Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement (23848 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan: Why I’m Staying Away From Partisan Politics / Sowore Speaks: My Connection With Tinubu And Jonathan, Why I Hate PDP (VIDEO) / "Why I Will Serve For Only One Term" - Buhari (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Limitednow: 6:00am On Apr 29, 2017
CHILLING details of how and why former President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, lost the 2015 presidential election, have continued to make the headlines, courtesy of a book “Against the Run of play: How an incumbent President was defeated in Nigeria,” written by Segun Adeniyi, Chairman, ThisDay Board of Editors.

The latest being admittance for the first time by Jonathan that there was indeed a gentleman’s agreement that he was going to do just one term and leave, but had to change his mind because “… You can make a political promise and change your mind, so long as it is within the law.”

The book was formally presented to the public, in Lagos yesterday.

Although Jonathan had in the same book before giving himself away maintained that the statement he made in Addis Ababa concerning the fact that he agreed to the one term agreement was quoted out of context, he admitted some persons made the pledge on his behalf, thus making nonsense of his initial claims that he had no idea such a thing ever existed.

“I had made a proposition for a single term of seven years. That was the context in which I spoke in Addis Ababa that if the idea was accepted, I would not run again. It was not in the context of a second term of four years.

“Of course, at that period, the issue of one term was brought several times at different meetings and some people took it upon themselves to pledge on my behalf but I never said I was going to spend only one term… the question was always usually randomly asked and I never made any such commitment to anybody. "

But former Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, on his part said” As chairman of the Northern Governors Forum, I recall having to remind him of the commitment he made to us in 2010 before we supported his bid to contest. … In one of my meetings with him, I suggested he could even choose any credible PDP man he wanted from the north and such person did not have to be among the governors. One day, he would agree to the idea, another day, he would say something else, “ Aliyu, in the same book, was also quoted to have said.

When the book was launched on Friday March 28, 2017 at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), the chairman of the occasion, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, however cautioned that it would be wrong to reduce the book to a narrative about the fall of President Goodluck Jonathan and the rise of President Buhari.

According to General Abubakar, Against The Run of Play “further deepened our understanding of what actually happened in Nigeria during the March 2015 general election which many believed, and quite right too, as one of the defining moments in our political history.”

Continuing, he said: “The book is not [about] the fall of one president and the rise of another, it is a typical journalistic history in a hurry about what happened, what could have happened and what is currently happening in our country, so that we can all learn important lessons.”

While giving kudos to the author, he challenged journalists to write more books about the different aspects of our national life, and not only on politics. “We need books to explain some of the issues that are treated perfunctorily and generate more heat than light, so we can understand ourselves better,” he charged. He specifically identified the subject matter of the Chibok girls and the Boko Haram insurgency as fertile grounds for such books.

The book was summed up by the reviewer, Dr. Okey Okechukwu, as “ the most useful contribution to our own understanding of the crises and convolution of the Nigerian state in the last 16 years.” Okechukwu called it one of the most contemporary works on political economy and power, especially, as it exists in the country.

The occasion was graced by dignitaries including former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, former Minister of Communication and (later) Transportation, Chief Cornelius Adebayo, Senator Tunde Ogbeha and Mrs. Onari Duke, wife of former Cross River State governor, who all were on the high table.

The launch also attracted people from all walks of life, especially corporate figures, politicians and media bigwigs. Adeniyi’s two successors to the office of the President’s media advisers, Dr. Reuben Abati and Mr Femi Adesina both attended the launch.

http://www.socialtimesng.net/2017/04/jonathan-why-i-backed-out-on-one-term-agreement/

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Pavore9: 6:04am On Apr 29, 2017
Power is addictive!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by madridguy(m): 6:04am On Apr 29, 2017
tongue tongue
Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Limitednow: 6:04am On Apr 29, 2017
grin
Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Atiku2019: 6:12am On Apr 29, 2017
My Former President GEJ #Respect Sir

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Nogodye(m): 6:12am On Apr 29, 2017
You change you mind and we send you back to Otuoke...Ntor!

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Jabioro: 6:20am On Apr 29, 2017
Jona dull baba, changing promises, with language I will.Now the people Will has been done

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ivandragon: 6:29am On Apr 29, 2017
the comments & positions of GEJ as contained in the book further justifies the position of Nigerians to deny him a 2nd term.

its just too bad that PMB was chosen as the option. a classic case of frying pan to fire.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Damianbrown(m): 6:31am On Apr 29, 2017
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by fatymore(f): 6:40am On Apr 29, 2017
He is looking for sympathy... All of them are the same

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by divinehand2003(m): 7:03am On Apr 29, 2017
Lol

Patience made him change his gentleman's mind.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by greenermodels: 7:09am On Apr 29, 2017
why make such a demand on him if not for the north's addiction to power? who made such requests from the born to rule Fulani herdsmen yardua and buhari?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by vecman22(m): 7:09am On Apr 29, 2017
This stupid man again.....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Babacele: 7:13am On Apr 29, 2017
......this man just bungled a lifetime opportunity of ruling for 10 straight years if he had performed well given the enormous wealth that accrued to the nation that he couldn't translate to water,power, jobs, security etc for the people of this nation but left for all sorts of theives to steal.
Who cares if a bunch of old politheivchians got any pact or not if such does not mean better lives for the citizens? The masses and other political parties would have called the bluff of any useless pact if Gej had done well but Jona neither kept the mafian pact nor did he keep faith with the masses so he was given a bloody nose by a very large chunk of the Nigerian press,the commons and soldiers, some nobles and most importantly Gej's karma( Wike, PEJ, ffk, asari, PDP, Alison,Clark, 'stealing is not corruption', immigration fatal scandal,eponzi Iweala etc) in 2015.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Histrings08(m): 7:18am On Apr 29, 2017
Why did he av to make that kind of a commitment b4 u political monsters supported him? If not because you're d monster people called u(the northern oligarchy)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by greenermodels: 7:19am On Apr 29, 2017
vecman22:
This stupid man again.....
and i can see how the wise man is currently ruling you, BMC crew and their meaningless rants.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ojobek: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Your headline run contrary to d context.agreement on one term of seven yrs is different frm what played out.north is the one that backed out,so change ur topic b4 i change u.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by babyfaceafrica: 7:35am On Apr 29, 2017
His wife made him changed his mind

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ojobek: 7:39am On Apr 29, 2017
Pavore9:
Power is addictive!
That is why another one want to die there despite his C and C look according to FFK

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by DrGoodman: 7:40am On Apr 29, 2017
And some people will be out there forcing southerners to agree to a limited time in the presidency?

What sort if dirty country is this?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ZKOSOSO(m): 7:48am On Apr 29, 2017
Yes u did.... so what?? So fackkin whaaat..??

Southerners deliberately sell themselves out cheaply cos of the 'high sounding North ' if GEJ were to be a Fulani would the North say he cannot go for the second term??

If today the Yoruba can forget the War and tightly bond with the SS n SE, the Middlebelt would follow suit and by extension the whole Christian North. Leaving out the HausaFulaniKanuris-Muslims only who are less the 4million voters...minus rigging with foreigners.

The south and middlebelt can keep the presidency forever...!

No HausaFulaniKanuris-Muslims can develop Nigeria. They care only for Islamisation of the whole land....as instructed by Saudi..

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ZombieTAMER: 7:58am On Apr 29, 2017
Power is meant for northerners
Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by brainpulse: 8:05am On Apr 29, 2017
This goatluck dumb clueless mofo is a liar. He said before he had never at anywhere or at any point in time had any agreement with anybody on not going for a second term in office.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by VIPERVENOM(m): 8:06am On Apr 29, 2017
I think the ppl below me will say something
Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 29, 2017
Oga Jona shot up na una put us for all these nonsense today. you go allow APC win.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by smartty68(m): 8:07am On Apr 29, 2017
This country again

1 Share

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 29, 2017
Forget the cock and bull story. Oga Jona you backed out because you are no different from any other lying, thieving politician. Greed and the need to hold on to power with no recourse whatsoever on what is best for the poor masses, just like Obj wanted third term as well as how Bubu is clinging to power despite his poor health that was how and why you backed out of the one term agreement.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by ziccoit: 8:08am On Apr 29, 2017
This is some people hero. Can't stop laughing

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by Aburi001: 8:08am On Apr 29, 2017
Pavore9:
Power is addictive!
Power without control ends in disgrace

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by absoluteSuccess: 8:10am On Apr 29, 2017
GEJ in the news again.

Here comes PDP presidential flagbearer come 2019.

Wait and see.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Why I Backed Out On One Term Agreement by miqos02(m): 8:11am On Apr 29, 2017
we hear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obi, Umeh, Obiano & Chidoka Pictured At Allen Onyema's 25th Wedding Anniversary / Kamal Ladejobi: 'Fayose Has Not Touched A Newspaper Since He Became Governor' / Ekiti Lawmakers Storm NASS Over DSS Invasion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.