Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,737 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. (1206 Views)

2019 Presidential Election - Prediction And Analysis Of Possible Outcome / Why We Have Not Paid The Ikoyi Whistle-blower - Lai Mohammed / EFCC Act Makes It Compulsory To Expose The Owner Of The Ikoyi N15bn Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by gabng(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2017
If the expected reports from the NSA is sincere enough about the money found in Ikoyi, then expect very powerful men to fall.

Forget the stories of the three musketeers(or is it the three idiots?). The combined foolishness from Wike, Fayose and FFK shouldn't make us lose focus of the simple facts.

I do not want to discuss the Ameachi's angle. Only ignorant puppets would believe that Ameachi would take money to keep in a fortress closely associated to the PDP that wants his downfall by all means.

Let us logically discuss the more plausible option. The NIA.

The NIA boss is a PDP faithful and was appointed while the PDP was in power. They claim that money was meant for covert operations. No matter how I look at the plausible facts, this Oke man is dead meat.

Firstly, did the DG NIA inform the presidency or not of such operations after he took over from the PDP? If he didn't, then that is treason. He certainly was hiding that money for certain criminals who still claim to be holy.

Secondly, the angle of the PDP former chair is valid, and indeed he used to own the house but it was sold. But the story gets even more exciting. The apartment was sold to Thabi Ventures Limited, a company owned by Mrs. Folashade Oke, the wife of the DG, NIA.

Why would the DG plan to use money meant for covert operations and store such in what is best described as 'personal property' which is outside any military or para-military confinements?

What type of covert operation would require monies to be left idle for more than two years? Where they planning to execute their covert operation in 2019 or 2023?

The office of the NSA and the attorney general would be making final recommendations soon to the presidency based on all facts. It is a good thing the EFCC and FG have refrained from joining the speculations. It is my belief that if the NSA ain't compromised, powerful people should be indicted, and if not, at the very least the head of Mr Oke should be delivered on a platter of gold to the nation.

Finally, to the Wike worshippers, he already said the people of Rivers should go to pray so the heart of the FG can be touched to return the money supposedly stolen by Ameachi. What a ridiculous joke. Rather than go to court, a governor is recommending prayers. Even a clown won't utter such.

I used to think Fayose was the greatest backward comedian governor until I met Wike. As a personal opinion from me, I greatly believe that money was stolen and a part of it was to be used to sway elections in Ekiti and in 2019. The many dramas around is only trying to shield some very important people. We patiently await what the office of the NSA would recommend to the FG. Until then, wailers please make less noise biko.

© OmòBùHáRí

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by three: 9:54pm On Apr 17, 2017
Deceit appears to be stock in trade
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by uptimum123(m): 9:56pm On Apr 17, 2017
Watching in 3D cool
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by duality(m): 9:59pm On Apr 17, 2017
gabng:
If the expected reports from the NSA is sincere enough about the money found in Ikoyi, then expect very powerful men to fall.

Forget the stories of the three musketeers(or is it the three idiots?). The combined foolishness from Wike, Fayose and FFK shouldn't make us lose focus of the simple facts.

I do not want to discuss the Ameachi's angle. Only ignorant puppets would believe that Ameachi would take money to keep in a fortress closely associated to the PDP that wants his downfall by all means.

The NIA boss is a PDP faithful and was appointed while the PDP was in power. They claim that money was meant for covert operations. No matter how I look at the plausible facts, this Oke man is dead meat.

Firstly, did the DG NIA inform the presidency or not of such operations after he took over from the PDP? If he didn't, then that is treason. He certainly was hiding that money for certain criminals who still claim to be holy.

Secondly, the angle of the PDP former chair is valid, and indeed he used to own the house but it was sold. But the story gets even more exciting. The apartment was sold to Thabi Ventures Limited, a company owned by Mrs. Folashade Oke, the wife of the DG, NIA.

Why would the DG plan to use money meant for covert operations and store such in what is best described as 'personal property' which is outside any military or para-military confinements?

What type of covert operation would require monies to be left idle for more than two years? Where they planning to execute their covert operation in 2019 or 2023?

The office of the NSA and the attorney general would be making final recommendations soon to the presidency based on all facts. It is a good thing the EFCC and FG have refrained from joining the speculations. It is my belief that if the NSA ain't compromised, powerful people should be indicted, and if not, at the very least the head of Mr Oke should be delivered on a platter of gold to the nation.

Finally, to the Wike worshippers, he already said the people of Rivers should go to pray so the heart of the FG can be touched to return the money supposedly stolen by Ameachi. What a ridiculous joke. Rather than go to court, a governor is recommending prayers. Even a clown won't utter such.

I used to think Fayose was the greatest backward comedian governor until I met Wike. As a personal opinion from me, I greatly believe that money was stolen and a part of it was to be used to sway elections in Ekiti and in 2019. The many dramas around is only trying to shield some very important people. We patiently await what the office of the NSA would recommend to the FG. Until then, wailers please make less noise biko.

© OmòBùHáRí

Do you ever believe that a kobo of Rivers State money was used for the 2015 elections and if you believe or agree, what is such diversion called.

2 Likes

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by BlackMbakara1(m): 10:11pm On Apr 17, 2017
gabng:

© OmòBùHáRí

Nice one OP, read that Ameachi is suing. Can't wait to read how the melodrama unfolds.

1 Like

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by Iamwrath: 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2017
Hehehehe

Watch how they'll flood this thread trying to rationalize

Even with the truth's asshole right in their face, they'll still say its propaganda

1 Like

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by PapaBrowne(m): 10:46pm On Apr 17, 2017
To think you called this non partisan!!
A terribly biased opinion is more apt.

Just for your information, even though I know your reasoning is set to default bias mode, why is the EFCC taking so long to announce the owner of the house? Apparently, the same Saharareporters you got your "Mrs Oke" story from is the same is the same outlet that named Muazu, NNPC lady & Anenihs daughter as owners of the money. How can a human being be so gullible as to believe another article from the same lying outlet.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by slivertongue: 11:12pm On Apr 17, 2017
what is non partisan about this crap that lacks research depth and vertical analysis?
Agreed that the Oke guy is responsible for the money. the answers you ought to provide are: how much was the buget of NIIA? when was it released to them? was it in cash? and if it was in a bank, then which bank and who did the withdrawals? who owns the house is secondary? The issue is beyond party and tribal affilation. Because it may surprise you that oke is a front for a faction of the ruling class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by igwebuike01: 1:16am On Apr 18, 2017
Wait ooo. are people saying that buhari is not in charge here?? how can the DG of NIA be loyal to past administration because they hired him, Did the past administration not hire CBN governor and many others?? If NIA DG is the looter, it is on Buhari and his administration simple

1 Like

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by igwebuike01: 1:18am On Apr 18, 2017
gabng:

© OmòBùHáRí
WIke was your darling when he spoke against IPOB but now a backward comedian. Ok
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by OPCNAIRALAND: 1:24am On Apr 18, 2017
As far as ownership on these flats, ask Lagos State Internal Revenue Service...they know who they send tax bills to.
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by greenmonk: 2:27am On Apr 18, 2017
gabng:

© OmòBùHáRí

Wailers! and you are not partisan?
Your have already defined your mental state.
ZOMBIE
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by Swizdoe(m): 3:21am On Apr 18, 2017
The fact that it's taking efcc days to come out and clear the air proves the owner is in the Apc...

During Yakubu's case, he was revealed immediately. But this efcc foot dragging says a lot
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by gabng(m): 3:52am On Apr 18, 2017
greenmonk:

Wailers! and you are not partisan?
Your have already defined your mental state.
ZOMBIE
[quote[quote author=slivertongue post=55662216]

Read & Be Enlightened Ye Children of Hate

#Revelations

The contents of the article below lends credence to the narrative the the ikoyi apartment funds emanated from the $289 Million suspicious disbursement in 2015 to the NIA by the previous administration in the run up to the 2015 election's.

Nigeria: Buhari’s 2016 budget continues use of secretive ‘security votes’ BY MATTHEW PAGE
JANUARY 14, 2016

Nearly $50 million has been set aside in unaccountable items notorious for being misdirected.

Nigerian security forces in Kaduna. Credit: Mr Ulster.
Nigerian security forces in Kaduna. Credit: Mr Ulster.
Under President Muhammadu Buhari, the fight against corruption in Nigeria has unquestionably turned a corner. Shortly after taking office in May, he vowed to “plug revenue leakages”, made sweeping changes in the notoriously corrupt Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), and took steps to tighten control over public spending. He gave the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission free rein to pursue former officials, several of whom have been arrested.

However, despite these advances, Buhari’s 2016 budget raises awkward questions. According to official details just released by the Nigerian government’s Budget Office, the 2016 budget contains over 30 so-called “security votes”.

In theory, security votes are catch-all line items inserted in the budget to give recipients the flexibility to cover ad hoc security expenditures. But in practice, they are opaque slush funds that officials have long used to embezzle state funds or redirect them for political purposes. Security votes are distinct from the type of extra-budgetary defence spending that may have been misdirected or stolen by the previous government, but they resemble them insofar as they are spent with scant legislative oversight or outside scrutiny.

In light of his record and rhetoric, Buhari’s decision to use security votes raises doubts about whether his anti-corruption strategy is comprehensive enough to put Nigeria back on track.

Thinly-veiled theft

A relic of military rule, security votes were used to siphon public funds during Nigeria’s Second Republic from 1979 to 1983. In fact, when the military overthrew the government and Buhari became a military head of state in 1983, he arrested former officials and investigated fellow military officers for embezzling security funds.

Max Siollun suggests that these actions contributed to Ibrahim Babangida’s decision to topple Buhari in 1985. And under Babangida and later Sani Abacha, the use of security votes as a tool for self-enrichment was perfected and institutionalised.

Following Nigeria’s 1999 return to civilian rule, soldiers-turned-civilian officials such as President Olusegun Obasanjo and former National Security Adviser Aliyu Mohammed Gusau ensured that security votes survived.

Although it makes sense that a few select military and intelligence expenditures should remain classified even in a democracy, the widespread use of security votes by federal, state, and even local officials is anathema to norms of transparency and accountability. Yet top politicians have long turned a blind eye to the practice or even attempted to excuse it.

As one now-opposition party heavyweight recently griped: “Why are we probing security votes now? You see, security votes to my understanding can be used for native doctors, it can be used to hire Alphas [soothsayers] and it can be used for churches to pray for the country. It can be used for even sponsoring things.”

And the winners are…

In Buhari’s proposed 2016 budget, the top ten security votes amount to about N9.3 billion ($46.5 million), which his 25% less than the equivalent amount tucked into his predecessor President Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 budget. Although these votes make up less than one-half of one percent of overall recurrent expenditure in the 2016 Appropriation Bill, they represent huge windfalls for the handful of top officials entrusted with spending them.

The 2016 budget contains a N576 million ($2.9 million) security vote for the National Security Adviser, even though the last NSA, Sambo Dasuki, allegedly diverted up to $2 billion from the security budget in office. Although 10% less than Jonathan gave Dasuki in 2015, the amount indicates that the political and financial pre-eminence of the NSA among Nigeria’s top brass will continue.

As it did under Jonathan, the shadowy State Security Service (SSS) is set to receive the largest security vote in 2016: about N2 billion (roughly $10.4 million) or 10% less than last year. Since Buhari took office, the SSS has been increasingly assertive under the leadership of Lawal Musa Daura, who hails from the president’s home town. Daura has purged officers accused of misconduct and corruption from the top ranks of the SSS.

Nigeria’s small foreign intelligence arm, the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), will enjoy a N1.2 billion ($6 million) security vote in 2016, a little less than it received last year. Buhari has retained Jonathan’s NIA director, Ayo Oke, who even joined the new president on his July 2015 visit to the US. Nevertheless, his stewardship of NIA finances have been called into question. A recent pbs documentary showed evidence that the agency received a suspicious disbursement of $289 million from the NNPC on the eve of the 2015 election, an amount more than twice its annual budget

Last but not least, the Ministry of Defence and the three branches of the Armed Forces are set to receive security votes totalling approximately N5 billion (roughly $25 million). This amount is about half of what they received in 2015. This reduction might reflect Buhari’s concerns about alleged financial malfeasance by the military under President Jonathan.

Looking ahead

President Buhari is undeniably working to root out and deter corruption from the top down. Nigerians elected him to do so and, to an unprecedented degree, he and his government are making progress. Yet the unfolding Dasuki affair should be a reminder that secretive security slush funds can easily end up paying personal, rather than operational, dividends.

If the Buhari government continues to use security votes, it could at least work with the National Assembly to better monitor how such funds are spent. It could also enable citizen oversight by declassifying how the money was spent after two years.

Having said that, even if he wants to maintain the use of these secretive funds, Buhari may soon find that as more embarrassing details of security sector corruption emerge, he has no choice but to address security votes, one of the most durable forms of corruption in Nigeria today.

Matthew Page is an international affairs fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations.

This article represents the views of the author and do not represent the official policy of the Department of State or the government of the United States. You can follow him on Twitter at @MatthewTPage.

http://www.cfr.org/nigeria/nigeria-buharis-2016-budget-continues-use-secretive-security-votes/p37441

http://africanarguments.org/2016/01/14/nigeria-buharis-2016-budget-continues-use-of-secretive-security-votes/

1 Like

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by gabng(m): 3:59am On Apr 18, 2017
igwebuike01:
Wait ooo. are people saying that buhari is not in charge here?? how can the DG of NIA be loyal to past administration because they hired him, Did the past administration not hire CBN governor and many others?? If NIA DG is the looter, it is on Buhari and his administration simple

Educate yourself with the article above from 2016

1 Like

Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by gabng(m): 4:01am On Apr 18, 2017
PapaBrowne:
To think you called this non partisan!!
A terribly biased opinion is more apt.

Just for your information, even though I know your reasoning is set to default bias mode, why is the EFCC taking so long to announce the owner of the house? Apparently, the same Saharareporters you got your "Mrs Oke" story from is the same is the same outlet that named Muazu, NNPC lady & Anenihs daughter as owners of the money. How can a human being be so gullible as to believe another article from the same lying outlet.

Upgrade your super reasoning with the 2016. article.
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 18, 2017
gabng:

© OmòBùHáRí

Bloody liar Omobuhari.

Proud Niger deltan indeed.
Re: A Citizens Analysis Of The Ikoyi Flats Saga. by gabng(m): 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Bloody liar Omobuhari.

Proud Niger deltan indeed.

Don't need to prove anything to you.

Your brain has packed up a long time ago

I suggest you go & farm In the SE but erosion & Lack of Land go make you die of hunger.

I fit lease farmland for Anioma nation give you but I hear you guys can drag Land even hell from satan.

KID LIKE YOU

(1) (Reply)

Ex-british Lawmaker Eric Joyce Explains Why He Said President Buhari Is Dead / Kanu: Without Biafra There Will Be No Difference Between An Animal, A Black Ppl / Igbo Is Playing With Conscience Of Nigerian...it Will Only Lead To War!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.