Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120952 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 1:51pm On Jun 28, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 71: Garden Update (Corn first Harvest)

The corns did perfectly well. @seun, I didn't have to use any insecticides or inorganic chemicals at all. The Vegetable oil did wonders. (Pictures included)
Your corn looks amazing.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 12:33pm On Jul 01, 2017
For the first time, am having a good sign of Cabbage germination. Thanks to OP grin

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2017
Ndbc:
For the first time, am having a good sign of Cabbage germination. Thanks to OP grin
i can feel your joy. tend them very well. cabbage plants are very fragile and sensitive at the nursery stage.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by buffalowings: 2:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
seun is viewing the thread

This thing no easy o
Good job op

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:02pm On Jul 01, 2017
irynterri:
thanks, I intend getting my seeds from the local market close to me, I'm not certain the seller understands what is a determinate tomato seed, I would also love if you can share the price of the seeds you got and any idea where I can get it in Abuja?

Sorry for the late response. I'm not too familiar with Abuja agro seeds markets but sure can get anything you want from the comfort of your home. Nairaland is also a good source with credible people you can source/buy from. On the issue of pricing, I already stated in the thread how much everything costs.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
Seun:
Your corn looks amazing.

Thanks boss!!!
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
Ndbc:

You're very much welcomed. They sure are looking great. Keep us updated on it's development and by the way, where you able to get the hybrid specie from the buyer? (Just curious)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:12pm On Jul 01, 2017
Munzy14:

i can feel your joy. tend them very well. cabbage plants are very fragile and sensitive at the nursery stage.
100% correct. I need not say more.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
buffalowings:
seun is viewing the thread

This thing no easy o
Good job op
Thanks Sir. He's been a follower and infact, helped provide solutions in some instances.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 5:30pm On Jul 01, 2017
Munzy14:

You can say that again.. grin

I have already noticed the fragile nature of this little guys, will surely keep a close watch.

Gracias !
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 5:42pm On Jul 01, 2017
jidestroud:

You're very much welcomed. They sure are looking great. Keep us updated on it's development and by the way, where you able to get the hybrid specie from the buyer? (Just curious)

I chatted with the sales rep of the company (Thai Agro Allied) and i was assured that the seed they gave me was hybrid seed, personally i have not seen or tried any other Cabbage seed before. Maybe i will have to try a Technisem Cabbage seed to compare the results.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 9:29pm On Jul 01, 2017
Ndbc:

I chatted with the sales rep of the company (Thai Agro Allied) and i was assured that the seed they gave me was hybrid seed, personally i have not seen or tried any other Cabbage seed before. Maybe i will have to try a Technisem Cabbage seed to compare the results.
wow. yes thai agro have the F1 cabbage. i av few growing currently.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 10:50pm On Jul 01, 2017
Munzy14:

wow. yes thai agro have the F1 cabbage. i av few growing currently.

Please can you attach a pix of the seed (sample) if you still have any
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 7:55am On Jul 02, 2017
Ndbc:

Please can you attach a pix of the seed (sample) if you still have any
ooh i planted all, the ones that germinated, few managed to make it to present stage. The seed are tiny and coloured blue. it's thai product from owerri.
when i pick up again i will snap.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 6:53pm On Jul 02, 2017
Munzy14:

ooh i planted all, the ones that germinated, few managed to make it to present stage. The seed are tiny and coloured blue. it's thai product from owerri.
when i pick up again i will snap.

Look closely at these ones.. (attached pic)

That's the Cabbage seeds i got from Thai Agro.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 7:33pm On Jul 02, 2017
Ndbc:

Look closely at these ones.. (attached pic)

That's the Cabbage seeds i got from Thai Agro.

yes. exactly what i got from them arrnd may ending. go ahead and plant. just get your liquid fertilizer and old chicken dropping ready.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by hadex90(m): 10:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
Kudos Op
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:49am On Jul 03, 2017
hadex90:
Kudos Op
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:41am On Jul 03, 2017
Day 77: (Tomato blossoms into fruits )

Finally goodnews, after the first disaster encountered with the first set of tomato plants due to the excessive downpours which later resulted to a fungi outbreak, I switch over to setting up a few in sacks where I could control the environmental factors giving me setback in achieving success.

Yep, it worked like magic. Tomato fruits have stated emerging from the flower blossoms in numbers. Yes oooo...my Rio Degrande loading.... More updates.

Tips/Control Measures used:
1. Moving the sacks aways in times of heavy rainfall.
2. I did mulch each plants to prevent splashing of water back on the leaves. (incase of not being around when it rains)
3. Spraying weekly with baking soda and vegetable.
4. I did a little of self-pollination with my hands when I experience blossom drop.
5. Immediate pinching off of any leaves looking sickly or looking abnormal.
6. Pinched off all leaves close to soil (even after mulching
each plants.)

Added is the picture of my cucumber as requested (Yet to harvest though).

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by kennykg(m): 11:57am On Jul 03, 2017
Bro have been looking for post on ugwu.none found...
You got any
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by hadex90(m): 2:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
kennykg:
You got any
Please I Need Information On This Too. Starting Ugwu On A Large Scale 1 hectare
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 3:47pm On Jul 03, 2017
jidestroud:

Yes, that was exactly what I did to the tomato (2hrs for the tomato seeds) and soko (lagos spinach was soaked all night). Then I planted in the morning of the next day. For the fluted pumpkin, I sun-dried for 24hrs before planted though.

Please, did you sun dried the tomato seeds and Lagos spinach seeds after you soaked it?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:52pm On Jul 03, 2017
kennykg:
You got any

There are lots of ugu (fluted pumpkin) threads in the agricultural sector. I also strated this thread with ugu (fluted pumpkin), it's doing very well but I suspended it till I do a clean up of the corn, only then will i resume.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by kennykg(m): 3:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
jidestroud:

There are lots of ugu (fluted pumpkin) threads in the agricultural sector. I also strated this thread with ugu (fluted pumpkin), it's doing very well but I suspended it till I do a clean up of the corn, only then will i resume.

Checked and searched but no positive result. Would check again.
Good work
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:57pm On Jul 03, 2017
oyetpel:

Please, did you sun dried the tomato seeds and Lagos spinach seeds after you soaked it?

Nope. I didn't sundry the seeds. I planted directly but I realised both the soaked ones and the ones I planted directly sprouted about the same thing.

My conclusion, just plant directly into the nursery and there's really no need for soaking.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 4:11pm On Jul 03, 2017
jidestroud:

Nope. I didn't sundry the seeds. I planted directly but I realised both the soaked ones and the ones I planted directly sprouted about the same thing.

My conclusion, just plant directly into the nursery and there's really no need for soaking.

OK thanks.

I will open a thread on my garden soon, am doing a lot of work on it and i didn't want to update here again as seun suggested so that it won't clash with yours.

And i need you on my thread when i started posting.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
oyetpel:

OK thanks.

I will open a thread on my garden soon, am doing a lot of work on it and i didn't want to update here again as seun suggested so that it won't clash with yours.

And i need you on my thread when i started posting.

Oh great! I've been waiting to hear from you since. Please biko, I'm already your follower. Let me know when it's done.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2017
I have a small maize plantation at the back of my house and it's 3weeks now after the plantation I notice that the leaf are turning yellow I don't no what is wrong please I need help. See pictures

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2017
kennykg:
You got any

Check out the link below for "Ugu" farming

https://www.nairaland.com/3443247/dry-season-ugu-farming-scope
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 9:03pm On Jul 04, 2017
jidestroud:

Oh great! I've been waiting to hear from you since. Please biko, I'm already your follower. Let me know when it's done.

Hi jidestroud, i have created the thread.

Try and check it out.

www.nairaland.com/3899709/making-small-garden-pics

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 9:04pm On Jul 04, 2017
seun and any other individual can kindly check out the thread for my garden through the link below;

www.nairaland.com/3899709/making-small-garden-pics

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 9:17pm On Jul 04, 2017
damikay87:
I have a small maize plantation at the back of my house and it's 3weeks now after the plantation I notice that the leaf are turning yellow I don't no what is wrong please I need help. See pictures
Looks like a potassium deficiency. It shows up in the oldest leaves which turn yellow and then brown starting from the tips and edges. You can get potassium from the water-soluble fraction of wood ash, relatively large quantities of banana/plantain peels, or a synthetic fertilizer.

I hope you can also create a new thread for your garden!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix