Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

"Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan (33063 Views)

Harassing My Wife, Children Is Unacceptable, Okorocha Warns Ihedioha / APC Government Harassing And Intimidating AAC Activists / Buhari Is Harassing My Family — Shocking Revelations Of Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by bolayei: 8:33am On Apr 26, 2017
God been put you there so when 2014 reach, you for split country back to how it was before 1914 but instead na celebrate you celebrate. For this ijaws will never forgive you.

1 Like

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by GavelSlam: 8:33am On Apr 26, 2017
Whynotthetruth:

So malabu scandal was initiated under Jonathan? Including Halliburton smh

He signed the field off barely 1 month in office.

2 Likes

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Jaideyone(m): 8:34am On Apr 26, 2017
criminalmindz:
2015 presidential election was an election of conspiracy, betrayal and falsification. Even jega was part of the greatest conspiracy nigeria democracy has ever known. Jega is a disgrace and history will remember him as the most corrupt/biased inec chairman . Apc,buhari , the 4 generals and northern elders might have written history but I assure you very soon the whole conspiracy will be exposed, jega will be disgraced to the point he will contemplate suicide. history will be re-written that the man who truly won the presidential election was never sworn in as president. Mark my words soon they will be a mighty revolution in nigeria that will shake the world.
2015 was buhari's year. he enjoyed cult followership in the north and southwest. even at that Jonathan got 45% of the SW vote. I have family members who voted on both sides. if the election was rigged why didn't Jonathan go to the tribunal? we all remember how 99.5% of voters in the south east and south south turned out for 2011 election. Jonathan's rigging machinery failed in 2015. it's 2yrs already. you should stop crying

3 Likes

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:34am On Apr 26, 2017
sarrki:

Gej mistakes was when he aligned with the old guard
He was loved by the masses north and south we all felt he was part of us
He messed up the whole thing
And Buhari who you worship aligned with new guard?
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by AntiWailer: 8:35am On Apr 26, 2017
texazzpete:

Someone is talking about major projects in the south east and you're whining about gbagbo and naval warships.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you are under family curse.

Lol.

Some are just not intelligent
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 26, 2017
You n buhari are gross mis-fits!
Nig. Deserves far better than redundant moorons as leaders!
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:36am On Apr 26, 2017
GavelSlam:

He signed the field off barely 1 month in office.

Can you drop a link on the sign off date, let's see the one month and crime therein? Or you just wanna spew trash?
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by QuickStandard: 8:38am On Apr 26, 2017
A client asked this question.
How do i know the number of solar panel needed to charge my 1kva, 24v 200ah battery?

Example:
For a 1kva inverter of 24VDC (voltage)
2batteries of 12volts 200AH or 100AH are required
The solar panel needed to charge a 12 volt battery is determined by the numbers of hour of daily average sunlight.
In Nigeria we have an average of 7hrs of sunlight.
However since solar are in wattage, we have to convert the battery also to watt
i.e 12v 200AH =12×200=2400watts
to know how many panels needed to charge a 12volt battery for a day, all we need to do is divide the battery wattage by hours of sunlight daily
=2400watts/7hours of sunlight=343watt solar panel is needed to charge a 12v200AH battery
For a 24v200battery
=343×2=686watts
1solar panel=200 watts
686 watts /200 watts =3.43panel
Hence 4 solar panels are required.
Same is applicable for all other cases of 2kva-20kva.

Call quick standard solutions for your solar, inverters, and UPS solutions

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by kitaatita: 8:38am On Apr 26, 2017
Amarabae:
some of you Igbos think that being Igbo automatical make you a GEJ Supporter.
I don't give a damn fuvk about GEJ, he should carry his cross pls.
He suspected Jega but didnt sack him but he was quick to sack Stella Oduah, Arunma Oteh, Azubike Ihejirika just to please the north.
How many projects did he sited in Igboland? 2nd Niger bridge? Federal roads? Oh is he still answering "AZIKIWE"?
why do Igbos love to carry another peoples cross?
After voting for him, what did Igbos get from his kinsmen other than ungrateful insults and Stealing our oil acccusation.
Out of my way pls
I don't know who you are but I just love what you wrote. I would buy you e-champagne. Igbo are normally intelligent people - the most intelligent I can say. But we tend to miss it with our blind love for Jonathan and unquestionable hate for Buhari

1 Like

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by cardinal12: 8:49am On Apr 26, 2017
Gej even though i like your personality but i put it to you that you're a weakling and a bastard.
you deserve everything you're getting from this government because you brought it upon yourself.
we tried to save you from all these things but just like a useless mumu you acted like a coward.
we protested that jega have been compromised after secretly meeting the Northern leaders yet in your deaf ears you let him continued. a smart president will sack jega even without all those convictions putting his loyalist in charge you're the president but yet you don't understand the level of your power.
a smart president would have ordered his AGF to sue the hell out of Buhari for not presenting his certificate and for lying under oat but instead you cleared him of all guilt.
a smart president would have cancelled that charade called election in Northern Nigeria where even trees voted but instead you let that be and allow them Rig the hell out of those parts.
a very smart president would have capitalised on those areas where he has majority voters as in 98% voters and rig the hell out of those areas places like Akwa ibom cross rivers delta and rivers should have produced not less than
2 million votes each while SE states at least 1 million votes each (that's exactly what apc did in kano, kastina and other strongholds of them)
should i continue...
Gej you're the cause of your predicaments and i feel little sorry for you.
in all your generation, there can never be a Man like Jonathan. you a disgrace to the civilized society. ewu
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Coolgent(m): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2017
Are they bokoharams or our yams eaters? Mr clueless Be specific
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by GavelSlam: 8:53am On Apr 26, 2017
Whynotthetruth:

Can you drop a link on the sign off date, let's see the one month and crime therein? Or you just wanna spew trash?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/05/the-oil-deal-the-disgraced-minister-and-800m-paid-via-a-uk-bank

Lionel Faull, Ted Jeory, Nick Mathiason and Jamie Doward
Sunday 5 March 2017 07.00 GMT Last modified on Sunday 5 March 2017 16.08 GMT

Britain’s commitment to tackling high-end money laundering through the City of London is under serious scrutiny after it emerged that regulators appear to have waved through an $800m bank transfer to a convicted criminal as the proceeds from one of the most corrupt deals in the history of the oil industry.

A joint investigation by the Observer and journalists from Finance Uncovered, a non-profit organisation based in London, has discovered that prosecutors in Milan believe two payments of $400m each were wired through JP Morgan in London as the spoils of a huge deal to develop a Nigerian oilfield involving Shell, its joint venture partner the Italian oil giant Eni, and the government in Abuja.

More than half the money was converted into bags of bribe cash via bureaux de change in Nigeria, while tens of millions was wired to buy a private jet and armoured cars in the US, according to documents compiled by the prosecutors. But ordinary citizens of Nigeria have not seen a penny from the deal – which, it is alleged, was partly negotiated by two ex-MI6 officers hired by Shell as “business and investment advisers”.

The astonishing allegations have been made by an Italian prosecutor, Fabio de Pasquale, whose previous scalps include former Italian leader Silvio Berlusconi.

De Pasquale and his team have spent more than two years following the money trail surrounding the murky sale of Nigeria’s prized Oil Prospecting Licence 245 (OPL 245), a huge block off the coast of west Africa estimated to contain 9.3bn barrels of crude: enough to power the continent for seven years.

Oil giants from the west, China and Russia have coveted its riches for years. But Shell and Eni eventually prevailed, paying $1.3bn to the Nigerian government to secure the field in 2011.

However, within days the bulk of the money was transferred through JP Morgan in London to a convicted Nigerian money launderer – a man with whom both Shell and Eni had been negotiating.

Fabio de Pasquale
Italian prosecutor Fabio De Pasquale has previously pursued prime minister Silvio Berlusconi through the courts. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
“The UK authorities have some serious explaining to do,” said Barnaby Pace, a campaigner with the anti-corruption watchdog Global Witness, which has investigated this case for several years.

De Pasquale has carried out raids on Eni offices in Italy and Shell’s headquarters in The Hague that have yielded tens of thousands of documents and emails.

Last month he requested that an Italian court charge 10 individuals, including five high-ranking executives from Eni, with corruption-related offences. Shell, as a corporate entity, was also included in the request, which will be considered by a court in Milan next month. Shell, Eni and all the executives named by De Pasquale strongly deny the allegations.

De Pasquale has also formally warned four former Shell employees, who allegedly played significant roles in securing the deal, that they could be subject to separate proceedings. Among them are Guy Colegate and John Copleston, identified by De Pasquale in legal documents as having “previously worked for MI6”.

Copleston was a “strategic investment adviser” at Shell who, as the UK’s former intelligence representative in Nigeria, had nurtured contacts at the highest levels of the country’s military and government. Colegate worked as a “business adviser”, compiling regular intelligence briefings on the main actors in the OPL 245 negotiations.

As Shell eyed OPL 245, both the CIA and the Foreign Office were aware that Vladimir Putin and Russia were considering trying to snatch Nigerian assets from the west.

The OPL 245 licence had proved particularly elusive. In 1998, Nigeria’s then oil minister, Dan Etete, had awarded it to a shady new company, Malabu Oil and Gas, in which, it later emerged, he held a significant stake.

But after a new president came to power, Malabu lost the licence and it was assigned to Shell. Later the position reversed and Shell began legal proceedings against the Nigerian government.

Etete was convicted in a Paris court in 2007 for his part in a separate money-laundering scandal. But this did not appear to deter Shell and Eni from continuing to court him at luxury hotels in Europe and Nigeria. After one lunch with Etete in 2009 to discuss his asking price for OPL 245, it is reported that Copleston copied Colegate on an email to say it had gone well, helped along by “lots of iced champagne”.

In 2010, negotiations swung Shell’s way when Goodluck Jonathan, an ally of Etete’s, became Nigeria’s president.

The following year, the $1.3bn deal was struck, with Malabu entitled to $1.1bn and the Nigerian government a $210m “signature fee”. Shell and Eni paid the money directly to the Nigerian government.

A fixer involved in the deal described this approach as putting a “condom” between the buyer and seller so that at no point would Shell or Eni make direct payments to Malabu or Etete, who was officially recognised as a criminal. But in May 2011, days after the Nigerian government received the money, its officials instructed JP Morgan to transfer the $1.1bn to an account in Switzerland.

At this point red flags should have been raised in London. Under money-laundering regulations, banks are required to raise Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) for highly unusual transactions, especially involving what are called “politically exposed persons” such as Etete. These reports are raised confidentially with the UK Financial Investigations Unit, which in 2011 was part of the Home Office’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

Banks are forbidden from confirming whether they have raised SARs, and both JP Morgan and the National Crime Agency – Soca’s successor – have declined to comment on the matter.

However, a source indicated that JP Morgan had raised an SAR as soon as it received the request from Nigeria.

It is understood that the bank would not have proceeded without a green light from Soca.

Well-placed sources offer three possible explanations for why the UK authorities allowed the transfer to go through. Either they saw no problem with it; or they were aware of the money’s provenance but, because the Nigerian government itself saw no corruption, there was little that could be done to secure evidence for a freezing order; or they wanted to track how the funds were disbursed to help gain intelligence.

Whatever the explanation, the transfer immediately ran into difficulties. BSI Lugano, a Swiss bank, rejected the payment, citing Etete’s money-laundering conviction. In August, JP Morgan then made a second attempt via a Lebanese bank to pay the money to Malabu, but this too was rejected. However, a fortnight later the bank was able to transfer the money, in separate tranches of $400m to two Nigerian banks.

Where all of it ended up will probably never be known. De Pasquale alleges that President Jonathan received some of the money, but he denies the claim.

Colegate did not respond to requests for comment. Attempts to reach Copleston were unsuccessful. It was not possible to contact Etete, while Eni declined to comment.

A spokeswoman for Shell said: “Based on our review of the prosecutor’s file and our understanding of the facts, we don’t believe a request for indictment is justified and we are confident that this will be determined in the next stages of the proceedings. We continue to take this matter seriously and cooperate with the authorities.”

Asked about its intelligence-gathering operations, Shell said: “Like most multinational organisations, Shell takes the duty to protect its people, assets and commercially sensitive information seriously and hires those with the most relevant experience to join its corporate security team, including on occasion former government personnel.”

Pace said the scandal highlighted the City of London’s failure to combat money laundering, something that the previous prime minister, David Cameron, had identified as a key priority and which development agencies say is vital if the assets of African countries are not to end up being lost to corruption.

“If we want to stop this kind of deal happening in future, we need to address the system that made it possible,” Pace said. “That means accountability for those that enable corruption in major financial centres like London.”

Also read:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/shells-top-bosses-knew-money-from-13bn-nigerian-oil-deal-would-go-to-convicted-money-launderer-a7676746.html%3Famp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by saintandsinnerz: 8:57am On Apr 26, 2017
blackpanda:

Speak for yourself. Majority of Nigerians were astounded and repulsed by the level of corruption and greed of gej regime. It was simply unprecedented. Not even abacha looted that much!
Mr man stop making noise upandan if you have evidence of this loot why can't you take it to court rather than spitting all over the place.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by texazzpete(m): 9:00am On Apr 26, 2017
DieDieDieOmenka:
Gej even though i like your personality but i put it to you that you're a weakling and a bastard.
you deserve everything you're getting from this government because you brought it upon yourself.
we tried to save you from all these things but just like a useless mumu you acted like a coward.
we protested that jega have been compromised after secretly meeting the Northern leaders yet in your deaf ears you let him continued. a smart president will sack jega even without all those convictions putting his loyalist in charge you're the president but yet you don't understand the level of your power.
a smart president would have ordered his AGF to sue the hell out of Buhari for not presenting his certificate and for lying under oat but instead you cleared him of all guilt.
a smart president would have cancelled that charade called election in Northern Nigeria where even trees voted but instead you let that be and allow them Rig the hell out of those parts.
a very smart president would have capitalised on those areas where he has majority voters as in 98% voters and rig the hell out of those areas places like Akwa ibom cross rivers delta and rivers should have produced not less than 2 million votes each while SE states at least 1 million votes each (that's exactly what apc did in kano, kastina and other strongholds of them)
should i continue...

Gej you're the cause of your predicaments and i feel little sorry for you angry

This is why it is painfully obvious you lack sense.

The average voter turnout % in Kano, Katsina and other others states was between 40 - 50% , same as in most states in the country.

In fact, with more than 70% voter turnout (despite violence), rivers state is the most glaring outlier, and that percentage is largely due to fraud.

Buhari was a very popular northern candidate. Blame GEJ's mediocrity for being an unpopular southern candidate.

4 Likes

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by OlaMiki: 9:01am On Apr 26, 2017
like going backward from 1960 abi !!! mumu tin
Tellemall:

One would expect buhari to investigate properly all the administrations he was involved in himself. They should be fresh on his mind.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by dobrorhie: 9:02am On Apr 26, 2017
Nigeria lost it long ago, we just didn't know.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by teemonk(m): 9:02am On Apr 26, 2017
If only you guys saw the conspiracy that played in the north, you won't go about insulting him. I am a northerner but all that he said, is very true. Only that now he looks like a crying baby but only if you knew what played out. my pity is to most of you the yorubas because you really don't know whom you're laying your bed with. And to the IPODs, not every day is business. Sometimes, you need to put that aside and go what is needful of you. You're too money conscious and that's why most regions don't align with you. Have a none money relationship with others.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by jaxxy(m): 9:04am On Apr 26, 2017
sarrki:
Hmmmmm

Gej not that the government is after you and your family alone

You are the immidiate past president so all the search light will be directed at you.

As much as I support d anti corruption drive its shud not be so. If abacha and ibb and past presidents were waviered so shud Jonathan hes not the 1st to loot if he so did else probe beyond him and do a thorough job.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Jesusloveyou: 9:07am On Apr 26, 2017
Pavarottii:

Tell me one corruption case against GEJ personally?
we are still looking for our 30tr naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by chukxie(m): 9:10am On Apr 26, 2017
Jonathan should sit down and keep quiet. The massive looting under him almost crippled Nigeria. In a sane country, his types are locked up inside a dungeon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by freshdill(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2017
SBG04:
The Irony of it all is that Jonathan was the one that authorised Diezani to bribe INEC officials with money from the NNPC. The same idiotic fellow called Jonathan has the mind to come and say the elections were compromised, by who? We've all seen reports of how Obanikoro and Fayose loaded billions of money in bullion vans to rig elections in 2014 and 2015. Dasuki was all over the place spraying money straight from the Central Bank just so Jonathan could win in 2015. Jonathan himself was spraying dollars to Oba's and traditional rulers. How much did Buhari spray? This same bastard called Jonathan has the audacity to open his mouth and malign Buhari! Because Buhari hasnt ordered his arrest. Idiotic mistake of a former President.

Shebi ur belove dullard of daura is now the supremo uno, why is there still so much hate in u eating u up like cancer
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Justuceleague2: 9:18am On Apr 26, 2017
tongue hate your Monica, but like your comment
DieDieDieOmenka:
a very smart president would have capitalised on those areas where he has majority voters as in 98% voters and rig the hell out of those areas places like Akwa ibom cross rivers delta and rivers should have produced not less than 2 million votes each while SE states at least 1 million votes each (that's exactly what apc did in kano, kastina and other strongholds of them)
should i continue...

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by michoim(m): 9:30am On Apr 26, 2017
You lost because your government was perceived and experienced by Nigerians as inept and incapable of any outstanding achievement in the face of unprecedented abundance of oil revenues/wealth. Simple. And Buhari government is after the corrupt looters in your extended family...
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Wantedmiller: 9:32am On Apr 26, 2017
criminalmindz:
2015 presidential election was an election of conspiracy, betrayal and falsification. Even jega was part of the greatest conspiracy nigeria democracy has ever known. Jega is a disgrace and history will remember him as the most corrupt/biased inec chairman . Apc,buhari , the 4 generals and northern elders might have written history but I assure you very soon the whole conspiracy will be exposed, jega will be disgraced to the point he will contemplate suicide. history will be re-written that the man who truly won the presidential election was never sworn in as president. Mark my words soon they will be a mighty revolution in nigeria that will shake the world.

revolution that will shake you not the world. Nigeria has never conducted any election, rigging everywhere. 2015 is not excluded. bear d lost period
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by gbishman: 9:34am On Apr 26, 2017
This Goodluck guy, is just a shameless entity. You were saddled with the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, with all its powers, authority and yet you open your gutter of a mouth to lament how people you appointed into office worked to sabotage you, gosh i can't believe am hearing this.
I knew you were dumb but i never realised it was to this degree.
You claimed the opposition went outside our shores to taint you black, that u weren't fighting corruption inorder for them to come into power.
My question to you GEJ is this, do you think as President of this country you fought corruption?
Secondly, even after all reports made to you by Okonjo Iweala, Soludo, Akpabio, Sanusi on the ailing economy and non remittances do you think you added accordingly?
I can bet my life my answer is as good as your 'NO'
My advise is that you just bury your head in the mud and jollof with what ever loot your family and yourself may have stolen.
Whats important and sacrosant is that hostory will always remember you as it has remembered Babangida as the killer of Nigeians economy.
Put that on your conscience

1 Like

Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Whynotthetruth(m): 9:34am On Apr 26, 2017
GavelSlam:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/05/the-oil-deal-the-disgraced-minister-and-800m-paid-via-a-uk-bank

Lionel Faull, Ted Jeory, Nick Mathiason and Jamie Doward
Sunday 5 March 2017 07.00 GMT Last modified on Sunday 5 March 2017 16.08 GMT

Britain’s commitment to tackling high-end money laundering through the City of London is under serious scrutiny after it emerged that regulators appear to have waved through an $800m bank transfer to a convicted criminal as the proceeds from one of the most corrupt deals in the history of the oil industry.

A joint investigation by the Observer and journalists from Finance Uncovered, a non-profit organisation based in London, has discovered that prosecutors in Milan believe two payments of $400m each were wired through JP Morgan in London as the spoils of a huge deal to develop a Nigerian oilfield involving Shell, its joint venture partner the Italian oil giant Eni, and the government in Abuja.

More than half the money was converted into bags of bribe cash via bureaux de change in Nigeria, while tens of millions was wired to buy a private jet and armoured cars in the US, according to documents compiled by the prosecutors. But ordinary citizens of Nigeria have not seen a penny from the deal – which, it is alleged, was partly negotiated by two ex-MI6 officers hired by Shell as “business and investment advisers”.

The astonishing allegations have been made by an Italian prosecutor, Fabio de Pasquale, whose previous scalps include former Italian leader Silvio Berlusconi.

De Pasquale and his team have spent more than two years following the money trail surrounding the murky sale of Nigeria’s prized Oil Prospecting Licence 245 (OPL 245), a huge block off the coast of west Africa estimated to contain 9.3bn barrels of crude: enough to power the continent for seven years.

Oil giants from the west, China and Russia have coveted its riches for years. But Shell and Eni eventually prevailed, paying $1.3bn to the Nigerian government to secure the field in 2011.

However, within days the bulk of the money was transferred through JP Morgan in London to a convicted Nigerian money launderer – a man with whom both Shell and Eni had been negotiating.

Fabio de Pasquale
Italian prosecutor Fabio De Pasquale has previously pursued prime minister Silvio Berlusconi through the courts. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
“The UK authorities have some serious explaining to do,” said Barnaby Pace, a campaigner with the anti-corruption watchdog Global Witness, which has investigated this case for several years.

De Pasquale has carried out raids on Eni offices in Italy and Shell’s headquarters in The Hague that have yielded tens of thousands of documents and emails.

Last month he requested that an Italian court charge 10 individuals, including five high-ranking executives from Eni, with corruption-related offences. Shell, as a corporate entity, was also included in the request, which will be considered by a court in Milan next month. Shell, Eni and all the executives named by De Pasquale strongly deny the allegations.

De Pasquale has also formally warned four former Shell employees, who allegedly played significant roles in securing the deal, that they could be subject to separate proceedings. Among them are Guy Colegate and John Copleston, identified by De Pasquale in legal documents as having “previously worked for MI6”.

Copleston was a “strategic investment adviser” at Shell who, as the UK’s former intelligence representative in Nigeria, had nurtured contacts at the highest levels of the country’s military and government. Colegate worked as a “business adviser”, compiling regular intelligence briefings on the main actors in the OPL 245 negotiations.

As Shell eyed OPL 245, both the CIA and the Foreign Office were aware that Vladimir Putin and Russia were considering trying to snatch Nigerian assets from the west.

The OPL 245 licence had proved particularly elusive. In 1998, Nigeria’s then oil minister, Dan Etete, had awarded it to a shady new company, Malabu Oil and Gas, in which, it later emerged, he held a significant stake.

But after a new president came to power, Malabu lost the licence and it was assigned to Shell. Later the position reversed and Shell began legal proceedings against the Nigerian government.

Etete was convicted in a Paris court in 2007 for his part in a separate money-laundering scandal. But this did not appear to deter Shell and Eni from continuing to court him at luxury hotels in Europe and Nigeria. After one lunch with Etete in 2009 to discuss his asking price for OPL 245, it is reported that Copleston copied Colegate on an email to say it had gone well, helped along by “lots of iced champagne”.

In 2010, negotiations swung Shell’s way when Goodluck Jonathan, an ally of Etete’s, became Nigeria’s president.

The following year, the $1.3bn deal was struck, with Malabu entitled to $1.1bn and the Nigerian government a $210m “signature fee”. Shell and Eni paid the money directly to the Nigerian government.

A fixer involved in the deal described this approach as putting a “condom” between the buyer and seller so that at no point would Shell or Eni make direct payments to Malabu or Etete, who was officially recognised as a criminal. But in May 2011, days after the Nigerian government received the money, its officials instructed JP Morgan to transfer the $1.1bn to an account in Switzerland.

At this point red flags should have been raised in London. Under money-laundering regulations, banks are required to raise Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) for highly unusual transactions, especially involving what are called “politically exposed persons” such as Etete. These reports are raised confidentially with the UK Financial Investigations Unit, which in 2011 was part of the Home Office’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).

Banks are forbidden from confirming whether they have raised SARs, and both JP Morgan and the National Crime Agency – Soca’s successor – have declined to comment on the matter.

However, a source indicated that JP Morgan had raised an SAR as soon as it received the request from Nigeria.

It is understood that the bank would not have proceeded without a green light from Soca.

Well-placed sources offer three possible explanations for why the UK authorities allowed the transfer to go through. Either they saw no problem with it; or they were aware of the money’s provenance but, because the Nigerian government itself saw no corruption, there was little that could be done to secure evidence for a freezing order; or they wanted to track how the funds were disbursed to help gain intelligence.

Whatever the explanation, the transfer immediately ran into difficulties. BSI Lugano, a Swiss bank, rejected the payment, citing Etete’s money-laundering conviction. In August, JP Morgan then made a second attempt via a Lebanese bank to pay the money to Malabu, but this too was rejected. However, a fortnight later the bank was able to transfer the money, in separate tranches of $400m to two Nigerian banks.

Where all of it ended up will probably never be known. De Pasquale alleges that President Jonathan received some of the money, but he denies the claim.

Colegate did not respond to requests for comment. Attempts to reach Copleston were unsuccessful. It was not possible to contact Etete, while Eni declined to comment.

A spokeswoman for Shell said: “Based on our review of the prosecutor’s file and our understanding of the facts, we don’t believe a request for indictment is justified and we are confident that this will be determined in the next stages of the proceedings. We continue to take this matter seriously and cooperate with the authorities.”

Asked about its intelligence-gathering operations, Shell said: “Like most multinational organisations, Shell takes the duty to protect its people, assets and commercially sensitive information seriously and hires those with the most relevant experience to join its corporate security team, including on occasion former government personnel.”

Pace said the scandal highlighted the City of London’s failure to combat money laundering, something that the previous prime minister, David Cameron, had identified as a key priority and which development agencies say is vital if the assets of African countries are not to end up being lost to corruption.

“If we want to stop this kind of deal happening in future, we need to address the system that made it possible,” Pace said. “That means accountability for those that enable corruption in major financial centres like London.”

Also read:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/shells-top-bosses-knew-money-from-13bn-nigerian-oil-deal-would-go-to-convicted-money-launderer-a7676746.html%3Famp

smh

1)Did Jonathan just become president in 2011?

2)What's possibility of winning Etete in court in 1998 on the deal?

3)What evidence showed Jonathan benefited illegally from the deal?
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:39am On Apr 26, 2017
DieDieDieOmenka:
should i continue...

His options were really between stepping aside and enjoying his loot, or getting the Jammeh and Gbagbo treatment.

Foreign forces would have assisted to forcefully remove him.

His hands were tied.

If the US could remove Sadam, Ghadaffi, Samuel Doe, etc. Who be Uncle Jonah naw?

He made the right call and conceeded.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by MrPresident1: 9:48am On Apr 26, 2017
DieDieDieOmenka:
should i continue...

Only God knows how people like you think!

If GEJ had decided to fight the 2015 elections which he could have done, I just feel pity about what would have become of people like you. You probably would be in some IDP camp by now if not consumed.

GEJ behaved GREAT! He did only what GREAT PEOPLE do!

Only the strong and godly let go., because they know that they have God.
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 26, 2017
jonathan the coward, he cant come outside to air his views and explain why so much corruption happened under his nose but felt confident to talk through a book. shior, this crappy publicity is only a means to make people buy the said book
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by freshdill(m): 9:54am On Apr 26, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
we are still looking for our 30tr naira.

Just throwing figures about base on the allegation of a deluded ex-cbn gov, where is ur fact to back it up
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 26, 2017
Adminisher:
It is Nigeria that was betrayed by this lucky foolish and very selfish man. This country gave Jonathan everything including scorlarships in school, easy ride to deputy governor, easy ride to Governor, easy ride to VP, easy ride to the Presidency.
All the guy did with it was drink and steal.
A great betrayer is Goodluck Jonathan and the people he betrayed most was the Niger Delta people.
may you remain blessed, you spoke my mind, goodluck wasted the only opportunity the Niger delta ever had for a meaningful impart and development. so what exactly is the foolish man call goodluck jonathan saying?
Re: "Buhari’s Government Harassing My Family" - Jonathan by otabuko(m): 10:08am On Apr 26, 2017
DieDieDieOmenka:
should i continue...

Brother! He was trying to save Nigeria and the Easterners from the chaos that would have befallen them. Especially, the ones residing in far away North. Buhari was ready to slaughter them. Please let's reduce the blames. 2015 is gone. Now we look forward to 2019. Gracias!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Full List Of Elected Senators / APC Torn Into Four Camps / Presidential Debate: Buhari Vs Jonathan. Who Will Win?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.