Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100641 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by zumbigbo(m): 3:10pm On Apr 30, 2017
Our leaders are our problem and not our country, our country is blessed with the best weather, good arable land, many culture, deep belief in God and above all a hard working human resource. Our problem are the leaders who destroy this country and when they travel you see them queue up to board planes and even board trains, you see them obey traffic light and queue up at shopping malls to pay.
They are wicked, they are the enemies of this great country, they must be stoned to death anywhere they are found. grin grin grin grin grin

You made some good points in your post but the last paragraph shows the psychosis in the nigerian psyche. Rather than people stoning those leaders, they hail them in public (something for your boys/girls), hail them in private (any job for your boy/girl), fight over them at election time (having received N500 baseball cap or 200g rice). As the country moves into the abyss and hunger stalks large parts of the land, rather than face our leaders and hold them accountable like in Burkina Faso or Egypt, some prefer to dodge bullet across the Sahara and take emergency swimming lessons in Libya.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by tobaseye: 3:21pm On Apr 30, 2017
Smartlife:

So much lessons to be learnt from your post. Tank you because I learned from you
No see this. If you want to push yiurself to marry a naija girl, her family will be like they have hit a jackpot. It's normal. The gold digging part will come up and eventually if she comes and see otherwise, then you realize that the first love she claim was about the money and chance to travel to join you. The real love you will see is frustration from her and a kind of blame for deceiving her and her family. On the part becoming a bread winner.. Trust naija girls they will make it go public. I find it hard to believe those kind of gals will stick with you for life. My guy find someone over deer who understand your struggles and will love you for who you are. Had it been you had a relationship before traveling out, you could easily explain and she might understand but these gals are not still loyal.

Exactly my fear.......

Thanks.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by amii131(f): 3:34pm On Apr 30, 2017
ibrahimdoc:
hello bro. how are u doing? i got married to a german and i would like to join her in germany. but according to the requirements of the german embasey. i need to know A1 german before i could be given visa to join my wife in german. i consider this very unfair as i know a good number of people in germany speak english and if so why would i hv to be subjected through this process before i could be given visa. after a second though i went to enroll for german classes in my area, and at the end of thus classes i will be given a letter of attestation that i have gone through this program because theu dnt take exam in their center except in lagos and i dnt live in lagos. therefore my question is will the german embassey except a letter of attestation from the german center pls ur response will be highly appreciated. gut

If your married to a German/you have a relative or family ties there as citizen then you don't have a problm your the one holding yourself back not to move there.

My candid advice for you if you can just try and do the German A1 in Geothe institute in lag for the 3months is just 3 days in a week for evening programs i think 5days in a week for morning program even before you write the exam after 3months they will collect details of ppl that have relatives for visiting (more or less like sponsor) there or want to go for studies their names are specially submitted to German embassy hence your documents and all the necessary requirements needed by the embassy is complete.

Note all other outside German institute are not that recognized compared to that one even ppl from other institue bring their candidates for assesment there again German consulate come there to counsel their students needs to go to Germany for studies atleast I experienced one of their events which a top nollywood star brought his children so they can put them through on what to experience and life in germany.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by DerKaiser: 4:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
ibrahimdoc:
hello bro. how are u doing? i got married to a german and i would like to join her in germany. but according to the requirements of the german embasey. i need to know A1 german before i could be given visa to join my wife in german. i consider this very unfair as i know a good number of people in germany speak english and if so why would i hv to be subjected through this process before i could be given visa. after a second though i went to enroll for german classes in my area, and at the end of thus classes i will be given a letter of attestation that i have gone through this program because theu dnt take exam in their center except in lagos and i dnt live in lagos. therefore my question is will the german embassey except a letter of attestation from the german center pls ur response will be highly appreciated. gut

Hi Ibrahim. I can understand your frustration but please know that the western culture is quite different from ours.

You have to be integrated into any society you live and work in and the simplest form of integration is language.

They want you to learn the basics of their language because that is what you would be using here on daily basis and believe me, without understanding what the people around you are saying at any time, life would become more difficult and you more suspicious of others.

Secondly, you may find it quite frustrating and difficult to find a decent job because most employers would like to know how good your German is since you would be using it daily at work and without being able to clearly understand the instructions given to you, you may find yourself getting sacked often because Germans have very little patience for tomfoolery.

Yes many speak English and would gladly interact with you in it but those are simple instances. For jobs, official engagements, citizenship and other important things, speaking and understanding German is required, though you do not have to be perfect in it.

Regarding proof of German language for the embassy, I would suggest contacting the consulate to tell you the proper documentation you need. Germans love official documents so I doubt an attestation from a random guy would be accepted.

I would rather advise you to get your certification and proof of German from the German cultural centre which is Goethe Institut in Lagos and I would not have to tell you that in order to obtain such, you must have knowledge of German or written an exam.

If you have any more concerns, just shoot.

Good luck in your quest.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by amii131(f): 4:37pm On Apr 30, 2017
DerKaiser:

Hi Ibrahim. I can understand your frustration but please know that the western culture is quite different from ours.

You have to be integrated into any society you live and work in and the simplest form of integration is language.

They want you to learn the basics of their language because that is what you would be using here on daily basis and believe me, without understanding what the people around you are saying at any time, life would become more difficult and you more suspicious of others.

Secondly, you may find it quite frustrating and difficult to find a decent job because most employers would like to know how good your German is since you would be using it daily at work and without being able to clearly understand the instructions given to you, you may find yourself getting sacked often because Germans have very little patience for tomfoolery.

Yes many speak English and would gladly interact with you in it but those are simple instances. For jobs, official engagements, citizenship and other important things, speaking and understanding German is required, though you do not have to be perfect in it.

Regarding proof of German language for the embassy, I would suggest contacting the consulate to tell you the proper documentation you need. Though I doubt an attestation would be accepted.

I would rather advise you to get your certification and proof of German from the German cultural centre which is Goethe Institut in Lagos and I would not have to tell you that in order to obtain such, you must have knowledge of German or written an exam.

If you have any more concerns, just shoot.

Good in your quest.

Still waiting on my own replies cheesy cheesy meanwhile I sent a request to u.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ifyalways(f): 6:38pm On Apr 30, 2017
Mcowubaba:

This same $6000 can't even pay for a good decent apartment in NY for a year.. But it can pay for 3-5 years rent in Lekki, Ikoyi, Asukoro in Nigeria.

Errrrr, $6000 cannot pay a year rent for a 3 bedroom flat in Lekki 1 or Ikoyi. $6000 can only manage to fetch you an old 3 or 4 bedroom duplex in VGC and thats excluding the estate fees, agency and others.

Dunno about asokoro.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by taiyeayodeji: 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2017
you forget say people day barb for house, get their own clippers lol

toyetade:

How much will your barbing fetch you at £5 per head especially on weekdays.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
tobaseye:

Exactly my fear.......

Thanks.

What does that boy know, has he been married or is he about to get married? Ask more experienced people abeg.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by amii131(f): 7:02pm On Apr 30, 2017
ifyalways:

Errrrr, $6000 cannot pay a year rent for a 3 bedroom flat in Lekki 1 or Ikoyi. $6000 can only manage to fetch you an old 3 or 4 bedroom duplex in VGC and thats excluding the estate fees, agency and others.

Dunno about asokoro.

Depends on some parts of Asokoro with light Abi without light meanwhile that $6000 can't get a new 3flat anywhr in wuse2 or Asokoro
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by taiyeayodeji: 7:25pm On Apr 30, 2017
exactly, what most people dont know is that most nigerians and foreigners are just living an average life abroad and earning minimum wage abroad and some fews live above avearge.People are decieved they are reached because when they change the little money they earn abroad, its big in Nigeria.Like somebody said, poverty is not measured by changing money.assuming the exchange rate was ok and we have infrastrucures and security in Nigeria. i tell you.NO NIGERIAN who spend a day abroad.

cosade:

Direct conversion of currencies could be very misleading, without looking at the relativity. That money is a poor salary for a foreigner with family, working and living in South Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by justwise(m): 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
taiyeayodeji:

exactly, what most people dont know is that most nigerians and foreigners are just living an average life abroad and earning minimum wage abroad and some fews live above avearge.People are decieved they are reached because when they change the little money they earn abroad, its big in Nigeria.Like somebody said, poverty is not measured by changing money.assuming the exchange rate was ok and we have infrastrucures and security in Nigeria. i tell you.NO NIGERIAN who spend a day abroad.

That is just not true, were Nigerians not migrating abroad when exchange was ok and Nigeria has stable power supple?

British, Germans and Americans all travel abroad to live in other countries.

I think Nigeria will be a much better place if we stopped living in denial

7 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 8:23pm On Apr 30, 2017
ifyalways:

Dunno about asokoro.
$6,000 is like 2.4 million in black market.
So that can't pay for a 1 year rent of a 3 bedroom apartment in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1.
U too lie.

How much is it undecided 3 million per year

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ifyalways(f): 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
I too lie cos I tried to educate your ignorant self on what's obtainable on ground?

OK, bye.
Mcowubaba:

So that can't pay for a 1 year rent of a 3 bedroom apartment in Ikoyi or Lekki phase 1.
U too lie.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Bawss1(m): 9:53pm On Apr 30, 2017
taiyeayodeji:

Regarding the highlighted line: Where did you come about this knowledge?

Let's indulge you even further; kindly explain what you mean by an average life. Is the average Nigerian life the same as, say, the average British or North American life?

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Onegai(f): 9:59pm On Apr 30, 2017
Mcowubaba:

U too lie.

grin grin

You clearly don't live around those places. The flats that are serviced flats are paying over N500, 000 just for service charge minus electricity. N2.4mil flat likely outside Lekki 1, from Igbo Efon down to VGC. Ikoyi that they are renting and quoting in dollar, I have never heard of N2.4mil plus service charge in Ikoyi undecided).

All the wealthy people I know, and I mean the 1%, made their money in Nigeria. Abroad is better for skilled workers who want a decent lifestyle and structure in their life. But to go abroad with a plan to just "hustle", dear Lord, it's hard. Especially now, as everyone is anti-immigration.

11 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Candour(m): 10:47pm On Apr 30, 2017
ifyalways:
I too lie cos I tried to educate your ignorant self on what's obtainable on ground?

OK, bye.
Mcowubaba:

U too lie.

ifyalways is very correct. went to visit a relative at one posh estate by jakande roundabout in lekki close to shoprite there and she told me their rent is N3M/Year without adding the 40 or 50k monthly service charge plus whatever others and she claims theirs is even cheap since it's only a 3 bedroom with a penthouse.

Duplexes and detached houses in the estate go for way higher.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ichuka(m): 10:55pm On Apr 30, 2017
Candour:

ifyalways is very correct. went to visit a relative at one posh estate by jakande roundabout in lekki close to shoprite there and she told me their rent is N3M/Year without adding the 40 or 50k monthly service charge plus whatever others and she claims theirs is even cheap since it's only a 3 bedroom with a penthouse.

Wow!!
Longtime bro.
Greetings to your family
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 11:12pm On Apr 30, 2017
Candour:

I didn't know.
Even at that, I can't spend that amount of money for a 3 bedroom flat in NIGERIA.
Unless it's a company that's paying for me with no option of me collecting the accommodation allowance.

I must not live in Lekki.
Iyana apaja, Mushin, Surulere dey, wey I fit get 500k apartment, I go package my 500K per year apartment ,eh go better pass the apartments wey dey for Lekki phase 1

Secondly

I will go and build my own house.
3 million can buy a plot of land in my state of origin.
16 million can build a 7 bedroom moderate 1 storey duplex, with borehole and change for Generator

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Candour(m): 11:15pm On Apr 30, 2017
ichuka:

Wow!!
Longtime bro.
Greetings to your family

My dear bro Chuka, how you dey? longest time.
Regards to your family too
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Candour(m): 11:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
Mcowubaba:

I didn't know.
Even at that, I can't spend that amount of money for a 3 bedroom flat in NIGERIA.
Unless it's a company that's paying for me with no option of me collecting the accommodation allowance.

I must not live in Lekki.
Iyana apaja, Mushin, Surulere dey, wey I fit get 500k apartment, I go package my 500K per year apartment ,eh go better pass the apartments wey dey for Lekki phase 1

Secondly

I will go and build my own house.
3 million can buy a plot of land in my state of origin.
16 million can build a 7 bedroom moderate 1 storey duplex, with borehole and change for Generator

Different strokes for different folks bro. You're right and those who pay such are right too.

This relative's husband works in Lekki and he feels it's better to be near his work place than spend hours in hold-up commuting from a far away place in Lagos. comfort means different things to different people

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by OnePunchMan: 11:24pm On Apr 30, 2017
Candour:

Wow! As they said in time magazine, Lagos really is an expensive slum.. one pays premium for rubbish and nonsense

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 11:35pm On Apr 30, 2017
Candour:

Different strokes for different folks bro. You're right and those who pay such are right too.

This relative's husband works in Lekki and he feels it's better to be near his work place than spend hours in hold-up commuting from a far away place in Lagos. comfort means different things to different people

Comfort you say.

How long will he continue to live in Lekki.
3 million times how many years, 10 years alone is 30 million just for rent.
When he gets sacked or other unforseen contingencies, where will the family stay, can the keep up with the rent undecided
Or the will now move to Isolo or Ibafo grin

Unless your relative's husband is saving up and building his personal house somewhere or he is seriously investing into various businesses, my brother, he is on a Long thing.

I have a hustling spirit, maybe that's why things work out for me, believe me, if I work in Lekki, I will never live in any accommodation that cost me 3 million Naira per year, even though my salary is in Millions, unless as I said before, my company is paying for the accommodation with no option of me getting the cash

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by bigfrancis21: 11:35pm On Apr 30, 2017
Freeopod:
Wow.. can't believe I read till the last page. All points from both sides duely noted.
Please anyone in the US should mention the legal ways to enter into the US so that those willing to travel can choose the one most appropriate for them.
Those people who won the American Visa lottery, are they seen as US citizens or they are just green card holder with work permit? I have an uncle who won't the visa lottery approximately 20 years ago, I'm planning to speak to him soon as regards migration but I want to know if his papers and documentations as a lotteey winner can facilitate migration of a niece. Thanks Yall

When the visa lottery was on for Nigeria if you won it and passed the interview at the US embassy, you'd be given an immigrant visa that let's you travel to the US. Upon arrival to the US, you'd apply for your green card which takes about 3 moths to process. I'm not too familiar with this process but I think that the immigrant visa permits you to work while your GC is pending. Then 3 to 5 years after getting the green card you can apply to become a US citizen.

Nowadays, the 2 common routes to enter with are student (easier than the second option) and visitor's (harder to get) visa. As a young man or woman interested in coming here, I'd strongly recommend the student visa route. You can learn more here:

https://www.nairaland.com/3586207/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

3 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Candour(m): 12:13am On May 01, 2017
Mcowubaba:

Comfort you say.

How long will he continue to live in Lekki.
3 million times how many years, 10 years alone is 30 million just for rent.
When he gets sacked or other unforseen contingencies, where will the family stay, can the keep up with the rent undecided
Or the will now move to Isolo or Ibafo grin

Unless your relative's husband is saving up and building his personal house somewhere or he is seriously investing into various businesses, my brother, he is on a Long thing.

I have a hustling spirit, maybe that's why things work out for me, believe me, if I work in Lekki, I will never live in any accommodation that cost me 3 million Naira per year, even though my salary is in Millions, unless as I said before, my company is paying for the accommodation with no option of me getting the cash

well, i'm sure they've thought things through before embarking on the journey. Counting the cost before commencing is the best and most sensible thing in matters like these. If things go awry after every every, no one to blame but yourself.

Keep on with your hustling bro. Your call will surely be picked grin
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Candour(m): 12:14am On May 01, 2017
OnePunchMan:

Wow! As they said in time magazine, Lagos really is an expensive slum.. one pays premium for rubbish and nonsense

It's not a small thing
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 1:04am On May 01, 2017
Candour:

well, i'm sure they've thought things through before embarking on the journey. Counting the cost before commencing is the best and most sensible thing in matters like these. If things go awry after every every, no one to blame but yourself.

Keep on with your hustling bro. Your call will surely be picked grin
Lol.. Baba, I'm not calling!
Just diligently doing my work
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ijeaify: 1:40am On May 01, 2017
Hello , people please I have a friend whose mother inlaw is an American citizen, the mother inlaw has filed application for green card for her hubby, and her hubby has actually been refused USA tourist visa twice but some one gave her a suggestion to tell her hubby to go through study visa, Reason is because the vo sees him as a potential immigrant hence d tourist visa denial. Please how true is this.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ichuka(m): 8:01am On May 01, 2017
Candour:

My dear bro Chuka, how you dey? longest time.
Regards to your family too
My broda everybody dey ooo
Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.