Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,420 members, 7,815,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result (54215 Views)

Babcook Vs OAU Response To Students' Sex Tape / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 / UNILAG VS OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by donbenie(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

You can't be a medical doctor without Medicine, Surgery, Paediatric and OnG. If you didn't do paediatric and OnG u can't be a medical doctor. Remember u didn't do paed, OnG, all the special surgery postings like (ENT, Orthopaedic, etc), Even the medicine is incomplete because the special medicine postings like (dermatology, psychiatry, etc). So incomplete medicine and surgery and u wan to be called medical doctor what insolence. See I am Sgt Ponzi Hater and I've sworn to say the truth. Thank God few today have told me weldone. Develop ur profession and stop spending ur energy telling the whole world that it's the same course because it's not. Saying u are called Doctor because u are a medical doctor by Nigerians law is even dumber. Dentist world over are called doctors, but there's is distinct from MBBS, the same way PharmD, and Optometrists are doctors. This is the whole truth.

Sgt Ponzi Hater
Hahahaha,Lol and I thought I was replying to a human being..
You're Sgt Ponzi Hater..How exactly does roaring that you're Sgt Ponzi Hater and thumping your chest add any weight to your write up?.#SMH
Funny Dude..
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by kings20(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

None of the above. The students didnt read and they failed.
Kpomkwem.

Stop saying what you don't know get your facts right
no university in Nigeria study more than those in UNN
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2017
donbenie:
Hahahaha,Lol and I thought I was replying to a human being..
You're Sgt Ponzi Hater..How exactly does roaring that you're Sgt Ponzi Hater and thumping your chest add any weight to your write up?.#SMH
Funny Dude..

U serial deceivers. Did u do OnG and Paediatric. Did u do Orthopaedic, ENT, Dermatology, Psychiatry. Did u do Community health taught by department of community health of the hospital and centred toward medicine and surgery, I know there is a dental community health dept. If u didn't then keep quiet and face ur course. MBBS is Bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery and in my opinion is the most sort for course in the Nigerian University, Dentistry give BDS which is Bachelor of dental science and claiming medicine and surgery is arrant quackery, the school would have called it bachelor of dentistry, bachelor of medicine and surgery but they didn't. Repent from be delivered from esteem issues. I am Sgt Ponzi Hater and I say only the truth.

1 Like

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
kings20:

Stop saying what you don't know
get your facts right

Because u have been to all schools in Nigeria. Nigerian students are not thorough, if they read they will pass but they involve in MMM, GHWW, ultimate cycler and the likes. Medical students are sadly the most vigorous in promoting Ponzi schemes, those kids will keep failing until they really start reading from Lagos, to Delta, To Anambra, Abuja and then Maiduguri they will fail till they know that being called a doctor may be easy but being called a medical doctor and having the life of people in their hands is a different case.

Sgt Ponzi Hater

2 Likes

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by adroitme00: 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
for those of you who are scholars and have passed thru the four walls of a university if u can be sincere and realistic you will agree with me that failure can't be outrightly blamed on the student apportion blame sometimes on the lecturers.first and foremost some of these lecturers are saddist they seldom take out their frustration on the students while marking exam scripts thereby leading to a high rise in academic failure. I quite agree that students can be lazy but these lecturers should stop frustrating the effort of those who are willing to learn, i've encountered lecturers who delight in failing student. ignorantly they are not failing the student, they are also giving d institution an abysmal academic record.like they say "you are what you preach". so when these lecturers fail students they are also failure's because " they are wat they teach". regarding the oau vs unn result I'll say kudos to oau as for the unn students better up next time, Like a frnd of mine will say the eastern universities have lost their educational pride because it has been infiltrated by politics and other vices.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2017
First i am quoting u , but the thunder will fire ur generation first.Am not an igbo , ur assertion is right , but not only in UNN , OAU is guilty as well as UI and every other universities in Nigeria
sbashir10:
University of Nigeria.
or university of igbo's, what do you expect when their admission is characterized by ethnic bigotry and sentiments, you'll hardly finds any tribe other than igbos in this so called UNN.....
and they end up calling Nigeria a Zoo.
quote me make thunder from Zimbabwe fire your left yans... h
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by donbenie(m): 12:52pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

U serial deceivers. Did u do OnG and Paediatric. Did u do Orthopaedic, ENT, Dermatology, Psychiatry. Did u do Community health taught by department of community health of the hospital and centred toward medicine and surgery, I know there is a dental community health dept. If u didn't then keep quiet and face ur course. MBBS is Bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery and in my opinion is the most sort for course in the Nigerian University, Dentistry give BDS which is Bachelor of dental science and claiming medicine and surgery is arrant quackery, the school would have called it bachelor of dentistry, bachelor of medicine and surgery but they didn't. Repent from be delivered from esteem issues. I am Sgt Ponzi Hater and I say only the truth.

Hehehehe,it's Bachelor Of Dental Surgery not Bachelor Of Dental Sciences,you don't even know what it stands for and yes the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery which is among the most esteemed Surgical departments is a Dental Specialty..
Mr Truth Sayer like I said,your demented views are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things..Truth Hurts..My Salary Alert says your are a Liar..#THEONLYTRUTHTHATMATTERS
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by mannyiyke: 12:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

So it's OK for a dentistry student to tell me his is studying medicine and surgery? And the same government wen advertising say they require medical doctors and dental officers. And the government parastatal is called medical and dental council. They should have said they require medical doctors or also just called it Nigerian medical council since u are quoting a none existent law to back ur being in a far lesser course. NMA is not a government institution and there is even dental association of Nigeria but they prefer to hide under NMA because they are an insignificant few and their voices will be muscled up if they stay alone speak the truth only.

Sgt Ponzi Hater

Sgt Ponzi Hater, let me tell u: Dr Obimankinde is a dentist and also a consultant Oral and maxillofacial surgeon. He became the chairman of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Osun State Branch. There is also this dentist working in Nassarawa (i've 4gotten his name). he was formerly an NMA chairman, Nassarawa State Branch.

In Ghana, Prof. Francis Addo-Ababio is a dentist. He became the president of GHANA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION from 2005 to 2007. I'm not talking of Ghana Dental Association. What's ur problem. Remember, he did his postgraduate in dental public health.

Even on graduation day, both a dentist and a medical doctor are sworn into their professions with the same Hippocratic Oath. And in the advert of the graduation day, it is either it is written like: swearing in of medical/dental doctors or it will be: swearing in of medical doctors/dental surgeon.

The past chairman of NMA, Osun State Branch, who is a medical doctor, once said during the Johesu crisis in Osun State that it is only medical doctors and dentists are recognized as doctors in any hospital setting and that the duo have a high medical education to run a teaching hospital. He went further by saying that it's the duo (medical doctors and dentists) that have the exclusive right to be consultants in a hospital setting, that it is the practice all over the world. I will search 4 that press release and show u later. I deal with facts.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 23, 2017
U actually wrote that? How many universities have u been to?
kings20:

get your facts right

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by vantage001: 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
Given the fact that OAU is a school where academic system is a mess, i think UNN has better standards.
Medical Exams is not an exam where you have over 80% pass rate. We are dealing with human lives here.
UNIBEN too is as bloody as UNN.
I don't know how OAU mark theirs.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by linearity: 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
Upon all these school wahala to enter school to read medicine or law and another set of wahala to graduate.

Doctors and lawyers no go see work for 9ja. Doctors are collecting N60k/per month for private hospital right here in Lagos and lawyers are at the Ikeja under bridge looking for someone to write affirdavit for.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
mannyiyke:

Sgt Ponzi Hater, let me tell u: Dr Obimankinde is a dentist and also a consultant Oral and maxillofacial surgeon. He became the chairman of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Osun State Branch. There is also this dentist working in Nassarawa (i've 4gotten his name). he was formerly an NMA chairman, Nassarawa State Branch.

In Ghana, Prof. Francis Addo-Ababio is a dentist. He became the president of GHANA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION from 2005 to 2007. I'm not talking of Ghana Dental Association. What's ur problem. Remember, he did his postgraduate in dental public health.

Even on graduation day, both a dentist and a medical doctor are sworn into their professions with the same Hippocratic Oath. And in the advert of the graduation day, it is either it is written like: swearing in of medical/dental doctors or it will be: swearing in of medical doctors/dental surgeon.

The past chairman of NMA, Osun State Branch, who is a medical doctor, once said during the Johesu crisis in Osun State that it is only medical doctors and dentists are recognized as doctors in any hospital setting and that the duo have a high medical education to run a teaching hospital. He went further by saying that it's the duo (medical doctors and dentists) that have the exclusive right to be consultants in a hospital setting, that it is the practice all over the world. I will search 4 that press release and show u later. I deal with facts.

U just answered my question u are a dental doctor and not a medical doctor. A medical doctor must do OnG, Paediatric, ENT, Orthopaedic, Psychiatry and must be able to handle general medical practice alone. You made a list of Ghana medical association and Nigerian medical association which is good but only a few dentist presided over those. I've never said dentist are not doctors but they are dental doctors period.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 23, 2017
linearity:
Upon all these school wahala to enter school to read medicine or law and another set of wahala to graduate.

Doctors and lawyers no go see work for 9ja. Doctors are collecting N60k/per month for private hospital right here in Lagos and lawyers are at the Ikeja under bridge looking for someone to write affirdavit for.

Nice it's better they shove their result into their ass and innovate or they become the most frustrated people in Nigeria. A typical Nigerian doctor 4yrs post graduation is homeless and can't afford accommodation. All the ones I have spoken to leave inside hospital in a makeshift room that was meant for patient without a life and a salary of 70k per month, while lawyer keep using their call to bar shoe till it become a signature.

Sgt Ponzi Hater
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by PrinceMario(m): 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2017
vantage001:
Given the fact that OAU is a school where academic system is a mess, i think UNN has better standards.
Medical Exams is not an exam where you have over 80% pass rate. We are dealing with human lives here.
UNIBEN too is as bloody as UNN.
I don't know how OAU mark theirs.
You Nigerians are so used to abnormalities.
So Harvard,John Hopkins and the rest that record 85-90% pass rate have a messy academic standard.
Let these happen in ordinary South African university, that a class record 95% failure, the lecturers will answer questions, and will most likely kiss their employment letters a goodbye.

So because they fail now shows they'll make good doctors than their counterpart in OAU, UI, UNILAG and ABU

1 Like

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 23, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

The students didnt read and they failed.

Kpomkwem.
you think medicine is like the course you study where you cram or calculate and pass, in medical courses there are higher levels of knowledge, which are recalling,understanding, analysing, using it in problem solving, brain storming(linking concepts together) and teaching other. Most students only know how to recall and maybe teach each other, but the more students read something over and over again, the higher your level of knowledge on the topic, and dont forget medicine is bulky, and medicine exam questions test all these levels of knowledge. It is not that they didn't study, but they didn't study smartly in a way that saves time and is efficient. Every medical student is smart and every medical student studies by default so please correct your statement or keep quiet on what you know nothing about
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 23, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

Kpomkwem.
you think medicine is like the course you studied where you cram or calculate and pass, in medical courses there are higher levels of knowledge, which are recalling,understanding, analysing, using it in problem solving, brain storming(linking concepts together) and teaching other. This is what makes it so hard.Most students only know how to recall and maybe teach each other, but the more students read something over and over again, the higher your level of knowledge on the topic, and dont forget medicine is bulky, and medicine exam questions test all these levels of knowledge. It is not that they didn't study, but they didn't study smartly in a way that saves time and is efficient. It is also one thing to study but it is another thing to remember what you studied. Every medical student is smart and every medical student studies by default so please correct your statement or keep quiet on what you know nothing about
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by vantage001: 1:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
PrinceMario:
You Nigerians are so used to abnormalities.
So Harvard,John Hopkins and the rest that record 85-90% pass rate have a messy academic standard.
Let these happen in ordinary South African university, that a class record 95% failure, the lecturers will answer questions, and will most likely kiss their employment letters a goodbye.

So because they fail now shows they'll make good doctors than their counterpart in OAU, UI, UNILAG and ABU
A john Hopkins or a havard university does not have an 80% pass rate in their medical exams. Never.
And that is besides the fact that they have a higher number of standard lecturers,and significatly better students that would justify such high pass rate.
OAU is a shitty school, with a completely calamitous academic calendar. So how do you justify that kind of pass rate?
What kind of medicine are you teaching. ?
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

U just answered my question u are a dental doctor and not a medical doctor. A medical doctor must do OnG, Paediatric, ENT, Orthopaedic, Psychiatry and must be able to handle general medical practice alone. You made a list of Ghana medical association and Nigerian medical association which is good but only a few dentist presided over those. I've never said dentist are not doctors but they are dental doctors period.
guy just stop it abeg.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2017
gadgetsngs:
First i am quoting u , but the thunder will fire ur generation first.Am not an igbo , ur assertion is right , but not only in UNN , OAU is guilty as well as UI and every other universities in Nigeria
i can beat my chest and say not UNILAG, we have hausas, igbos, yorubas, benin, urhobos, idomas etc. some from other countries including isreal. So pls dont generalise
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
you think medicine is like the course you studied where you cram or calculate and pass, in medical courses there are higher levels of knowledge, which are recalling,understanding, analysing, using it in problem solving, brain storming(linking concepts together) and teaching other. This is what makes it so hard.Most students only know how to recall and maybe teach each other, but the more students read something over and over again, the higher your level of knowledge on the topic, and dont forget medicine is bulky, and medicine exam questions test all these levels of knowledge. It is not that they didn't study, but they didn't study smartly in a way that saves time and is efficient. It is also one thing to study but it is another thing to remember what you studied. Every medical student is smart and every medical student studies by default so please correct your statement or keep quiet on what you know nothing about

This person graduated at least 5years ago, while you are still in d university trying to educate him. That's why medical student fail enmass they are too opinionated, proud and ill-mannered. If u spent ur time u might be a better doctor. see medicine is a course that has no end so u should spend ur time more in studying as much instead of building ur pride and arrogance. There is no course that can't be passed with effective study. Also note that doctors are quite broke this days and studying medicine will not give u d wealth u seek as many doctors are working for 50k while others are fighting for internship so they can have some tangible income for 5-8yrs before becoming jobless again. Its only u females that will end up marrying a rich Alhaji as 4th wife and enjoy his blood stain loot, whilst still maintaining ur gross ignorance, arrogance and mediocrity at ur work place.

Sgt Ponzi Hater
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by teamsynergy: 1:41pm On Apr 23, 2017
afonjasaremad:

..UNN has the most strict admission process......From the result above, I will prefer to be treated by a doctor who graduated from UNN than OAU...standard matters a lot...not passing a medical exam as if na linguistics
so u think this result makes unn med studs better than Oau med studs?.... I laugh in Spanish.... if truly they are smart and d management is fair, the result shouldn't be that bad..wtf.. like say Oau admission process na beans...

1 Like

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 23, 2017
mannyiyke:

I'm tired of replying that idiot. I am a dental student in that school. Even in Medicine, they were 273, 107 passed while 166 failed. i never heard that anybody in medicine had a distinction. Forget all the lies they're spinning here against dental students. God will be their judge. I've never seen where being a medical student implies that u're more intelligent than a dental student or vice versa. For their information, i once got admission into medicine 4 years ago after 8 years of getting my first degree, but due to financial difficulty, i couldn't continue. Then later on, a medical doctor was complaining that more medical doctors are being trained in Nigeria but there are fewer jobs for them. The other one even said he begged them to do his housemanship free of charge. I then made a U-turn to dentistry since the number of graduates of dentistry is still low. i can't imagine what happened to me after my first degree to happen to me again.

That sgtponzi stated yesterday that one cannot finish MBBS and go for BDS if he/she wants. i showed him foreign trained medical graduates that have done it and are still doing it today. One thing i want to say again is that a medical doctor doesn't even know anything about dentistry 'cos he/she did not do any of dental courses at all, but a dentist knows something in medicine.

For ur residency training in Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery (a specialty of dentistry), one has to rotate through general surgery, orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, ENT, plastic surgery, etc. The same is applicable in oral medicine and oral pathology which are all branches of dentistry.

Remember that some medical students got admission through the back door. Like one case i saw at UNEC the other time. A student i taught in SS2 and 3 who was very poor and couldn't cope is now reading law at UNEC. When i saw him, i was taken aback how he got it. he might/might not have got it through the back door. i asked about the most brilliant among them then, he said that he's studying political science at a state university. These are the issues of life one can encounter.

There is no where it is written that a medical student is the most brilliant. Even a prof of medicine, Oluwadikoya (i've 4gotten his name) once said that passing through medical school is 80% hardwork, that a brilliant student who doesn't work hard will fail while an average student who works hard, will pass. The same applies to Dentistry. Neither of the two is easy.

And this comparison we often see here is not even found among dental and medical consultants 'cos they know neither of the two is easy since the two professions pass through the same postgraduate medical college and residency training before becoming consultants in their different specialties.

This will be the last i will reply to anything from SGTPONZI or any medical student, cos they're committing fallacies. They're ignorant, especially SGTPONZI who is the most foolish, daft, local, incorrigible and ignorant being on the face of the earth. I'm above him, so i don't have time for frivolities and trivialities.
dont mind that ponzihater, his ego and mouth is bigger online than in life.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
teamsynergy:

so u think this result makes unn med studs better than Oau med studs.... I laugh in Spanish.... if truly they are smart and management is fair, the result shouldn't be that bad..wtf

Igbos are generally unintelligent academically, they use so much stress and energy to understand simply thing. Their only strenght is their resielence and tenacity. Yoruba's are tailored to be bright in academics but they are too lazy, Hausa's know nothing and are admitted with outrageously low cut off marks, This is d simple fact why they all fail like chickens. Akwa-iboms and Bayelsa have the highest number of geniuses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

This person graduated at least 5years ago, while you are still in d university trying to educate him. That's why medical student fail enmass they are too opinionated, proud and ill-mannered. If u spent ur time u might be a better doctor. see medicine is a course that has no end so u should spend ur time more in studying as much instead of building ur pride and arrogance. There is no course that can't be passed with effective study. Also note that doctors are quite broke this days and studying medicine will not give u d wealth u seek as many doctors are working for 50k while others are fighting for internship so they can have some tangible income for 5-8yrs before becoming jobless again. Its only u females that will end up marrying a rich Alhaji as 4th wife and enjoy his blood stain loot, whilst still maintaining ur gross ignorance, arrogance and mediocrity at ur work place.

Sgt Ponzi Hater
this is the last time i will reply to your useless jargon on this thread. Firstly i am not a medical student. Second unlike you all i posted i realised while in medical school and it helped me graduate, that was my big picture. Third, it is not arrogance, it is confidence, an honor to be called into a profession as this to save lives even those that seem to be useless like yours. I have satisfaction in the fact that i am doing the little i can in the community and the world as a whole and sleep safe at night. Fourth i cant come and study 6+x years in school only to end up as the wife of one alhaji cos i'm christian. I also have standards due to my years of training and other things. Fifth you are an empty vessel, a broke ass visionless scum who mouth is bigger than the content of his brain which can only come up with nonsense views and posts, operate two opposable thumbs to type above said nonsense, a joystick that can only piss and eject semen that will produce individuals as dumb as you and an a$$hole that deserved to be rammed by a gay alhaji. I hereby part ways with you. Good day
funmisticqueen signing out
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by mannyiyke: 2:08pm On Apr 23, 2017
sgtponzihater:

You can't be a medical doctor without Medicine, Surgery, Paediatric and OnG. If you didn't do paediatric and OnG u can't be a medical doctor. Remember u didn't do paed, OnG, all the special surgery postings like (ENT, Orthopaedic, etc), Even the medicine is incomplete because the special medicine postings like (dermatology, psychiatry, etc). So incomplete medicine and surgery and u wan to be called medical doctor what insolence. See I am Sgt Ponzi Hater and I've sworn to say the truth. Thank God few today have told me weldone. Develop ur profession and stop spending ur energy telling the whole world that it's the same course because it's not. Saying u are called Doctor because u are a medical doctor by Nigerians law is even dumber. Dentist world over are called doctors, but there's is distinct from MBBS, the same way PharmD, and Optometrists are doctors. This is the whole truth.

Sgt Ponzi Hater

In a hospital setting, it's only medical doctors and dentists are called doctors. Even an optometrist in a hospital setting is not called a doctor. They can bear the title elsewhere. It is only in the UK that dentists and other surgeons are called misters (Mrs). Reason being that Dentistry and surgery in general emanated from barber surgeons who didn't go to school then, until they were stopped. Then dentistry became a formal study and also surgery became integrated into medicine as medicine and surgery. before a medicine was only medicine. So, in the UK and some parts of Europe, if u're a dentist or an othopedic surgeon, or an ENT surgeon or a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon, u're addressed as mrs. The only difference being that these surgical specialties are under medicine, and before their residency training in surgical subspecialties, they were known as doctors, but on being consultant surgeons, they are henceforth addressed as misters (mrs).

For ur information, a dental student will rotate through all these medical departments (except O and G) in their 500 level. I will agree that the rotations may not be as deep as that of medical students, cos medicine is not their core course. Also, a medical student will not rotate through any dental dept. That's why if u want to specialize in any dental subspecialty, u must get an undergraduate dental degree and likewise a dentist who wants to go into medicine. That does not mean a dentist is not a doctor. Remember, an optometrist u mentioned is even responsible to an ophthalmologist in a hospital setting. So, the overall decision goes to an ophthalmologist who admits and discharges an eye patient, while a dentist has the rights and privileges to admit and discharge dental patients same as his medical doctor colleagues. He also has dental nurses, dental therapists or hygienists and dental lab technologists/technicians working under him and he is the team leader. An optometrist doesn't have such clinical rights and privileges.

Even in the private setting where an optometrist opens an eye clinic, he doesn't have the power and education to treat all eye diseases. He cannot perform eye surgeries. In complex eye cases, he will refer them to an ophthalmologist who is a specialist medical doctor trained in the surgical and non-surgical treatment, diagnosis and management of the eyes.

But a dentist can do minor surgeries while a specialist dentist called an oral and maxillofacial surgeon can perform both minor and major surgeries involving mouth and the maxillofacial areas such as cancer removal, mandibulectomy, genioplasty, orthognatic surgery (jaw surgery), treatment of facial trauma for accident victims, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, etc. If a child is born with cleft lip and/or palate, he is the one to do the surgery and correct that congenital abnormality. Just google branches of dentistry and see for urself.

Then, a consultant in oral medicine (a specialty of dentistry) treats complex medical and non-dental diseases involving the mouth and maxillofacial areas. In a teaching hospital with full dental facilities, if u have such a problem, a family physician or general medical or dental practitioner will just refer u to an oral medicine clinic where the specialist in oral medicine will treat u and discharge u or if there is any need for another referral, he/she will refer u. The same goes for an oral pathologist, a prosthodontist, and endodontist and also orthodontist (whose job is to straighten ur misaligned teeth {malocclusion} through braces). There is also a dental (oral) radiologist who interpretes ur radiograph just like his medical colleague radiologist, an oral oncologist who cares for patients who underwent head and neck radiotherapy for cancer treatment. A general dentist is also highly trained to administer local anaesthesia and IV sedation during a surgical procedure, while a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon is highly trained to administer both local and general anaethesia during surgical procedures. But if there is a major surgical procedure, he will need a consultant anaesthesiologist (who is a medical doctor) to administer it just as his medical colleague will also do during a major surgical procedure.

Also, during his provisional diagnosis, if there is any need for a blood test, MCS (microscopy, culture and sensitivity) test, chem path test as well as other tests he may need to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis, he will order them and when they are done by a med lab scientist, he is also properly trained to interprete them and use it for patient treatment.

Why must a practitioner of a profession that does all these not be called a doctor?
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
this is the last time i will reply to your useless jargon on this thread. Firstly i am not a medical student. Second unlike you all i posted i realised while in medical school and it helped me graduate, that was my big picture. Third, it is not arrogance, it is confidence, an honor to be called into a profession as this to save lives even those that seem to be useless like yours. I have satisfaction in the fact that i am doing the little i can in the community and the world as a whole and sleep safe at night. Fourth i cant come and study 6+x years in school only to end up as the wife of one alhaji cos i'm christian. I also have standards due to my years of training and other things. Fifth you are an empty vessel, a broke ass visionless scum who mouth is bigger than the content of his brain which can only come up with nonsense views and posts, operate two opposable thumbs to type above said nonsense, a joystick that can only piss and eject semen that will produce individuals as dumb as you and an a$$hole that deserved to be rammed by a gay alhaji. I hereby part ways with you. Good day
funmisticqueen signing out

It's better u sign out and go and study more because u are certainly a disillusioned doctor that's if u are one, because anyone can claim anything on nairaland. I am even sure I am more aware of medical trends than u so it would have been easy to claim whatever here. Mediocre's are easy to spot.
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 23, 2017
sbashir10:
University of Nigeria.
or university of igbo's, what do you expect when their admission is characterized by ethnic bigotry and sentiments, you'll hardly finds any tribe other than igbos in this so called UNN.....
i always thinks same way u think until i went for a program in enugu, UNN students attented that program and i was shocked to see d no of yoruba students among them
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by nwosueugeneken: 2:16pm On Apr 23, 2017
sbashir10:
University of Nigeria.
idiotic statement
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by CosmeticChemist(m): 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2017
mannyiyke:

Making sense like how? I'm a dental student there. Are both of them not offering the same courses with the same standard of marking. For ur information, in medicine they were 273, 107 passed while 166 failed; in dentistry they were 47, 10 passed while 37 failed. Why must u people be this foolish and ignorant?

Or do u want to tell me that both are not tasking. For once, i have never told anybody that i am in Medicine, and most of my mates i know have never done that, even if a few do it. The two professions are unique. I have seen medical doctors going to get 1st degrees in dentistry after medical school, likewise some dentists after graduation.

is this the result of those presently in year 3 or 5 ?
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2017
mannyiyke:

In a hospital setting, it's only medical doctors and dentists are called doctors. Even an optometrist in a hospital setting is not called a doctor. They can bear the title elsewhere. It is only in the UK that dentists and other surgeons are called misters (Mr). Reason being that Dentistry and surgery in general emanated from barber surgeons who didn't go to school then, until they were stopped. Then dentistry became a formal study and also surgery became integrated into medicine as medicine and surgery. before a medicine was only medicine. So, in the UK and some parts of Europe, if u're a dentist or an othopedic surgeon, or an ENT surgeon or a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon, u're addressed as mr. The only difference being that these surgical specialties are under medicine, and before their residency training in surgical subspecialties, they were known as doctors, but on being consultant surgeons, they are henceforth addressed as misters (mrs).

For ur information, a dental student will rotate through all these medical departments (except O and G) in their 500 level. I will agree that the rotations may not be as deep as that of medical students, cos medicine it's not their core course. Also, a medical student will not rotate through any dental dept. That's why if u want to specialize in any dental subspecialty, u must get an undergraduate dental degree and likewise a dentist who wants to go into medicine. That does not mean a dentist is not a doctor. Remember, optometry u mentioned is even responsible to an ophthalmologist in a hospital setting. So, the overall decision goes to an ophthalmologist who admits and discharges an eye patient. While a dentist has the rights and privileges to admit and discharge a dental patients. He also has dental nurses, dental therapists or hygienists and dental lab technologists/technicians working under him and he is the team leader. An optometrist doesn't have such clinical rights and privileges.

Even in the private setting where an optometrist opens an eye clinic, he doesn't have the power and education to treat all eye diseases. He cannot perform eye surgeries. In complex eye cases, he will refer them to an ophthalmologist who is a specialist medical doctor trained in the surgical and non-surgical treatment, diagnosis and management of the eye.

But a dentist can do minor surgeries while a specialist dentist called an oral and maxillofacial surgeons can perform both minor and major surgeries involving mouth and the maxillofacial areas such as cancer removal, mandibulectomy, genioplasty, orthognatic surgery (jaw surgery), facial trauma for accident victims, etc. If a child is born with cleft lip and/or palate, he is the one to do the surgery and correct that congenital abnormality. Just google branches of dentistry and see for urself.

Then, a consultant in oral medicine (a specialty of dentistry) treats complex medical and non-dental diseases involving the mouth and maxillofacial areas. In a teaching hospital with full dental facilities, if u have such a problem, a family physician or general medical or dental practitioner will just refer u to an oral medicine clinic where the specialist in oral medicine will treat u and discharge u or if there is any need for another referral, he/she will refer u. the same goes for an oral pathologist, a prosthodontist, and endodontist and also orthodontist (whose job is to straighten ur misaligned teeth {malocclusion} through braces). There is also a dental (oral) radiologist who interpretes ur radiograph just like his medical colleague radiologist, oral oncologist who cares for patients who underwent radiotherapy for cancer treatment. A general dentist is also highly trained to administer local anaesthesia and IV sedation during a surgical procedure, while a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon is highly trained to administer both local and general anaethesia during surgical procedures. But if there is a major surgical procedure, he will need a consultant anaesthesiologist (who is a medical doctor) to administer it just as his medical colleague will also do during a major surgical procedure.

Also, during his provisional diagnosis, if there is any need for a blood test, MCS (microscopy, culture and sensitivity) test, chem path test as well as other tests he may need to arrive at a conclusive diagnosis, he will order them and when they are done by a med lab scientist, he is also properly trained to interprete them and use it for patient treatment.

Why must a practitioner of a profession that does all these not be called a doctor?

I totally agree that they are doctors. My only issue were student coming here to deceive people that their course is medicine and surgery and they have every right to say they studied medicine. This simply was not true and would not take any of that. Your explanation have however broadened my knowledge of dentistry and I think they deserve equal respect as physicians
Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by RoyalBoutique(m): 2:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:

Kpomkwem.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result by RoyalBoutique(m): 2:28pm On Apr 23, 2017
kings20:

get your facts right

Kpomkwem.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities That Won't Offer Law And Accounting Anymore / What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / How To Calculate Your Jamb, Post Utme, Waec/ Neco Composite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.