Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120771 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:01pm On Jul 27, 2017
Seun:

Can you post a pic of what the plants look like when they start withering away, or describe them? Do the leaves become bent or wrinkled?

Absolutely correct!!! Everything just bends/rots away, I could simply use my hands swap them of the ground like damp spider web. It first starts up like having withered patches, then it starts expanding with most just bending over.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:04pm On Jul 27, 2017
Seun:

Can you post a pic of what the plants look like when they start withering away, or describe them? Do the leaves become bent or wrinkled?

Absolutely correct!!! Everything just bends/rots away, I could simply use my hands swap them of the ground like damp spider web. It first starts up like having withered patches, then it starts expanding with most just bending over.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Itydee(m): 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2017
Thanks a zillion.
Can I start planting Cucumber and Tomatoes now?
People that planted Ugu in my area are crying because of glut. Lots of Ugu leaves everywhere and no patronage from buyers. This is around Etche in Rivers State
jidestroud:

Thanks for the positive feedback, really appreciated. Okay, back to business.
Firstly, 40 plots isn't something to play around with biko. I have come to the realization that Agriculture is Real BUSINESS, and it requires 100% attention if you are to make a living from it.

Secondly, both cucumbers and tomatoes are good to go but you need to all the factors for optimum growth and bountiful harvest in place. e.g.

1. Your Terrains (Land type, soil type, season etc) before you even start. This enables you to make necessary provisions for deficiencies and supplemental additions if need be.

2. No what type of cucumber/tomato specie thrives best. (Well, for this rainy season, you would've have to go extra yard if you want to go into tomato farming as of now, believe me, the odds ain't too good for now)

3. Most people actually don't discuss the other part of Farming, i.e. Where you could actually fail big time. Not even in this time when diseases and pests are a major concern in crop farming. you would to prepare for it. Like someone told me, Don't ever try resurrecting an infested/infected plant, just destroy and start over again...meaning "prevention is better than cure in farming. Lol

4. On the issue on viability of your seeds, well, there are couple of ways I try checking out if a seed is till viable; like suspending in water, wrapping the seeds in damp tissue paper and putting it in my fridge to see if it develops roots in a couple of days...etc.

5. Why not try out ugu (fluted pumpkin) farming. You could lay your hands on some ph seeds (which is also in high demand in lagos here) or go for the all time sort after calabar seeds. Both will do very well in this season with less stress. The rains will do just fine.

6. I know nothing on ginger farming.

Hope I helped a little. Lol.

NOTE: I'm not an expert/professional in Agricultural crop farming . Please, before you go ahead and start up, do consult with professional in the field.

Thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 6:56am On Jul 28, 2017
Itydee:
Thanks a zillion.
Can I start planting Cucumber and Tomatoes now?
People that planted Ugu in my area are crying because of glut. Lots of Ugu leaves everywhere and no patronage from buyers. This is around Etche in Rivers State

Wait till September if you're growing them for sale. PH and southsouth still has plenty rain. Veggies are more profitable in dry season, then the "easy farmer" would be out.

Like me, I plat only dry season corn, why? Everyone does it when it is raining and there's surplus.

5 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Itydee(m): 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2017
Nice response. I was of the same opinion. I have a young friend who is planting now. though he has suffered severe seed loses. I believe there is too much rain to plant Cucumber and tomatoes this August
1kinggy:

Wait till September if you're growing them for sale. PH and southsouth still has plenty rain. Veggies are more profitable in dry season, then the "easy farmer" would be out.

Like me, I plat only dry season corn, why? Everyone does it when it is raining and there's surplus.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:05am On Aug 03, 2017
Tomato Updates: (A few pickups)

Finally I get to harvest ripe fruits from the tomato plants. It's a long time coming. Eight 8 big fruits were harvested in total. We finally did it, Yes we made it. Thanks to everyone who helped (with inputs/contributions) in making it a success.

Both the tomato plants in sacks/open fields did excellently well. Lots of tomato fruits clearly visible on all the plants and I am expecting the next harvest to be more (lol).

Note: It was purely organically grown, No chemicals, No laboratory synthesized pesticides/insecticides/fungicides etc used. Everything used were basically homemade at virtually no cost at all (except a few though).

Review: Will be doing a review from start to finish (planting to harvesting), cost incurred and homemade practices used.

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Ndbc(m): 7:31pm On Aug 03, 2017
Congratulations to you op.. your effort has paid off, waiting for your review and probably the areas we should be more conscious of.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 8:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
jidestroud:

Finally I get to harvest ripe fruits from the tomato plants. It's a long time coming. Eight 8 big fruits in were harvested in total. We finally did it, Yes we made it. Thanks to everyone who helped (with inputs/contributions) in making it a success.

Both the tomato plants in sacks/open fields did excellently well. Lots of tomato fruits clearly visible on all the plants and I am expecting the next harvest to be more (lol).

Note: It was purely organically grown, No chemicals, No laboratory synthesized pesticides/insecticides/fungicides etc used. Everything used were basically homemade at virtually no cost at all (except a few though).

Review: Will be doing a review from start to finish (planting to harvesting), cost incurred and homemade practices used.

Cool, mine is on the way.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by maisauki: 3:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
jidestroud:

Finally I get to harvest ripe fruits from the tomato plants. It's a long time coming. Eight 8 big fruits in were harvested in total. We finally did it, Yes we made it. Thanks to everyone who helped (with inputs/contributions) in making it a success.

I'M PROUD OF YOU

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ndbc:
Congratulations to you op.. your effort has paid off, waiting for your review and probably the areas we should be more conscious of.

Thanks. Will do a detailed review soonest.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2017
oyetpel:

Cool, mine is on the way.

Great!!! shows they are doing fine. Can't wait to view the uploads on your thread.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
maisauki:
I'M PROUD OF YOU
Thanks to all.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2017
jidestroud:

Finally I get to harvest ripe fruits from the tomato plants. It's a long time coming.
Nice tomatoes. Which type/variety of tomato is that?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2017
Seun:
Nice tomatoes. Which type/variety of tomato is that?
Rio grande Tomato variety by Technisem.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:35am On Aug 11, 2017
Cabbage Update:

The cabbage heads are now very visible and firm. Issues of snails and slugs still comes up once in a while (still looking for the perfect remedy), aside that, everything seems to be doing just fine.

Tomato Update:

It's just lovely to see the tomato plants doing excellently well. Staked a few, while the heights keeps increasing daily. Spraying with my mixture of baking soda and vegetable oil is a routine I engage myself with every two days (can't give room diseases).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 6:06pm On Aug 11, 2017
jidestroud:
Cabbage Update:

The cabbage heads are now very visible and firm. Issues of snails and slugs still comes up once in a while (still looking for the perfect remedy), aside that, everything seems to be doing just fine.

Tomato Update:

It's just lovely to see the tomato plants doing excellently well. Staked a few, while the heights keeps increasing daily. Spraying with my mixture of baking soda and vegetable oil is a routine I engage myself with every two days (can't give room diseases).

very lovely my keen interest is on the cabbage. how old are they currently?.
for your tomato is it determinate or indeterminate?.
also, to avoid not risking fungal infection, check the leaves closer to ground level. gently prun out those little or slight discoloration. because they are getting more nutrients than required and pose a risk for fungal attack in addition to sharing nutrients the fruit will use in growing large and early maturity.
Again if you can culture a lactobacillus serum or indegenious micro organisms, it well help you prevent bacteria attack, remember tomatoes are vulnerable to fungal and bacteria attack specially in this rainy season. kudos!

4 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by 1kinggy(m): 11:11am On Aug 13, 2017
jidestroud:
Cabbage Update:

Tomato Update:

Hi. I can see you have weeds under control. How are you doing it?

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:38am On Aug 20, 2017
Garden Update: (Rodent Elimination)

Recent development in the garden had got me perplexed. With everyday comes the loss of my cabbage leaves; it has to be an invasion of the molluscas (snails specifically).

Goodnews, I caught and killed the culprit today. It turned out to be a giant rat (I never knew rat fed on cabbage though, or maybe it was a coincidence). Sorry rat lovers, this one is going to be thrown away. One less trouble in my garden.

Happy Sunday folks.

5 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by eddyline(m): 3:06am On Aug 21, 2017
jidestroud:
Garden Update: (Rodent Elimination)

Recent development in the garden had got me perplexed. With everyday comes the loss of my cabbage leaves; it has to be an invasion of the molluscas (snails specifically).

Goodnews, I caught and killed the culprit today. It turned out to be a giant rat (I never knew rat fed on cabbage though, or maybe it was a coincidence). Sorry rat lovers, this one is going to be thrown away. One less trouble in my garden.

Happy Sunday folks.
A rat as big as this to be thrown away in this change we are undergoing? what a waste of meat. haha.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
News Update!!!

Every lines seems to be falling in pleasant places. I have been able to seal a deal that got me 2plots of land to expand my farm. All thanks to God and also nairaland for the platform to gain the required technical know-how.

Bringing you more updates on the land soonest.

It's time to expand and explore. (Farming just got better)

8 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 3:22pm On Aug 28, 2017
jidestroud:
News Update!!!

Every lines seems to be falling in pleasant places. I have been able to seal a deal that got me 2plots of land to expand my farm. All thanks to God and also nairaland for the platform to gain the required technical know-how.

Bringing you more updates on the land soonest.

It's time to expand and explore. (Farming just got better)

This is good news.

I didn't know there are still empty lands in Lagos. I thought all lands there have got buildings on them.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
oyetpel:

This is good news.

I didn't know there are still empty lands in Lagos. I thought all lands there have got buildings on them.

Lol. Ofcos there are still lots of potential farmlands in Lagos. It all depends on the axis, secured mine along Lagos Badagry express RD.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2017
Good and Bad News:

Bad news, the rains came again, a few upripened fruits were detached from the plants.

Goodnews: The tomato fruits were incredibly big. Rio degrande Tomato is indeed one of a kind. Super big tomatoe fruits. I would have to keep them indoors and wait for the green ones to ripe.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by eddyline(m): 6:23pm On Aug 31, 2017
wow, your tomatoes look lovely.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:27pm On Aug 31, 2017
eddyline:
wow, your tomatoes look lovely.

Yes o! That's the Rio degrande tomato specie

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Update: Cabbage Harvest!!!

Finally, I get to harvest my cabbage. Sorry, no weighing machine around, would have loved to get it's measurement in kg. Now let's go make myself some coleslaw. Harvesting the rest in some days.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:38am On Sep 05, 2017
More Updates: Cabbage Harvest

I failed to heed my very own advice: "Never stay away from your garden/farm for more than 24hrs, everything could go wrong". Sad one for me.
Traveled to the federal capital to celebrate the Salah with friends of the Muslim faith on thursday, got back yesterday monday. Every other plants (tomato, fluted pumpkin, green vegetable, lagos spinach, basil and the newly planted lemon grass) where in good shape except the cabbage. The snails and slugs did prevail at last. Was able to harvest about 4 heads, lost 6. Lesson learnt.

Nevertheless, it was a success story. F1 Victory Cabbage is sure a good one to go!!!! Off to try out another specie.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 9:41am On Sep 05, 2017
jidestroud:
More Updates: Cabbage Harvest

I failed to heed my very own advice: "Never stay away from your garden/farm for more than 24hrs, everything could go wrong". Sad one for me.
Traveled to the federal capital to celebrate the Salah with friends of the Muslim faith on thursday, got back yesterday monday. Every other plants (tomato, fluted pumpkin, green vegetable, lagos spinach, basil and the newly planted lemon grass) where in good shape except the cabbage. The snails and slugs did prevail at last. Was able to harvest about 4 heads, lost 6. Lesson learnt.

Nevertheless, it was a success story. F1 Victory Cabbage is sure a good one to go!!!! Off to try out another specie.
wow sorry for the sad news, absent is a no no in farming.
nice harvest. please i am interested with your F1 victory . seems to mature ealier than this thai agro own. how do i get the seed?.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:34pm On Sep 05, 2017
Munzy14:

wow sorry for the sad news, absent is a no no in farming.
nice harvest. please i am interested with your F1 victory . seems to mature ealier than this thai agro own. how do i get the seed?.

I was gifted. I still have the seeds with me. if you are Lagos based I don't mind parting with some.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2017
jidestroud:

I was gifted. I still have the seeds with me. if you are Lagos based I don't mind parting with some.
wow!. I stay in Owerri. I woudnt mind getting few seeds as waybill. will soo much appreciate.Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.