Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' (2107 Views)

#OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore? / Opinion:does Virginity Guarantee A Faithful Marriage? / Opinion: Does This kind of Girls Really Exist ??? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by optional1(f): 1:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
In the African system (I won't say globally because I know a lot of successful people in the white world who ain't married but stay relevant), it appears that regardless of how affluence and successful you are, you can never be marked completely relevant.

For the ladies, approaching the age of 25-30 without a matrimonial home, you're already considered done and a failure. And for the men, at age 35-40 without a wife, you're seen less relevant.

Take Miss Linda Ikeji as a case of study, the most popular blogger in Africa, a self made lady has received a lot of backlash from critics due to her inability to get married despite her level of success. Same goes to the Marvin's CEO, Don jazzy, the bangalee, Dbanj, Mr incredible,MI, Mr capable,Bankole Wellington(BankyW)...to mention a few.

Now my question is, must one get married in Africa to stay relevant? Does marriage determine a complete man? Can't one just remain single, stay out of marital issues and enjoy life as a bachelor or spinster?

Cc. Lalasticlala
mydd44
krissconnect

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2017
Marriage does not determine success... Another name for marriage is bondage. angry

You need hard work to be successful in life. Marriage is not an achievement. Marriage no be here o

I'm not thinking straight, God help me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Splinz(m): 1:20pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Which kind senseless question be this

Not a senseless question at all, it's a valid one. In fact, what is senseless here is your comment. sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 24, 2017
Splinz:

Not a senseless question at all, it's a valid one. In fact, what is senseless here is your comment. sad
Get lost! I didn't read I comment base on the question
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Newboss(m): 1:21pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
The question is only senseless to a senseless person.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 24, 2017
Newboss:
The question is only senseless to a senseless person.
angry
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by babyfaceafrica: 1:24pm On Apr 24, 2017
Nope...lots of single individual are successful e.g Seun and Linda..marriage is good and should be encouraged..but people should get married on their own time..not to be pressured by folks and society.. There are lots of people in unhappy marriages,there are also people who marrying the wrong person has destabilize their life's,we also have happy marriages. God and your personal hardwork decidese your happiness,not any man or woman

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Splinz(m): 1:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Get lost! I didn't read I comment base on the question

You didn't read but you rush to comment? Who judge a book by its cover? Only idiots. smiley

PS: Even if you made your comment based on the question. How is it senseless?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
angry
Oyinda, haba
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 24, 2017
If you ask me, I guess it YES

Success in a way has gone beyond monetary achievements. It more of how people see you. How society and peer group sees you.

Even after striving hard to make all the money you can make, to some, you are still poor... More reason why I said success is relative.

What you deem as success may in fact not be what I call success. Of what what use is all your wealth without societal respect. After achieving so much feat, who do you want to bequeath your legacy to? An adopted child?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by potbelly(m): 1:26pm On Apr 24, 2017
A question I have always been asking for sometime... Sometimes I look around and ask do people really know why they get married.... Peer pressure? Desperation? Wanting to belong to the married class?
I know it's a beautiful thing if married to the right person... but do they care to ask the question -after marriage what next? Get a couple of kids then what next? Train the kids then what next? It's like a boring routine cycle... Although beautiful, there is more to life than forcing oneself into it... Live your life, have fun in a good way...For some, they are just living and not alive after marriage...
When it is your time to marry, you will marry... So stop giving yourself unnecessary headache...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by krissconnect(m): 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
Honestly,I've studied this institution called marriage and come to the conclusion that its just a pain on the ass. Receiving calls every moment from that person,asking to know ur whereabout, one can't decide to stay out of home wheneva he wants,can't get home drunk,always wake up to a nagging person.. Stress over one persons opinion. Lawd, its beta to stay single and stay out of emotional stress.

Modified: its only in Africa marriage determines a successful life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by optional1(f): 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:

Mrs FTC i hail thee

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2017
TheSlyone2:
If you ask me, I guess it YES
Marriage has nothing to do with success.

I HATE MARRIAGE
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2017
optional1:

Mrs FTC i hail thee
grin I dey vex
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by krissconnect(m): 1:30pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Oya take #200 go buy sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Marriage has nothing to do with success.
I HATE MARRIAGE
Go and rest Oyin
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 24, 2017
Splinz:

Nope, only my lunatic mother.
Lol
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2017
krissconnect:

Oya take #200 go buy sense
Lol, you said almost the same thing in my mind but you have to ass lick
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by optional1(f): 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
grin I dey vex

no vex abeg...
Na FTC cos am
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 24, 2017
optional1:

no vex abeg...

Na FTC cos am
Your asslickers want derail grin

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2017
TheSlyone2:

Go and rest Oyin
Meaning?
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Meaning?
I was even in your support. Why do you despise marriage
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 24, 2017
TheSlyone2:

I was even in your support. Why do you despise marriage
Not something we can discuss here. I've been moody since morning
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by krissconnect(m): 1:40pm On Apr 24, 2017
[sub][/sub]
Oyind17:
Lol, you said almost the same thing in my mind but you have to ass lick
undecided
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Splinz(m): 1:41pm On Apr 24, 2017
optional1:

Now my question is, must one get married in Africa to stay relevant? Does marriage determine a complete man? Can't one just remain single, stay out of marital issues and enjoy life as a bachelor or spinster?

Like you've rightly noted, marriage is viewed as very important and to a large extent, used as a yardstick on how successful one is in this part of the world.

So, to an average African out there, no matter how successful you may appeared, you're incomplete without marriage. So then, it's safe to say that marriage determines to a sizable extent, a successful life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Not something we can discuss here. I've been moody since morning
Eyah Pele. God is your strength my dear.
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 24, 2017
krissconnect:
[sub][/sub]
undecided
angry
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by optional1(f): 1:47pm On Apr 24, 2017
Oyind17:
Your asslickers want derail grin
lolz asslickers ni'bo

i don't have asslckers oh..
Re: Opinion: 'Does Marriage Determine A Successful Life?' by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 24, 2017
optional1:

lolz
asslickers ni'bo

i don't have asslckers oh..
Work hard, marriage is another name for bondage

(1) (2) (Reply)

Twitter Celebrity, 'hurt Bae' Shares New Photos Wearing Nothing But Body Paint / First Sex Experience / Emily Ratajkowski Puts Her Boobs On Display

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.