? US

WHO created Farouk? Osama group, so logically we can say the US created Farouk
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by ololo12: 2:10pm On Jan 07, 2010
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/01/07/my-target-was-chris-oyakhilome-%E2%80%94lagos-bomber/.

Behold another Bomb Terror Case, What is this country turning into Can somebody pls tell
Re: What Are The Consequences Of The Umar Farouk's Action On Nigeria? by tobze: 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
Heard on CNN dat anyone from Nigeria, Pakistan, Yemen and 13 oda countries travelling to the states will not be given a flight map and blanket onboard and will not be allowed to get off the plane until one hour after touchdown!

See wahala!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Policemen Involved In Money Scrambling At Tinubu’s Trial To Be Arrested / Nnamdi Kanu's court case adjourned to 1st december / Peter Obi Celebrates His 56th Birthday. His Challenges And Legendary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.