Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100516 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ogbonoeba: 3:51am On Apr 29, 2017
We are not trying to discourage you. In the west, we just want you to be prepared.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by RaptorX: 4:00am On Apr 29, 2017
sukkot:
unless the housemaid is stupid because if she is not stupid she will run away after a year. why will she be a housemaid to you in canada ? when she can go to school and better her own life ? see when you go abroad you need to leave this archaic ways of thinking behind. all that slavery you do in nigeria is not allowed in the west because that is what having personal driver and house maid is. its slavery. you tie another human beings life and destiny down for your own personal purpose. why ? if you need maid go to agency and they will give you maid who charges you by the hour. if you want car driver call chauffeur company and they will hire you driver who you will pay by the hour. thats how they do it in the west

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by 360command: 4:00am On Apr 29, 2017
bjhaid:
ok sir
you have been bursted. fake!

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by muhamm3d: 4:08am On Apr 29, 2017
A drug dealer doesn't want his son to be a drug dealer even though he's making a lot of money from it. Those abroad know-know, that's why you are subtly discouraged.

Nigerians always think they are in the worst country until they leave. A lot of Nigerians think there is better life even in Togo just because it's not Nigeria. Don't always believe the success stories those abroad tell you, some of them are simply too ashamed to admit to the difficulty hence tell you how good they are living, they go to nice places to take pics just to water your appetite. Don't go abroad and be forced to do the dirty jobs you can't do in Nigeria. You may think you are worse of in Nigeria but with patience and hard work you will also be successful in Nigeria. Even abroad you have to pay your dues. You won't become a millionaire at 30 years of age. Patience anywhere in the world is key. For every 1 success story abroad 5000 have perished. A word is enough for d wise.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ogbonti: 4:12am On Apr 29, 2017
Abroad is like "Ogboni" once you are in, you cant get out, and then when you advise people not to come... no one will listen to you anymore. Those of us today telling you guys are difficult things are, are the ones who asked these same questions 20 something years ago..

if it is so difficult, why not you come home.. Today I know better

Had i known, I would have stayed back

people come home to naija sailing on false colors and you call that accumulation of wealth?

You think abroad is like naija where u must have money to buy things? Like the USA and most western countries, most things are done on credit cards and its not like a dysfunctional system where you run away, u have to wok your butt off and pay it back.. and that is if you have a job or can keep the job you have..

I WONT SAY DONT TRAVEL, BUT YOU ARE TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR LIFE'S DECISIONS.. go ahead jump on the plane and do realize,

brother no dey abroad ooo... the people who call you everyday and whatsaap you may not pick your call or reply your text messages when you arrive because they may be squatting with some people who do not want to addd anyone more to the lists of destitute in the apartment.

Lastly, I pray you make it here in winter months and with this experience, you will beg to and crave to return to naija, BUT the cold must do justice to your ribs and head and i pray you dont lose it to symptoms similar to hypothermia...

ENOUGH SAID.....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by curiousmind11: 4:20am On Apr 29, 2017
I can only SMH for some shallow, or uninformed comments here.

Imagine looking for illegal ways to go to developed countries. Do we think those countries were built with illegal and dishonest means? Dishonest means and illegal runs is what is keeping Nigeria the way it is.

I once told my friends and family that if it were possible, I will take all of them to my country of residence for at least a year each. If only if that will change our mindset about the western world.

Nigeria can be as great as where we all want to go to, if and only if we want her to change.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by PROPHETmichael: 4:21am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

In the words and voice of Hon Obahiagbon, "I am maniacally bewildered, overgassted and flabberwhelmed by the gymnosophic gyration, hocuspocus pooh pooh, paraplegic crinkum crankum,and cataliptic parakpoism," grin that surrounds the high level of ignorance in this your statement and it makes me smh but i forgive you because you don't know what you're saying. I feel like updating you with live documentary of the real UK and not the ones you see on tv starting from Monday........Anyone that gave you that advice about travelling abroad, take a moment and appreciate the person for telling you the truth because he/she meant well for you.

My advice to you and every other person wishing to come to the UK most especially students is that if you want to come, let it be under government sponsorship and hope they honour their sponsorship agreement at-least the first one year. Many have left their well paid job in Nigeria to come here and are now regretting. shhhh don't tell them that i told you this....Many are phd holders, masters degree holders etc but they are in care homes cleaning yiansh just to survive.

6 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by MayorofLagos(m): 4:24am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

The best diaspora is what your inner head whispers to your heart. Follow your passion!

Each to its own. What someone died trying to achieve could very well be the avenue for your fame and success.

I like that room in your profile, so comfy and inviting. Where is the bed? Me wan lay down... grin
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 4:27am On Apr 29, 2017
RaptorX:
I don't know the kind of job his brother does that he was given a driver within two years of coming to the US, even congressmen and senators don't have chaffeur driven cars they either drive themselves or take taxi, Uber or the metro. It's only in Nigeria with our cheap labor cost that every Tom dick and Harry has a driver.
I didn't even mention 2 years, see as you just jumped into discussion w/o ffllw the conversation, Smh.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 4:29am On Apr 29, 2017
360command:
you have been bursted. fake!
lol, I need to understand why you're bitter

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by lagosapple: 4:33am On Apr 29, 2017
America has a way of surprising people who leave other parts of the world to make America home. Whatever their expectations may be, America finds a way to intervene and interpret those expectations. These are the stories of Africans who have made that historic journey and the transformations their lives went through as a result. In five essays and two short stories, Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo, brings home the reality of America for African immigrants. Rudolf Okonkwo, whether he's writing on Nigerians' idiosyncrasies, political attitudes, or arcana, is dangerously funny and irresistibly addictive. Read this small gem of a book and understand what Nigerians mean when they say, "laughter will kill me." After the laughter, though, comes pensive, self-enlarging thought. If Rudolf were a vitamin, doctors would recommend a daily dose of him to all of us, period! Okey Ndibe, author of Foreign Gods, Inc. and Arrows of Rain

https://www.amazon.com/This-American-Life-Rudolf-Okonkwo/dp/0976835428/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493436760&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=this+america+life+sef+by+Rudolf+Ogoo+Okonkwo
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 4:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

I won't completely doubt his story.

A former colleague moved to a Swiss private bank (in a developed country) as a senior VP and as part of his employment package, he got a fully furnished apartment and a brand new SUV (but without a personal driver).

I won't be surprised if a more senior staff member had the same perks but with a personal driver.

Cc. Bjhaid
The only reasonable reply so far.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mathy2p2: 4:34am On Apr 29, 2017
Na me tell them to do so bcs no space in USA again. Any problem?

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mctowel01: 4:39am On Apr 29, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nice thread but Nigeria is not a difficult place to live in. Those who want to migrate can do so legitimately and anyone seeking to stay shouldn't be made to feel like he or she is living in hell because it isn't true. Good thread
Hey, some are actually living in hell. Maybe you are privileged to afford some basic life necessities, but I kid you not,.. I see hell and imagine how people cope.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by badman007(m): 4:42am On Apr 29, 2017
I'd like to come back someday... With the little I've seen here, I know it's only a matter of time before we overtake, and that's only if we do things right.

Europe should be a place we can all go for visiting, there is really no place like home

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by nextstep(m): 4:43am On Apr 29, 2017
Mcowubaba:

Brov, that's an offensive word at bolded.
Why classify Nigerian home-based girls as Local chicks, that's derogatory and kinda racist

I doubt he meant to offend with local (as in backwards), but meant local to Nigeria, i.e. not foreign. Like when one says local government, or local delicacy - there's nothing offensive in that use, is there?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by helpyom(f): 4:44am On Apr 29, 2017
Mcowubaba:

Which kind help you dey find

Anyone oo to migrate
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by InvertedHammer: 4:47am On Apr 29, 2017
kretoz:
Please pals, I heard health workers make it easier in USA, but my cousin a Dr who married a Nigerian guy who lives abroad and who has been there for 6 yrs came back and she doesn't plan going back, her presence shattered my idea of traveling out, please can someone clarify me cos I don't know how to ask her what happened since she looked malnourished and stressed out
/

She couldn't pass USMLE and ended up frustrated. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by judgedredd22(m): 4:50am On Apr 29, 2017
TrapQueen77:

Coz that's wat the reality & not only Nigerians are talking like that..ppol abroad discourage others to go abroad due to the bad experiences they've encountered..

But here is wat i can say..don't let these discouragements stop u from reaching ur dreams to go abroad...ur experience may be different from the others.

Don't lose hope & juz keep going..

trapqueen? wow.... this definitely is not a trap! grin grin

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by nextstep(m): 4:52am On Apr 29, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Some housemaids earn better than some of their employers.
A housemaid combining various employers and shift patterns, would be swimming in Canadian $$$$$

Doubt it. Such a person would still be limited to the number of hours in a day. And a maid making $10/hour times 10hours is looking at a monthly income after tax of 10x10 x 6days x 4weeks x .70 (after tax you keep about 70%) = $1680/month which seems like a lot till you shell out 800 rent, 200 utilities, 400 food, 300 health insurance, 200 transport, and the rest to payback whoever helped you get over there. Before you know it, you find yourself working and not saving anything

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by mctowel01: 4:53am On Apr 29, 2017
Pidgin2:

Do you know me, how can you say you live in Nigeria more than me?

I recently welcomed someone from the UK (a relative) who came around after over five years since he came last and he was so impressed with Naija, taking pictures every minute and sending to people there.

What he marveled at was the change in landscape and the fast pace of development in Lagos, he did things like; paid visits to tourist centers - which we've always had but I never took the time to see, and he is making plans to relocate already so what do you think you are talking about?

You are a strange breed to be honest. Anyone who is happy with living well, in the midst of friends and society in poverty has a lot of self centeredness. No, I am not advocating for people to migrate illegally, but most of your posts reek of "Nigeria is good for me, I am comfortable, why give a fxk about the millions suffering" Such is not life dear.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 4:57am On Apr 29, 2017
Mexicans are the most hated racial group in the US by reason of the fact that they take a huge chunk of the purported 11 million illegals, if the rhetorics of the previous election is anything to go by. This has a way of rubbing off on legal hardworking Mexicans. Now, as a Nigerian living in America, would I encourage another Nigerian to come here illegally without a plan including a legitimate pathway towards legal immigration? Hell no. Even visa lottery winners need 5-10 years headstart pursuing the American dream before achieving great things. I'd leave you to imagine what it is like to be an illegal here.

There are many legal routes that Nigerians aren't exploring enough: apply to graduate school, up your social media wooing skills, participate in the visa lottery, etc. Oustanding entertainers, artists, athletes, academics with a lot of publications can self petition for a greencard. Investors with a lot of money can petition for a green card too. You don't have to live in the US to petition in the EB1 and EB2-NIW category. Additionally, if you're less than 18 and you have a family member who is a US citizen, they can file for you too.

11 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by InvertedHammer: 5:05am On Apr 29, 2017
There is no point debating.

USA is very easy. So just enter plane and come.

Case closed. No be dollars? Na you go pluck tire.

9 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by 1Rebel: 5:06am On Apr 29, 2017
bebe2:

Jesu shocked

U just proved my point.

Next time he comes tell him to look for a charity/foundation and help out for a couple of hours, or go to a hospital and pay for one persons bill dat is being held for none payment, or go to a govt primary school and buy uniforms for ten kids with the worst uniforms, should I continue??

Don't make it seem like self centredness runs in ur blood ooo, it's not nice undecided

You really have time to be replying this troll. Smh
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 29, 2017
factwriter:

...yet you remain there. You seem well fitted and settled in, which is contrary to your cautions (assertions) you gave.

You even have enough leisure time to do Nairaland

Aba! why now? are you guys so scared of competition from new comers?
undecided

Maybe because I came here when I was 11 undecided

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by paris10: 5:11am On Apr 29, 2017
I got an in-law that's got a husband in the US. Husband isn't doing great and struggles a lot. She thinks husband was cheating, and couldn't believe someone would be in the states and struggles. This woman also has mother in the UK that sends her money every time. So she concluded that certainly her husband was cheating since her mother could be so generous. Husband warned her about trying to come and joined him. He has no legal documents yet, but still working, thanks to friends. Wife decided to travel with the kids nonetheless.

Getting to the states, she met shocker. Reality dawned on her. She went to her cousins and saw them doing great (cousins have papers). Went back to her husband and started trouble. She has high expectations of the US. She now couldn't stop comparing her cousins and mother with her husband. She refused to believe that life could be that hard. No day will pass by without her fighting with her husband. She doesn't work, have no money to do her hair or even buy clothes.

So people, believe those people who advise you against such move. But if you still want to travel, make sure you have relatives that have legal papers over there. Make sure they're well connected too. Tell them of your impending visit and be open to them about your duration of stay. Duration of stay is the biggest issue in abroad. People are willing to take you in for 2 weeks, one month max. Beyond that, you become a liability. Have plenty of money. Contribute to house glossaries and be responsible. Don't worry if you ran out of money, when you water the ground, you step of cold ground that'd later soothe you.

11 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:12am On Apr 29, 2017
4dor:

This is only applicable to people without any type of skill or career, in the past few months a lot of Software Engineers have been recruited from Lagos to Berlin and none of what you've said has been a problem. Change is not easy, it has its challenges but please don't make it sound like an impossible task.

Maybe you should ask them how they are doing. If they don't have to learn the language
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:13am On Apr 29, 2017
bjhaid:
Oh really?, You've blown the matter outta proportion, no need for further discussions.

That's because you are lying about your brother and the chauffeur story.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OluDare01(m): 5:27am On Apr 29, 2017
I will never encourage anybody to be illegal in any country.
There's a lot of folks here in the US living illegally and we don't know what Trump would do concerning immigration and deportation.
Personally,I've had a lot of enemies since I came here because they believe I'm being selfish or I don't wanna help.
Here's my experience with different folks.
1) I'm a student,I only work as a teaching assistant with my dept with little pay. Folks at home would be asking for money as if money falls as rain. They don't believe you don't work,cos that's illegal to work off campus in the US.
2) Most people I've talked to want the fast route to making money. They don't wanna take the pain to study and write the GRE. Some don't even wanna spend money for processing at all.How would you help such a person?
3) If you don't have money,you Wil suffer here. I live in one of the cheapest places in the US and I pay approx $320/month as bills.
That's a lot of money in Nigeria,not to talk of feeding and other miscellaneous. If you live in places like New York,Washington D.C., the D.M.V area,Carlifornia to mention but a few,you pay a lot of money as rent. Hence,you need a lot of money before you can live there. People here work hard for the money, that's why they're stingy.
Imagine someone asking me for $100 as if it grows on a tree?
Living abroad comes with challenges. We all have problems but people back home won't understand.

I'll never advise anybody to live illegally. Please don't try it!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by sekem: 5:31am On Apr 29, 2017
claremont:
I'm guessing I'm being wicked and selfish by only supporting people who wish to migrate legally. If we go along with the OPs reasoning, a good way to show selflessness and generosity is to assist our fellow Nigerians to 'go abroad' using any legal or illegal means.
Yet, we blame politicians for being corrupt, I strongly believe that 99.9% of Nigerians are innately corrupt. Nigeria is a country were someone who chooses to do the right thing is viewed as abnormal, selfish, wicked.What is sad is that some Nigerians in the diaspora still have not shaken off the innate Nigerian mentality. This is why non-Nigerians perceive the average Nigerian as a potential fraudster, they posit that the only honest Nigerian is the one who hasn't found himself/herself in a position to steal and/or commit fraud.

Exactly!!!

This is just one of the main reasons why they love to hate President Muhammadu Buhari so much

They just don't want to be reformed

As for me now, I don't make any efforts to enlighten any Nigerian anymore

I'd rather leave them to wallow in their chronic ignorance and stupidity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by wildkris(m): 5:31am On Apr 29, 2017
enomakos:
are you from Jupiter?
what do u know is average

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Livefreeordieha(m): 5:36am On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

I dont discourage people to migrate especially if they are under some dire situation.
If you have a good job plus career in naija, can afford good hospitals, live well, afford holidays overseas e.t.c then they might want to consider d "abroad" option well. The "abroad" could be a career suicide at times.
you have spoken well..I don't discourage anyone..infact have never ..I remember I had 2brothers 10yrs ago studying with me in Russia ...fast forward to the point they one day went to the school and begged for deportation as their parents could no longer sponsor them and as u know there are no jobs.make no mistake the taste of the pudding is in the eating..is because☝comments like the above I don't I want live and let live your mistakes are like buttholes you have yours and I have mine. .I can only advice you but I will not be responsible for you.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply)

Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.