Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100623 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 4:11pm On May 06, 2017
marylandcakes:

So sad sad

Very sad indeed.

I just pray Nigerians would listen.
This one moved me close to tears at a point, the point where the lady that gave birth just wanted to go back home.

I felt for them but it's their fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkaLYs9v00
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Onegai(f): 4:38pm On May 06, 2017
Egunmogaji, pidgin2

There are 2 sides of the coin to living in the US. When I first moved there, I stayed with cousins and their families. And despite the large house and nice cars, they acted meanly and pinched pennies (even in uncalled for situations). Once, my cousin and I discussed the Metro for transport and he gave me $10 (unasked for, I had large bills only so he wanted to give me change). His wife called me later to give me a lecture (over $10!). Another would happily eat the pricey loaves of bread I bought from a special bakery but would harden her face like concrete when I grabbed some grapes from the fridge. As if I could not afford grapes in Nigeria. All nurses, I may add. They whined about electricity bills if I stayed up past 10pm,yet expected the gens to be run all night long when they came to visit us in Nigeria. My mum said "they grew up poor, they live beyond their means abroad because they want to show they have" Arrived", all you see them flaunting is got on credit, mortgages and rent-to-buy". I knew a guy who had $2000 wristwatches but worked as security, so his nna bros back home would hail him. Rather than save up and start something lucrative.

Compare that to my brother, a professional, who drives a nice car and paid off his student loans and insist we have holidays which he pays for and goes to nice restaurants and I can use the internet in peace without worrying who will come and bend my ears.

So you may be one of those who has their head above water in the US but a large number of them don't yet like to pretend to. Maybe Pidgin2's cousins are part of the latter group and you Egunmogaji are part of my brother's group.

I know someone living in her in-law's mansion in the US (he made his billions in Nigeria). Her hubby cannot afford that type of house. She's constantly taking selfies in front of it and uploading for the world to see and admire that she don "Arrive" yet complains bitterly that her relatives back home keep asking for money. Why won't they, when she is misrepresenting her life? Same in the UK, see them at the MMIA looking all fresh and brand-new, yet living in a poky apartment in Peckham.

As for the Healthcare, America is stvpid and Nigeria is worse. The only reason I prefer Nigerian healthcare is that I am privileged to be able to afford the best and have relatives whom are excellent Dr's. I certainly won't wish Nigerian NHIS or General Hospitals, which I applied for and am yet to get, on my enemy. Actually I do, I'm evuls grin

And stop hyping Cali. In all of SoCal, there's no bubbling church that managed to close on time grin

10 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by marylandcakes: 7:32pm On May 06, 2017
cosade:

Very sad indeed.

I just pray Nigerians would listen.
This one moved me close to tears at a point, the point where the lady that gave birth just wanted to go back home.

I felt for them but it's their fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkaLYs9v00

These people are desperate. The people I blame for this humanitarian crisis is the Western world and our corrupt government. All these people want is just a life with the basics. It takes a desperate person to embark on such a journey.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Originalsly: 8:04pm On May 06, 2017
Pidgin2:

Just need to correct an impression here, my cousin stays in New York and she buys water from Walmart to drink(for her family), all my relatives do this as they don't trust the public water supply system
Buying bottled water is a choice. Your relatives couldn't be staying in NYC and be complaining about the water. NYC has excellent water... no colour, no taste, no smell, no rust and is always colddddd all year round..... chilled before circulated to kill any bacteria. In fact, it is better than a whole lot of those funny tasting bottled water.BTW...where do you think is the source of most bottled water?

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by justwise(m): 8:04pm On May 06, 2017
marylandcakes:

These people are desperate. The people I blame for this humanitarian crisis is the Western world and our corrupt government. All these people want is just a life with the basics. It takes a desperate person to embark on such a journey.

Why?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 8:12pm On May 06, 2017
marylandcakes:

I can understand if you partly blame our corrupt government but not quite sure why blaming the Western world. Kindly expantiate.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 3:48am On May 07, 2017
Onegai:
Egunmogaji, pidgin2

There are 2 sides of the coin to living in the US. When I first moved there, I stayed with cousins and their families. And despite the large house and nice cars, they acted meanly and pinched pennies (even in uncalled for situations). Once, my cousin and I discussed the Metro for transport and he gave me $10 (unasked for, I had large bills only so he wanted to give me change). His wife called me later to give me a lecture (over $10!). Another would happily eat the pricey loaves of bread I bought from a special bakery but would harden her face like concrete when I grabbed some grapes from the fridge. As if I could not afford grapes in Nigeria. All nurses, I may add. They whined about electricity bills if I stayed up past 10pm,yet expected the gens to be run all night long when they came to visit us in Nigeria. My mum said "they grew up poor, they live beyond their means abroad because they want to show they have" Arrived", all you see them flaunting is got on credit, mortgages and rent-to-buy". I knew a guy who had $2000 wristwatches but worked as security, so his nna bros back home would hail him. Rather than save up and start something lucrative.

Compare that to my brother, a professional, who drives a nice car and paid off his student loans and insist we have holidays which he pays for and goes to nice restaurants and I can use the internet in peace without worrying who will come and bend my ears.

So you may be one of those who has their head above water in the US but a large number of them don't yet like to pretend to. Maybe Pidgin2's cousins are part of the latter group and you Egunmogaji are part of my brother's group.

I know someone living in her in-law's mansion in the US (he made his billions in Nigeria). Her hubby cannot afford that type of house. She's constantly taking selfies in front of it and uploading for the world to see and admire that she don "Arrive" yet complains bitterly that her relatives back home keep asking for money. Why won't they, when she is misrepresenting her life? Same in the UK, see them at the MMIA looking all fresh and brand-new, yet living in a poky apartment in Peckham.

As for the Healthcare, America is stvpid and Nigeria is worse. The only reason I prefer Nigerian healthcare is that I am privileged to be able to afford the best and have relatives whom are excellent Dr's. I certainly won't wish Nigerian NHIS or General Hospitals, which I applied for and am yet to get, on my enemy. Actually I do, I'm evuls grin

And stop hyping Cali. In all of SoCal, there's no bubbling church that managed to close on time grin

We all have individual experiences which forms our opinions.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 3:51am On May 07, 2017
On another note.

I sat behind an older gent yesterday that was being deported from Atlanta.

In case you're reading this please accept my sympathies Sir.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by marylandcakes: 5:08am On May 07, 2017
justwise:

Why?

The smugglers are the product of the interference of the western world in the government of Libya. This has led to a state of anarchy and the ill treatment of these Africans.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by marylandcakes: 5:11am On May 07, 2017
cosade:

I can understand if you partly blame our corrupt government but not quite sure why blaming the Western world. Kindly expantiate.

My response is related to the sad video of the Libya smugglers and African migrants, no human being deserves to be treated that way no matter what.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by justwise(m): 7:24am On May 07, 2017
marylandcakes:

The smugglers are the product of the interference of the western world in the government of Libya. This has led to a state of anarchy and the ill treatment of these Africans.

Libya has never been a safe place for African immigrants even when Gaddafi was alive. The only difference now is that foreign reporters are able to have access to detention camps like the one you saw in that clip, if Gaddafi was alive no foreign reporter would have got close to prisons where many African immigrants are locked up.

There is a particular heart breaking clip by done channel 4 during the Libyan war where African immigrants(mostly Nigerians) were pleading for their lives with the TV crew to stay with them because Libyan army will execute them if left alone.

Those Nigerians using boko haram as an excuses are all lying.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 7:51am On May 07, 2017
marylandcakes:

My response is related to the sad video of the Libya smugglers and African migrants, no human being deserves to be treated that way no matter what.

I would rather blame the illegal migrants for embarking on such risky venture. Most of them knew what they could face crossing the desert and passing through Libya. In the video, some of them actually said they rather die trying to cross than go back home.

For four years now (or thereabout) there is no legitimate government in Libya, so no one should expect much from militants governing various parts of Libya. Their law enforcement officers were not trained and equally ill-equipped.

For Europe, she has the legitimate right to protect her borders just like any other country, though this is neglected by my country. At least we've heard people we voted in to protect us, telling us Nigeria was invaded by herdsmen from Mali and Senegal yet they refused to act in line with the oath of office they took.

Africans are blaming Europe for doing little, while EU citizens are blaming Europe for doing too much for the economic migrants, spending millions of Euros to rescue them from their sucidal mission on the sea, and offering them refugee status. Most of them believe this act alone is a motivation for the refugees and their smugglers.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by davymen(m): 12:55pm On May 07, 2017
Does your cousin died as a result hardship in Europe?cos I can't relate . He could even have died 3 times in Nigeria before the day he died in Europe . Here you are even talking abt a banking job that has no security .[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#006600][/color]

If I told you lies and never had a cousin who was a banker in 9ja & died in Europe, leaving 3 kids and a wife behind, may God condemn me to everlasting misery & let the pain of his grieving family be mine too.

But if it is true that I had a cousin that died in Europe after quitting his bank job in Nigeria, leaving his wife and 3 kids behind may God condemn you to everlasting misery & let the pain of his grieving family be yours too.

Please all Nairalanders HELP ME SAY AMEN. So that passing angels can hear it.

Please do not quote me again ever. Bye.[/quote]
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by marylandcakes: 1:29pm On May 07, 2017
justwise:

Libya has never been a safe place for African immigrants even when Gaddafi was alive. The only difference now is that foreign reporters are able to have access to detention camps like the one you saw in that clip, if Gaddafi was alive no foreign reporter would have got close to prisons where many African immigrants are locked up.

There is a particular heart breaking clip by done channel 4 during the Libyan war where African immigrants(mostly Nigerians) were pleading for their lives with the TV crew to stay with them because Libyan army will execute them if left alone.

Those Nigerians using boko haram as an excuses are all lying.

My question is despite all these, they are human beings like you and I. Do they deserve to be treated this way by the Libyans?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by justwise(m): 2:33pm On May 07, 2017
marylandcakes:

My question is despite all these, they are human beings like you and I. Do they deserve to be treated this way by the Libyans?

Some part of me feel sorry for them watching that clip especially the lady that gave birth in the toilet and the baby died, i cried when i saw the sort of food they are eating and the condition of the place they are staying.

That said, i have no sympathy for many of them using boko haram and the condition of things in Nigeria as an excuse to embark on that deadly journey

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 08, 2017
Originalsly:
Buying bottled water is a choice. Your relatives couldn't be staying in NYC and be complaining about the water. NYC has excellent water... no colour, no taste, no smell, no rust and is always colddddd all year round..... chilled before circulated to kill any bacteria. In fact, it is better than a whole lot of those funny tasting bottled water.BTW...where do you think is the source of most bottled water?

Hey, I know what I'm saying, take note. I was there so I am saying what I saw.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Tabbaz(m): 4:47am On Jun 04, 2017
bebe2:
This is getting annoying , how come each time a person is asking for directions on how to travel abroad most pple in diaspora will be discouraging the person.

If it's dat terrible why are u still there?

You enjoy the benefits of living in an organised society, knowing fully well that naija is a difficult place to live.

Are u scared of the competition the new immigrants will bring?

Nigerians in diaspora , what exactly are u afraid off??

hmmmm...sometime truth is bitter

For me I don't discourage people. I only encourage them to have their money or secure a job before coming

Coming to a foreign country for the purpose of hustle without adequate plan is a suicide mission. It could lead one to committing crime when things turn out negative

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Skilachi211: 4:21pm On Jun 04, 2017
Wait oo.... av been reading true dis thread bt it seems dat some people are enemy of progress some dont want to see u prosper while some will tell the fact #you knw urself abeg no vex if he be like insult
My question is what's the legal way of travelling abroad plz list all the way u sabi travel and stay legal
Thanks.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Skilachi211: 7:05am On Jun 05, 2017
Lol pls say the truth nobody will beat u i can see that u are there sending cul cash to ur family bt still dont want to believe that u are progressing
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by kaly1983: 4:38pm On Sep 13, 2017
Hello, i'm new to the forum, i'd like to share my experience as a Nigerian diaspora in EU.
Thirty five years ago my poor mother arrived in Greece at a very young age, overstayed her visa and managed to work in cleaning, caring etc. Back then the economy was thriving and it didn't matter if one was legal or illegal. Surviving on menial jobs was possible. However, after all those years,mom didn't play her cards right meaning that she never managed to legalize her status or become a citizen. Because of that, both my sister and I suffered as ''undocumented immigrants'', despite being born in the country. You see, Greece and Italy are among a few E.U. countries where immigrants' children are not recognized as citizens, let alone be entitled the country's passport. I've heard of stories of fellow Nigerians born and bred here that had to give everything up and leave before securing their rights. Some turned to prostitution, others to drugs. Such a wasted time. After 20 years of battle (and thanks to a reform in the legislation), in a few months i will become a citizen. Seeing the anguish my mom went through,i 'd say:
It is up to you whether you'll be encouraged or discouraged to make the journey. As everyone here said, being illegal will not make life easier since you will be at the mercy of dubious people. Success depends on God's blessing first and your mindset. Please do not let your best years go by doing nothing with your life. Please do not underestimate education. Being able to read, speak and write properly may take you a small step further.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Lalaski001: 12:49am On Sep 14, 2017
Wow...what an interesting thread.
I have learnt so much from this thread, thanks to everyone that contributed...

One thing is certain, home or abroad, to survive, you have to work hard.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Aurelius1(m): 6:13am On Sep 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

The average Nigerian does not sell akamu
You don't understand the picture he is trying to paint. Nigeria is so messed up right now that it takes the grace of god to eat 3 square meals a day. There are no jobs. Many families survive on selling of things like akamu, pure water, hawking of gala on the highway, selling recharge cards etc.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 14, 2017
Aurelius1:
You don't understand the picture he is trying to paint. Nigeria is so messed up right now that it takes the grace of god to eat 3 square meals a day. There are no jobs. Many families survive on selling of things like akamu, pure water, hawking of gala on the highway, selling recharge cards etc.

I understand but same way many families are doing businesses at Tincan Island, Aspanda, Idumota, Onisha main market, Aba, Kano, etc you just prefer to focus on those not doing well. Have you wondered why some are still progressing regardless?

Smh

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Bamtosoft4: 9:43pm On Jul 29, 2018
tobaseye:

Thanks for the information. Yes I'm doing core accounting job with the accounting firm.

As regards looking for another Job, am also working on it.

Bro can you help me with info on tier2 and tier 1

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.